Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Breaking news on SSN - "Torres signs improved contract"

Not on the website yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Can someone PM me the fantasy league code?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fernando Torres has put pen to paper on a new and improved contract at Anfield.
    The 25-year old striker agreed the terms of the deal back in May and has now completed the formalities of signing the new contract.

Torres was already tied to Anfield for the next four seasons after signing a six-year deal in 2007.

This new contract includes an option for a further year's extension to 2014.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165415090814-1038.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So we are stuck with him for maybe another 5 years? :(

Here's another name that just got thrown in the mix - Argentinian dwarf striker Matias de Federico

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Is he a real life Dwarf?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

PiE wrote: »
    Breaking news on SSN - "Torres signs improved contract"

Not on the website yet.

the guardian now has the story....http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/14/fernando-torres-liverpool-new-deal.........is fantastic, no?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Football season, YAY!!!

Can't wait.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

with an option of a 1 year extension. \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Here's the de federico in action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Considering that Nando was only on 70k, you would wonder what Andre is on. Would have assumed aroun 50k but maybe it could be lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

So are we expecting Torres to pile on the pounds and take the foot off the gas Mark Viduka style now he has a new contract? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

gucci wrote: »
    So are we expecting Torres to pile on the pounds and take the foot off the gas Mark Viduka style now he has a new contract? :D

i'm expecting a fairytale season. 45 goals and 4 cups!:D

prendy wrote: »

And still get pipped to the top club scorer award by Stevie....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

prendy wrote: »

I love the smell of pre-season optimism in the morning. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mike65 wrote: »
    So we are stuck with him for maybe another 5 years? :(

Here's another name that just got thrown in the mix - Argentinian dwarf striker Matias de Federico

where did you hear this?

Some random site, goal.com I think. His name is linked with several clubs, no doubt he has an agent working overtime (3 phones on the go, one perched under his chin all the time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

flahavaj wrote: »
    Berba says hello.

Well I hope he is not saying hello to me, I certainly never proclaimed Riera had one of the best touches in the prem!
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Slow? Bit unfair, still faster then most. Lacking any real trickery!? Are we talking about the same guy!? Riera has the touch of an angel and simply glides past players whenever he's on, or close to, form. Him and Yossi are the only 2 in the senior squad who can regularly pull a trick out of their ass to beat a man.

Wafer thin? In the attacking midfield positions we have Babel, Kuyt, Yossi, Gerrard, Riera, El Zhar, Voronin and even Aurelio if needs be. Now, I see a gap, but its not one to be filled with another body, another guy making up the numbers who frankly is well past his best. The gap that we have is someone to turn all but 2 of the above into quality backup - someone to be a first choice player without doubt if fit - someone like Silva, or Ribery, or Suarez. If we could get one of those types of players, fantastic, but if not, i see no reason to add yet another body to add to an already bulging compliment of 'decent' amc's. Maybe last season, before Riera came in, but i just dont see it being a good move for either pool or Duff.

<edit> just to show im not nuts, lots of nice bits of trickery and pace from riera

A fundamental disagreement exists between us then on the value of the likes of El Zhar and Babel actually making an impact, hell even playing a fair amount of games for Liverpool. The idea Duff could be less effective than the anonymous Babel from last season here is amazing.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    So we both agree the Liverpool squad (like all squads) has some 'bit part players',and you think bringing in Duff would better the team.This is were we differ,Duff could maybe offer something I don't think he would but for the sake of this argument lets say he does.Now Mr Duff would come cheap but have no doubt's his wages would be massive,I think he is on about 80k a week at Newcastel so lets say he takes a nice hit and gets 40/50k a week at LFC.

Do you still think this is a good idea..?Remembering Duff is 30 and playing out wide is a young mans games these days.

Duff has alot more to his game then simply staying out wide, he can pick a pass, he cuts inside effectively, is a good dribbler and has a workrate that can't be questioned. Why you see a correlation between his wages at Newcastle and what he would be on at Liverpool (in the most hypothetical sense of course) is beyond me. He would, and would have to, accept a massive wage cut no matter what Prem club he joined.
    I've seen every single Ireland game for well over a decade.
    I've been to a fair few, although Wednesday nights was my first in a few years.

I've seen Duff play God knows how many times over the years.
    And the simple fact of the matter is, unfortunately, he's passed it.

And I love the irony of people who call Voronin/Lucas etc not good enough to pull on the red jersey, calling for us to buy Duff!

LMFAO!!!

Well my friend, reevaluate your opinion because it is flawed. Past it? In that he isn't as good as he was at Chelsea? So? What exactly does that mean? Is there not a place for him in the premiership because he isn't as good as he was when he was playing in a PL winning side? I love your simplt fact of the matter is bit too - he has been our most consistent outfield player bar Dunne in the last 4 years and one of the few who actually demands the ball.

Perhaps I'll finish by saying that Duff is no world beater, nor do I believe him to be so. The disagreement here really relates to the ability of the people he would replace/play alongside. We all hope El Zhar, Babel, N'Gog, Lucas and Voronin will make a signifcant impact this season but thats all it is - hope. When you compared those 5 to their equivalents from the other top 4 clubs, you expect the those fringe players to perform - thats the difference.

Would agree with Noodler on Duff myself. Would offer a lot more than anyone we have on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

mike65 wrote: »
    Aparently Rafa said Johnson would help Gerrard and Torres, not that he was looking for a new signing to help Gerrard and Torres.

Really? It specifically says -

We had to bring in quality, and Johnson is a good player," "We will now look for someone to help [Fernando] Torres and [Steven] Gerrard.

His English is good enough now to say what he means...

• Advertisement

Yeah but thats assuming the words were correctly reported, or did you see/hear him say it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

noodler wrote: »
    Well my friend, reevaluate your opinion because it is flawed. Past it? In that he isn't as good as he was at Chelsea? So? What exactly does that mean? Is there not a place for him in the premiership because he isn't as good as he was when he was playing in a PL winning side? I love your simplt fact of the matter is bit too - he has been our most consistent outfield player bar Dunne in the last 4 years and one of the few who actually demands the ball.

So you'e saying that he's not the player he was for Chelsea....4 years ago....when Chelsea are the team that finished bellow us last year....and we have to progress, not regress!!!

Please tell me what part of that makes sense?

Duff wasn't good enough for a title challenging team 4 years ago.
    He's not as good now as he was then.
    But suddenly he is good enough for Liverpool!!!

WTF!!!:eek:

We want players that would make it at a top club, not ones that were passed on 4 years ago!

Allow me to put it to you this way.

Would Duff make it into the Chelski or Utd team of today?
    No.

Would he make it into the Liverpool one?
    Only in Football manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

We want players that would make it at a top club, not ones that were passed on 4 years ago!

*cough*cough*
    Glen Johnson

;)

i agree with what you're saying about Duff, your logic is a little flawed though;)

Babel has the potential to be a lot better than Duff could ever be in the future, bringing Duff would make it even less likely for him to start to fulfill that potential.

And as it stands Riera & Benayoun are better than Duff anyway, so there is no need.

Would agree with Noodler on Duff myself. Would offer a lot more than anyone we have on the bench.

Riera/Benayoun and Babel are our backup wide players. Not in a million years would i swap one of them for Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Lads just a bit off topic but i got the new white euro jersey yesterday in JJB in The Square Tallaght for 44 quid, absolute bargain, lovely jersey too.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    *cough*cough*
    Glen Johnson

;)

i agree with what you're saying about Duff, your logic is a little flawed though;)

Babel has the potential to be a lot better than Duff could ever be in the future, bringing Duff would make it even less likely for him to start to fulfill that potential.

And as it stands Riera & Benayoun are better than Duff anyway, so there is no need.

Ahh, but I think you'll find I said.
    Duff wasn't good enough for a title challenging team 4 years ago.
    He's not as good now as he was then.
    But suddenly he is good enough for Liverpool!!!

I think we can all agree that GJ doesn't fall into that catogory.;)

• Advertisement

Lads just a bit off topic but i got the new white euro jersey yesterday in JJB in The Square Tallaght for 44 quid, absolute bargain, lovely jersey too.

I have the Black and Red form last year.
    That'll do me for now.

I do like the look of the White one though.

Riera/Benayoun and Babel are our backup wide players. Not in a million years would i swap one of them for Duff.

He would offer a lot more than Babel in my opinion. Babel is grand for the last 10 mins when the opposition are wrecked. He is also extremely one dimensional and can barely control a ball.

Anyway, makes no difference as it isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I have the Black and Red form last year.
    That'll do me for now.

I do like the look of the White one though.

The Grey Jersey was the best away jersey in years! I can't believe it's been replaced. :(

God awful jersey :(

if Babel leaves Liverpool i want someone with the potential to be world class to replace him. Not someone like duff who would clearly just be a stopgap.

Also don't think Duff would be happy being third choice.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    The Grey Jersey was the best away jersey in years! I can't believe it's been replaced. :(

It was a commemorative jersey for the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough.

One season only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Duff? Wouldn't be that disappointed if we did sign him. The squad could do with a bit of added depth if you ask me. Duff wouldn't play that much you'd imagine, but he'd be a decent option if the injuries started stacking up, better than El Zhar that's for certain.

Liverpool squad: Reina, Johnson, Insua, Carragher, Skrtel, Ayala, Benayoun, Lucas, Gerrard, Mascherano, Riera, Kuyt, Torres, Babel, Cavalieri, Degen, Dossena, Ngog, Plessis, Voronin, San Jose.

Gerrard is 50/50 it seems and will get a late fitness test tomorrow.
    Agger is out.

edit. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

el dude wrote: »
    Duff? Wouldn't be that disappointed if we did sign him. The squad could do with a bit of added depth if you ask me. Duf wouldn't play that much you'd imagine, but he'd be a decent option of the inuries started stacking up, better than El Zhar that's for certain.

El Zhar has an air of Darren Fletcher about him...might just need time. He always brings a bit more urgency when he comes on and Torres tends to spark up a bit more.

the only difference between El Zhar & Duff at the moment imo is that one has the potential to get better & the other doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

All this Duff talk is nonsense really. We aren't in for him. Why would we be. On the left we have Riera and Benny who are better and Babel who really needs to play also. I'd rather spend money on cover for the CB/CM position.

I assume from that squad the lineup (assuming Gerrard is fit) will be:

Reina
    Johnson---Carra----Skrtl
    Insua
    Masch

Lucas
    Kuyt
    Benayoun
    Gerrard

Torres

Interesting to see if Lucas and Stevie do interchange a bit throughout the first few games though as some have been speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

woud have thought kelly would have been in the squad before san jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

5starpool wrote: »
    I assume from that squad the lineup (assuming Gerrard is fit) will be:

Reina
    Johnson---Carra----Skrtl
    Insua
    Masch

Lucas
    Kuyt
    Benayoun
    Gerrard

Torres

Interesting to see if Lucas and Stevie do interchange a bit throughout the first few games though as some have been speculating.

I'd say he'll start Riera, and keep Benny on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

God I really really really hope we thrash Spurs.

think its gonna be a really tough game.

expect Spurs to do well this year & for WHL to be a tough place to get anything.

I'd be happy with an injury time 0-1 with the winner bouncing off Lucas' backside!!!

I'd be happy with an injury time 0-1 with the winner bouncing off Lucas' backside!!!

So would I, but it would be nice to get going the way we ended last season.

I expect us to score, probably more than once. 2-1 to us.

It’s a crime if Kelly is not in our squad and Ayala and Degen are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Snap to that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There will definitely be goals. WHL saw more goals last year than any other ground, and their defence is looking very shakey - as is ours, potentially!

Liverpool to outscore Spurs, I hope.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    think its gonna be a really tough game.

expect Spurs to do well this year & for WHL to be a tough place to get anything.

People say that every year. I expect the match this Sunday to be the one that puts the nail in Spurs coffin of hopes for the season. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Yep thats pretty much the only way Lucas could score.

I'd say the only way you score is with some bouncing off yer backside as well. ;)

• Advertisement

or long range screamers, late runs into the box, headers, ones like he has in the past :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement