Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lol, sorry....i was eating a chicken fillet & a slice of apple pie before bed-so i figured i'd talk to the fella, his season has peaked in the first weekend-and he is going to find the rest of the year tough, he may as well enjoy tonight.

God damn what I wouldn't give for a slice of apple pie right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Dub13 wrote: »
    Just in from the Match V Bohs,a couple of the young lads look good.

What sort of team had we out? Any sign of Pacheco/Nemeth/Kelly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Anyone know if the highlights of the Bohs game is/was on anywhere?? Didn't see it in the TV guide :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

joe123 wrote: »
    What sort of team had we out? Any sign of Pacheco/Nemeth/Kelly?
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165456090817-2152.htm

Surely the main site would have been your first port of call Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165456090817-2152.htm

Surely the main site would have been your first port of call Joe!

:pac:

Great stuff nice to see the two lads I mentioned earlier doing well. Hopefully Rafa will start to consider them more!

With Pacheco I havent been looking more forward to a player breaking through since....Richie Partridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Just back from the match myself was a great turn out and great couple of goals in the very very end! was a bit unfair on the boh's team as I thought they were better on the night. Nemeth was class though changed the game when he came on, should be on the starting 11 sometime this year, but I'm afraid the rest of the team looked like they were suffering from bus lag or something, or maybe it was bohs just playing well.

The number 12 for Boh's was very good, dont know what his name is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Oh this sesaon is going to be fun.

Utd and Spurs fans coming in here and "cracking up" after only the first game of the season.
    And we even lost.

I can't wait to see how pathetically desperate when we're winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Headshot wrote: »
    ESPN,Sky and setanta arent showing any mid week games at all

it's crazy tbh

No channel has the rights and consider sky is showing 9 of the champions league games on Tuesday and Wednesday when how would they get a premier league game in that schedule.

I dont care as i will be over at the Liverpool game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

according to Tony Barret and Thommo,Rafa has the grand total of 2m to sign players before the end of the window:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well if rafa has 2m to spent he'll still make the right signing.
    I don't care about tony barrett but thommo might aswell be a club employee he'd happily lie to keep the clubs interests at heart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

raven136 wrote: »
    according to Tony Barret and Thommo,Rafa has the grand total of 2m to sign players before the end of the window:mad:
    I've heard more or less the same also. Rafa was depending on the Voronin sale to bring in a new striker and that fell through. Sweet jesus what the hell is happening when even Wigan have more money to spend than us.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

mayordenis wrote: »
    well if rafa has 2m to spent he'll still make the right signing.
    I don't care about tony barrett but thommo might aswell be a club employee he'd happily lie to keep the clubs interests at heart.

Tbh Barrett would now more than Thommo would,always on he money bout Rafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

(nice username by the way-another lad who went running once a big club came along)[/QUOTE]

yeah funny you mention above , is this along the same lines as alonso leaving for a bigger club and mach beggin to leave for a bigger club. Is it not worrying that some of the bigger lights want out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why are you on this thread? To enlightening or annoy? I notice that you have not polluted any other teams Superthread since you were granted permission to post on Soccer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=8026176&pp=25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

was at the game last night...turned out wasn't too bad. bohs didnt deserve to lose though.

On liverpool watch-

Pacheco had a great game pointed out to my uncle before the match began and sure enough he was MOTM. Great pace, vision and passing but has no left foot.

Nemeth came on near the end and looked a bit of a threat.

Most surprised but the No2 (think it was Irwin) one for the future that lad bombing up and down the wing all night.

overall the played well some good players there... honourable mention for Mavinga too.

As a bohs fan I was real impressed with them they gave a great account of themselves. very composed throughout.

was worth the entrance fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

www.football 365.com

Newspapers reporting Rafa has only 1.5-2 million to spend on much needed defensive re-inforcements. Not good lads (if true of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Rafa having little money to spend story is doing the rounds

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5497148,00.html

*Edit* Beaten to it by flahavaj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

mike65 wrote: »
    Why are you on this thread? To enlightening or annoy? I notice that you have not polluted any other teams Superthread since you were granted permission to post on Soccer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=8026176&pp=25

Easy tiger!. :confused:Is a fella not allowed to have a bit of light banter?

• Advertisement

Sorry lads, didn't realise the money story had been posted, don't know how I missed it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This one piece that sprung to mind when I think of this season's shambolic transfer fund.

“If Rafa said he wanted to buy ‘Snoogy Doogy’ we would back him.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

flahavaj wrote: »
    Sorry lads, didn't realise the money story had been posted, don't know how I missed it tbh.
    Probably due to the other 50 posts of sh*t surrounding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

BERBA wrote: »
    Can we play the pool every week????????????
    Can we play the pool every week ?

If you want to finish way down the table, why not?
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Just in from the Match V Bohs,a couple of the young lads look good.

Pacheco was in a class of his own really, though his decision making and final ball weren’t brilliant.

They must have oversold the fekin ground because there were little or no empty seats in the stand we were in (connacht st?) and loads of people standing, so we ended up having to sit on a step watching the game listening to idiots in Liverpool jersey’s shouting racist abuse at some of our players. Sickening to be honest.
    The whole organizational side of things was a shambles but some of the performances were decent. Apart from Pacheco I thought Amoo looked very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

BERBA warned and temp banned (3 days) for trolling.

Easy tiger!. :confused:Is a fella not allowed to have a bit of light banter?

First off that's not light banter, and secondly, no.

I suggest you read the rules of this forum.

Specifically the parts where it says.
    TROLLING: Posting provocative or controversial opinions with the intention of winding up other posters will not be tolerated. The moderators reserve the right to make a judgement call on a poster's intent, and issue warnings/infractions/bans as necessary. For more detail on mod policy on trolling, see below.

THREADSPOILING: If you do not like a thread topic do not post in it. Suggesting a thread is boring or pointless is considered threadspoiling, this includes the use of pictures to derail a thread. The basic rule is if you post in a thread ensure you are adding to the debate and not commenting on it's validity. If you believe a post/thread is in breach of this charter then you should report the post and allow the mods deal with it.

It's too easy for arguments to spoil threads here, so fairly Draconian meassures are needed.

A friendly warning is that you may be banned for a while if you keep up the "light banter".

Edit: Opps, to slow with the advice I see.

• Advertisement

If you want to finish way down the table, why not?

Pacheco was in a class of his own really, though his decision making and final ball weren’t brilliant.

They must have oversold the fekin ground because there were little or no empty seats in the stand we were in (connacht st?) and loads of people standing, so we ended up having to sit on a step watching the game listening to idiots in Liverpool jersey’s shouting racist abuse at some of our players. Sickening to be honest.
    The whole organizational side of things was a shambles but some of the performances were decent. Apart from Pacheco I thought Amoo looked very good.

Didn't have the same problems in the main stand myself. Organisation & everything seemed ok. You'll always get a few louts at these games trying to make a name for themselves in the stand.

Agree with your summary on Pacheco, last ball seemed to elude him til the goal. He was different class throughout the 90 though. Nemeth look razor sharp when he came on. Thought the right back Irwin had a great game bombing forward. Was also impressed with Mavinga & also number 6 in the middle of the park.

One thing that did strike me was how light-weight Pacheco is. Wasn't really expecting him to be so small in stature but I suppose that doesn't matter as long as he can produce on the biggest stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If rafa really has only 2m to spend he should walk, we can now be outspent by teams like villa, spurs, sunderland etc it's just not good enough, we are blessed to have a manager like him but he has been stitched up this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

This one piece that sprung to mind when I think of this season's shambolic transfer fund.

“If Rafa said he wanted to buy ‘Snoogy Doogy’ we would back him.”

Hasn't he already spent over £37 million this season on Johnson and Aqualini? That's hardly a shambolic transfer fund is it? I know he has recouped most of that through player being sold on but it is a lot of money to spend.

There must be still some money available unless the yanks have taken a slice of the Alonso money, I'd say they are just trying to keep the price of their targets down.

If it's true that he only has £2 million left in the kitty it has been a pretty poor transfer window for Rafa. He really has only slightly strengthened the right back position with Johnson and weakened his midfield with the sale of Alonso. Aqualini, Alonso's replacement though highly rated in Italy is a gamble. Overall the team appears to have been weakened (imo). The next few months will tell if that's true or not.

Cyrus wrote: »
    If rafa really has only 2m to spend he should walk, we can now be outspent by teams like villa, spurs, sunderland etc it's just not good enough, we are blessed to have a manager like him but he has been stitched up this summer

ourselves united and arsenal are all on course to make a profit in the window :/

The Muppet wrote: »
    Hasn't he already spent over £37 million this season on Johnson and Aqualini? That's hardly a shambolic transfer fund is it? I know he has recouped most of that through player being sold on but it is a lot of money to spend.

Fund? Transfer fund? Nope, no fund - sold player for about 40mil (actual cash now, not including structured deals) has only actually spent only 10mil on Johnson and 5 on aquilani (both heavily structured)

• Advertisement

A couple of loan signings maybe.

It is a joke to be honest.
    To think, at the end of the 07/08 season we probably though we were 4 players short of a great team. Since then the manager has effectively had nothing to spend. Crazy.
    At least we know one thing for sure, as if we didn’t know already – Livertweet were talking sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Shhh don't give him any ideas

There must be still some money available unless the yanks have taken a slice of the Alonso money, I'd say they are just trying to keep the price of their targets down.

If it's true that he only has £2 million left in the kitty it has been a pretty poor transfer window for Rafa. He really has only slightly strengthened the right back position with Johnson and weakened his midfield with the sale of Alonso. Aqualini, Alonso's replacement though highly rated in Italy is a gamble. Overall the team appears to have been weakened (imo). The next few months will tell if that's true or not.

It’s a lot of money to spend but he’s had to significantly weaken his squad to spend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Wouldn't surprise me to see a new player or a new manager by the end of the week.

What about Sol Campbell? Not bad 4th choice cover for ye and would be affordable within the paltry budget available?

Benítez has wheeled and dealed this summer but has made only two significant signings, Glen Johnson, the right back, and Alberto Aquilani, the injured midfield player, for a combined total of about £36 million.

This outlay has been more than matched by the proceeds from the sales of Xabi Alonso, Álvaro Arbeloa and Sebastián Leto, as well as Adam Hammill, Jack Hobbs and Paul Anderson, the squad players, for an estimated £38 million.

The Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,789 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

7 or 8 new contracts can easily eat into whatever change was left over from the Alonso deal.

Something has to pay for Rafas 25 million contract, etc.

Torres and Gerrard just signed huge contracts, it has to come from somewhere. Masch will have to be offered double, treble wages too.

Not surprising really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mayordenis wrote: »
    Fund? Transfer fund? Nope, no fund - sold player for about 40mil (actual cash now, not including structured deals) has only actually spent only 10mil on Johnson and 5 on aquilani (both heavily structured)

With the exception of City, Chelsea and Real most transfer deals would be highly structured. Rafa has spent close to £40 million this summer, that money still has to be paid, just over a longer period.

If he has only spent £15 million cash where has the extra £35 million odd that he has recouped from sales this year gone? Could it be on structured payments for players purchased seasons ago or has it gone elsewhere?

Boggles wrote: »
    7 or 8 new contracts can easily eat into whatever change was left over from the Alonso deal.

Torres and Gerrard just signed huge contracts, it has to come from somewhere. Masch will have to be offered double, treble wages too.

Not surprising really.

It’s the same with every club though – every club offers new contracts with signing on fees and increased wages.

That said, I’d rather us spend nothing each year and stay in business than increase our debt. I know if Rafa stays he’ll keep us in the top 4 on a shoestring.
    Winning the league will be tough though – this season might be our best chance if our spending isn’t going to increase in subsequent years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Welcome back Muppet

With the exception of City, Chelsea and Real most transfer deals would be highly structured. Rafa has spent close to £40 million this summer, that money still has to be paid, just over a longer period.

If he has only spent £15 million cash where has the extra £35 million odd that he has recouped from sales this year gone? Could it be on structured payments for players purchased seasons ago or has it gone elsewhere?

aye boggles is bang on above and you are too btw, the money is going to new contracts mostly and some on new purchases. Mascherano is on about 30k which for someone of his level is **** all - but if in-house a decision about him leaving in the future has been made then he'll hardly sign anything new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Boggles wrote: »

Not surprising really.

its not surprising that the yanks have swallowed it up.

but it is a ****ing joke.

forced to wheel & deal with **** all actual investment into the squad, it's a joke.

Yes. It’s pointless thinking of these things on a cashflow basis as they can be manipulated any way people like as people conveniently leave out certain deals.

We’ve spent 35 million approx this summer (17 on Johnson, 17 on Aquilani, small amounts on youths)
    We’ve brought in 37 million approx this summer (Alonso, Arbeloa, Leto, Hobbs, Anderson, Hammill).

We haven’t had a penny to spend this summer. If we’d managed to keep Alonso and Arbeloa we probably could have signed nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    its not surprising that the yanks have swallowed it up.

but it is a ****ing joke.

forced to wheel & deal with **** all actual investment into the squad, it's a joke.

It's happened with all the American owners.

No clue about football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des wrote: »
    It's happened with all the American owners.

No clue about football

that doesn't make it right :( or acceptable, especially when we're still expected to overtake the side that has dominated English football for the last 2 decades spending huge money to get into that position & maintain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I find it hard to believe that Rafa would have fought tooth and nail in contract negotiations only to end up in this situation. Surely the owners had to give certain guarantees, and those guarantees would have been written into an unbreakable contract?

Don't believe what the rags are saying, this is just a case of striking while the iron is hot (i.e. our opening day loss) by adding to the current doom and gloom fans are feeling right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd imagine this is all on account of the harsh refinancing deal forced upon G&H.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I find it hard to believe that Rafa would have fought tooth and nail in contract negotiations only to end up in this situation. Surely the owners had to give certain guarantees, and those guarantees would have been written into an unbreakable contract?

Don't believe what the rags are saying, this is just a case of striking while the iron is hot (i.e. our opening day loss) by adding to the current doom and gloom fans are feeling right now.

TB doesn't write for rags.

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Yeah a little bit of me is still hoping that this is all a smokescreen – clever media tactics.

But to be honest I think what Rafa wanted most in those negotiations was more control over transfer policy rather than specific amounts. As well as more influence in the academy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement