Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,776 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    actually, ok boggles, you're right, gerrard is no good playing playing off Torres, no good playing in CM, in fact i don't even know why we bother keeping him in the team. useless he is.

6a00bf76d09e10438300c2251debfe8e1d-500pi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Boggles wrote: »
    If you had read back, you would have seen the points you made have already been raised and argued, I'm not going to argue with every Scouse who comes in and reads from the red tinted hymn sheet. ;)

Boggie you never argue valid points and you know it.
    Somebody will make 3 points to you, and you ignore two of them, and (seeing as you wanted to bring the word up) go off on a tangent about something said in the third, hence avoiding the points that proved you wrong.

It's just what you do.

In fact I call it "doing a Boggles".;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ahhh "funny" pictures. That well known 100% proven way to win any internet argument.

Boggie you never argue valid points and you know it.
    Somebody will make 3 points to you, and you ignore two of them, and (seeing as you wanted to bring the word up) go off on a tangent about something said in the third, hence avoiding the points that proved you wrong.

It's just what you do.

In fact I call it "doing a Boggles".;)

What are you talking about?

What he posted was nothing new, he admitted not knowing why we were talking about Gerrard and Carrick, so obviously he didn't read back.

Whats it really got to do with you anyways, are you the Liverpool thread Hall monitor?, butt out glass half full boy, he is big enough to post his own arguements. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Boggles - think back to the late 90’s, early 2000’s. Steven Gerrard played the first 6 or so years of his career almost exclusively at CM (Houllier did play him the odd time at Right Back or on the right). Despite the fact that he was only in his late teens/early 20s he was called up to the England squad as a CM and went to Euro 2000. He was PFA Young player of the year (as a CM) and was voted in the team of the season 3 times before Rafa ever moved him to the right in the 05/06 season.

Just because he’s better used in an attacking role doesn’t take away from the fact that he is a magnificent central midfielder. In 2004, every big club in Europe wanted to buy Steven Gerrard the CM, not Steven Gerrard the Winger, or support striker. How many of these clubs would Carrick have to choose from where United to sell him now? Not many I’d say. Because, he’s a good CM, nothing more. Gerrard was exceptional at CM, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If he wasn’t, why were clubs valuing him at 30m pounds at the age of 24, when he’d played almost exclusively in that role?

And although he’s rarely deployed there now for Liverpool when everyone’s fit, he can still give masterful performances in the centre. Last season’s Merseyside derby at Goodison is a great example.

• Advertisement

*sigh*

I did read back.

I do know why you were talking about them.

I still don't see the relevance of on-going discussion comparing them. Or dragging in Frank Lampard opinion. Or talking about England and thier WC qualifying performances.

And as an open thread isn't everyone allowed to get involved. I mean I like you and all but I don't want to talk to just you. No offence and all but it would get a little....limiting. You're just not my type, it's not you, it's me, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A new book was launched in Liverpool last night and it looks super,one of the lads from Irish Kop was at the launch.I will copy his post and a few pics.I cant wait for this book and have ordered it just now.

Secret Diary of a Liverpool Scout

51e6bjw0kklss5001ed9a4.jpg

It was my very great privelege to attend the launch of the new book about Geoff Twentyman tonight. Ken Rogers compared and Geoffs son Will spoke very movingly about how much this book means to him and his family. Phil Neal was there along with the worlds most handsome man Gary Gillespie and The Bionic Carrot who each had some great stories about Geoff.

The book is based around Geoffs diaries and notes about the players he went to see and the stars he signed for the reds between 1967 and 1986, along with a biography of his own playing days and very brief managerial career.

I absolutely cannot wait to get stuck into the book and I'll let you know what its like in a day or two.

At the event they brought along Geoffs diary and unbelievably allowed me to leaf through it. I stood next to Phil Neal when he found his own entry, apparently for the first time and it was brilliant the way he remembered the other two players that Twentyman had taken notes on from that game. After Phil Neal went away I had a good mooch through it on my own and managed to get a snap of one page..

geofftwentymanbooklaunc.jpg

In the next picture we have Davey Fairclough, Gillespie, Carra, The Author Simon Hughes (I think), Phil Neal and Will Twentyman. I don't know the lad on the end though.

This season is my fortieth since I started going the game as a six year old in the boys pen and to hold the notebook that contained the scouts reports on the players I had watched up until 1986 was simply unbelievable. I absolutely cannot wait to get stuck into this book and I'll deffo report on here about it in a day or two.

He was PFA Young player of the year (as a CM)

So was Jenas. Young won it last year FFS, there is slight bias towards British players.
    Just because he’s better used in an attacking role doesn’t take away from the fact that he is a magnificent central midfielder. In 2004, every big club in Europe wanted to buy Steven Gerrard the CM, not Steven Gerrard the Winger, or support striker. How many of these clubs would Carrick have to choose from where United to sell him now? Not many I’d say. Because, he’s a good CM, nothing more. Gerrard was exceptional at CM, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If he wasn’t, why were clubs valuing him at 30m pounds at the age of 24, when he’d played almost exclusively in that role?

5/6 years ago, we are talking about now.
    And although he’s rarely deployed there now for Liverpool when everyone’s fit, he can still give masterful performances in the centre. Last season’s Merseyside derby at Goodison is a great example.

Giggs (a left winger) had his best performance against Everton in the centre last season, doing it once proves nothing I'm afriad.

A central midfielder has to be constantly dependable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Interesting summary of the new book Secret Diary of a Liverpool Scout in the Echo:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-24338468/

Consider this, no fewer than six members of Liverpool’s first European Cup winning team had been signed on Twentyman’s recommendation.

Kevin Keegan, Ray Clemence, Terry McDermott, Phil Neal, Joey Jones and Steve Heighway were the players in question, all brought to Anfield for a relative pittance and going on to become key figures as Liverpool became the continent’s greatest team.

Seven years later and Rome was again the venue. This time, nine members of Joe Fagan’s 16 man squad were Twentyman discoveries and Liverpool were crowned European champions for the fourth time.

The brief given to Twentyman all those years ago holds true for Rafa today:
    The brief given to Twentyman by Shankly upon his arrival at Anfield was simple – to “make Liverpool successful by the cheapest way possible” – and like so many of his successors he quickly found out that money did not always flow as freely in L4 as it did at other clubs.

I said it at the start of the summer, the Gerrard/Torres partnership would have to be broken up for the club to be successful, even more so now that Alonso has left.

What, and play Gerrard at central midfield? Where he is no better than Michael Carrick, who goes missing at the sight of a top-class midfield opponent? You’re clearly taking the p*ss now. Gerrard was our best player hands down last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

A central midfielder has to be constantly dependable.

Like Anderson & Carrick?

you are surely on a wind up?:eek:

What are you talking about?

What he posted was nothing new, he admitted not knowing why we were talking about Gerrard and Carrick, so obviously he didn't read back.

Whats it really got to do with you anyways, are you the Liverpool thread Hall monitor?, butt out glass half full boy, he is big enough to post his own arguements. ;)

I jump in and argue with you Boogles cause if I don't somebody will invariably just assume you're trolling.
    And nobody wants to go through that argument again.

(By the way, well done on going off on a tangent again, and ignoring my arguments.;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So was Jenas. Young won it last year FFS, there is slight bias towards British players.

Despite playing for the league champions for the past 3 years, how come Carrick hasn't be called up for more than 2 competitive games for England. Why hasn't this English midfielder in the heart of the midfield of the Champions not been awarded any of these awards?

Where he is no better than Michael Carrick, who goes missing at the sight of a top-class midfield opponent?

Absolute bollix and a complete myth. :rolleyes:

Despite playing for the league champions for the past 3 years, how come Carrick hasn't be called up for more than 2 competitive games for England. Why hasn't this English midfielder in the heart of the midfield of the Champions not been awarded any of these awards?

As you said, inept management?

5/6 years ago, we are talking about now.

What, so he has lost all the qualities that made him a top class central midfielder 5/6 years ago?
    The fact is, Rafa likes to play a certain system. 2 disciplined central midfielders, giving 4 attacking players and full backs more freedom.
    Playing Gerrard as one of these 2 would be fine, but he’d have to curtail his natural instincts and would be playing at about 75% all the time. That’s why it makes
    More sense to play him in advanced positions.

Like Anderson & Carrick?

you are surely on a wind up?:eek:

Yes Carrick.

Anderson is a young reserve midfielder. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Accounting for the fact that Gerrard is out of the Ingerland team for minor groin strain, and accepting that he will probably still start against Spurs this coming weekend:

Do people expect a full 90 minutes from him? Spurs have been impressive in pre-season while Liverpool have been subjected to torrential transfer speculation, so much so that Alonso did leave, and Mascherano may well yet... Carragher is rumoured to be carrying an injury (I have yet to read anything on this since maybe 2 days ago), and there has been an exodus of defensive cover (regardless of whether die hards consider them chaff or not).

What do we see at FT, Sunday @ 5:45 approx?

Carrick is dependable against crap teams. I’m sorry, I watch an awful lot of United, and to be honest, limited though they may be, I would trust Fletcher and Anderson against any good team before I’d trust Carrick. It’s not a myth at all

At which point we now are no longer comparing SG and Crrick we're just talking about Carrick.

Boggles - people keep making teh same points to you because:

(A) They happen to be true

and

(B) You ignore them or gloss past them

If you want to be taken in any way seriously you really do need to move away from soapboxing and into discussion.

• Advertisement

lee_arama wrote: »
    Accounting for the fact that Gerrard is out of the Ingerland team for minor groin strain, and accepting that he will probably still start against Spurs this coming weekend:

Do people expect a full 90 minutes from him? Spurs have been impressive in pre-season while Liverpool have been subjected to torrential transfer speculation, so much so that Alonso did leave, and Mascherano may well yet... Carragher is rumoured to be carrying an injury (I have yet to read anything on this since maybe 2 days ago), and there has been an exodus of defensive cover (regardless of whether die hards consider them chaff or not).

What do we see at FT, Sunday @ 5:45 approx?

Mascherano will not be leaving.
    Regardless of whether Gerrard plays or not, we should beat Spurs, who have defensive injury troubles to rival our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yes Carrick.

carricks form has been up & down (to say the least) over the last 2 years. now i know you're on a wind up & can get back to work. he disappears against decent opposition. he is, by no definition, dependable.

Anderson is a young reserve midfielder? :D
    18m?
    starting place when fit pretty much all the time since he arrived at OT (incl CL final)?

Boggles you're a legend.
    You manage to talk out o your ar$e while stuill saying nothing, and ignore any and every post that you can't think of anything to rebut with.

Gotta love it.

As you said, inept management?

And what about being completely overlooked for these awards?

And what about being completely overlooked for these awards?

But sure didn't Giggs get player of the year last season, something you were passionately against. You don't rate awards do you? ;)

carricks form has been up & down (to say the least) over the last 2 years. now i know you're on a wind up & can get back to work. he disappears against decent opposition. he is, by no definition, dependable.

I have come to the conclusion that people who say this about Carrick are either holding a grudge or know absoutely nothing about football.
    Anderson is a young reserve midfielder? :D
    18m?
    starting place when fit pretty much all the time since he arrived at OT (incl CL final)?

Yes Reserve midfielder, we had 2 senior central midfielders out of the final, so yeah what you do then is bring in your backup. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Yes Carrick.

Anderson was a very regular starter during 2008, fell away second half of last season. He probably got more plaudits in 07/08 than Carrick, an experience international several years his senior.

But don't let such things concern you, it's only my opinion, and as such unlikely to be taken into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

But sure didn't Giggs get player of the year last season, something you were passionately against. You don't rate awards do you? ;)

Well i reckon that Gerrard would make a far better right back (or is that left back can never get that right ;) )than Wes Brown, so really Liverpool should probably have just moved him to right back and spent the 17m they wasted on Johnson on a new partner for Torres...

Gerrard is a far more effective central midfield player than Carrick in the same way Rooney is a more effective left winger than Nani but that doesn't mean either should play there... Come up for some Daylight there Boggles.

I have come to the conclusion that people who say this about Carrick are either holding a grudge or know absoutely nothing about football.

On Carrick – I have no grudge, and think he’s a good player. But having watched him play numerous games against bad midfields, and numerous games against good midfields, it’s clear to me that he doesn’t have the strength, determination, character, ability or whatever to compete with the very best midfielders – Liverpool and Barcelona were two obvious examples from last season.

• Advertisement

On Carrick – I have no grudge, and think he’s a good player. But having watched him play numerous games against bad midfields, and numerous games against good midfields, it’s clear to me that he doesn’t have the strength, determination, character, ability or whatever to compete with the very best midfielders – Liverpool and Barcelona were two obvious examples from last season.

He went off injured against Liverpool in the first match at half time, had a decent game in the second where United dominated possession.

Against Barcalona, he more or less was stuck in central midfield on his own.

What about Barcalona twice the season before?

He went off injured against Liverpool in the first match at half time, had a decent game in the second where United dominated possession.

Against Barcalona, he more or less was stuck in central midfield on his own.

What about Barcalona twice the season before?

United dominated nothing in that second game, and Carrick was awful. Yes, Liverpool’s goals mostly came from nothing situations, but we’d loads of other chances. Mascherano and Lucas completely dominated the midfield that day.

Barcelona twice the season before, where Barca basically had the ball for 180 minutes of football but couldn’t get past United’s defense? To be honest I don’t remember Carrick having the ball much in that game. All I remember is Evra defending brilliantly against Messi, and Brown having a great game at CB. And United scoring a great goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm sorry, but I've been LOLing at the last too-many-pages of comparing Carrick to Gerrard.

Seriously, CARRICK????? There is no comparison, Carrick is not, never was, nor ever will be, remotely comparable to the class of midfielder / player of Gerrards ability - and thats all I'm going to say on that.

BTW - my missus' sister is in Liverpool, was talking to Jamie Carragher - and he should be fit the weekend ;)

Look, it’s simple. You could ask any manager in Europe who they’d rather have in the middle of the park for them – Michael Carrick or Steven Gerrard.
    I’d be amazed if even one chose Carrick. Privately, I think we all know Ferguson would choose Gerrard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I think genuinely Carrick would be most united fans fourth choice center midfield player behind Hargreaves, Fletcher and Anderson. If they had to choose them. Anderson came back from the Olympics and picked up an injury and the season gone was a bit of a mess for him but to say he is a reserve is not correct, in the 08 season he played most of the big games and played well in them.

But last season was a bit of a disaster for him!

I really wish I wasn't in a training course and could reply to your posts properly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Gerrard and Carrick LOL
    Not only is Gerrard a better player but he can turn a whole game by himself, the man is amazing, his determination and drive, he's the heart and soul of the Liverpool team. Eh Carrick is a mere mortal compared to the God that is Stevie G!

I agree the right decision was to drop Gerrard from the centre and bring in someone like Carrick.

Honestly I can hardly read this argument anymore. I think you are the only person in the world who thinks Carrick is a better CM than Stevie. I have lost count of the number of people(friends, random people etc) who support Utd and other teams who would give anything to have Gerrard in their team in CM or otherwise. You really cant be going around comparing a workhorse midfielder like Carrick to one of the most talented people ever to play football its nonsensical.

On the topic of your above quote I would say any England manager who dropped Gerrard in favor of Carrick would want to have their next job lined up before doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Gerrard and Carrick LOL
    Not only is Gerrard a better player but he can turn a whole game by himself, the man is amazing, his determination and drive, he's the heart and soul of the Liverpool team. Eh Carrick is a mere mortal compared to the God that is Stevie G!
    Stop ganging up on Boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Nicely done
    Lol

PiE wrote: »
    Stop ganging up on Boggles.

I never said what your saying is rubbish, your talking out your @rse, i wish we could make you disappear, you know nothing about football.

See, because i can debate and play nice at the same time, big hugs and kisses tulip xxx

• Advertisement

I have to laugh at all the thanks that post got LOL, the @ss kissing is priceless from the usual suspects.
    Get a room boys :pac::pac:

Now I feel bullied too.:(

Now I feel bullied too.:(

Very Original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Back to class lads, back to class.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Back to class lads, back to class.

They obviously got that room :D

They obviously got that room :D

English, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Boggles you are an absolute hero. Despite being quite obviously the most wrong you've EVER been in your life, theres something admirable about your dogedness and refusal to back down in the face of universal opposition. God bless you, my man, never ever change your ways. Great read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Despite being quite obviously the most wrong you've EVER been in your life

Does this trump him trying to convince us that left was right and right was left?

No, the left/right affair is still top.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

thebhoy wrote: »
    Confirmed so far

boards username - team

thebhoy - The Damned United
    wcarey1975 - the also rans
    redzerdrog - redzers rejects
    Crash Bang Wall - the Tangerines.
    aaronh007 - Aaron's Red Barons
    Brando_ie - KanesOldMan FC
    SlickRic - The Aqualoving 11
    SWAR - Abu Dhabi do Pool
    Board@Work - board@worklfc
    tok9 - Bounard F.C
    Yom 1 - The Yomstars
    ~Rebel~ - Fritzel's Kids
    DrumSteve - FunkyZeit
    Macker1 - Rafa's Revenge
    Karmafaerie - SuperCool FC
    missingtime - The Plucky Underdogs
    Jayob10 - Robert Mugabe XI
    jesus_thats_gre - Back of the net
    Pyjamarama - Igglephans
    mada999 - madas muppets
    Eire-Dearg - Pathetic Athletic
    micks - Hmmm
    internelligent - Devastating Dave
    whatawaster -The Neros
    GBX - Red Star Byrne FC
    Pimpey - Pimpey's Ho's
    joe123 - Anfield of Dreams©
    BastardPrince - mullerXI
    livinginkorea - LiverpoolKorea

WibblyWobblyWonders
    Poul Road XI
    Sheilas shop
    The Burger Barry's
    Teeth_or_Feet
    FC XeRo
    Rustys Babes
    The Penguins
    Red_Alibabba - - - > THIS IS ME
    This Year
    Deadly Buzz fc
    FC Inter Your Ma
    Torres & Co.
    Longball merchants

PM me for code, and let me know what team your managing.

Edit:
    Whats the consensus on closing the league to new players once the season has started?

:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement