Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Daithi, do i have to go and get quotes from Torres, Reina, Kuyt, Gerrard and Carragher saying how desperate they were to win the Europa League to try and end the season wit some silverware? That's why they played. Any alterior motive you're trying to put across in relation to Rafa wanting to build up his CV is laughable. The jobs he's turned down in the last 3 years and ease with which he walked into the Inter job prove beyond doubt his reputation around Europe is excellent and was in no danger of deteriorating over a bad season.

Rafa is a great manager

Rafa is a shíte manager

And around we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rafa is a great manager

Rafa is a shíte manager

And around we go.

he's a good manager

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

event wrote: »
    he's a good manager

:)

very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rafa is a great manager

Rafa is a shíte manager

And around we go.

Well at least he was a manager.

At the moment we're stuck in a limbo land of Possibilty Managers which means everything is up in the air.

I wonder if the Yanks are delaying naming a manger a bit so that when one is finally named people will simply go "well at least any manager is better than no manager"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

How long does it go lads before the lack of manager becomes caue for concern?

I wonder if the Yanks are delaying naming a manger a bit so that when one is finally named people will simply go "well at least any manager is better than no manager"

It's been less than a week

flahavaj wrote: »

pre-season. Have to have someone in by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Daithi, do i have to go and get quotes from Torres, Reina, Kuyt, Gerrard and Carragher saying how desperate they were to win the Europa League to try and end the season wit some silverware? That's why they played. Any alterior motive you're trying to put across in relation to Rafa wanting to build up his CV is laughable. The jobs he's turned down in the last 3 years and ease with which he walked into the Inter job prove beyond doubt his reputation around Europe is excellent and was in no danger of deteriorating over a bad season.

You dont have to find quotes al, i can do that myself.

Every opinion i gave was exactly that, my opinion. And i expressed it as such. Interestingly, i think the reasons you give for rafa walking into any job could easily be applied to gerrard.

flahavaj wrote: »

Personally, I'd be suprised if a new manager was appointed by G & H when they plan on selling the club this year.

I can see us going into next season with a caretaker boss tbh.

• Advertisement

It's been less than a week

First competitive game is in seven weeks.

Premier League fixtures are out next week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The future isn't all bad. If we keep Gerrard and Torres. Get Aquilani playing well, as he did at times, we have a decent core of players. Agger, Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Maxi Rodriguez, Benayoun, Kuyt and even Lucas are good players.

Mascherano, more importantly his wife, wants to leave. He should generate funds. Insua is wanted by Fiorentina, why I'm not sure. Add a few good players. Bring Martin Kelly, Pacheco and Ayala into the picture. Get us playing free flowing attacking football. We'll do well. I've no doubt.

More than anything I want to see us playing good positive football. 11 years of defensively minded stuff has worn me thin.

Did that defensive 4-1 drubbing of United wear you thin?

Or how about the defensive match where our defensive defense let in 3 against AC Milan? ;P

First competitive game is in seven weeks.

Premier League fixtures are out next week.

As long as they're in before pre-season training starts, i'll be happy.

It's not as if they'll be able to buy players anyway

As long as they're in before pre-season training starts, i'll be happy.

It's not as if they'll be able to buy players anyway

Suppose you're right on them not being able to but players but I'd be more concerned about them being in place to say no to any potential sales.

Just don't like the feeling of there being no one at the helm.

Suppose you're right on them not being able to but players but I'd be more concerned about them being in place to say no to any potential sales.

With the ones people will be worried about - Torres, Gerrard, Masch - i can't imagine anyone being brought in who'd have the power to veto an offer the board accept.

I doubt any manager will have much of a say tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

They do contain some boring quotes alright.

:rolleyes:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Phil Thompson interview on Newstalk now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Phil Thompson interview on Newstalk now...

Can I guess?

"It was time for a change"; "Must hold onto Gerrard & Torres"; "Praise for Roy and what he has accomplished"; "Praise for King Kenny"

This thread has made me so cynical.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

101001 wrote: »
    whats with the selective list? Not exactly the real picture of roy. ill throw in the other side. im by no means hailing him as the second coming... just dont think your representation is fair

Halmstads

* Swedish football champions (2): 1976, 1979
    * Allsvenskan (2): 1976, 1979

Malmö FF

* Swedish football champions (2): 1986, 1988
    * Allsvenskan (4): 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989
    * Svenska Cupen (2): 1985–86, 1988–89

Copenhagen

* Danish Superliga (1): 2000–01
    * Danish Super Cup (1): 2001

Fulham

* LMA Manager of the Year (1): 2010

In summary, Roy Hodgson delivered two trophies in a weaker league, 10 years ago previously winning trophies in the swedish league over 20 years ago.

• Advertisement

Can I guess?

"It was time for a change"; "Must hold onto Gerrard & Torres"; "Praise for Roy and what he has accomplished"; "Praise for King Kenny"

This thread has made me so cynical.....

Sort of. He's been "led to believe" the board was left with no option over Rafa because of rumblings of discontent among senior players.

He was certainly championing the cause of King Kenny as a short-term appointment but wasn't really able to give substantial reasons as to why he thought this was a good idea; although he did add that KK has "a big dish on his house so he can watch football from Argentina" - apparently this was meant to indicate that his (KK's) finger is still on the pulse of world football, or something.

He referred to himself in the third person twice when asked if he had been approached or was he interested in the job himself before ranting quite nicely for a couple of minutes about the owners - apparently, he gave good radio on this particular issue last week on an 'Off The Ball' live special

led to believe=senior sources=same **** we've been hearing for months. our clubs has more leaks than the leakiest of ships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

In summary, Roy Hodgson delivered two trophies in a weaker league, 10 years ago previously winning trophies in the swedish league over 20 years ago.

Hmmmm... Im not sure what you're hoping to achieve but I am aware of his record most people are. But thanks for the summary, of a summary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Has everyone seen the new shirts being released?
    LFC_alternative_strip_by_kitster29.jpg

Choice of the Save Liverpool badges or SOS ones for the sleeves.

t KK has "a big dish on his house so he can watch football from Argentina" - apparently this was meant to indicate that his (KK's) finger is still on the pulse of world football, or something.

hahahaha thats brilliant! finger on the pulse of modernity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

He's been "led to believe" the board was left with no option over Rafa because of rumblings of discontent among senior players.

So can we all now admit that senior players were largely responsible for Rafa's sacking.

Phil Thompson, David Maddock and Tony Barrett all suggest this. They all have more info than anyone else in the media as to what was going on inside the club.

So those people who accused me of talking crap earlier can begin eating humble pie perhaps?;)

So can we all now admit that senior players were largely responsible for Rafa's sacking.

Phil Thompson, David Maddock and Tony Barrett all suggest this. They all have more info than anyone else in the media as to what was going on inside the club.

So those people who accused me of talking crap earlier can begin eating humble pie perhaps?;)

No, it just means this is what Thompson has been "led to believe". He is not the oracle.

please stop talking sh1te....

Whats that you say Bastard? Talking ****e am I. I don't think so lad.

No, it just means this is what Thompson has been "led to believe". He is not the oracle.

And you are? You know otherwise. I seriously doubt it. I seriously doubt you know more than Jamie Redknapp, Phil Thompson, Tony Barrett or David Maddock.

Regardless of whether their twats or not. John McCririck is a twat, still knows more about horse racing than you.

• Advertisement

unless i'm mistaken, tony barrett didn't report rafa had lost the dressing room. maddock did, but he's a fool and seems more interested in being a puppet for 'senior sources'.

Whats that you say Bastard? Talking ****e am I. I don't think so lad.

Relax brother... no empirical evidence has been put forward. Id wait till you have actual tangible evidence before you go gloating. Talking sh1te is a pundits bread and butter, thats what they are supposed to do. They all sing from the same hymn sheet (for the most part)

And you are? You know otherwise. I seriously doubt it. I seriously doubt you know more than Jamie Redknapp, Phil Thompson, Tony Barrett or David Maddock.

Regardless of whether their twats or not. John McCririck is a twat, still knows more about horse racing than you.

I did not suggest that I have any correct answers or solutions.

Thompson was also not claiming to have exclusives or solutions himself. He was offering opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Melion wrote: »
    Has everyone seen the new shirts being released?
    LFC_alternative_strip_by_kitster29.jpg

Choice of the Save Liverpool badges or SOS ones for the sleeves.

That's actually a nice looking design but would have preferred it not to have an eternal flame on it.

Am unsure about a take of the new sponsor's logo being used in any campaign against the owners. Quite a clever spin on the name and design, but maybe going against the sponsors is a battle that does not need to be started yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

unless i'm mistaken, tony barrett didn't report rafa had lost the dressing room. maddock did, but he's a fool and seems nope interested in being a puppet for 'senior sources'.
    Tony Barrett: The importance of the events that took place on that evening should not be understated. Liverpool were beaten 3-1 at home by Aston Villa and their obvious shortcomings as a team were laid bare. That defeat in itself was damaging to Benítez because it indicated that he would not be presiding over a second successive title challenge. Words, though, rather than actions had the biggest impact.

In his post-match press conference, Benítez attempted to protect Lucas Leiva, who had scored an own goal and is so often a lightning rod for criticism, but the Spaniard’s defence of one player was to land him in hot water with several others.

“It is up to the senior players to take responsibility,” Benítez said in a very public admonishment that brought about a sudden deterioration in his relationship with a section of the dressing room.

The jungle drums that beat incessantly on Merseyside had suggested that Torres and Gerrard would leave if Benítez remained but the departure of the manager does not guarantee their loyalty.

Sounds as if your buddy Barrett is also aware of a deterioration of relations between Benitez and the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Well said stumpy. Don't take any crap from these guys. They haven't a clue what's going on at the club, they're the kings of wishful thinking. Particularly that poor, deluded Alan guy - he lives in an alternative reality, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

unless i'm mistaken, tony barrett didn't report rafa had lost the dressing room. maddock did, but he's a fool and seems more interested in being a puppet for 'senior sources'.

Of course.

“It is up to the senior players to take responsibility,” Benítez said in a very public admonishment that brought about a sudden deterioration in his relationship with a section of the dressing room.

Tony Barrett. While I have offered a number of clues (Maddock, Barrett, Redknapp) as to why I believe the reason we lost 19 matches last season was because senior players had lost faith with Rafa, I've been accused of talking ****e etc from a few people. Yet they have offered no proof otherwise.

Given Benitez got the sack, perhaps one of the reasons was because players gave him a vote of no confidence.

Given Gerrard, Carragher and Torres have said nothing regarding his sacking, perhaps this suggests further evidence of unhappiness.

At least give my assertion some credibility instead of accusing me of talking ****e.

Given Gerrard, Carragher and Torres have said nothing regarding his sacking, perhaps this suggests further evidence of unhappiness.

I dont think its a appropriate time for them to comment.... the last thing they need right now is to be embroiled in this liverpool cluster****. They have more important things to be doing. Winning world cups for one

Im surprised reina said anything TBH he must really love rafa... and not in a platonic way ;)

101001 wrote: »
    Relax brother... no empirical evidence has been put forward. Id wait till you have actual tangible evidence before you go gloating. Talking sh1te is a pundits bread and butter, thats what they are supposed to do. They all sing from the same hymn sheet (for the most part)

I don't take kindly to accusations of talking ****e, I'm as well informed as most.

I also don't take kindly to strangers but thats a different story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Stumpy, curious to know who you want as next manager?

• Advertisement

Stumpy, curious to know who you want as next manager?

Pep Guardiola

But as it seems to be a choice between Hodgson and Dalglish. I want Dalglish. Purely in the hope we could play positive attacking football.

Pep Guardiola

But as it seems to be a choice between Hodgson and Dalglish. I want Dalglish. Purely in the hope we could play positive attacking football.

Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

It seems strange to me as well that a club would pay so much money to get rid of a manager that had the backing of the senior players, especially considering the financial situation the club is in.

Banter Joe wrote: »
    It seems strange to me as well that a club would pay so much money to get rid of a manager that had the backing of the senior players, especially considering the financial situation the club is in.
    They tried to get rid of him before when he clearly had their backing. They genuinely don't give a ****.

Nail on the head Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

strange indeed Joe, for all of us right thinking people, but thats the state the club is in. Nothing surprises me anymore. :(

Oh dear.

Who would you choose Chucky out of interest?

Who would you choose Chucky out of interest?

Rafa. ;)

Outside of that, Hodgson from the favourites. I'd rather win games then play attacking football. Kenny would be to far out of his depth.

Can I ask why Reina and Masch aren't considered senior players? I mean Reina has been highly tipped as our next captain so it pretty strange when I see the mention of senior players wanting rafa out I only see Carragher, Gerrard and Torres mentioned. Strange that...

I think Hodgson would be a very sensible choice and perhaps the logical one. His brand of football would be very cautious and defensive. But he has proven himself in the last year as a calming influence and worked wonders at Inter.

Dalglish has been away from the game 10 years but by all accounts he is still a keen student of the game and may not be as out of touch as most believe.

He has achieved success in the past Hodgson could only dream about. His teams play a high tempo attacking brand of football. The potential for success is balanced against the risk of failure. I'd take the chance. We've had dull defensive football for 11 years, lets change things up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement