Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Can I ask why Reina and Masch aren't considered senior players? I mean Reina has been highly tipped as our next captain so it pretty strange when I see the mention of senior players wanting rafa out I only see Carragher, Gerrard and Torres mentioned. Strange that...
    I would have thought that three senior players wanting their manager out is more than enough to warrant the term "dressing room unrest" to be used. Especially if two of them are probably the two biggest leaders at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Pighead wrote: »
    I would have thought that three senior players wanting their manager out is more than enough to warrant the term "dressing room unrest" to be used. Especially if two of them are probably the two biggest leaders at the club.

Add to that Babel, Aquilani, Benayoun, Riera, Degen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

You have no idea how happy it would make me if Dalglish returned and we did well with him as manager. The return of the king for sure. Would be fairytale ending land, I grew up watching him play, he was one of my football idols, and Id be happy to be proved wrong. There are just too many imponderables to iron out though. It could all backfire really badly, as these prodigal son type returns often do.

Dr Galen wrote: »
    You have no idea how happy it would make me if Dalglish returned and we did well with him as manager. The return of the king for sure. Would be fairytale ending land, I grew up watching him play, he was one of my football idols, and Id be happy to be proved wrong. There are just too many imponderables to iron out though. It could all backfire really badly, as these prodigal son type returns often do.

Its worth the risk though. Its gotta be worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i love how silence=wanting him out. Plus its well known that Reina and Torres and best mates, i find it unlikely one hates Rafa and the other loves him. Especially when the one who supposedly hates him has already said this season that Rafa was the man to lead Liverpool and shouldn't get the bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

see thats heart ruling head kinda talk. The club is ****ed enough without taking too many unnecessary gambles. Say he comes in, and is awful, we're set back by another season. Never mind Gerrard and Torres leaving, we could find ourselves in a situation where other less pivotal first team players want to go, e.g Agger, Johnson etc leaving not just 2 holes but several. All to be filled by yet another new manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I would have two, some quotes from said players would be lovely. I also find it strange how Torres would have been considered one of the senior players to take it personal, considering he didn't play much last season but when he did he was excellent. Still though, I'm sure some quotes will be provided soon enough. :pac:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i love how silence=wanting him out. Plus its well known that Reina and Torres and best mates, i find it unlikely one hates Rafa and the other loves him. Especially when the one who supposedly hates him has already said this season that Rafa was the man to lead Liverpool and shouldn't get the bullet.
    What players do you think that Tony Barrett is talking about then when he says Rafa lost sections of the dressing room?

i love how silence=wanting him out. Plus its well known that Reina and Torres and best mates, i find it unlikely one hates Rafa and the other loves him.

Sorry Mr Alan but thats the most ridiculous argument I've read yet.

When you decide to remove your head from the sand I'm sure things will make a little more sense.

• Advertisement

What players do you think that Tony Barrett is talking about then when he says Rafa lost sections of the dressing room?
    Tony Barrett isn't right about everything, he's better than most, but not right about everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

So bezzy mates can't disagree?

Tony Barrett isn't right about everything, he's better than most, but not right about everything.

Why do you think Rafa was shown the door?

Why do you think Rafa was shown the door?
    Because the americans weren't planning on putting any money into the team with it up for sale and were probably open to the idea of selling a couple of players. Rafa wouldn't have taken this lying down so they parted ways by 'mutual consent' imo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Because the americans weren't planning on putting any money into the team with it up for sale and were probably open to the idea of selling a couple of players. Rafa wouldn't have taken this lying down so they parted ways by 'mutual consent' imo

From what I've read Rafa was willing to offload players, Gerrard included, and reinvest in the squad. The owners weren't willing to allow him spend any more money given the Keane and Aquilani debacle.

• Advertisement

what fine journalistic publication did you read that in?

Ah here, c'mon! You have constantly been bigging Barrett up as the only credible source for Liverpool related news. You can't pick and choose whats credible and what's not depending on how nice he's being to the club. He's either credible or he isn't.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59972414&postcount=16027
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65707976&postcount=26555

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Can I ask why Reina and Masch aren't considered senior players? I mean Reina has been highly tipped as our next captain so it pretty strange when I see the mention of senior players wanting rafa out I only see Carragher, Gerrard and Torres mentioned. Strange that...

It's really quite simple. Reina and Masch have spoken out in support of Rafa, therefore they are not 'senior players. Only the opinions of players who have not yet said anything count.

where is those posts did i say he's right about everything? you can find posts where i've said he's the most credible but not infallible if you bother trying, but that'd be too much effort or not have the desired effect of cheap thanks whoring you're so fond of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Dub13 wrote: »

Nice design on the shirt...but i don't like the way the new sponsors are being attacked on the shirt....

i wonder who the shirt sales money will go to ?

• Advertisement

where is those posts did i say he's right about everything? you can find posts where i've said he's the most credible but not infallible if you bother trying, but that'd be too much effort or not have the desired cheap thanks whoring you're so fond of i'm guessing.
    Cheap thanks whoring? Harsh! Listen Al, this is very simple and if you look at it logically it's glaringly obvious that you you are picking and choosing what to believe re Tony Barrett.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64224575&postcount=17604

Why do you believe the above Tony Barrett piece so easily yet are reluctant to believe him when he says their was unrest in the dressing room.

If I wanted to I could quote a hundred posts from you linking to a Barrett article and taking what he says as gospel. Yet the very first time he says something you don't like he turns into "Tony Barrett isn't right about everything, he's better than most, but not right about everything."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just a bad, bad idea.

• Using the name of the sponsors to protest, wtf?
    • Copying the club jersey
    Add it to the flag burnings, self destruction ftl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

And you are? You know otherwise. I seriously doubt it. I seriously doubt you know more than Jamie Redknapp, Phil Thompson, Tony Barrett or David Maddock.

Regardless of whether their twats or not. John McCririck is a twat, still knows more about horse racing than you.

Oh dear.

If I thank Pigheads post what does that make me, given that he's a whore?:pac:

again pighead, i have said in the past that Tony is not right about everything, but right about most things. reason i'd believe that here is simple. what he's reporting goes against everything out of the mouths of the players involved and its not an exclusive story from him, simply falling into line with wat's been reported elsewhere.

Oh dear.

He is a good mate of Steven Gerrard. That is a fact. I'm sure they take time out from talking about Jamie's suits to chat about football matters.

He is a good mate of Steven Gerrard. That is a fact. I'm sure they take time out from talking about Jamie's suits to chat about football matters.
    He also specifically said, he wasn't basing it on anything Steven or any of the players had told him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Jesus Alan if Barrett claimed that things were grand between rafa and players you'd be quoting it on yet when his comments don't concur with yours he's talking nonsense.
    I would say it's fairly obvious rafa wasn't getting on with certain players, this has been hinted by journalists Thompson and Jamie redknapp .
    I know people will say WTF do they know but you can be sure they no more than any of us on here.
    I'm shocked by the lack of well wish comments by current players which would suggest all was not well even if they wernt getting on it would have been nice to see some players come out and wish him all the best after all he did for the club in 6 years

The main reason I believe Rafa had lost certain sections of the dressing room is the 19 losses. The turgid displays. The rumours circulating in the press. The fact he's sacked. The fact the captain and vice captain have remained silent.

The body language of Gerrard and Torres.

The reason you believe he didn't lose the dressing room is because you don't want to believe it and prefer to live with your head in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

No thanks. Ill boyctt the offical shirt this year despite the away one being the first one ive liked in years but will not buy this mainly because of SOS involvement but also the play on standard and chartards logo is just wrong. Like it or not they are a partner of the club and will be providing funds after H&J are gone and at some point we will be looking for a new sponsor, treating our current sponsors like this will hardly strengthen our negotiating hand at that time. Finally i just dont like it the big liver bird on the front makes it look like those horrible polo shirts they have being trying to sell off cheap in the club shop for last 3 years

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Just a bad, bad idea.

• Using the name of the sponsors to protest, wtf?
    • Copying the club jersey
    Add it to the flag burnings, self destruction ftl.

Well I think its a great idea.
    poolboy wrote: »
    No thanks. Ill boyctt the offical shirt this year despite the away one being the first one ive liked in years but will not buy this mainly because of SOS involvement but also the play on standard and chartards logo is just wrong. Like it or not they are a partner of the club and will be providing funds after H&J are gone and at some point we will be looking for a new sponsor, treating our current sponsors like this will hardly strengthen our negotiating hand at that time. Finally i just dont like it the big liver bird on the front makes it look like those horrible polo shirts they have being trying to sell off cheap in the club shop for last 3 years

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

flahavaj wrote: »

A pig's pimp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

flahavaj wrote: »

Bastian Schweinsteiger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Out of interest, was this posted earlier? Not reading back over everything....
    12:18

Paul Dalglish:
    No, he knows me better than that. All joking aside, I just think that hopefully he does get it because I know how much he wants it. To be honest with you it would be an unbelievable story for my dad to be going back. Some people say, well what happens if it doesn't work. He's been out of the game for 10 years. My question is, what if it does work? What person loves Liverpool more than my dad? Who would Liverpool fans love to see have success more than my dad. Nothing could make my family more proud. I'd love to see it happen.
    Wednesday June 9, 2010 12:18 Paul Dalglish
    12:20

Paul Dalglish:
    To go back to the assistant question, they already have Sammy Lee, who is a great coach and very passionate about Liverpool. He's the best man for that job. I don't think they'd sleep at night until they would be successful. And I'm very happy here in the sunshine. I like being part of a great journey here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No mention on here about the planned protest marches on July 4th. Should be quite a few people turning up from different fansites, different supporters groups etc.

Liverpool will continue their pursuit of Roy Hodgson despite having been made aware of Kenny Dalglish’s willingness to take over as manager.

Hodgson remains the club’s prime target to succeed Rafael Benítez, who has agreed the terms of a three-year contract to become the coach of Inter Milan, the reigning European champions. However, sources insist that Liverpool have not yet made a formal approach to Fulham as they continue to weigh up the merits of a number of contenders.

The possibility of Dalglish being considered for the role has not been ruled out but he would have to convince the board that he still has what it takes to hold down one of the toughest jobs in English football after a decade out of management.

The claims of Hodgson are considered to be stronger by the Anfield hierarchy, with Christian Purslow, the managing director, particularly impressed by the Fulham manager’s ability to bring stability to clubs and also his statesman-like demeanour, qualities that Purslow feels could be crucial to Liverpool at this juncture.

Hodgson is understood to be keen to embrace the challenge of revitalising a Liverpool team who finished seventh in the Barclays Premier League last season, 23 points behind Chelsea, the champions, but Fulham remain reluctant to part company with the 62-year-old after he guided them to the Europa League final last month.

Liverpool’s determination to take him to Anfield could be crucial, however, and despite their financial difficulties, they would be willing to pay the £2.5 million necessary to trigger the release clause in Hodgson’s contract.

Albert Riera performed a surprise about-turn last night and asked to stay at Liverpool after the departure of Benítez as manager. The winger had a running battle with Benítez last season because he felt that he should have been playing more regularly.

Riera described Benítez’s regime as a “sinking ship” in March, but was forced to backtrack when a proposed move to Spartak Moscow collapsed because of his wage demands. “This was a difficult year for me and for Liverpool,” he said. “Sincerely, if I can, I would like to remain at Liverpool because this club is a top one.”

Riera added that he would also consider a return to Bordeaux, where he played for two years from 2003. “Concerning Bordeaux, I very much would like to return there because I have the feeling that I did not give all in my first time there,” he said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article7147124.ece

Liverpool's board will meet on Friday to agree a formal approach for Roy Hodgson.

The club will press on with their intention to ask for permission to speak to the Fulham boss, despite their own king-maker, Kenny Dalglish, admitting he would be prepared to do the vacant manager's job at Anfield.

The Kop legend has spent the past two days submerged in meetings with MD Christian Purslow to decide on a short-list of candidates to present to the board.

The pair met for six hours on Monday to discuss the best possible successor to Rafa Benitez, who was sacked last week, and considered a host of names, including Hodgson, Louis Van Gaal, Guus Hiddink, Martin O'Neill, Harry Redknapp and Mark Hughes.

And Dalglish has given his backing to his respected friend Hodgson, after enquiries ruled out the two other front-runners Van Gaal and Hiddink.

Liverpool are in no rush to appoint a replacement for Benitez, who is finally due to be unveiled as the new Inter Milan manager, following days of haggling over the role.

The board tasked Dalglish and Purslow to come up with a short-list of candidates, to allow an approach to be made to the front-runner after the formality of a vote.

The meeting will be held before the weekend, and if the club's American owners agree, Liverpool are then expected to contact Fulham for permission to hold discussions with Hodgson, who has flown to South Africa to be part of the BBC's World Cup team.

That process could take a couple of weeks, but the Merseyside club are confident they will be able to unveil their new manager before the end of the month.

Dalglish has made clear his willingness to take on the role on a permanent basis if it would help the club, but only if Liverpool can't secure the services of his top recommendation.

If Hodgson decides to stay at Fulham and Van Gaal and Hiddink remain reluctant to move to England, then he would offer to step in to fill the post during a difficult period in Anfield history.

It is more likely though, that he will be offered another role at the club working with Hodgson, should he be appointed, given the relationship the pair have.

Dalglish and Purslow considered the merits of O'Neill, who has his backers on the Reds board, but he is a deeply unpopular figure with the Liverpool fans, who have already made clear their unease at his link with the vacant position.

Hughes too, had to be discounted because of his life-long connections with Manchester United, and the fact that he also played for Everton where he remains popular - two associations that would be complete anathema to the Kop faithful.

Hodgson is a far less controversial figure who has won admirers for his tactical triumph in steering tiny Fulham to a UEFA Cup final, and his vast European experience aligned to his diplomatic skills appeals to the Liverpool board.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-board-want-Roy-Hodgson-NOT-Kenny-Dalglish-to-replace-sacked-Rafa-Benitez-Exclusive-article454649.html

Kess73 wrote: »
    No mention on here about the planned protest marches on July 4th. Should be quite a few people turning up from different fansites, different supporters groups etc.

I am trying to make it over,a load of IK lads are going. will be in the city the week before on a stag so not sure if I can make it.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »

Fans independence day? The day the rattle and rawk meet. Should be fun.

Liverpool's board will meet on Friday to agree a formal approach for Roy Hodgson.

The club will press on with their intention to ask for permission to speak to the Fulham boss, despite their own king-maker, Kenny Dalglish, admitting he would be prepared to do the vacant manager's job at Anfield.

The Kop legend has spent the past two days submerged in meetings with MD Christian Purslow to decide on a short-list of candidates to present to the board.

The pair met for six hours on Monday to discuss the best possible successor to Rafa Benitez, who was sacked last week, and considered a host of names, including Hodgson, Louis Van Gaal, Guus Hiddink, Martin O'Neill, Harry Redknapp and Mark Hughes.

And Dalglish has given his backing to his respected friend Hodgson, after enquiries ruled out the two other front-runners Van Gaal and Hiddink.

Liverpool are in no rush to appoint a replacement for Benitez, who is finally due to be unveiled as the new Inter Milan manager, following days of haggling over the role.

The board tasked Dalglish and Purslow to come up with a short-list of candidates, to allow an approach to be made to the front-runner after the formality of a vote.

The meeting will be held before the weekend, and if the club's American owners agree, Liverpool are then expected to contact Fulham for permission to hold discussions with Hodgson, who has flown to South Africa to be part of the BBC's World Cup team.

That process could take a couple of weeks, but the Merseyside club are confident they will be able to unveil their new manager before the end of the month.

Dalglish has made clear his willingness to take on the role on a permanent basis if it would help the club, but only if Liverpool can't secure the services of his top recommendation.

If Hodgson decides to stay at Fulham and Van Gaal and Hiddink remain reluctant to move to England, then he would offer to step in to fill the post during a difficult period in Anfield history.

It is more likely though, that he will be offered another role at the club working with Hodgson, should he be appointed, given the relationship the pair have.

Dalglish and Purslow considered the merits of O'Neill, who has his backers on the Reds board, but he is a deeply unpopular figure with the Liverpool fans, who have already made clear their unease at his link with the vacant position.

Hughes too, had to be discounted because of his life-long connections with Manchester United, and the fact that he also played for Everton where he remains popular - two associations that would be complete anathema to the Kop faithful.

Hodgson is a far less controversial figure who has won admirers for his tactical triumph in steering tiny Fulham to a UEFA Cup final, and his vast European experience aligned to his diplomatic skills appeals to the Liverpool board.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-board-want-Roy-Hodgson-NOT-Kenny-Dalglish-to-replace-sacked-Rafa-Benitez-Exclusive-article454649.html

LIVERPOOL FANS 1 - NEWSPAPERS 0

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Atleast the board are looking at Hodgson over Kenny and MON, not totally ienpt at least.

It is the sensible option no doubt. Appoininting Roy. He'll get my full support, which I'm sure he'll be pleased about.

Atleast the board are looking at Hodgson over Kenny and MON, not totally ienpt at least.

Less troublesome probably, from their POV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

So according to those reports Van Gaal and Hiddink both declined and the job is Roy's if he wants it and if he doesn't Dalglish will step in.

The major plus from those reports is that it appears that if Roy comes it doesnt look like Kenny will move on - I'd imagine Kenny would retain his current role on the youth side of things and club ambassador.

Looks like a bullet dodged on the MON front at least.

• Advertisement

Looks like a bullet dodged on the MON front at least.

But O'Neil is the best young 58 year old manager around.....:)

O'Neil is the Lee Trundle of football management.

On the whole Rafa loosing the dressing room thing, I'd don't really buy it as a general theory.

Does it mean that Rafa is no looking best buds with everyone in the dressing room? What does it even mean?

Rafa's hands-off/professional [delete as you feel appropriate] approach to players would mean that I doubt it would make all that much of a difference whether he lost them or not.

Unless people are suggesting that the players who Rafa lost wouldn't be giving 100% in the games which would be down more to the players than Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

wow, this thread really has become a clusterfúck.

given the position we're in, Hodgson is the sensible option really; no getting away from it.

i'd love Pellegrini or Hitzfeld, but they're probably not realistic.

On the whole Rafa loosing the dressing room thing, I'd don't really buy it as a general theory.

Does it mean that Rafa is no looking best buds with everyone in the dressing room? What does it even mean?

Rafa's hands-off/professional [delete as you feel appropriate] approach to players would mean that I doubt it would make all that much of a difference whether he lost them or not.

Unless people are suggesting that the players who Rafa lost wouldn't be giving 100% in the games which would be down more to the players than Rafa.

I'd suggest when asked by Purslow whether or not he should remain they said he should go. I still think they tried hard but that extra percent you give for a manager you trust might not have been there. The second half against Chelsea at home case in point.

SlickRic wrote: »
    wow, this thread really has become a clusterfúck.

given the position we're in, Hodgson is the sensible option really; no getting away from it.

i'd love Pellegrini or Hitzfeld, but they're probably not realistic.

When the new owners come in then we can start to dream about top-level talent.

When the new owners come in.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement