Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

At the moment we have Riera, Benayoun, Babel and Dossena for the left wing. All are better than Duff at this time.
    Duff 5 years ago was one of the best wingers in the world. We missed the boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

noodler wrote: »
    Good. We need strikers and he is a better bet than N'gog and Babel up front.

They didn't want to buy him - now they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

pwd wrote: »
    seems hard working to me usually
    he opted for first team football at newcastle. They only matched his wages at chelsea. Unless he was facing a wage reduction..?
    Newcastle seemed like a decent team when he moved anyway.
    I don't know. He did nowt at Newcastle. Like i said i've heard he's lazy as far as training goes etc...Does'nt stay behind for to work on fitness and the like. Saying that he's alway's seemed pretty unfit for a pro footballer.Would like to know the stats on the amount of games he's played out the 90 minutes<<< Opps sorry way off topic.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

pwd wrote: »
    People are quick to write off Duff these days. I would like to see how he does in a strong team. He's done brilliantly in stronger teams in the past.

Well I watched him (and the rest of the Irish team) get their asses schooled by Australia last night.

Duff did one thing in the whole match.

I'd prefer Stephen Hunt to Duff any day of the week.
    And I really, really, don't want Hunt.

I think we all remember the Ireland match were Duff had them play "You'll Never Walk Alone" in a come and get me plea to Liverpool.
    I think if we had gotten him then, both himself, Ireland, and Liverpool would have benifitted.
    But we couldn't compete with Chelski, and the rest is history.

Now, the game's moved past Duff.
    And so have LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well I watched him (and the rest of the Irish team) get their asses schooled by Australia last night.

Duff did one thing in the whole match.

I'd prefer Stephen Hunt to Duff any day of the week.
    And I really, really, don't want Hunt.

I think we all remember the Ireland match were Duff had them play "You'll Never Walk Alone" in a come and get me plea to Liverpool.
    I think if we had gotten him then, both himself, Ireland, and Liverpool would have benifitted.
    But we couldn't compete with Chelski, and the rest is history.

Now, the game's moved past Duff.
    And so have LFC.

Some of the football fans here should watch Ireland play more often than last night. Duff is always one of our better performers. There in't a thing Dossena can do better than him, Duff is a better dribbler than Riera and Yossi is on fire I admit.

He was one of the better Newcastle players last year and never misses an Ireland game just to debunk any lazy/greedy jibes. Chelsea wudn't sell him to LFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The Mail is claiming that duff is off to Fulham. I know it's The Mail, but given the laws of probability they are bound to get a transfer story right some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

deadhead13 wrote: »
    The Mail is claiming that duff is off to Fulham. I know it's The Mail, but given the laws of probability they are bound to get a transfer story right some time.

He's found his level so. Good luck to the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Bandit12 wrote: »
    He's found his level so. Good luck to the lad.

I think it would be a good move for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Duffer is the new Owen.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Some of the football fans here should watch Ireland play more often than last night. Duff is always one of our better performers.

I watch most Ireland game,not because I am a fan just because I would watch any game thats on.

Duff may on occasion be the best player Ireland have but sometimes thats not hard.Duff is a couple of levels below the very top in the Premiership,he is a mid table player at best.

For years LFC fans have been giving out about us going after sub standard players,Duff is a sub standard player at the very top of the game.Just because he is Irish will not change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    They didn't want to buy him - now they do.

Really? Thats interesting...wonder if Rafa would sell and who would he replace him with.

We didn't replace him last year, no reason to replace him this year either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    We didn't replace him last year, no reason to replace him this year either.

20 million pounds and Robbie Keane says different.

joe123 wrote: »
    20 million pounds and Robbie Keane says different.

:D

Dub13 wrote: »
    I watch most Ireland game,not because I am a fan just because I would watch any game thats on.

Duff may on occasion be the best player Ireland have but sometimes thats not hard.Duff is a couple of levels below the very top in the Premiership,he is a mid table player at best.

For years LFC fans have been giving out about us going after sub standard players,Duff is a sub standard player at the very top of the game.Just because he is Irish will not change that.

I can only laugh. Riera, Arbeloa, Lucas, Yossi for large periods of his Liverpool career, N'Gog, Voronin, etc. Noneof the above are world beaters in ase you haven't noticed. Don't use the Irish argument either, being Spanish doesn't actually make you Liverpool classon its own.

For 4m, could Duff offer something Riera and Kuyt could not? Absolutely in my book.

He isn't coming anyway, but his level is defo Prem class in my book.

• Advertisement

I can only laugh. Riera, Arbeloa, Lucas, Yossi for large periods of his Liverpool career, N'Gog, Voronin, etc. Noneof the above are world beaters in ase you haven't noticed. Don't use the Irish argument either, being Spanish doesn't actually make you Liverpool classon its own.

For 4m, could Duff offer something Riera and Kuyt could not? Absolutely in my book.

Oh and the premiership season starts in a week and we are unlikely to get someone like Silva if we are all honest, thats why I would snap at this option.

EDIT: And it really isn't on ocassion that Duff is one of Ireland best performers. Bar Given, I would say he has been the most consistent in terms of overall performance since/during the Stan era.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I disagree... Riera is a far superior player to duff imo and he can beat a player no problem, one of the best first touches in the Prem.

I don't think he'd add much to our options on the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I see no reason whatsoever to bring in yet another body who isn't absolutely tip top quality in an area we already have plenty of cover in.

So what if he's cheap, id play both Yossi and Riera over him every day of the week. The only, ONLY reason to buy a new left winger is if they're really top drawer.

Its your right to disagree. Riera is very limited though, he is slow and lacks any real trickery. He has a good left fot on him but for me he has simply turned out to be a better desperation buy than I thought he would be.

Stuff like "best first touch in the premiership" though, I really can't agree.

Rebel, our squad is wafer thin, more attacking options are always welcome in my book.

EDIT: Riera isn't slow, bad choice of words but I certainly wouldn't label him as a pacy winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

"best first touch in the premiership"

Berba says hello.

• Advertisement

Chelsea when they had Duff and Robben. They were a bit good!

Wouldnt mind picking Duff up for 2-3 million as I could see him adding to the team. Would never get ahead of Yossi or Riera though.

On another topic...what are the chances Pacheco will get game time this year? Havent been so impressed with a Liverpool reserve in ages. Great little player. Hes 18 aswell so theres a good chance he will be sniffing around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Its your right to disagree. Riera is very limited though, he is slow and lacks any real trickery. He has a good left fot on him but for me he has simply turned out to be a better desperation buy than I thought he would be.

Stuff like "best first touch in the premiership" though, I really can't agree.

Rebel, our squad is wafer thin, more attacking options are always welcome in my book.

Slow? Bit unfair, still faster then most. Lacking any real trickery!? Are we talking about the same guy!? Riera has the touch of an angel and simply glides past players whenever he's on, or close to, form. Him and Yossi are the only 2 in the senior squad who can regularly pull a trick out of their ass to beat a man.

Wafer thin? In the attacking midfield positions we have Babel, Kuyt, Yossi, Gerrard, Riera, El Zhar, Voronin and even Aurelio if needs be. Now, I see a gap, but its not one to be filled with another body, another guy making up the numbers who frankly is well past his best. The gap that we have is someone to turn all but 2 of the above into quality backup - someone to be a first choice player without doubt if fit - someone like Silva, or Ribery, or Suarez. If we could get one of those types of players, fantastic, but if not, i see no reason to add yet another body to add to an already bulging compliment of 'decent' amc's. Maybe last season, before Riera came in, but i just dont see it being a good move for either pool or Duff.

<edit> just to show im not nuts, lots of nice bits of trickery and pace from riera

Its your right to disagree. Riera is very limited though, he is slow and lacks any real trickery.

Jese id disagree here. I think Riera shows great bits of trickery. He does a trick to make room for himself rather than speed down the flank but its still skill all the same.

I cant believe some of these comments,Duff is a quality operator when fit,anyone would be mad not to take him for 3-4m.

No doubt he could do a job in cm aswell if needed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

You see you need to read my full post,I never said they were all world beaters in fact I said for years Liverpool fans have been given out that we are not going after the very top players.So don't be putting words in my mouth.

So we both agree the Liverpool squad (like all squads) has some 'bit part players',and you think bringing in Duff would better the team.This is were we differ,Duff could maybe offer something I don't think he would but for the sake of this argument lets say he does.Now Mr Duff would come cheap but have no doubt's his wages would be massive,I think he is on about 80k a week at Newcastel so lets say he takes a nice hit and gets 40/50k a week at LFC.

Do you still think this is a good idea..?Remembering Duff is 30 and playing out wide is a young mans games these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I cant believe some of these comments,Duff is a quality operator when fit,anyone would be mad not to take him for 3-4m.

For that sort of money he is worth a gamble. Keane was a gamble too for the money we paid. This is less risky.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    For that sort of money he is worth a gamble. Keane was a gamble too for the money we paid. This is less risky.

it's not a question of risk. IT WOULD BE INSANE. We have 4 players who play left wing for us. If we are going to take a risk on a 30 year old, past-it, injury prone player, at least make it someone in a position of need: RB, CB, DM or ST would make SOME sense.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

08:30,I am going to that game myself have you got anything booked..?

Ya, heading over for a few days with some mates. 08.30 is very early for a Monday morning, but I'll cope. I've told some of them to get theikr fingers out if they want to get tickets, but it looks like we will be one or two short (assuming I get one). Their loss I guess, I tried to tell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

You see you need to read my full post,I never said they were all world beaters in fact I said for years Liverpool fans have been given out that we are not going after the very top players.So don't be putting words in my mouth.

So we both agree the Liverpool squad (like all squads) has some 'bit part players',and you think bringing in Duff would better the team.This is were we differ,Duff could maybe offer something I don't think he would but for the sake of this argument lets say he does.Now Mr Duff would come cheap but have no doubt's his wages would be massive,I think he is on about 80k a week at Newcastel so lets say he takes a nice hit and gets 40/50k a week at LFC.

Do you still think this is a good idea..?Remembering Duff is 30 and playing out wide is a young mans games these days.

I hear ya, however, voronin is 30 and on what wages?...(diff type of player i know).....

I dont think benitez wants him anyhow. Duff played in a rank awful team last season and id have money on him wanting to leave long before seasons end. What duff does have however is vast prem experience and could be just the type of player to unlock the teams we have problems with. The last couple of seasons we have been terrible the month either side of x-mas, against teams in the bottom half. Duff is plenty good enough to play a role for liverpool against these sides, if he did come, which i dont think will happen, he could play a similar role to giggs last season for united.

Maybe he would be the perfect stop gap, cheap player, while benitez agrees a pre contract with villa/silva for next summer....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

tok9 wrote: »
    Riera ... one of the best first touches in the Prem.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    hes not even the best touch on pools left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

But Voronin was signed as a 28 year old for free, and was not injury prone or past his best. Not the same thing.

Anyway, I doubt he'd go there. Would prefer Guttierez for a few quid more (surprised someone hasn't snapped him up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Dickerty wrote: »
    But Voronin was signed as a 28 year old for free, and was not injury prone or past his best. Not the same thing.

Anyway, I doubt he'd go there. Would prefer Guttierez for a few quid more (surprised someone hasn't snapped him up).

Have you seen Gutierrez play? he's a bad as Duff - both would be a complete waste of time.

Yes, I've seen him. He's so bad that he gets picked for Argentina. :rolleyes:

He's something of a Dirk Kuyt - huge energy and endeavour, no little skill, knows how to do the job asked of him. I don't think he'd let you down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I love how a player gets an off-the-cuff mention in this thread and suddenly we have 50 pages debating why he'd be a great/sh*t signing - despite the fact it has never even been a rumour and will never happen. We are tabloid.

Ooh, good name for a band that.

We Are Tabloid.

:D

Some of the football fans here should watch Ireland play more often than last night. Duff is always one of our better performers. There in't a thing Dossena can do better than him, Duff is a better dribbler than Riera and Yossi is on fire I admit.

He was one of the better Newcastle players last year and never misses an Ireland game just to debunk any lazy/greedy jibes. Chelsea wudn't sell him to LFC.

I've seen every single Ireland game for well over a decade.
    I've been to a fair few, although Wednesday nights was my first in a few years.

I've seen Duff play God knows how many times over the years.
    And the simple fact of the matter is, unfortunately, he's passed it.

And I love the irony of people who call Voronin/Lucas etc not good enough to pull on the red jersey, calling for us to buy Duff!

LMFAO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Good to see torres sounding the call to arms...

SSN Link
    Torres - No excuses
    Spanish striker not worried about United and Chelsea

Fernando Torres believes Liverpool have the talent and experience to end their long wait for a Premier League title.

The Reds have been tipped to mount another strong challenge after finishing just four points behind champions Manchester United last season.

Rafa Benitez's men had a good record against the other top teams in 2008/9 and Torres insists he is not worried about the clashes with United and Chelsea.

He feels Liverpool can make up the difference by claiming wins rather than draws in some of the other tricky fixtures, and he is targeting a fast start at Tottenham on Sunday.

"We have no problem beating Manchester United or Chelsea but it is games like Sunday's at Tottenham where we need to show our real title intentions," the Spaniard told The Sun.

"Tottenham is not an easy place to go but these are games we must be winning if this is to finally be our year."

Torres is convinced that Liverpool can win the title and admits it would be devastating for both the players and supporters to miss out again.

He said: "I am not thinking can we win the title, I am thinking we have to win the title.

"We came so close last season but for many of the players it was their first time experiencing the pressure of a Premier League title race.

"We have experience and if we don't bring the title back to Anfield I won't be offering up any excuses at the end of the season.

"We don't need to improve a lot on last season to win the title. There is only a slight improvement needed to give the fans and players the title they have wanted for so many years now.

"This is the best Liverpool team there has been in years, that is what many of the experienced players are saying.

"Now is our time. Second best is just not going to cut it with me any more."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Aquilani - No. 4

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

thebhoy wrote: »
    Aquilani - No. 4

yes, go get it printed.

• Advertisement

kida wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    hes not even the best touch on pools left

He has an amazing first touch, by far the best of anyone in Liverpool's squad. Torres, Gerrard and Benayoun would be the next best.
    He has his failings - lack of pace, tries to play his way out of trouble - but his touch and technique are as good as anyones in the league - and i include Berbatov, Rooney etc in this. He's not as good a player, but his touch is as good.

thebhoy wrote: »
    Aquilani - No. 4

still no number 7.
    Being kept warm for someone perhaps?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Not being kept warm for Mikel San Jose who's been loaned out to Athletic Bilbao.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Not being kept warm for Mikel San Jose who's been loaned out to Athletic Bilbao.

that's a great move for him. If he can get first team football at that level it will only be good for his development.

Absolutely, he looks to have some potential. Even if he stays in Spain, should secure a few quid for a permanent move.

If #4 is Aquaman, does that make him a water carrier, like Deschamps?

Still very curious about the #7, and Rafa's comments about getting Nando and Stevie some help........

Dickerty wrote: »

Still very curious about the #7, and Rafa's comments about getting Nando and Stevie some help........

When did he say this? I can't find any quotes on it.

Apparently there is an option for Bilbao to buy San Jose after a year for around 3m. I still have high hopes for him so i'd be dissapointed if he left.
    I think this means we'll 100% be buying a centre back now.

• Advertisement

Apparently there is an option for Bilbao to buy San Jose after a year for around 3m. I still have high hopes for him so i'd be dissapointed if he left.
    I think this means we'll 100% be buying a centre back now.

That's a decent price, for both. But I think he would be 5th choice after Kelly, so not sure if it changes that, although it does bring in the likelihood of more cash.
    When did he say this? I can't find any quotes on it.

Link is here - http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/25077/Benitez_confirms_We%E2%80%99re_looking_at_getting_Gerrard_and_Torres_some_help.aspx

Quote - "Man City are spending money; we had to bring in quality, and [Glen] Johnson is a good player," he said of the Reds’ new right-back.
    "We will now look for someone to help [Fernando] Torres and [Steven] Gerrard.
    "The idea of winning the Premier League every year is hard. City are doing really well because they are signing players with Premier League quality, so they will be a threat to us and Manchester United."

At the same time, dissing Chelsea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aparently Rafa said Johnson would help Gerrard and Torres, not that he was looking for a new signing to help Gerrard and Torres.

mike65 wrote: »
    Aparently Rafa said Johnson would help Gerrard and Torres, not that he was looking for a new signing to help Gerrard and Torres.

Thanks for bursting that particular bubble.

daithijjj wrote: »
    I hear ya, however, voronin is 30 and on what wages?...(diff type of player i know).....

Well I doubt that he's on the £50,000 a week or so that Duff'd want.

He also wouldn't cost us £3-4,000,000 in a transfer fee.

Or £1,000,000 of a signing on fee.

Or £750,000-1,000,000 of an agents fees.

The way I see it, the only reason Duff is being mentioned is due to where he was born, and what colour international jersey he wears.
    IMO it's just not viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Well I doubt that he's on the £50,000 a week or so that Duff'd want.

He also wouldn't cost us £3-4,000,000 in a transfer fee.

Or £1,000,000 of a signing on fee.

Or £750,000-1,000,000 of an agents fees.

The way I see it, the only reason Duff is being mentioned is due to where he was born, and what colour international jersey he wears.
    IMO it's just not viable.

€1m for Pat Devlin's fee? Not a chance, a bottle of Cadet Cola and a packet of Chickatees and you'd be sorted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement