Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

thebhoy wrote: »
    league update

boards username - team

thebhoy - The Damned United
    wcarey1975 - the also rans
    redzerdrog - redzers rejects
    Crash Bang Wall - the Tangerines.
    aaronh007 - Aaron's Red Barons
    Brando_ie - KanesOldMan FC
    SlickRic - The Aqualoving 11
    SWAR - Abu Dhabi do Pool
    Board@Work - board@worklfc
    tok9 - Bounard F.C
    Yom 1 - The Yomstars
    ~Rebel~ - Fritzel's Kids
    DrumSteve - FunkyZeit
    Macker1 - Rafa's Revenge
    Karmafaerie - SuperCool FC
    missingtime - The Plucky Underdogs
    Jayob10 - Robert Mugabe XI
    jesus_thats_gre - Back of the net
    Pyjamarama - Igglephans
    mada999 - madas muppets
    Eire-Dearg - Pathetic Athletic
    micks - Hmmm
    internelligent - Devastating Dave
    whatawaster -The Neros
    GBX - Red Star Byrne FC
    Pimpey - Pimpey's Ho's
    joe123 - Anfield of Dreams©
    BastardPrince - mullerXI
    livinginkorea - LiverpoolKorea
    gucci - Hungover Hillbillies
    Kingdom - Fred & Rose West XI
    woodyg - FC Inter Your Ma
    A-Train - A-Train Athletic

WibblyWobblyWonders
    Poul Road XI
    Sheilas shop
    The Burger Barry's
    Teeth_or_Feet
    FC XeRo
    Rustys Babes
    The Penguins
    Red_Alibabba
    This Year
    Deadly Buzz fc
    Torres & Co.
    Longball merchants - EMC2
    Stuco Celtic

PM me for code, and let me know what team your managing.

This is me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

IIRC according to Roma it was £17,000,000 rising to £19,000,000 with conditions.

The conditions were that he reaches 140 appearances, and we win either the CL or prem before 2015.

There was also a 5% sell on clause.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Lets hope Defoe has got all his scoring out of his system last night and doesnt repeat it sunday!

Torres, Riera and Kuyt all on the score sheet last night which is good.
    Johnson on the otherhand wasnt great last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

IIRC according to Roma it was £17,000,000 rising to £19,000,000 with conditions.

The conditions were that he reaches 140 appearances, and we win either the CL or prem before 2015.

tbh thats not a bad deal really. The injury probably took a good 5million off the price tag.

remarkably similer to Alonso's situation a year ago, where a lot of teh discussion on his potential sale was asking if clubs would be willing to bring in a guy with problems with injuries over the previous 2 or so seasons. Lets hope Aguilani has a similar season to what followed these questions of Alonso!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'm dissapointed we didn't pick up Cattermole for 6m. Would have been excellent backup for Mascherano.

Maybe he chose not to go to a team just to be 4th choice and on the bench in Europe?

We couldn't have played him. Would have been akin to Sidwell going to Chelsea. Bad move at this stage of his career...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

The fee for Aquilani was EUR 20m in 4 payments - of which we've only paid 5m so far. There's another 3m due in Jan, 7m next summer and 5m the following summer. Then there's bonus on top of that - 300k for every year we're in the CL, payments for # of first team appearences, a 1m bonus for the first time we win the league with him in the squad and then 5% of any sell on fee.

All detailed here:
    http://www.asroma.it/UserFiles/988.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Were those figure not in euro too?

Were those figure not in euro too?

No I converted them from Euro to STG from the report Zing posted above.

If all the conitions are met (we qualify for the CL for the next few years, win the CL or prem before 2015, and Aquilani plays a shed load of games) the mot we play is £19,000,000 or so.

Less than £20,000,000 anyway.

Just checked the figures again.

It's £17,000,000 spaced out over 5 years, and £2,700,000 in bonuses.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Question for you peoples:

In the Liverpool membership page on the official site, when you go into the Home Games section when it tells you the following:
    To purchase tickets for a match you are eligible for, click on VIEW STADIUM PLAN. This option will take you to a Stadium Plan where you can check availability and choose which Area you wish to purchase your
    ticket(s) in. The system will automatically select the best seats available in the area of your choice

Alternatively, enter the Stand, Area and number of tickets you require for the selected match and then click BUY TICKETS NOW.

is this meant to be blank at the moment because there is no ticket availability for any matches, but that come next Monday, you can apply for a ticket for the Burnley game? The things it says to click on in the text above do not exist. I've got tickets via other means in the past when I have been over, but will give this way a spin this year.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter a jot now. He may be a complete flop and we'll lose money on him, or he could be a hit and a bargain, in which case we wouldn't sell.

But not a single person here can be sure either way.

Hell, Lucas could start the season great and he might sit on the bench...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez insists new signing Alberto Aquilani will prove to be a shrewd acquisition.

The Italy international has joined the Reds in a £15million switch from Roma, but is currently sidelined with an ankle problem.

The 25-year-old has been hampered by injuries for the past two seasons, with his first-team outings severely limited as a result.

His lack of action has led to fears that his body is unable to withstand the rigours of top level football.

Benitez, though, is adamant that is not the case, claiming Aquilani has just been unfortunate to pick up a few niggling knocks.

"If Aquilani was in a normal market he would cost £25-30m but because of the operation he had on his ankle he was a bit cheaper," the Spanish coach explained in the Daily Mirror.

"We have to wait for a month for him to be fit but he is a player we are signing for five years, not for five matches.

Gamble
    "He had a bad tackle and an operation and that's normal he missed matches. It would have been the same with (Fernando) Torres or (Steven) Gerrard. That is why I don't think his signing is a gamble.

"I was talking with a lot of people in Italy and people are saying it is a fantastic signing."

Aquilani has been brought in to help plug the gap created by Xabi Alonso's departure to Real Madrid.

Benitez admits he was reluctant to part with the Spanish schemer, but believes he has found an able replacement.

"We couldn't change the situation of Alonso," he added.

"He decided to go, we had to progress. You have to mange in the best way you can.

"Alberto is now under the control of our medical staff because he had been going to different people. He has the quality to settle down in England."

I'm wondering is this a little dig at the yanks? We had to buy an injured player on the cheap because you wouldn't cough up some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'm wondering is this a little dig at the yanks? We had to buy an injured player on the cheap because you wouldn't cough up some money.
    Didn't read it that way myself - saw it more as a "look, we didn't pay THAT much for him... it's not THAT big of a transfer" in response to a lot of the "Liverpool totally overpaid for him..." etc in the tabloids.

PiE wrote: »
    Didn't read it that way myself - saw it more as a "look, we didn't pay THAT much for him... it's not THAT big of a transfer" in response to a lot of the "Liverpool totally overpaid for him..." etc in the tabloids.

yeah id read it this way as well, just saying that it wasn't a case of overpaying for an injured player, but a case of underpaying for a top quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    .... a case of underpaying for a top quality player.

hopefully this is the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Just seen that Hull are in talks with Madrid over Negredo for 12 million. He was being linked with us for a while a few weeks back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

joe123 wrote: »
    Just seen that Hull are in talks with Madrid over Negredo for 12 million. He was being linked with us for a while a few weeks back...

Hull have been 'in talks' with pretty much every player ever linked to anyone this summer. We're not going to be signing him anyway.

See!

People complain about al the pointless arguments on here, but as soon as they stop, the thread dies, and I get bored at work!:(

Lets set this straight.
    Who'd win in a streetfight.

Skrtel or Vidic?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

See!

People complain about al the pointless arguments on here, but as soon as they stop, the thread dies, and I get bored at work!:(

Lets set this straight.

Skrtel or Vidic?

Skrtel would batter him. Vidic is a nancy boy :P

See!

Rabble Rabble Rabble!
    Lets set this straight.

Skrtel or Vidic?:p
    Hmmm, Queens rules id say Vidic, but in a streetfight id say Skrtel, get the impression he'd be more open to fighting dirty.

• Advertisement

Chuck Norris checks under his bed at night for Skrtel!:D

Suplex!
    y139166069610743565.jpg

Not Gonna End Good.
    Martin-Skrtel-Robinho-Man-City-v-Liverpool_1265050.jpg

The Exact Moment That Joe Cole S**t Himself
    _44591687_cole_pa300.jpg

Even Gravity Can't Stop him!
    1DC8DFD0-B622-075D-69C1383CC1A0F277.jpg

Ninja Skrtel
    Portsmouth+v+Liverpool+Premier+League+Q0u_okDdakVl.jpg

You Should Never Show Martin A Weakness.
    img.319078_t.jpg

And He Was Never Seen Again.
    img.228545_t.jpg

Another Day In The Office
    0,,12306~3630994,00.jpg

My Ball!!!
    P141fcb22d99b_Martin_Skrtel.JPG

Skrtels_Breakfast_Nails_by_kitster29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Check out his photos from the Liverpool site.

Vidic wouldnt have a hope!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You get a thanks for the effort Karmafaerie. That clearly took a little while?

Is he upending Steven Reid in the Blackburn tackle. Someone should tell him thats not on!

Stephen Reid is Squad Number 16.
    That was the match after the 20th aniversary of Hillsborough too, so Reid was injured.

Could be Samba.
    He's No 4.

Also he was played as a forward in that game.

Interesting quotes from Aqauman today -

The Italian believes Liverpool have already got to the root of the problem and come up with a long-term solution.

He said: "At Roma my worries were linked with injury. But when I came to Liverpool, the doctor highlighted exactly the problem I have. We now have a very good picture and I hope it will be solved so that I will not be absent again."

So for all the people who dismissed the Roma injury problems - there it is from the man himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Good work Karma!

Oh, and looks like Rafa is still after a goalscorer -

"[Glen] Johnson is a good player," he said of the Reds’ new right-back.
    "We will now look for someone to help [Fernando] Torres and [Steven] Gerrard."

If that is not an admission that he is trying to sign a striker or another attacker, I dunno what is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

That was the match after the 20th aniversary of Hillsborough too, so Reid was injured.

Could be Samba.
    He's No 4.

By my powers of observation, Skrtel is wearing the older kit (not last seasons!) so its not from the day that Samba played up front, I dont know, it looks like Reid (who can put in a cruncher if needs be too!) because Samba is a bit darker?

But great pictures by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Aqulani taking the no 4 shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Could be Samba.
    He's No 4.

Where to begin....

Firstly, look at the jerseys, season 2007/08 not last season when the 20th anniversary was. Also we played Blackburn last season on the 11th April, before the anniversary.

Also, Martin Skrtel didn't play in that match, or in fact in the other league meeting last season.

Samba has a bit more colour than that and look at the shorts you can see a number preceeding the '4'.

The game was Liverpool v Blackburn at Anfield, April 13th 2008 (hence the black armbands for the 19th anniversary on the 15th). I'm pretty sure it's the only game Martin Skrtel has played against Blackburn. And the player being tackled is Steven Reid, squad number 14 that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

8-10 wrote: »
    Where to begin....

Firstly, look at the jerseys, season 2007/08 not last season when the 20th anniversary was. Also we played Blackburn last season on the 11th April, before the anniversary.

Also, Martin Skrtel didn't play in that match, or in fact in the other league meeting last season.

Samba has a bit more colour than that and look at the shorts you can see a number preceeding the '4'.

The game was Liverpool v Blackburn at Anfield, April 13th 2008 (hence the black armbands for the 19th anniversary on the 15th). I'm pretty sure it's the only game Martin Skrtel has played against Blackburn. And the player being tackled is Steven Reid, squad number 14 that season.

Who knew Jessica Fletcher subscribed to these boards?

More like Miss Marple. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

SSN reporting an EPL club has made a £4m bid for Duffer - kinda hoping it's us to add depht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    SSN reporting an EPL club has made a £4m bid for Duffer - kinda hoping it's us to add depht.

Haha, I hope it's us too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wigan. ;)

• Advertisement

So maybe it was Reid so.:o

Moving swiftly along, gotta love the Ginger.:D
    Alberto Aquilani today revealed how John Arne Riise's tales of Anfield and Rafa Benitez helped persuade him to swap Rome for Liverpool.
    Riise joined Roma 12 months ago after seven years on Merseyside - and he never tired of telling Aquilani and his other teammates about the special club he left behind.

"Obviously I am a friend of Riise's and he's spoken a lot about Liverpool to me," Aquilani told reporters at his unveiling on Thursday. "I've spoken to him about the Kop and the great fans and I can't wait to start.

"I have never played at Anfield but I have heard a lot about the unique atmosphere you breathe there.

"Rafa Benitez was very important in me coming here. Riise spoke very well of him and said he could help me grow as a player.

"I was already aware and appreciated his work even before the opportunity arose to come here. I like the way the team plays and certainly it was a deciding factor.

"I'm very proud Rafa chose me. I also want to thank (chief scout) Eduardo Macia, who was very important."

Aquilani, currently sidelined with an ankle injury, spoke of his glee at the prospect of teaming up with the 'best midfielder in the world'.

The new boy is expected to operate as a defensive midfielder - though Benitez knows he can also fill in for Steven Gerrard alongside Fernando Torres.

"I am very much looking forward to playing with players of that kind," said Aquilani.

"It's a team of good players and has been for some years now. I have always liked the system of play here and the players. Even before coming here I thought Gerrard was the strongest midfielder in the world.

"I am very proud that I will be playing alongside him and I hope I can learn from him."

Aquilani also revealed his confidence about putting any injury problems in the past - and his belief that he will thrive on the physical nature of the Premier League.

"When I came here I knew about the problem with my ankle," he said. "I was seen by doctors and the doctor here has highlighted exactly the problem I have and said it can be fixed. He has a very good picture of the injury.

"I am here for the long term and I'm hopeful the problem will be cured for good.

"Obviously I want to get playing as soon as possible and I don't think that will be a problem. Obviously it's a different type of league to Italy but I don't think that will be a problem either.

"I think the Premier League is the most difficult. It's one of the best leagues and there are some very important teams here. It's a very difficult level but I'm very excited to be playing here.

"We're definitely one of the candidates to win the Premier League.

"It's a shame I can't play straight away but I am putting my all into getting better and I can't wait."

Aquilani's arrival followed the departure to Real Madrid of Xabi Alonso.

Though keen to highlight his different characteristics, the 25-year-old does hope to have a similar impact at Anfield as his Spanish counterpart.

"I hope I am going to play an important role," he said. "The manager obviously knows my characteristics and strong points and I hope to be able to fulfil all the hope he has in me.

"I am the kind of midfielder who moves around a lot. I try to combine quality with movement. I am not a static player - I move around a lot and I think this is one of my strengths.

"Xabi was very important here and I'm not his natural substitute. I don't have the exact same characteristics he has. He was very important here and I hope I can be similarly important."

Meanwhile, Aquilani was quizzed on his knowledge of Liverpool's history - and came through the test with flying colours with tales of the impact our 1984 European Cup win had on his home city.

"Everyone knows a lot about the history of Liverpool. It's world famous and not just because they have won five European Cups," said the Italy international.

"I grew up in Rome and the final with Roma was something I was very much aware of. You can't ignore the huge past this club has.

"I am very pleased. This is an important occasion for me. I'm here at a big club and I'm very happy to be here.

"I say this because Liverpool is among the strongest in the world with very important history."

Aquilani also spoke about his decision to leave his boyhood club behind and his hope that moving to England will boost his chances of making Italy's World Cup squad.

"It was a very important decision and a difficult one because I was born and grew up in Rome," he said.

"I was and I am a fan of that team, so this is a life choice for me. I think it was a good decision for everyone involved. I am very grateful to Roma for allowing me to play in Serie A and the national team, and for allowing me to come and play for a team like Liverpool.

"I spoke to (national manager) Marcello Lippi before coming here and he reassured me it definitely wouldn't be a problem. The World Cup is very big for me and I'll do my best to get there, but to do that I have to play well here. It's definitely an advantage for me being here."

Someone ****e like Hull. God how I hate Hull. ;)

Realistically: Sunderland or Wolves.

He's gotten a lot better at defending, even playing at LB for the Toon last season, and still has a trick of two. But I wouldn't play him ahead of Aurelio, Babel or even Dossena at LM, with Riera still holding the shirt.

Maybe back to Blackburn?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

5starpool wrote: »
    is this meant to be blank at the moment because there is no ticket availability for any matches, but that come next Monday, you can apply for a ticket for the Burnley game? The things it says to click on in the text above do not exist. I've got tickets via other means in the past when I have been over, but will give this way a spin this year.

The game will not show up ontill the morrning of the sale.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dub13 wrote: »
    The game will not show up ontill the morrning of the sale.

Cheers, just wanted to make sure.

What time do they go on sale in the morning?

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Cheers, just wanted to make sure.

What time do they go on sale in the morning?

08:30,I am going to that game myself have you got anything booked..?

Hertha Berlin are apparently having second thoughts about moving for Voronin.

Hertha Berlin are apparently having second thoughts about moving for Voronin.

Good. We need strikers and he is a better bet than N'gog and Babel up front.

Good god no,we should have got him in 2002 but not now.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Good god no,we should have got him in 2002 but not now.

I would take him to Anfield im a heartbeat for 4m.

noodler wrote: »
    I would take him to Anfield im a heartbeat for 4m.

He went to Newcastle for the money and or the guarantee of first team football,what make him think 1)a couple of years down the line he will play much at LFC 2)we will match his wages (or even come close to them).

He can rot at Newcastel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Lol. I'd rather we got Kewell back. Duff is a quarter the player he was in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

People are quick to write off Duff these days. I would like to see how he does in a strong team. He's done brilliantly in stronger teams in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

pwd wrote: »
    People are quick to write off Duff these days. I would like to see how he does in a strong team. He's done brilliantly in stronger teams in the past.
    He's lazy according to some. He showed what he was made of by walking away from a team like Chelsea where Mourinho had said he'd have liked him to stay and fight for his place. He opted for the money at Newcastle which say's a lot about his character imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

seems hard working to me usually
    he opted for first team football at newcastle. They only matched his wages at chelsea. Unless he was facing a wage reduction..?
    Newcastle seemed like a decent team when he moved anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement