Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Cant sorry, off on holidays for 2 weeks, but i'll be thinking of you all while i'm lying in the sun.

Enjoy that big Adult gang and the game of touch willies you all supposedly have everyday so i've been told :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Adios

As i said, its impossible to have a conversation with you because you retort with drivel.

I hope it rains there for two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Jaysus, its commendable how fink can bring out the 'craig bellamy' in so many posters. The nervous tension before the new season lads and lasses???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I don't know why so many respond to fink! He/She throws out baseless arguments and when they're responded to, (which nobody ever should), his/her retort is nothing more than a verbalised 'Roll Eyes' which just screams childishness. Fink is one of two people I've put on ignore but since people quote Fink's ridiculous posts, and they ARE ridiculous, I see them anyway. :mad:

He/She won't learn how to debate anytime soon so I suggest it's not tried if you want an intelligent discussion. It also leads to pages and pages of drivel.

Rant over!

Predicted scoreline for Sunday:

Spurs 2 - 3 Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I cant wait til Sunday. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So you'e saying that he's not the player he was for Chelsea....4 years ago....when Chelsea are the team that finished bellow us last year....and we have to progress, not regress!!!

Please tell me what part of that makes sense?

Duff wasn't good enough for a title challenging team 4 years ago.
    He's not as good now as he was then.
    But suddenly he is good enough for Liverpool!!!

WTF!!!:eek:

We want players that would make it at a top club, not ones that were passed on 4 years ago!

Allow me to put it to you this way.

Would Duff make it into the Chelski or Utd team of today?
    No.

Would he make it into the Liverpool one?
    Only in Football manager.

What kind of logic is at play here? No one would have said Riera was a top 4 player before we signed him, are you actually suggesting that Rafa should only buy players from top 4 clubs?

Funny you say Chelsea, they ca be so 1 dimensional at times and could probably do with some sort of width.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

daithijjj wrote: »
    Jaysus, its commendable how fink can bring out the 'craig bellamy' in so many posters. The nervous tension before the new season lads and lasses???? :D
    I don't know why so many respond to fink! He/She throws out baseless arguments and when they're responded to, (which nobody ever should), his/her retort is nothing more than a verbalised 'Roll Eyes' which just screams childishness. Fink is one of two people I've put on ignore but since people quote Fink's ridiculous posts, and they ARE ridiculous, I see them anyway. :mad:

Some people are like gravel in your shoe. And yes, stop quoting Fink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

anyone else read Torres interview today. Everytime that lad speaks I well up. As has been said many times, he just gets it

Selected quotes
    "I am not thinking can we win the title, I am thinking we have to win the title.
    "We have experience and if we don't bring the title back to Anfield I won't be offering up any excuses at the end of the season.
    "Now is our time. Second best is just not going to cut it with me any more."

anyone else read Torres interview today. Everytime that lad speaks I well up. As has been said many times, he just gets it

Selected quotes

Err...some of those comments worry me!

Good thing he signed a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The full interview with Aquaman.
    A few notes highlighted.
    AQUILANI: WHY I CHOSE LIVERPOOL
    James Carroll 14 August 2009

Alberto Aquilani was unveiled to the world's media as a Liverpool player at Melwood on Thursday and our new midfielder took 10 minutes to speak to radio journalists about his move to Anfield.

Journalist: Alberto, welcome to Liverpool Football Club. Can you tell us why you decided to leave Roma?

I knew that I would only leave Roma for a club such as Liverpool. I hope to grow as a player here and do the shirt proud.

Journalist: You mentioned the 1984 European Cup final between Roma and Liverpool. Would it be fair to say Liverpool have always been your second team?

Yes. I did not actually see the game because I wasn't born when the final took place, but Bruno Conti spoke to me about it a lot and especially his mistake in the penalty shootout.

Journalist: You're a young boy, so it must have been difficult to leave the city of Rome and come to Liverpool?

It was a difficult decision to leave my home city. Obviously I was born and raised there, and I've always been a fan of Roma. It wasn't easy, but when this opportunity presented itself I did not think twice.

Journalist: You've been here about a week now and you've met some of the players and the manager - how have they helped you settle in so far?

They have definitely helped me a lot, especially the manager and (chief scout) Eduardo Macia. They have made me feel at home and shown me how important I am to them already. I've met some of the players, but not many because they've been playing in international games. I know they are going to be great and I'll have no problem fitting in.

Journalist: What aspect of playing in the Premier League are you most looking forward to?

The football played here in the Premier League is different to Italian football. It is much faster, athletic and the teams are stronger. This is proven by the fact you always see English teams reaching the latter stages of the Champions League. I don't think it will be a problem and I'm looking forward to it.

Journalist: How much of a risk is it for a footballer to come to a new country and league in a World Cup year?

There can be advantages and disadvantages, but obviously that depends on me. Marcello Lippi told me that I will have absolutely no problem. He said I am coming to play for a very important team and if I play well here, he will definitely call me up for the national team. My plan now is to keep improving because I don't want to stop.

Journalist: Xabi Alonso was a very important player for Liverpool last season when they came close to winning the Premier League. Do you feel any added pressure stepping into Xabi's shoes?

Xabi was obviously a very important player - he played well. But I am not his natural substitute and it is important for me to play well whether I am taking his place or someone else's place. That's the main thing.

Journalist: You've arrived here with an injury and you'll be out for a few more weeks. Do you feel you can put those injury worries behind you and play a lot of games for Liverpool after you've recovered?

That's exactly what I hope. I knew of the injury before I came here and I am happy because here they have diagnosed the injury problem properly - they know exactly what it is and say it can be fixed. I am hoping to recover well and not to have to stop playing again.

Journalist: When do you hope to make your debut?

I don't really know when I'll make my debut. At Roma, I'd already started to train a little bit, but the doctor here prefers me to take it easy. I am here for five years, so there is no point in rushing back and then having to stop again later on. At the moment I am listening to the advice and I am hoping to get better soon.

Journalist: Liverpool had a great season last campaign and almost won the league. This year they'll be challenging Manchester United and Chelsea again. Do you know of the pressure you'll be under to help achieve that?

I'm very well aware of the pressure this club is under and that I'm going to be under too. If you want to play for a big club, you have to be ready for the pressure.

Journalist: You played at Roma with a legend in Francesco Totti. You're now playing at Liverpool with a legend in Steven Gerrard - how good is he as a player?

Like I've said before, I think Steven Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world and I am very proud to have the opportunity to play alongside him. I hope I can learn a lot from him.

Journalist: Did you speak to Andrea Dossena before deciding to come here?

Yes. I know Dossena very well from the Italian national team and he told me I would be in for a fantastic atmosphere here.

Journalist: Any reason why you picked the No.4 jersey?

Some of my favoured numbers were already taken and No.4 in Italy is considered to be a midfielder's number, which is why I went for it. I don't like high numbers that have no meaning.

First off, for any who don't believe the issues with Roma's training, there's a quote from the man himself!
    Roma already had him training!!!

Secondly, all the jersey numbers were taken.
    Where does that leave number 7?
    If he was told it was not to be given out, then there's a chance either it'll be given to Kenny, or we have another signing coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The full interview with Aquaman.
    A few notes highlighted.

First off, for any who don't believe the issues with Roma's training, there's a quote from the man himself!
    Roma already had him training!!!

Secondly, all the jersey numbers were taken.
    Where does that leave number 7?
    If he was told it was not to be given out, then there's a chance either it'll be given to Kenny, or we have another signing coming.

that could be only light training

Mr Alan wrote: »
    or long range screamers, late runs into the box, headers, ones like he has in the past :rolleyes:

Is that a joke or what? I don't want to go over the same Lucas arguments until we have more games to go on but thats no reason to lie!

Headshot wrote: »
    that could be only light training

Yes, so.

He had the operation a couple of months ago.
    If he then comes to Liverpool, and they say he's still not ready for training, does that not say that he was being rushed back in Roma when they had him training a couple of weeks ago?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I wouldn't really look much into the fact that he took number 4 instead of 7 tbh. I'd love to think that it did signal a new arrival to fit the jersey in the next few weeks, but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up tbh.

Yes, so.

He had the operation a couple of months ago.
    If he then comes to Liverpool, and they say he's still not ready for training, does that not say that he was being rushed back in Roma when they had him training a couple of weeks ago?

you dont know what type of light training Roma do

maybe while he had the ankle injury he only worth on upper body strength

noodler wrote: »
    Is that a joke or what? I don't want to go over the same Lucas arguments until we have more games to go on but thats no reason to lie!

Have you seen Lucas's goals? If you did you will know its no joke or lie.
    If you dont want to go over the same Lucas argument dont bring up something that was said pages ago....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Just noticed Boro are expecting Tuncay to move on before the transfer window

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/8201481.stm

Wonder would we be in for him? As a cheap alternative, wouldn't be a bad signing. Would it?

Have you seen Lucas's goals? If you did you will know its no joke or lie.
    If you dont want to go over the same Lucas argument dont bring up something that was said pages ago....

His FOUR goals? Right so can I imply Mascherano is a long range shot expert because he scored one against Reading 18 months ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jesus ****ing christ, will you all stop arguing over Lucas!!!!!!!!!!!!

noodler wrote: »
    His FOUR goals? Right so can I imply Mascherano is a long range shot expert because he scored one against Reading 18 months ago?

Do you even know what the conversation was about?
    A poster said the only way Lucas can score is if the ball hits off him, then another poster listed the ways he has scored. We are talking about Lucas as a player scoring. Not just playing for Liverpool. He has scored goals, some excellent goals. Are you saying he cant score goals other than the ball hitting off him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

5starpool wrote: »
    I wouldn't really look much into the fact that he took number 4 instead of 7 tbh. I'd love to think that it did signal a new arrival to fit the jersey in the next few weeks, but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up tbh.

My hopes are up. Deep, deep down, I know I'm gonna feel like a fool at the end of the month :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Villa is coming. Everyone calm down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Villa is coming. Everyone calm down :)

Yeah but we've spurs & stoke to get through first :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Interesting Tony barrett article in The Times. Rafa was given a £15 million transfer budget plus whatever he recoups from selling players. But there was also an understanding that any significant contract extensions would also come out of that kitty i.e. Torres, Gerrard, Agger, Kuyt and Benayoun.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6797191.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Interesting Tony barrett article in The Times. Rafa was given a £15 million transfer budget plus whatever he recoups from selling players. But there was also an understanding that any significant contract extensions would also come out of that kitty i.e. Torres, Gerrard, Agger, Kuyt and Benayoun.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6797191.ece

Hmm, so the £15m is basically used for contract extensions alone? Or can I fool myself into someone filling the no. 7 shirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Looks unlikely unless H&G decide to dip into their own pockets, which isn't going to happen. If Voronin goes, I'm sure he will try to bring someone else in, but I don't think he will have too much to spend.

you dont know what type of light training Roma do

maybe while he had the ankle injury he only worth on upper body strength

Ahhhm.
    Journalist: You've arrived here with an injury and you'll be out for a few more weeks. Do you feel you can put those injury worries behind you and play a lot of games for Liverpool after you've recovered?

That's exactly what I hope. I knew of the injury before I came here and I am happy because here they have diagnosed the injury problem properly - they know exactly what it is and say it can be fixed. I am hoping to recover well and not to have to stop playing again.

Journalist: When do you hope to make your debut?

I don't really know when I'll make my debut. At Roma, I'd already started to train a little bit, but the doctor here prefers me to take it easy. I am here for five years, so there is no point in rushing back and then having to stop again later on. At the moment I am listening to the advice and I am hoping to get better soon.

So he says that he thinks Roma misdiagnosed the injury, that now they know what the problem is, and the doctors say he was training too soon.
    Which part of this doesn't make sense to you?!

When the doctors of a club who don't have a history of fan/media/player outrage at the bad training and repeat injuries come out and say that the club who do have the bad history, then I know who i'd be listening to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

More direct quotes from Rafa about the Mascherano situation:
    "Javier has a very good friend in the national team and that is Messi. Messi was on to him every day and that is not easy, but Javier knows what we think of him and he will be .

"I talked with Javier, his agent and Barça. It is normal they see him as such a good player, and an option for them.

"We told Javier he was so important for us and we wanted to keep him. We were not talking about any price. He was a bit disappointed as it was a fantastic opportunity with a big club. But he is happy here, and as a player and a person you can trust him 100%."

That little ****er!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,789 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That really doesn't sound too good, basically forced to stay.

He will be gone next summer, should have sold him and got the maximum cash for him now.

Boggles wrote: »

He will be gone next summer, should have sold him and got the maximum cash for him now.

On this rare occasion I would probably tend to agree. (that he'll be gone next year, not that he should have been cashed in now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

A lot can change in a year though. No point in trying to predict who'll be coming or going next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

your right we should have sold the best dm in the league now that we can finally mount a serious challenge, sure we could have replaced him with lee catermole and made a fortune. ffs rafa what are you playing at!!

rafa out!!!

As you know Boggle, being 'forced' to stay isn't as big a disaster as you would think it would be. The fact that he didn't had in an officinal transfer request also suggests that there might not have been that much forcing.

Taking the Ronaldo or Barry transfer sagas from last summer as examples. Both put in good performance for their respective clubs. Their transfer values weren't particularly affected either.

* if you point out that Barry only went for 12m this summer while he could have gone for 18m the season before, I am going to assume that you forgot that he only had a few months left on his contract when he left. If you still argue it, I will have to assume that you are soft in the head.

The Telegraph say, without quotes to back it up, that Rafa will offer Mascherano an improved contract/extension soon. It will be interesting to see if he signs that.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    your right we should have sold the best dm in the league now that we can finally mount a serious challenge, sure we could have replaced him with lee catermole and made a fortune. ffs rafa what are you playing at!!

rafa out!!!

He isn't, Essien is.
    As you know Boggle, being 'forced' to stay isn't as big a disaster as you would think it would be. The fact that he didn't had in an officinal transfer request also suggests that there might not have been that much forcing.

Taking the Ronaldo or Barry transfer sagas from last summer as examples. Both put in good performance for their respective clubs. Their transfer values weren't particularly affected either.

* if you point out that Barry only went for 12m this summer while he could have gone for 18m the season before, I am going to assume that you forgot that he only had a few months left on his contract when he left. If you still argue it, I will have to assume that you are soft in the head.

Wow, arguing with me before I respond, thats a new one.

Ronaldo had 4 years left on his contract and Barry was bought by Cash Bags City.

Wow, arguing with me before I respond, thats a new one.

I had a feeling that you would argue about Barry's value so I addressed it beforehand in the hope that we could save ourselves the bother.

Anyway, as I said:

I had a feeling that you would argue about Barry's value so I addressed it beforehand in the hope that we could save ourselves the bother.

Anyway, as I said:

There is no real arguing.

Length of contract remaining effects transfer fee.

yes/no?

There is no real arguing.

Length of contract remaining effects transfer fee.

yes/no?

Exactly. As I said Boggles, it was just in case you failed to realise that.

So anyway, it doesn't all sound that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

What is going on at the pool. First Alonso and now Mascherano wants out. Maybe a clear the air meeting required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rather then them wanting out, i think its slightly more a case of the 2 most attractive clubs in the world wanted them in

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    rather then them wanting out, i think its slightly more a case of the 2 most attractive clubs in the world wanted them in

The Swedish Bikini team want Mascherano!!!:eek:

What is going on at the pool. First Alonso and now Mascherano wants out. Maybe a clear the air meeting required.

The club is on the verge of collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

This thread needed saving from the depths of page 2.

I wish we were playing today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

pretty quiet around here today. we were off the 1st page ffs.

so carra, skrtel, agger, gerrard are they all fit and available?
    if so i hope to see

reina
    johnson
    carra
    skrtel
    insua
    masch

lucas

kuyt
    gerrard
    riera
    torres

but have a feeling yossi will play instead of riera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

redzerdrog wrote: »
    pretty quiet around here today. we were off the 1st page ffs.

so carra, skrtel, agger, gerrard are they all fit and available?
    if so i hope to see

reina
    johnson
    carra
    skrtel
    insua
    masch

lucas

kuyt
    gerrard
    riera
    torres

but have a feeling yossi will play instead of riera

no i think the above will be the team. i think thats our strongest 1 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thats our best 11 alright at the moment - Hopefully Lucas will play well & continue on his preseason form & Carra won't feel any ill effects against Defoe - bit worried after seeing him in the England game!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

What's the difference between Everton and a black cab?
    The black cab only let's in 5.

before anyone ask it's not to do with FF (dont get me started with that:rolleyes:)

anymore updates about gerrard fitness for sunday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anymore updates about gerrard fitness for sunday ?

a call hasn't been made yet.

he's still 50/50.

my gut tells me if it wasn't such a tricky opening fixture he'd have been declared injured by now as a precaution.

SlickRic wrote: »
    a call hasn't been made yet.

he's still 50/50.

my gut tells me if it wasn't such a tricky opening fixture he'd have been declared injured by now as a precaution.

cheers mate

was thinking it was like 50/50

(H)liverpool are against stoke during the week,im not sure does that come into rafa's thinking

maybe play him against spurs but rest him for the stoke match (no offence to stoke fans)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement