Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where are the owners getting idea that the club is worth 6-800 million?? Eugh....

The same place the Glazers are getting the idea Utd is worth at least 1.5 billion. Must check the US sporting media tomorrow and see what they make of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

the official inter site has details of rafa's proposed contract which hasn't been signed yet up? you what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Lukker- wrote: »
    United's high turnover means they can at least service the interest on debt which keeps the banks happy. Liverpool although have a smaller debt I think have defaulted on payments and have been given a 6 month extension to pay (not sure if this is a fixed sum) by RBS.

i am not sure you are the best person to be explaining this as you dont seem to grasp the situation at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

so it's all but official. Rafa has all but walked into the top job available in Europe right now.

marvellous.

just what i needed for my rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

mike65 wrote: »
    LFC is only 400 million in debt and the owners want to sell, the Glazers have not got a pot to piss in and won't sell. I know match revenues et al are bigger for Utd but I think their overall position is actually rather worse.

Liverpool can't service their own debt.

Liverpool don't have the assets, eg. stadia, to interest potential buyers. Any new owner will have to build a new stadium. Liverpool FC is by no means in a better position than anybody. Right now, they are in a spiral downwards.

Regardless, Liverpool won't be able to flex any sort financial muscle until they build a new stadium.

We will know a lot more by July 24th anyway about Liverpool.

Liverpool, like United, are sitting on top of some very nasty financial figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

No. No. No. He has not been involved in management for about 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

No Dalglish quotes there. Usually means it is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Mirror are running a story tomorrow that a formal approach will be made for Hodgson in the next 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Daglish for manager is all about sentiment.

Osu wrote: »
    No Dalglish quotes there. Usually means it is rubbish.

Tony Barrett had Benitez story well ahead of the rest. He's usually pretty reliable. He's actually very reliable. Daily Mail running the same story.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

noodler wrote: »
    Great signing.

Are you being sacastic?

Senderos has been a liability so many times. He had a decent season or two when he came into the Arsenal setup first, but he is not a top quality CB.

mike65 wrote: »
    The Mirror are running a story tomorrow that a formal approach will be made for Hodgson in the next 48 hours.

Maddock after Barrett is pretty reliable also. So I'd well believe they will approach Hodgson. Whats apparent is that Dalglish believes he could do a better job. Dalglish has a proven track record of winning. Hodgson is a steady hand but has never achieved great success. I know who I'd want.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Senderos is Switzerlands answer to Paul McShane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I hope we dont get either of them (Hodgson, Dalglish) to be honest; although I should probably resign myself to the fact that its a stop gap, its a stop gap, its a stop gap.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »
    the official inter site has details of rafa's proposed contract which hasn't been signed yet up? you what?

The contract is just waiting on a counter signiture which is to happen on Wednesday along with the announcement of when the press conference will be held to officially show Rafa as the Inter head couch.

It is in the Italian version of the site, not the English version of the site which only carries an abbreviated version of most articles for non Italian speakers.

And yes I speak Italian along with German, Spanish, and Danish with some basic French thrown in, before ya throw some smart language comment at me. :D Kind of helped to speak, read, and write the lingos when I worked and lived in mainland Europe.

I don't see any better alternatives to Dalglish. Their is not one single candidate who knows what it takes to win the league apart from Dalglish. Hodgson had a great season, thats it, one great season. Where he won nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

I don't see any better alternatives to Dalglish. Their is not one single candidate who knows what it takes to win the league apart from Dalglish. Hodgson had a great season, thats it, one great season. Where he won nothing.

Hitzfeld,
    Not even getting a mention in any paper, He's probably be interested if approached ,
    Zero links..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He knew what it took to win the league 15 years ago.

argosy2006 wrote: »
    Hitzfeld,
    Not even getting a mention in any paper, He's probably be interested if approached ,
    Zero links..

Does he know english football? no. Would he work under the constraints? I doubt it. Dalglish is perfect til new owners are there. And with a bit of luck might get what is a decent squad back playing football the Liverpool way.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    He knew what it took to win the league 15 years ago.

He's 3 years younger than Hodgson. Better to have won a league rather than not won it. Football hasn't changed that much. With the right backroom staff Dalglish could be a wonderful appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

someone like Hitzfeld knows football full stop. He's in the same league as Hiddink tbh, just not as sexy as name to Sky Sports generation. Would be a great choice imho.

He's 3 years younger than Hodgson. Better to have won a league rather than not won it. Football hasn't changed that much. With the right backroom staff Dalglish could be a wonderful appointment.

I never mentioned his age.

He'd be an acceptable stop gap measure for one season if ye don't get a new owner in. Football has changed a lot and Kevin Keegan going back to Newcastle proved you can't duck in an and out of it an expect to be at the races.

Dr Galen wrote: »
    someone like Hitzfeld knows football full stop. He's in the same league as Hiddink tbh, just not as sexy as name to Sky Sports generation. Would be a great choice imho.

He'd be a rubbish choice. We've had two tactically minded European coaches in Houllier and Benitez and in fairness we've had success in Europe but none in the League. Given the circumstances, appointing a British coach with a pedigree is worth a shot.

Premiership football is pretty one dimensional. Get the ball attack, Dalglish oversaw the greatest proponents of that in the 87/88 team.

He'd be a rubbish choice. We've had two tactically minded European coaches in Houllier and Benitez and in fairness we've had success in Europe but none in the League. Given the circumstances, appointing a British coach with a pedigree is worth a shot.

Premiership football is pretty one dimensional. Get the ball attack, Dalglish oversaw the greatest proponents of that in the 87/88 team.

The most obvious, but far from the only, reason you're wrong.

The most obvious, but far from the only, reason you're wrong.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just stop. Go read a bit about Hitzfeld's record in football. Compare it to Dalglish's (which is quite impressive in its own right). Then come back here and admit you were wrong, that you didn't know much about Hitzfeld when you started this line of posting.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Just stop. Go read a bit about Hitzfeld's record in football. Compare it to Dalglish's (which is quite impressive in its own right). Then come back here and admit you were wrong, that you didn't know much about Hitzfeld when you started this line of posting.

I know plenty about Hitzfeld. I know the majority of his success came at Bayern at a time when they were the buying all of the best players in Germany. No doubt he has pedigree. But his star is on the wane of late and I don't see him as being someone who would operate well under the constraints that Liverpool are currently under.

Why?

I've no desire to get into a debate with you as to be honest I doubt you're even serious. But quoting what someone did all of 23 years ago to support the notion that they should become the next manager of Liverpool and replace a man who has been deemed good enough to take over a team that won everything last season, is ill-advised in the extreme.

I know plenty about Hitzfeld. I know the majority of his success came at Bayern at a time when they were the buying all of the best players in Germany. No doubt he has pedigree. But his star is on the wane of late and I don't see him as being someone who would operate well under the constraints that Liverpool are currently under.

You know he won the CL with Dortmund as well right? Has won league competitions 9 times with three different clubs? The most recent of which was two years ago?

• Advertisement

I've no desire to get into a debate with you as to be honest I doubt you're even serious. But quoting what someone did all of 23 years ago to support the notion that they should become the next manager of Liverpool and replace a man who has been deemed good enough to take over a team that won everything last season, is ill-advised in the extreme.

Thats where Liverpool are I'm afraid. We will not be attracting the biggest names due to our instability. We need a steady hand to oversee the transition of owners, if it happens. Its coming down to Hodgson or Dalglish. I'm backing Dalglish.

The sooner everyone pulls their hands from their eyes and accepts the reality of our situation the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Exactly, consistent success in Europe is what is important. It attracts players and managers. Remember, the brand we have, is what City, Spurs and Villa are frantically seeking.

No point winning a League and not having the guile in Europe.
    In fairness to Dalglish, he never had the chance at Liverpool. From memory Blackburn didn't do that great, but neither did United or Leeds then. It was a different time back then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    No point winning a League and not having the guile in Europe.

Do you support Liverpool by any chance???:rolleyes:

Thats where Liverpool are I'm afraid. We will not be attracting the biggest names due to our instability. We need a steady hand to oversee the transition of owners, if it happens. Its coming down to Hodgson or Dalglish. I'm backing Dalglish.

The sooner everyone pulls their hands from their eyes and accepts the reality of our situation the better.

Hitzfeld is available after the world cup, and not earning huge money currently as Swiss manager.

You know he won the CL with Dortmund as well right? Has won league competitions 9 times with three different clubs? The most recent of which was two years ago?

Yes I know. I watched Lars Ricken score that peach against Juventus way back when.

He has spent a lot of money at Bayern to achieve success. Thats not an option at Liverpool.

Yes I know. I watched Lars Ricken score that peach against Juventus way back when.

He has spent a lot of money at Bayern to achieve success. Thats not an option at Liverpool.

I can't believe I'm still here. But how much did Dalglish spend at Blackburn, if thats the road you're going down?

Hitzfeld is available after the world cup, and not earning huge money currently as Swiss manager.

He's not on the radar I'm afraid. The Times, The Guardian and The Daily Mail are all running the Dalglish story. Thats where we are I'm afraid.

I can't believe I'm still here. But how much did Dalglish spend at Blackburn, if thats the road you're going down?

Its alright. Head off to bed.;)

Do you support Liverpool by any chance???:rolleyes:

I'll give you 2 :rolleyes::rolleyes: in response.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What?

He's not on the radar I'm afraid. The Times, The Guardian and The Daily Mail are all running the Dalglish story. Thats where we are I'm afraid.

That's not an argument for why Dalglish would be a better / more realistic candidate.

I'm not here to antagonise, I'm just reporting the breaking news. Read the papers tomorrow and make your own mind up.

What I will say is that Tony Barret in the times has his finger on the pulse and has been proven correct many times with regards to Liverpool. He formerly worked with the Liverpool echo and obviously has insider sources.

I'm pleased if Kenny Dalglish is being considered. He's got more feeling and emotion for Liverpool than any other names being mentioned and I think at this present moment in time thats exactly what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i'm not knocking Dalglish as an option. He wouldn't be my first pick, but we are where we are.

Hitzfeld on the other hand would be an excellent pick, despite your misguided ramblings mate. Even if we weren't financially ****ed and run by cowboys, I'd be happy with him as a Rafa replacement.

Bet you it's them all repeating the same story.

I'm not here to antagonise, I'm just reporting the breaking news. Read the papers tomorrow and make your own mind up.

What I will say is that Tony Barret in the times has his finger on the pulse and has been proven correct many times with regards to Liverpool. He formerly worked with the Liverpool echo and obviously has insider sources.

I'm pleased if Kenny Dalglish is being considered. He's got more feeling and emotion for Liverpool than any other names being mentioned and I think at this present moment in time thats exactly what we need.

I think I don't need to read papers to make up my mind on how unsuitable a candidate Kenny Dalglish is at this point in time.

• Advertisement

I have an RSS reader for that. Feedly it is called, excellent Firefox add on for Google reader.

Yes, if he is interested, he shouldn't be anywhere near the selection committee.

Dr Galen wrote: »
    i'm not knocking Dalglish as an option. He wouldn't be my first pick, but we are where we are.

Hitzfeld on the other hand would be an excellent pick, despite your misguided ramblings mate. Even if we weren't financially ****ed and run by cowboys, I'd be happy with him as a Rafa replacement.

What misguided ramblings? I'd describe your assertion that Hitzfeld would be a suitable replacement for Benitez as the ramblings of a delusional fantasist. But thats football we all have opinions.

What misguided ramblings? I'd describe your assertion that Hitzfeld would be a suitable replacement for Benitez as the ramblings of a delusional fantasist. But thats football we all have opinions.
    Somewhat over the top for a mere opinion....

Somewhat over the top for a mere opinion....

Of course. But a lot of people believed Galileo to be a delusional fantasist too. Doesn't mean he wasn't right.

You are obviously too educated for me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement