Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A little thing i've noticed with regards to Nemeth. This preseason he's always been given an important number, despite already having squad number 50. Before Nando came back, he wore the 9, and since then he's worn 7. I wonder is this Rafa and the coaches way of showing their belief in him and telling him he's special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A little thing i've noticed with regards to Nemeth. This preseason he's always been given an important number, despite already having squad number 50. Before Nando came back, he wore the 9, and since then he's worn 7. I wonder is this Rafa and the coaches way of showing their belief in him and telling him he's special.

Nemeth has the squad number 29.

Nemeth has the squad number 29.

apologies, got himself and pacheco's numbers mixed up in my head, i see them in the same light a lot, as a bit of a future partnership. point stands.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The Liverpool team in full: Reina, Johnson, Insua, San Jose, Carragher, Lucas, Mascherano, Gerrard, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Plessis, Degen, Voronin, Riera, Alonso, Kelly, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, Dossena.

Pretty much first choice X1 available tonight, and Rafa says a lot of them will play 60+ mins as well tonight. Those LFCTV streams over vlc are fantastic as well.

Very telling though that Xabi is on the bench given that all the other first teams available are starting.

apologies, got himself and pacheco's numbers mixed up in my head, i see them in the same light a lot, as a bit of a future partnership. point stands.

I'd say it's more down the fact that they didn't bother bringing a full compliment of jerseys with them.

I do think Nemeth will step up this season however.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

5starpool wrote: »
    Those LFCTV streams over vlc are fantastic as well.

one going for this?

The Liverpool team in full: Reina, Johnson, Insua, San Jose, Carragher, Lucas, Mascherano, Gerrard, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Plessis, Degen, Voronin, Riera, Alonso, Kelly, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, Dossena.

Pretty much first choice X1 available tonight, and Rafa says a lot of them will play 60+ mins as well tonight. Those LFCTV streams over vlc are fantastic as well.

Very telling though that Xabi is on the bench given that all the other first teams available are starting.

Very telling is right.

mayordenis wrote: »
    one going for this?

Just go to this page:

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=44436&part=sports

and click on the play link on the first link under the LFCTV section and it will open up in your default media player (WMP for most I guess)

Easier than me typing it out (probably with errors).

Just go to this page:

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=44436&part=sports

and click on the play link on the first link under the LFCTV section and it will open up in your default media player (WMP for most I guess)

Easier than me typing it out (probably with errors).

That is a perfect looking stream alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Real Madrid representives met Purslow in a Barcelona today.

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/125569-real-holds-talks-with-lfc.html

• Advertisement

Lets not post scores here.
    Lots of people will be watching it on LFC TV later.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61424024#post61424024

Lets not post scores here.
    Lots of people will be watching it on LFC TV later.
    ok

spoiler tags are our friend until later then.

Damn stream keeps going down for me :(

Must be my connection I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

mayordenis wrote: »
    not even similar in the slightest.

And if you bothered to read the post rather than pass judgement you would see I never said he was similar. I said he could be as useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

if we manage to hold on to alonso this summer, would anyone else be worried by the possibility of losing both alonso and masch next year, and having to build another cm partnership, or do you think winning the premiership title will be enough to persuade them to stay. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

thebhoy wrote: »
    if we manage to hold on to alonso this summer, would anyone else be worried by the possibility of losing both alonso and masch next year, and having to build another cm partnership, or do you think winning the premiership title will be enough to persuade them to stay. ;)

Alonso is gone in my opinion. Masch will probably go next year. Its a ****e state of affairs. We are so close and then all this bollacks starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

probably be better to lose alonso now and masch next year, than to lose the pair of them next summer. Although, like i say, we do hav a better chance of winning the league this year wit alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

thebhoy wrote: »

I`d rather keep both this year and lose both next year than lose Alonso now and Masch next year TBH, which looks like the way things will play out. Only 2 weeks to the Start of the league, no replacement yet, and players being touted as possible replacements dont look like the answer to me at all, not to mention having to adapt to English football, new team, system etc. Tell Real to shove it, tell Xabi one more year and lets push for the title.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If a player wants to leave then they should go, better off without them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Dcully wrote: »

Except in the instance of Alonso this season.

He can't afford to be pissed off and below par in a World Cup year, his replacement looks likely to be perma crock Aquilani meaning Lucas will get too much game time.

All in all I think we'd be better off with him than without him this coming season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Except in the instance of Alonso this season.

He can't afford to be pissed off and below par in a World Cup year, his replacement looks likely to be perma crock Aquilani meaning Lucas will get too much game time.

All in all I think we'd be better off with him than without him this coming season.

Very little talk about Alonso in the last couple of days. Maybe Real have to sell a few players! The money has to run out some time. Still think it's 50/50.

Masch is going nowhere.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Very little talk about Alonso in the last couple of days. Maybe Real have to sell a few players! The money has to run out some time. Still think it's 50/50.

Masch is going nowhere.

Real have admitted as much recently, they have 29 first team players. They seem to want rid of the Dutch contingent. None of them would really fit into our system all that comfortable though.

Dcully wrote: »

Well if reports are to be believed the only people reporting that Alonso handed in a transfer request was the liverpool echo, his representatives said he didn`t, hes not on the record as wanting to leave, Real wont meet our valuation. Under those circumstances i`d say Stuff Real, Xabi has a 3 year contract and a pro and will play, keep him one more season, more time to find a replacement etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Real have admitted as much recently, they have 29 first team players. They seem to want rid of the Dutch contingent. None of them would really fit into our system all that comfortable though.

Even Real have money worries! I can see why getting rid of a few is reasonable.
    Well if reports are to be believed the only people reporting that Alonso handed in a transfer request, his representatives said he didn`t, hes not on the record as wanting to leave, Real wont meet our valuation. Under those circumstances i`d say Stuff Real, Xabi has a 3 year contract and a pro and will play, keep him one more season, more time to find a replacement etc

The last couple of quiet couple of days would back that up. Liverpool are in no hurry to sell, which was forgotten. Alonso wants to go to Real, shock horror!

Rafa faces the same the problems as SAF, who do you buy?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

if lucas is a dead cert to start for pool then the league may as well be gone!

mink_man wrote: »

At least we can be glad he is better than Anderson.

few quick bits on tonights game.

First off, poor performance.

Lucas, however, was fantastic. Always looking forward, rarely giving the ball away and playing some fantastic passes.

Degen is probably the stupidest footballer i have ever seen. He has absolutely no ability to read a game. constantly out of position and constantly fouling as a result. Just terrible for the second goal too. I would be more comfortable with any of the cb's, darby or masch at RB then him.

Plessis continued his resurgence after a poor year, looked very composed on the ball, never fazed when recieving it under pressure, always able to find a man.

Also, i definately want Kelly to be number 4 cb, just dont think san jose is up to it yet. Carra clearly didn't trust him either, constantly moved across to cover even when san jose wasn't out of position. we may as well have been playing with 1 cb.

pool really need to step up a few gears before the league starts.

I'd be more comfortable with Reina as rb than Degen from what I have seen of him.

mink_man wrote: »

Did you watch any of the game tonight? What are you basing this on exactly?
    Lucas had a great game and was easily one of our best players tonight. Was really impressed by him. I think he had a very good finish to last season and has had a solid preseason.

I think its a shame that some ''fans'' give him a hard time even when he plays well, asked them why and they come out with the same old drival. If he starts he starts because Rafa picks the team and he deserves to start, writing him off before a minute of premier league football has started is pathetic TBH, especially seeing that his form has been really good lately.

IMO He can handle himself well, he has been great against top teams last season, he just needs to be a bit more consistant, he`s young and will learn. He will be an important player for us next season. Give him a break ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

IMO Lucas and Plessis have been are best performers in pre-season.

To the lads talking about the Alonso transfer slowing down media wise, I notice that most of ins and outs come in the first half of the week and slow again come Friday - Sunday. I hope he stays and if the stories are true that he didn't hand in transfer request, I hope Rafa tells Real to stuff their offer.

But I can't see it happening and IMO he'll be gone by Wednesday :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Alonso is gone in my opinion. Masch will probably go next year. Its a ****e state of affairs. We are so close and then all this bollacks starts.

karma innit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Helix wrote: »
    karma innit

I don't know if thats a word or are you just still upset about the whole Barry affair that happened 12 months a go. Does he still play for Villa? I don't know myself as I don't pay attention to the comings and goings that occur at small clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

Fromvert wrote: »
    I don't know if thats a word or are you just still upset about the whole Barry affair that happened 12 months a go. Does he still play for Villa? I don't know myself as I don't pay attention to the comings and goings that occur at small clubs.

you just ooze class, you do.....

Helix wrote: »
    karma innit

Nothing to do with Karma, more like Business. When you have good players other Teams will want to buy them to make their team better and more competitive leading to winning trophies leading to more fans leading to bigger profits etc etc.

i definately want Kelly to be number 4 cb

Liverpool have turned down a request from Huddersfield to take Kelly on loan again this season. Rafa wants to keep him on at the club, so must rate him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Degen is probably the stupidest footballer i have ever seen. He has absolutely no ability to read a game. constantly out of position and constantly fouling as a result. Just terrible for the second goal too. I would be more comfortable with any of the cb's, darby or masch at RB then him.

I still have yet to have the pleasure of seeing Degan play, but if he is as poor as you say (and i have read a few reports on last nights game) how in the name of fowler did we sign him? I know videos can be carefully edited to show players playing well, but surely some scout has to be getting a bit of a ear full for letting this one slip through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Looks like the Xabi saga is moving towards it end-game stage.

Also according to this is that Aquilani is pretty much lined up

A bit worried about Dagger's recurring back problems.
    Liverpool FC close to selling Xabi Alonso as Real Madrid agree fee

Aug 3 2009 Liverpool Daily Post

XABI ALONSO’S departure from Liverpool is close to being sealed after Real Madrid agreed to meet Liverpool’s asking price.

The Spaniards have indicated they will go to a fee in the region of £30million to secure Alonso the move he has been craving all summer.

Anfield officials met with Real executive director-general José Ángel Sánchez yesterday and they stepped up their bid to finally bring an end to their pursuit of the playmaker.

Real capitalised on the fact that Liverpool were in Spain last night and held the talks in the team hotel in Barcelona prior to the 3-0 friendly defeat at the hands of Espanyol.

Although a deal was not struck, sufficient progress was made to convince Madrid that a final agreement is close.

Rafael Benitez has insisted all along that he will not accept a knockdown offer for the 27-year-old despite Alonso having indicated that he is ready to leave Anfield.

And the Liverpool manager’s patience appears to be paying off as Real finally got closer to the kind of bid he is looking for.

With Roma star Alberto Aquilani already lined up as Alonso’s successor Benitez will be keen for Real to put their money where their mouth has been and finally bring an end to the transfer saga.

The chances of that happening appear to have been boosted after reports in Spain suggested that the Bernabeu coffers will shortly be swollen to the tune of £18m due to the impending sale of Dutchman Wesley Sneijder to Inter Milan.

One of the main sticking points in Real’s pursuit of Alonso in recent weeks has been their insistence that they did not have the ready cash to meet Benitez’s demands following a spending spree that has seen them spend in excess of £165m on Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Karim Benzema.

Benitez has always remained adamant that this is not his nor Liverpool’s problem however and has continually made it clear that unless his value of Alonso is met then he will not be allowed to leave.

With the two parties now edging closer to an agreement and with a channel of communication now flowing freely again between Anfield and the Bernabeu it is looking increasingly likely that a deal will be struck in the coming days.

Benitez’s reluctance to give Alonso any more than a substitute’s appearance in the dying stages of last nights’s defeat at the hands of Espanyol was a telling sign of how close an agreement is with the Liverpool manager clearly unwilling to put the Spanish international at risk of the kind of injury that could place the deal in jeopardy.

Alonso’s presence was sorely missed, particularly in the second half as Liverpool struggled with their passing and allowed Espanyol to take full advantage.

Daniel Agger missed the game with a recurring back problem and was today due to undergo treatment at Melwood after Liverpool returned to Merseyside in the early hours of this morning.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/08/03/liverpool-fc-close-to-selling-xabi-alonso-as-real-madrid-agree-fee-92534-24300712/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

few quick bits on tonights game.

Lucas, however, was fantastic. Always looking forward, rarely giving the ball away and playing some fantastic passes.

Jeez, can't understand the Lucas love-in here. He had a decent game. He was positive, he harried the opposition, got a lot of "toe-ins" to disrupt, and generally played it neat and simple without giving away possession. You could argue that he was Liverpool's best player (though I thought Gerrard was better). Lucas though was not near "fantastic", he never looked like creating a scoring opportunity, and there was not one fantastic pass played by a Liverpool player, including Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Jeez, can't understand the Lucas love-in here. He had a decent game. He was positive, he harried the opposition, got a lot of "toe-ins" to disrupt, and generally played it neat and simple without giving away possession. You could argue that he was Liverpool's best player (though I thought Gerrard was better). Lucas though was not near "fantastic", he never looked like creating a scoring opportunity, and there was not one fantastic pass played by a Liverpool player, including Lucas.

Well when you consider that he's continually rated as "rubbish" when he has an average game, it's only fair that he's rated as "fantastic" when he has a good game, non?

Alonso to a spainish journalists after being told that talks had taken place between Liverpool and Real.

"Oh really? Well it's good to know that Madrid and Liverpool are talking seriously now. I decided long ago to stay away from what is happening. My position on the matter has been very clear and everyone knows it. I am a professional and I am ready to accept whatever agreement is reached. I just hope it is resolved soon, for better or worse."

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/125573-alonso-breaks-transfer-silence.html

• Advertisement

The whole "I'm a professional/he's a professional" guff is really starting to grate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

PiE wrote: »
    The whole "I'm a professional/he's a professional" guff is really starting to grate.

Why? He has dealt with it in a proper manner. No public tantrums, no running to the press over and over. He made it clear from day one that he would like to play for Madrid, but stated if the deal did not happen he would still give 100% in a red shirt and would still be at a top team.

From what I can see he has been honest in what he has said and done, and while I am not happy with the idea of him leaving, I am not going to slate a guy for coming out and being honest and not whinging in the press to get his move like many other players have done, nor has he tried to bs the supporters with a "I will never leave/ I will sign a new contract" type spoof.

I will be gutted if he goes, and he will be hard to replace, very hard. But top players have left in the past, and will leave in the future. The club will always replace them, sometimes with an inferior player, and sometimes with a superior player.

If the transfer comes off, I will remember him as a top player for us, one that was a credit to the shirt both on and off the pitch, one that left many good memories. I will hope that he does well in his career except for when his team gets drawn against LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I think Alonso's done the right thing by generally keeping quiet. It's a bit odd that he needed to be told by a journalist that Liverpool and Madrid had been having fresh talks though.

Did you watch any of the game tonight? What are you basing this on exactly?
    Lucas had a great game and was easily one of our best players tonight. Was really impressed by him. I think he had a very good finish to last season and has had a solid preseason.

I think its a shame that some ''fans'' give him a hard time even when he plays well, asked them why and they come out with the same old drival. If he starts he starts because Rafa picks the team and he deserves to start, writing him off before a minute of premier league football has started is pathetic TBH, especially seeing that his form has been really good lately.

IMO He can handle himself well, he has been great against top teams last season, he just needs to be a bit more consistant, he`s young and will learn. He will be an important player for us next season. Give him a break ffs

I'm sure the lad can speak for himself but I'd generally have a similar point of view on Lucas.

I would base that on two years of utter ****e performances in games that mean something. Even Bruno Cheyrou managed a good performance in a preseason friendly, so to read anything into it (especially when we get humped three nil by a midtable Spanish side) is laughable.

I genuinely don't understand how people can rate Lucas.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Why? He has dealt with it in a proper manner. No public tantrums, no running to the press over and over. He made it clear from day one that he would like to play for Madrid, but stated if the deal did not happen he would still give 100% in a red shirt and would still be at a top team.

From what I can see he has been honest in what he has said and done, and while I am not happy with the idea of him leaving, I am not going to slate a guy for coming out and being honest and not whinging in the press to get his move like many other players have done, nor has he tried to bs the supporters with a "I will never leave/ I will sign a new contract" type spoof.
    It means nothing - it's turned into a catchphrase at this stage. Every comment or story about Alonso seems to be preceded with the caveat that he can dick around all he likes because you know, he's a professional! It means nothing.

I think keeping quiet is the worst thing he can do. Either commit or go. Him saying "I don't mind if I go or stay" is rubbish - he clearly wants out but doesn't want to appear to be the bad guy if it doesn't come off. Which is fair enough, just cut out the crap.

It's Madrid and LIverpool that are dicking about, not Xabi.

He's not helping matters by pretending to stick his head in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

PiE wrote: »
    He's not helping matters by pretending to stick his head in the sand.

He came out at the start of the summer and stated what he thought and stated that he would not be getting involved in the media speculation. How is that sticking his head in the sand?

Would you prefer if he started to mouth off in the press and complain in public? From what I can see, Xabi is doing thing in the Liverpool way. Keeping quiet in public and letting talks go on behind closed doors. We as fans were quick to complain about the owners saying things in public with lots of "it is not the Liverpool way to do things in public"

For me, doing things in private and not running to the media on everything is the right way to do things, and harks back to how the club was seen to do things in years gone by. I sure as hell am not going to complain about a player who does not cause a stink, and who has been honest about what he thinks on the matter.

It may mean nothing to you to have a player who conducts himself well, but it means something to me that a player belonging to LFC does things in a professional manner, yes there is the P word.

I called him fantastic because he has obviously consciously decided to step up to the plate. For a lot of his previous good performances, he built himself on being 'safe'. Rarely lost the ball, but didn't look forward too much, just retained posession, moved to a position to recieve again and again retained posession, beit with a pass back or a pass sideways.

Yeserday, on the other hand, every chance he got he looked forward. I think he deserves the word fantastic as he's clearly doing his damndest to improve himself and fill in the gaps from his previous performances. Can't ask more then that from a player, particularly when he did it so effectively yesterday. And a fair few of his chances could have led to scoring opportunities if others had done better, but he did his job exceptionally well and to a higher level then he did in the past.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would you prefer if he started to mouth off in the press and complain in public?
    And how exactly would that be worse than what we have now? The media is still running speculative stories every 5 minutes, Rafa's interviews/match talks are being overrun with questions about Alonso and we're still unsure of what our starting line-up will be in 3 weeks time.

If he'd come out and said "I want to go, here's my transfer request" or "I want to stay, here's me committing myself" AT THE VERY START we'd have avoided a whole summer of speculation and might actually have a cohesive unit at the start of the campaign.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement