Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

oh & by the way, i actually thought Ayala looked decent when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

kida wrote: »
    IMO Benitez is doing a Fergie - deflecting the attention of a bad performance

Not deflecting much here
    Rafael Benitez reflected on the opening day 2-1 defeat by Tottenham Hotspur and admitted his team must improve.
    Benoit Assou-Ekotto fired Spurs ahead with a fantastic strike but Steven Gerrard equalised from the penalty spot after superb play from debutant Glen Johnson.

However, Harry Redknapp's charges got the all important goal when Sebastien Bassong headed home from a Luka Modric free-kick.

The Reds' manager was unhappy with the first half display but felt his side showed more attacking threat in the second period.

"We didn't play well, especially the first half, but we were much better in the second half," said Rafa.

"We pushed harder and had more options in the final third, but clearly we have to improve if we want to win these kind of games.

"We have to improve in the middle and keep the ball more and pass it better. The understanding has to be better. As a team we were not comfortable in possession in the first half.

"We were playing against a good team so we knew we needed to play well. We didn't but we have another game on Wednesday against Stoke and we have to improve."

Asked if he felt his side should have been awarded two late penalties, the Benitez admitted: "I think everybody could see, especially the challenge on Voronin. It was so clear. You could maybe say the second incident was ball to hand, but the first one was clear."

Another worry for the boss was the fitness of centre halves Martin Skrtel and Jamie Carragher after the pair clashed heads in the first half.
    Carragher continued with a bandage around his head while Skrtel also tried to play on before eventually being replaced by Spanish youngster Daniel Ayala.

Asked about Skrtel and Carragher's condition, Benitez added: "Martin wanted to continue. We were a little bit worried but he did well. We had to change him in the end because he had a problem. He has had stitches.

"Carra also needed stitches so we will have to see how they are for Wednesday's game."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165434090816-1908.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

wtf was cara at for that clash of heads :confused:

they never looked right after that, he needs to stop launching those dinked passes forward too, gives the ball back 80% of the time

poor performance yesterday, hopefully we can beat stoke and move on from this,

altho i have to say spurs look a definate top 6 shout this season, harry has built a nice squad there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Cyrus wrote: »
    altho i have to say spurs look a definate top 6 shout this season, harry has built a nice squad there

Nice squad?? Understatement.

When you have the likes of Keane, Defoe, Crouch, Modric, Pavlyuchenko etc to chose from, you're going to win games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

When you have the likes of Keane, Defoe, Crouch, Modric, Pavlyuchenko etc to chose from, you're going to win games.

indeed, an array of richs to be fair, only for they were so bad at the start of last season id imagine expectations would be higher, altho he inherited all of those bar crouch, amazing what a change of manager can do,

palacios was his cleverst signing and allowed modric to flourish i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Certainly will.

Their squad, by the way, cost over 40m more to assemble than ours.

Cyrus wrote: »

palacios was his cleverst signing and allowed modric to flourish i think

I can't believe United didn't sign Palacios. He has everything they need in a midfielder. Especially as their scouts would have been watching Wigan a lot in the pursuit of Valencia. In any Wigan game i saw Palacios was by far their standout performer.

Certainly will.

Their squad, by the way, cost over 40m more to assemble than ours.

And tbh - they have a few players I'd happily swap for a few of ours.

And tbh - they have a few players I'd happily swap for a few of ours.

For our first eleven i'd only have Modric. Maybe Palacios as well, depending on how good Aquilani is.

But some useful squad players there indeed. It would be nice to have Lennon as backup to Kuyt and Defoe or Pavaluchenko for Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,789 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

For our first eleven i'd only have Modric. Maybe Palacios as well, depending on how good Aquilani is.

But some useful squad players there indeed. It would be nice to have Lennon as backup to Kuyt and Defoe or Pavaluchenko for Torres

Swap Huddlestone for Lucas yesterday and it would have been a different result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Thought Stevie looked very rusty I'm sure that court case has interupted his pre season.
    Expecting a big performance against stoke but we will miss Sami for dealing with their set pieces, we looked suspect yesterday dealing with set pieces

LOL :D

yep-it was the young Brazilians fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I'd have Ledley king any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    LOL :D

yep-it was the young Brazilians fault.

i think the lad needs to score 4 at old trafford to be taken seriously. yesterday he was one of our better players. I see a big season from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

class act is king but he cant barely play 2 games in a week and then there's hardly any training for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

We were after Neil Lennon at one stage i think. Lets not get carried away. Chances are when we play them in return fixture it will be a completely different story altogether.

prendy wrote: »
    i think the lad needs to score 4 at old trafford to be taken seriously. yesterday he was one of our better players. I see a big season from him.

I blame Phil Neville for him not having legendary status already.

Coming on against Everton, for Gerrard, leaving the fans bemused & Neville stops his injury time winner on the line with his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

We were after Neil Lennon at one stage i think. Lets not get carried away. Chances are when we play them in return fixture it will be a completely different story altogether.
    Aaron.

:D

Boggles wrote: »
    Swap Huddlestone for Lucas yesterday and it would have been a different result.

No it wouldn’t. Spurs as a unit out-fought and out-played Liverpool. Lucas and Huddlestone were operating in vastly different environments. Uncharacteristically, Liverpool gave Spurs too much time and freedom. Huddlestone, Modric and Palacios had far too much scope to do what they want. There were always Spurs players at Lucas’ heels because our whole team was off the pace.

If he was injury free - of course

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Aaron.

Neil, Aaron, John - whatever! lol ;)

Seriously though, for wednesday, I want to see Babel & Lucas dropped, and Riera & Benny in.

And please, noone start any Lucas praising - he was lacklustre yesterday, and he's not going to help break down a defensive team like stoke.

Seriously though, for wednesday, I want to see Babel & Lucas dropped, and Riera & Benny in.

And please, noone start any Lucas praising - he was lacklustre yesterday, and he's not going to help break down a defensive team like stoke.

i read in the tabloids that barca are interested in Riera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

seriously??? he'll play 10-15 games a season. Okay he's good when he plays but we have agger who is a class defender and who seems to be keeping the physios busy enough.

agree about stoke:

id like our front 6 to be:

----masc-
    gerrard
    kuyt--benni--riera(if fit)
    torres

if riera isnt fit stick yossi out wide and play lucas a bit forward of masc:

--masc---
    lucas-
    kuyt--gerrard---benni
    ----torres

prendy wrote: »
    seriously??? he'll play 10-15 games a season. Okay he's good when he plays but we have agger who is a class defender and who seems to be keeping the physios busy enough.

agree about stoke:

id like our front 6 to be:

----masc-
    gerrard
    kuyt--benni--riera(if fit)
    torres

if riera isnt fit stick yossi out wide and play lucas a bit forward of masc:

--masc---
    lucas-
    kuyt--gerrard---benni
    ----torres

Why not throw someone like Pacheco in at the deep end?? Against a team like Stoke, I reckon he could be the difference between 0-0 and 1-0.

Why not throw someone like Pacheco in at the deep end?? Against a team like Stoke, I reckon he could be the difference between 0-0 and 1-0.

Because he’s not as good a player as Benayoun, Kuyt, Riera, Gerrard or Torres. And it’s a must win game. A place on the bench, maybe, but I’d give him runs in the league cup and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Headshot wrote: »
    i read in the tabloids that barca are interested in Riera

Liverpool would like Messi and that ain't gonna happen either. If any left side player is going its Babel.

Because he’s not as good a player as Benayoun, Kuyt, Riera, Gerrard or Torres. And it’s a must win game. A place on the bench, maybe, but I’d give him runs in the league cup and take it from there.

Well, I think there could be a case fro throwing him in at a forward placed midfield position, ahead of Masch.

Wishful thinking on my part, I just want to see someone on the pitch excite me.

Well, I think there could be a case fro throwing him in at a forward placed midfield position, ahead of Masch.

Wishful thinking on my part, I just want to see someone on the pitch excite me.

he'd be eaten alive. It's not about exciting you. It's about winning.

He’s not strong enough for that position. At least not at this stage of his development. Stoke are a physical side who would target him.
    We don’t need to panic like that; it gives out the wrong message.
    First things first we need to get back to basics. What we didn’t do yesterday, and what makes us such a difficult team to beat, is close the opposition down. From there we just need to pass the ball with more urgency. Throughout the team not just in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Still disapointed with yesterday.

GlenJo and Pepe the only players who showed up.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool would like Messi and that ain't gonna happen either. If any left side player is going its Babel.

I just realised I’d take Dossena as a left winger over Babel. Scary. He promised so much.
    To be fair, Dossena has usually done well at left mid.

Is Riera definitely injured? I didn’t see confirmation of that yesterday.

read somewhere that he was over the Espanyol captains funeral, not sure how accurate that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Whatever fans may think about Lucas, it was fairly obvious what the team think.

Gerrards interview pre game, saying the Alonso was a huge lose and only seeing bits and bobs of Aquaman (and him being injured)

And Mascherano wasn't passing to Lucas, effectively cutting him of the game - means that we could be facing a serious dilema

Personally I'd drop Gerrard back into CM, and put Benayoun in the hole with Riera at LWF.

Do that until we get Aquaman fit, if that doesn't work - could be a long season.

Still it's only the 1st game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

mike65 wrote: »

Who would sign Babel ?

zAbbo wrote: »
    Whatever fans may think about Lucas, it was fairly obvious what the team think.

Gerrards interview pre game, saying the Alonso was a huge lose and only seeing bits and bobs of Aquaman (and him being injured)

And Mascherano wasn't passing to Lucas, effectively cutting him of the game - means that we could be facing a serious dilema

Personally I'd drop Gerrard back into CM, and put Benayoun in the hole with Riera at LWF.

Do that until we get Aquaman fit, if that doesn't work - could be a long season.

Still it's only the 1st game.

Yeah, I mean Gerrard never says anything good about Lucas.

No.
    Wait a minute!
    Rafa Benitez is reportedly planning an overhaul during the summer months, and with Lucas Leiva amongst the candidates set for the axe, Steven Gerrard has stepped forward to give the young Brazilian his dues.

Despite some negative criticism from Reds fans after a few suspect performances throughout the season, Gerrard believes that, if given the proper chance, Lucas will become an Anfield great.

"Lucas has had criticism and for me it's been unfair," said Gerrard, according to Sport.co.uk.

"He's a young lad learning his trade and he's certainly got a bright future.

"He does a lot of work that goes unnoticed in this team. He's come into some big games when the manager has said 'sink or swim'.

"He swam, very well, and he's done really well for us."

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Who would sign Babel ?

Villa??

(history repeating an' all that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Wow Lucas certainly gets defended well on here. The quality of player some people dont mind playing for the pool is a bit depressing really.

With Pacheco Id definitely call him up to the first team squad. Not to start him but on the bench. Id play him any day over Voronin,ngog or babel. Hes 18 not 12. Arsenal have been playing young players and it hasnt done their development any harm.

I dont see why some are so afraid to let younger players have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

joe123 wrote: »
    Wow Lucas certainly gets defended well on here. The quality of player some people dont mind playing for the pool is a bit depressing really.

With Pacheco Id definitely call him up to the first team squad. Not to start him but on the bench. Id play him any day over Voronin,ngog or babel. Hes 18 not 12. Arsenal have been playing young players and it hasnt done their development any harm.

See the problem with that is if Rafa put's out the youngster's & they don't deliver it's gonna pile the pressure on him, with regard to results & analysis of the squad. You could be guarunteed that everyone would be complaining that he was jeopardizing our chance of winning the league by playing youngsters. This may be a good learning curve for them but look at your example Arsenal, what have they won the last few years playing all their teens? Rafa knows the league is no. 1 requirement now & he doesn't have the luxury if bedding reserve's in.

I do agree with you to a point though - bringing them in may do no harm but it would raise alot of questions regarding the strength of the squad especially if they are not ready

A poster posts HIS OPPINION that the actions HE PERCIEVED of the players on the pitch indicates that Lucas isn't liked or trusted by the Liverpool players!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

That's an "I saw Masch didn't hug Lucas afer every pass he made, so Masch obviously wants to kill Lucas and all his family" kinda argument.

So to sumerize, somebody suggests that Liverpool players don't like Lucas because of something they dreamt up.
    I post a quote from the Liverpool captain praising the player, and defending him from the kind of morons who baselessly attack him, so that's me excessively defending him.

Allow me to tell you I'd trust Rafa and Gerrard over a million internet forum posters!

Unless a kid is exceptional, a la Rooney, Owen or Fowler, I don’t think playing them in the first team from 18 is necessarily good for their long-term development. Look at the injuries those players suffered over the years, probably due to being pushed too far too young.
    Pacheco is good, but he’s not that good. He’s no Messi and he isn’t fully developed physically yet. In Italy they tend to not break into the first team until their early twenties but go on to play well into their thirties. I’d much rather that for Pacheco than to burn him out too quickly.

A poster posts HIS OPPINION that the actions HE PERCIEVED of the players on the pitch indicates that Lucas isn't liked or trusted by the Liverpool players!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

That's an "I saw Masch didn't hug Lucas afer every pass he made, so Masch obviously wants to kill Lucas and all his family" kinda argument.

So to sumerize, somebody suggests that Liverpool players don't like Lucas because of something they dreamt up.
    I post a quote from the Liverpool captain praising the player, and defending him from the kind of morons who baselessly attack him, so that's me excessively defending him.

Allow me to tell you I'd trust Rafa and Gerrard over a million internet forum posters!

Jesus calm down! I dont know what your on about with the whole mascherano hug thing and I wasnt targeting your post in specific anyways so Gerrards quote defending lucas wasnt in my thoughts at all to be honest.

I just see alot of people defending lucas and mentioning how "well" he played yesterday. The team didnt play well and neither did he. Difference is Torres,Kuyt and Gerrard etc have proven themselves over and over. Lucas had another average display doing nothing much yet people seem happy with him. Its funny enough. But in a way that makes me a little bit sad.

With playing Pacheco im not saying lump him into every league game from here till Christmas. Im saying put him on the bench. When the time comes to decide between him or Voronin coming on, maybe sometimes it wouldnt do any harm to bring on pacheco instead. Not everytime but now and again.

And regards the whole youngsters being played too early....Wenger is a genius and he does it all the time. Some of the players hes created. Look at Fabregas. He wasnt a world beater at the start but take a look at him now.Hes in the hundreds with apps for the club yet hes still only 21/22.

And if Fabregas is an exception then he hasnt done to badly with the likes of Song,Clichy etc.

EDIT: I do actually think pacheco is quality so I might be biased.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The oft quoted Arsenal example only stacks up if you ignore the fact that Arsene's kids have won sweet FA.

spockety wrote: »
    The oft quoted Arsenal example only stacks up if you ignore the fact that Arsene's kids have won sweet FA.

and only got CL spot last year because of Villas quite speculor implosion.

Yes but that doesnt really have anything to do with this. Im not saying have an influx of youth. Just one namely in that of Pacheco.

Then if need be we could use Spearing and maybe give nemeth a chance (but was very disapointed with him in pre season).

EDIT: I do actually think pacheco is quality so I might be biased.

I think he's quality too.

and i think only one or two of the really young players that went on that Carling Cup run two or three years ago are still at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yes its well proven that you win nothing with kids.;)

I can't believe the knee jerk reaction , Its one game, all be it bad start for Liverpool it's a tad early for all the doom and gloom. A win against Stoke and I expect we will see the the exact opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jaysus, look who it is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Jaysus, look who it is ;)

I missed you too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and only got CL spot last year because of Villas quite speculor implosion.

Really?????????

Wouldnt have nothing to do with them losing their whole midfield???

Gilberto and flamini gone, adebayor wasnt at the races for the start of the season wanting a money move to anyone who would pay. Fabregas and wallcott out for a huge chunk of the season aswell as others like van persie missing in parts???.......arsenal were very thin on staff.

How would we have faired last season with the equivalent out???

A CL spot was a triumph for wenger last season and to be quite frank, id give anything to have the likes of vela/eduardo as back up at liverpool.

Jesus calm down! I dont know what your on about with the whole mascherano hug thing and I wasnt targeting your post in specific anyways so Gerrards quote defending lucas wasnt in my thoughts at all to be honest.

Sorry, I haven't read the past few pages.
    Just saw your post after mine and assumed it was aimed at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Was reading piece by Aldo from paper two Sundays ago.. Recalled time he took his kid to 2001 FA Cup final when the pool played Arsenal. With ten minutes to go he left to avoid the rush. Kid never got to see the two Owen goals and he says that he will probably never forgive him for it.
    From same paper, seven pundits were polled on who would win league. Four went for Pool to finish first, two more for them to finish second.
    Tellingly most agreed that Chelsea would finish third at best.
    And only one I think went for United.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement