Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Again, Lucas is to blame amongst some people!!!

I'm not saying Lucas is the answer. But he was not the worst player today at all. He was fine. Did the basics, no big deal. In fact, alot of people are praising Johnson!!! He did brilliantly for the peno, but he wasn't great for the match in general. No more better than Lucas or Kuyt.

Torres was anonymous. So is he bad????? Get a grip, it's one game, our third league defeat in about a year and a half. So lets all just see how the season develops before we start making judgements!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lucas was fine but he is no alonso and his teammates don't seem to have any faith in him, gerrard and torres were poor, neither look fit, babel was awful and this despite terrorizing england for the last 20 mins on wednesday on the left wing and all (so yes he can play there WHEN he wants), god what an inconsistent player he is, kuyt was very quiet

stoke will be far from easy on wednesday, if they park the bus like last year, liverpool will struggle big time, might be a long hard season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This place is getting like RAWK with stoopid rash reactions to everything. Its a marathon. I sadly coudn't watch even online due to lousy 1 mb line/choppy vid. While the Newstalk Premier League live service leaves much to be desired compared to fivelive. I'll watch MOTD before trashing anyone.

I'll just note the bleedin' obvious. Until the injury list clears up the squad looks thin so going 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 might stem the tide. Gerrard in the middle & Yossi behind Torres. Or Torres and AN Other from 3 strikers up front together -you'd not risk your life with any of them in truth but needs must. At least there would be more of a solid shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I sort of wish we had a handy CL tie midweek. Just to iron out some creases

I sort of wish we had a handy CL tie midweek. Just to iron out some creases

be glad they don't, if they played like they played today in a qualifer against any of the clubs they got last 3-4 seasons it would be europa cup this season

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    be glad they don't, if they played like they played today in a qualifer against any of the clubs they got last 3-4 seasons it would be europa cup this season

it's where we belong to be honest.

mike65 wrote: »
    This place is getting like RAWK with stoopid rash reactions to everything. Its a marathon. I sadly coudn't watch even online due to lousy 1 mb line/choppy vid. While the Newstalk Premier League live service leaves much to be desired compared to fivelive. I'll watch MOTD before trashing anyone.

I'll just note the bleedin' obvious. Until the injury list clears up the squad looks thin so going 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 might stem the tide. Gerrard in the middle & Yossi behind Torres. Or Torres and AN Other from 3 strikers up front together -you'd not risk your life with any of them in truth but needs must. At least there would be more of a solid shape.

I have to say, MOTD won't make good viewing tonight. We were a lot better in the second half than the first, overall Spurs deserved their win.

But this forum seems to be the same bullsh!t, different day. It is one bloody game. Yes, we were awful! Yes, our squad looks really bare. But just let the season unfold!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lucas did well today.

Haven't read around, but if he is being scapegoated, its hilarious.

Torres was horrendous today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I thought Yossi Benayoun looked very dangerous when he came on. I also thought Spurs defended extremley well rather than Liverpool just playing crap.

Definately not the only points to be dropped at White Hart Lane this season me thinks.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Lucas did well today.

He really didn't, if we're judging him by any acceptable standard for a Liverpool player.
    But apart from Reina, Johnson and Yossi he was as good as anyone and better than Babel, Torres and Kuyt and Mascherano

• Advertisement

true enough, Spurs look a good outfit, before the weekend i reckoned them & City will be the ones to challenge the top 4 ahead of Villa & Everton this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Posted this in the match thread by mistake....

Terrible showing by us today. Gerrard was playing so deep that he basically was a 5th midfielder, and he was playing deep because the ball wasnt brought forward or passed forward by any of our other midfielders.

So Lucas is the man to step up while Aquilani is out? yet he doesnt. He plays simple balls backwards and sidewards. Never tries to push the game along. We had alonso last year to feed the ball to Gerrard who in turn had time to move on to Torres.

We have a seriously weak squad. Babel and Voronin should be both sold, cut our losses and bring in Nemeth and Pacheco (Pacheco is absolute quality).

If we really have **** all money to spend I was thinking would a move for Krancjar be such a bad decision? IMO for the right money he would be a great addition to the squad and apparently portsmouth are in the **** money wise.

If we did have money to spend id say **** it break the bank and go get Aguero or Villa. (Yes this means dropping Gerrard back)

Im really worried about this season. While Aquilani is out, our service to Gerrard and Torres is non existent.

Im nearly of the impression that untill we get Aquilani fit play Yossi behind Torres and drop Gerrard deeper. Lucas is simply not good enough.

If it wasnt for Reina we would of lost 4-1 today.

Lucas did well today.

I really wouldn't read around. It's a total farce!!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    But this forum seems to be the same bullsh!t, different day. It is one bloody game. Yes, we were awful! Yes, our squad looks really bare. But just let the season unfold!!!

last year liverpool were awful until they finally starting playing some football in march (when after that they were brilliant) their last minute goals and team spirit kept the points ticking over though between august and feb when they should have lost or drawn many of the games they won or drew

can people please tell me what Lucas did wrong today? only gave the ball away a couple of times, made some great tackles & moved the ball around nicely in the centre of the park.

he won't improve without games & he is improving all the time.

Whatawaster, you said more has to be expected of a Liverpool player, not at that stage of their career it isn't tbh, look at Carragher for example. he'd have been dropped & sold in his early twenties if people who share your view on players had their way.

players get better with games & age, Lucas is years away from his peak years, players like Rooney, Fabregas, Messi are freaks of nature, they are exceptions....the norm is for players to develop & improve as they gain experience, think Zidane, Carragher, Henry, even the likes of Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lucas did well today.

Have not looked around much myself, but would agree totally. After the game I just stewed for a bit and avoided saying anything online.

Bigger names played worse than Lucas today, and as such, they should take stick before he does.

Horrible collective performance today, with only a small number of players not open to stick, and only one player that could be said to be in top form, that player being Pepe.

I just hope that in ten or so games time we are remembering this game as a blip rather than a trend setter.

Spurs deserved their win, and if Pepe had being playing on a similar level to many of the other big names, then Spurs could have had three more goals to their name.

Great start for Spurs and I hope it serves as a kick up the arse for our lot.

Two positives are the way Pepe played, and that I cannot see us playing as badly two games in a row.

Stoke next and time to get points on the board.

I really wouldn't read around. It's a total farce!!!

Let me put it this way to you. Lucas goes out knowing his job is to link the play to gerrard and keep the team moving forward.

He goes out and passes the ball sideways backwards everyway but forward. He didnt dictate the tempo of the game and didnt get any shots in on goal. He didnt do his job basically.

He may not of tripped up half the opposing team as he used to do. But to say he had a good game is a joke.

Whatawaster, you said more has to be expected of a Liverpool player, not at that stage of their career it doesn't tbh, look at Carragher for example. he'd have been dropped & sold in his early twenties if people who share your view on players had their way.

players get better with games & age, Lucas is years away from his peak years, players like Rooney, Fabregas, Messi are freaks of nature, they are exceptions....the norm is for players to develop & improve as they gain experience, think Zidane, Carragher, Henry, even the likes of Fletcher.

Look, i like Lucas as a player, and if you go back over my posts you'll see me defend him more than anyone.
    He just wasn't good today. He wasn't alone and shouldn't be blamed for the result. I know he can do better.
    My one general gripe with him is that he needs to be more confident. He has good technique and he needs to ask for the ball and use it more. It's just not easy when idiots amongst your own fans boo you.

He needs to (and has in the past) show more than he did today. He shouldn't be blamed for today, but at the same time i don't think he did much worthy of praise either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

rossie1977 wrote: »
    last year liverpool were awful until they finally starting playing some football in march (when after that they were brilliant) their last minute goals and team spirit kept the points ticking over though between august and feb when they should have lost or drawn many of the games they won or drew

Awful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

can people please tell me what Lucas did wrong today? only gave the ball away a couple of times, made some great tackles & moved the ball around nicely in the centre of the park.

Lucas was not at fault today. The team itself were all over the place though, I don't know if it's down to missing Alonso but we couldn't put 2 passes together today. Todays performance was worse than anything I can remember from last year and unfortunately today I can't put it down to something like benitez picking the wrong team.
    Hopefully this was just an off day and we won't see anything like that again, for once we didn't deserve it

• Advertisement

whatawaster; made a great tackle at the end of Lennons run tbh ;)

joe123 wrote: »
    Let me put it this way to you. Lucas goes out knowing his job is to link the play to gerrard and keep the team moving forward.

He goes out and passes the ball sideways backwards everyway but forward. He didnt dictate the tempo of the game and didnt get any shots in on goal. He didnt do his job basically.

He may not of tripped up half the opposing team as he used to do. But to say he had a good game is a joke.

now you're being a little unfair. Xabi couldn't have dictated that game today. Xabi excelled because of the help and protection he got from Mascherano/Sissoko. Lucas didn't have that today. There was no movement, shape or cohesion. Also Spurs were so quick to close down it wasn't funny.

whatawaster; made a great tackle at the end of Lennons run tbh ;)

he certainly did, and important it was too.

also like him getting into Huddlestones face at the end :D brave little ****er, Huddlestone is a beast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

If Lucas was doing so well in the centre of the park why did him and Gerrard switch positions?

Lucas will always be a scapegoat but he didn't provide anything that we needed today.

can people please tell me what Lucas did wrong today?

He didn't do much today. Neither did anyone else to be honest. Gerard played well, Yossi done well when he came on. Everyone else was either ok or poor. Never clicked for us today. A bit depressing really, it wasn't like we were unlucky or lost to a last minute goal, we were completely outplayed everywhere on the pitch, that hasn't happend a lot over the last few seasons....

If Lucas was doing so well in the centre of the park why did him and Gerrard switch positions?

because they've been doing so all pre-season.

now you're being a little unfair. Xabi couldn't have dictated that game today. Xabi excelled because of the help and protection he got from Mascherano/Sissoko. Lucas didn't have that today. There was no movement, shape or cohesion. Also Spurs were so quick to close down it wasn't funny.

Who knows how we would of done if we had Xabi in there. One thing I do feel is that if we had, Gerrard and Torres would of got on the ball alot more.

Torres played **** because he had litterally no service. It wasnt untill Yossi came on that it looked like we had another player in the midfield apart from Gerrard who could pass the ball forwards.

If you watch over past pool games Xabi always dropped deep to collect the ball. Lucas looks at times like hes happy to tap the ball sideways and be done of the responsibility.

Fair enough hes only young and needs time. But does it not show how weak our squad is when were STUCK playing him?

Untill Aquilani is fit, drop Lucas to the bench, play Gerrard beside Masch and stick in Yossi behind Torres.

Im glad our next match is so close (hoping Gerrard is fit of course). Stoke at home will be the perfect oppertunity for Lucas to show that he can get the ball forward.

thought Gerrard was poor today tbh, seemed to be playing within himself, reckon the knock he was carrying was playing on his mind.

• Advertisement

Who knows how we would of done if we had Xabi in there. One thing I do feel is that if we had, Gerrard and Torres would of got on the ball alot more.

Torres & Gerrard when they got the ball today didn't look like they weren't at the races tbh, their touches were awful, they saw a good bit of it & did **** all, especially in the second half.

He didn't do much today. Neither did anyone else to be honest. Gerard played well, Yossi done well when he came on. Everyone else was either ok or poor. Never clicked for us today. A bit depressing really, it wasn't like we were unlucky or lost to a last minute goal, we were completely outplayed everywhere on the pitch, that hasn't happend a lot over the last few seasons....

Poor Reina always the forgotten man. He was our best player today by a mile.

Yossi,Gerrard and Yossi aswell. Everyone else = poo.

because they've been doing so all pre-season.

Our pre-season is nothing to brag about; in fact our attitude today looked like it did in the atletico madrid game.

It would have made more sense to start Gerrard next to Masch from the start .

Players who were worse than Lucas today, Johnson, yes he was brilliant for the peno, but wasn't that impressed with him. Carragher and Skrtel, maybe the injury affected them. Babel, Kuyt, Gerrard, Masch and Torres, None of them were any better than Lucas.

We need to play ourselves into this season, stop picking on Lucas, it's pathetic

Is it Stoke on Wednesday? I say three nil and Lucas will score

Torres & Gerrard when they got the ball today didn't look like they weren't at the races tbh, their touches were awful, they saw a good bit of it & did **** all, especially in the second half.

I wouldnt blame Torres to be honest for not playing great today. He had no service at all.

Our pre-season is nothing to brag about; in fact our attitude today looked like it did in the atletico madrid game.

It would have made more sense to start Gerrard next to Masch from the start the start.

i'm not bragging about our pre-season, just pointing out that Gerrard & Lucas didn't change positions out of desperation, they did it as its something the team has obviously being working on & was predicted in this thread before the game was played.

did gerrard attempt a single tackle today? as i've said, he was playing within himself, think him in the CM wouldn't have gone as well, Lucas got about well, showed for the ball, made numerous good tackles.

Gerrard in CM couldn't have played within himself like he obviously did, that was a luxury he had playing off torres & away from the thick of the action for long spells.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Players who were worse than Lucas today, Johnson, yes he was brilliant for the peno, but wasn't that impressed with him. Carragher and Skrtel, maybe the injury affected them. Babel, Kuyt, Gerrard, Masch and Torres, None of them were any better than Lucas.

We need to play ourselves into this season, stop picking on Lucas, it's pathetic

Brilliant for the penalty? Can you explain to me what's so brilliant about getting fouled by the opposition goalkeeper. If the goalkeeper had kept his feet the ball would have gone out for a goal kick.

3-0. Lets not get carried away

orourkeda wrote: »
    Brilliant for the penalty? Can you explain to me what's so brilliant about getting fouled by the opposition goalkeeper. If the goalkeeper had kept his feet the ball would have gone out for a goal kick.

how about a brilliant run past numerous defenders?

pretty sure he meant his run into the box was great. it was tbh.

People tend to pick on Lucas more because he rarely does what Kuyt,Gerrard,Masch or Torres can do. Havant and Waterloovile was a great goal though wasnt it....

Babel can be picked on now aswell. Ive defended him for two seasons. The first game of the new season and it looks as if hel never learn!

I just wish theyd make me eat humble pie. But they wont.

how about a brilliant run past numerous defenders?

His touch was appalling and it was all down to poor goalkeeping

• Advertisement

Joe123 wrote:

Lucas already has tbh, you just won't admit it! :D

orourkeda wrote: »

Because he's a right back, attacked their defenders, got past a few of them and won us a peno when we are one down. We therefore equalised from Johnson's great play!

Are you being serious??

Just to let people know LFC tv channel 434 is free at the minute on sky. There talking about teh match (just started). Roy Evans and some fan are the guests.

Because he's a right back, attacked their defenders, got past a few of them and won us a peno when we are one down. We therefore equalised from Johnson's great play!

Are you being serious??

Yes. The spurs goalkeeper looked like a dingbat after that challenge. Stand up and it was out for a goal kick. Glen johnson was going absolutely nowhere

Poor Reina always the forgotten man. He was our best player today by a mile.

Yossi,Gerrard and Yossi aswell. Everyone else = poo.

I shudder to think what the scoreline would have been without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

People tend to pick on Lucas more because he rarely does what Kuyt,Gerrard,Masch or Torres can do. Havant and Waterloovile was a great goal though wasnt it....

Babel can be picked on now aswell. Ive defended him for two seasons. The first game of the new season and it looks as if hel never learn!

HaHaHa thats funny Joe :)

another falling out between Carew & O'Neill it seems, we should throw in a bid.

great back up for Torres & could play with him as well when needed.

i'm not bragging about our pre-season, just pointing out that Gerrard & Lucas didn't change positions out of desperation, they did it as its something the team has obviously being working on & was predicted in this thread before the game was played.

did gerrard attempt a single tackle today? as i've said, he was playing within himself, think him in the CM wouldn't have gone as well, Lucas got about well, showed for the ball, made numerous good tackles.

Gerrard in CM couldn't have played within himself like he obviously did, that was a luxury he had playing off torres & away from the thick of the action for long spells.

With reference to Gerrards performance, it felt like old Gerrard. In that he didn't appear to have any confidence in his team mates, he wanted to take the ball off them, running into their positions etc.

Lucas wasn't the worst but he can be the most frustrating...I feel he is under so much pressure that he can't take any chances and his only option is to pass backwards so it will definitely get to a team mate.

Babel should never be out on the wing. He should be competing with Ngog for 2nd place striker but he rarely gets the chance.

another falling out between Carew & O'Neill it seems, we should throw in a bid.

great back up for Torres & could play with him as well when needed.

IMO (and i hope i'm wrong) we have no more money for transfers and we wont see any more signings :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement