Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

event wrote: »
    ah, so you read the guardian too

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/09/liverpool-kenny-dalglish-rafael-benitez

why would you rather Daglish over hitzfeld?

Purely being pragmatic. Plus I believe the style of football Dalglish teams play would lend itself to greater success in the Premiership. The big question mark is whether or not he could reproduce that philosohphy. I think its worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

101001 wrote: »
    I kinda have that feeling myself that he will stick to what he knows. His defensive approach could alienate squad members... That is especially a problem now as it's a perfect opportunity for players to jump ship. I reckon though that any manager that takes the job will face that problem. I really can't get behind thr Dalglish as manager.... I can't see it going well

I agree to a point but... would you have an issue if Lippi was appointed? If he was, we'd still have a totally defensive game I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Inter to offer £33m for Dirk and Masch? dont have the link here, but it seems a bit low....

also football 365 going with the Kenny Dalglish wanting to take over story...

about right - 25M + 8M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Inter to offer £33m for Dirk and Masch? dont have the link here, but it seems a bit low....

also football 365 going with the Kenny Dalglish wanting to take over story...

Masch has a year left on his contract doesn't he? So he's not going to command a fee much higher than that. Kuyt I wouldn't be too sad to see the back of, fantastic guy but not what we need on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1285265/Rafa-Benitez-returns-Liverpool-33m-offer-Dirk-Kuyt-Javier-Mascherano.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0qM7wVWvb

Wouldnt bother me too much. O'neill could bring in milner and young for that when he joins :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Des wrote: »
    possibilities

possibilities, no?

rafa-benitez-22.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

My basic view is that Liverpool need to appoint someone who can keep the Gerrard and Torres on board. I Have no doubt that both had some say in Benitez leaving. Appointing Dalglish would appease Gerrard and may go some way to appeasing Torres.

I think its highly unlikely that Liverpool will appoint Hitzfeld, Riijkaard, Hiddink etc...So rather than delude myself with names like this I am considering the merits of Dalglish or Hodgson.

when you are appointing managers to appease players you know for sure your club is in big trouble, for liverpool 2010 re: newcastle circa 2000, the similarities are uncanny, back then managers were appointed to appease shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I'd be extremely sad to see Kuyt go, especially now when we need a bit of fighting spirit more than ever. And I think his occasional clumsiness disguises his overall effectiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Although i like Dirk Kuyt a lot - he's 29 now, was very much part of Rafa's system here, and is someone i think we should cash in on if we can.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    when you are appointing managers to appease players you know for sure your club is in big trouble, for liverpool 2010 re: newcastle circa 2000, the similarities are uncanny, back then managers were appointed to appease shearer

The body language from Torres, Carragher and Gerrard all season gave lie to the problems that existed within the squad. Riera, Babel, Banayoun, the loss of Alonso.

Rafa had the fans backing but ultimately player power prevailed. Thats the way of modern football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rafa had the fans backing but ultimately player power prevailed. Thats the way of modern football.

please stop talking sh1te....

Although i like Dirk Kuyt a lot - he's 29 now, was very much part of Rafa's system here, and is someone i think we should cash in on if we can.

8-10m is hardly "cashing in"!

8-10m is hardly "cashing in"!

i'd accept a bid of 10m for Kuyt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While I don't particuarly subscribe the player power theories, I am struck by the lack of commentary by players bar Reina (and Riera for very different reasons). Yes the World Cup is almost on us and all our senior players are busy but I'd really have expected something from Gerrard esp.

mike65 wrote: »
    While I don't particuarly subscribe the player power theories, I am struck by the lack of commentary by players bar Reina (and Riera for very different reasons). Yes the World Cup is almost on us and all our senior players are busy but I'd really have expected something from Gerrard esp.

dont forget masch but the lack of comments is surprising from Gerrard and Carra, maybe they wont talk about it till after the WC - so 2 weeks or so for them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

That's bollocks. It was owner power that got rid of Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Is stumpypeeps SOTS?

please stop talking sh1te....

Do you think senior players are consulted about these decisions? Club captain consulted? If you don't your living in a make believe land of fairies and lollipops.

The Liverpool daily post is reporting that Kenny Dalglish, contrary to opinion, was never on a selection panel to choose the next manager and has offered to take charge.

The likelihood of this information being reliable is higher than most other sources.

mike65 wrote: »
    I am struck by the lack of commentary by players bar Reina (and Riera for very different reasons). Yes the World Cup is almost on us and all our senior players are busy but I'd really have expected something from Gerrard esp.

Exactly. There hasn't been any outrage about his dismissal from a single Liverpool player. Get your heads out of the sand guys.

Gerrards mate Redknapp suggested on Tom Dunne this morning that the players felt it was time for a change.

He might have a little more access than most of us here.

Do you think senior players are consulted about these decisions? Club captain consulted? If you don't your living in a make believe land of fairies and lollipops.

there is nothing to suggest that was the case, you're making a big leap there.

• Advertisement

I don't think for a second that player power got rid of Rafa.

But i also think there is probably a sizeable portion of the squad not displeased to see him go - for many (mostly selfish) reasons. As well of course, as a sizeable portion who'll be devasted (Pepe's posse)

I think most of the players, and particularly the big names, have a huge amount of respect for Rafa and owe him a lot. but they aren't stupid, they recognised how stale things had become, how damaging last season was. Something needed to change at the club, be it the players or the manager. I'd say there were some sighs of relief being breathed by certain players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

please, please, PLEASE...

would people stop insinuating that he lost the dressing room. there is zero proof, bar Gerrard being a lazy git.

Torres' body language? good grief. apart from being injured i don't know what messages you're getting from his body. the brum game is NOT an example IMO. he thought he knew his body, was a little confused at coming off, but lo and behold, he then had an ice-pack on, and a game or 2 later was out for the season. and N'Gog was an improvement when he came on, bar the finishing :p

our problem was depth of quality; very very little to do with players being unhappy with the manager.

on Reina not coming out and saying anything, well, he's at the WC, and he's said more than enough in the past. and he just signed a 6-year deal.

this rumour that Rafa was somehow disliked by the players that matter at the club needs to stop.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Is stumpypeeps SOTS?

i think so...

Gerrards mate Redknapp suggested on Tom Dunne this morning that the players felt it was time for a change.

oh, i didn't realise 'The Oracle' Jamie Redknapp said so.

well then...

I don't think for a second that player power got rid of Rafa.

But i also think there is probably a sizeable portion of the squad not displeased to see him go - for many (mostly selfish) reasons. As well of course, as a sizeable portion who'll be devasted (Pepe's posse)

I think most of the players, and particularly the big names, have a huge amount of respect for Rafa and owe him a lot. but they aren't stupid, they recognised how stale things had become, how damaging last season was. Something needed to change at the club, be it the players or the manager. I'd say there were some sighs of relief being breathed by certain players.

Thats what I'm suggesting more so than a player revolt. I believe senior players were consulted by Purslow and the general feeling was that he needed to go.

Thats modern football. The players are assets, assets have to be protected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

the players don't have to come out and say anything. they said enough, maybe too much, under rafa's time here. for me it has all ended up very similar to houlliers reign. he took us so far and reached a ceiling. we need a fresh change to break through that ceiling

SlickRic wrote: »
    oh, i didn't realise 'The Oracle' Jamie Redknapp said so.

well then...

It doesn't change the fact he is good mates with Gerrard. He said so himself. Whether or not he's a donut is irrelevant.

If you believe Gerrard is disappointed to see the back of Benitez, your deluding yourself.

Not a single comment wishing him well or thanking him. Says it all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

evil_seed wrote: »
    the players don't have to come out and say anything. they said enough, maybe too much, under rafa's time here. for me it has all ended up very similar to houlliers reign. he took us so far and reached a ceiling. we need a fresh change to break through that ceiling

Houllier didn't leave and go to the reigning European Champions and title holders of the third biggest league in Europe.

This simple fact cannot be spun.

We have been done.

Lets not forget, after all his fighting for control, Benitez is now overseen by four independently operating directors of football at Inter.

He was fourth choice behind Hiddink, Capello and Guardiola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

My basic view is that Liverpool need to appoint someone who can keep the Gerrard and Torres on board.

i would have thought that they should appoint someone who can manage a football team who is able to work on a small budget, while getting the best out of his squad.

i dont think you should be appointing managers just to keep a player who is in his 30's, who have maybe 3 good years left and another player who will more than likely leave next summer anyway

• Advertisement

He was fourth choice behind Hiddink, Capello and Guardiola.

yeah.

what a sh*t list of managers to be preferred to Rafa.

bar Ferguson and Mourinho, you've pretty much listed the absolute elite of football management right now.

spockety wrote: »
    Houllier didn't leave and go to the reigning European Champions and title holders of the third biggest league in Europe.

This simple fact cannot be spun.

We have been done.

Where Benitez has gone is a pointless and irrelevant debate.

Whether he was doing a good job/was likely to do a good job next season is a more relevant debate. Whether he was the best man for the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

i would have thought that they should appoint someone who can manage a football team who is able to work on a small budget, while getting the best out of his squad.

i dont think you should be appointing managers just to keep a player who is in his 30's, who have maybe 3 good years left and another player who will more than likely leave next summer anyway

You really underestimate the value of Gerrard & Torres to Liverpool Football Club.

They are fans favourites, they sell shirts, they are International players of an extremely high calibre. Gerrard is the club captain and talisman, Torres is our top goal scorer, and one of the best in the world.

Their influence reaches far deeper than that nonchalant rubbish you just spouted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The official web site are running with a "Media Watch" story on Hodgson being appointed next boss. From what I can see over the years they are usually pretty selective about which media stories they reproduce.

This one is gracing the front page of the web site as one of the leading stories.

Where Benitez has gone is a pointless and irrelevant debate.

Whether he was doing a good job/was likely to do a good job next season is a more relevant debate. Whether he was the best man for the job?

But it does show how highly rated he is elsewhere compared to how badly treated he was at Liverpool.

Maybe it shows that Liverpool were wrong.

The official web site are running with a "Media Watch" story on Hodgson being appointed next boss. From what I can see over the years they are usually pretty selective about which media stories they reproduce.

This one is gracing the front page of the web site as one of the leading stories.

*Rushes off to Betfair.*

They often have mad stories in that section to be fair (often posted by SOTS as proof something is afoot because it's on the main site)

They often have mad stories in that section to be fair (often posted by SOTS as proof something is afoot because it's on the main site)

*Backs away from Betfair.*

Excuse my ignorance but what does SOTS mean? I'm one apparently.

There are three sources worth considering when talking about Liverpool.

The Liverpool Daily Post.

Tony Barrett in The Times. Formerly of the above.

David Maddock in The Daily Mirror.

Trust me, years and years of wading through speculation has taught me this.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    But it does show how highly rated he is elsewhere compared to how badly treated he was at Liverpool.

Maybe it shows that Liverpool were wrong.

To be honest I thought they were wrong to get rid of him. However, reading between the lines since his departure its obvious that senior players were unhappy with him. Your on a hiding to nothing from then on.

However, reading between the lines since his departure its obvious that senior players were unhappy with him.

excuse my ignorance, maybe I'm stupid.

but what proof is there that this is the case?

what lines are you reading between?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

You really underestimate the value of Gerrard & Torres to Lierpool Football Club.

They are fans favourites, they sell shirts, they are International players of an extremely high calibre. Gerrard is the club captain and talisman, Torres is our top goal scorer, and one of the best in the world.

Their influence reaches far deeper than that nonchalant rubbish you just spouted.

not in the slightest

i just dont think it is worth appointing a manager purely to keep two players happy.

like it or not, I dont think any manager will be able to keep torres happy unless trophies are being won. thats how you keep them, give them silverware.

you think that if daglish is appointed and finishes 8th, that torres would stay?

gerrard is club captain, true, but he has around 3 years at the top left. should you jeopardise the next few years at the club just to keep him happy?

SlickRic wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance, maybe I'm stupid.

but what proof is there that this is the case?

what lines are you reading between?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/How-the-power-of-top-Liverpool-players-Steven-Gerrard-Fernando-Torres-and-Jamie-Carragher-got-rid-of-Rafa-Benitez-article446529.html

Maddock is a little tabloid but pretty reliable. He had Benitez sacking first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Any news/update in our potential Saudi Saviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

not in the slightest

i just dont think it is worth appointing a manager purely to keep two players happy.

like it or not, I dont think any manager will be able to keep torres happy unless trophies are being won. thats how you keep them, give them silverware.

you think that if daglish is appointed and finishes 8th, that torres would stay?

gerrard is club captain, true, but he has around 3 years at the top left. should you jeopardise the next few years at the club just to keep him happy?

You may have misread my post. Changing manager to 'keep them happy' does far far more than merely keep the two of them happy. Thats the point I was making.

While yes, they may or may not have stated they may wish to leave if there is no managerial change, doing everything within your power to keep Liverpools best players, and fans favourites is paramount.

The effect that allowing Gerrard & Torres to leave would be monumental, with far reaching consequences, even from a financial point of view, and the resale value of the club.

As I said, it goes far deeper than merely keeping them happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I love this new image.

27806124127930961211120.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You may have misread my post. Changing manager to 'keep them happy' does far far more than merely keep the two of them happy. Thats the point I was making.

While yes, they may or may not have stated they may wish to leave if there is no managerial change, doing everything within your power to keep Liverpools best players, and fans favourites is paramount.

The effect that allowing Gerrard & Torres to leave would be monumental, with far reaching consequences, even from a financial point of view, and the resale value of the club.

As I said, it goes far deeper than merely keeping them happy.

Fan favourites means nowt, if it did then Rafa would still be manager as I reckon if supporters were given a straight choice at the end of the season of keeping Rafa or keeping Gerrard, then I reckon Rafa would have won it quite handily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/liverpool-specials/next-permanent-manager

Bookies have it down as a two-horse race with Woy and King Kenny now.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Fan favourites means nowt, if it did then Rafa would still be manager as I reckon if supporters were given a straight choice at the end of the season of keeping Rafa or keeping Gerrard, then I reckon Rafa would have won it quite handily.

I agree completely. As I've said, star players are more important these days than managers.

mate, there are so many proven lies and half-truths from that article it's not worth going through them all.

i was almost going to stop reading once he cited Ballague in the column.

then when he said Rafa 'forced Xabi Alonso out'.

then when he said Glen Johnson was in no way a success.

then when he mentioned the '100 players Rafa had signed'.

i'd be forced to take that entire article, and his opinion, with a giant grain of salt thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement