Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    wow, this thread really has become a clusterfúck.

given the position we're in, Hodgson is the sensible option really; no getting away from it.

i'd love Pellegrini or Hitzfeld, but they're probably not realistic.

To be honest if the club has not at least sounded them out then there is something really wrong with the selection process.

Both would be available with no compensation being paid out to get them.

Personally I lean more towards the latter as I would see him as one of the few managers who would be a clear upgrade on Rafa, but would not be put out if Pellegrini was offered the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SlickRic wrote: »
    wow, this thread really has become a clusterfúck.

given the position we're in, Hodgson is the sensible option really; no getting away from it.

i'd love Pellegrini or Hitzfeld, but they're probably not realistic.

why do you think Pellegrini would not be realistic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Banter Joe wrote: »
    It seems strange to me as well that a club would pay so much money to get rid of a manager that had the backing of the senior players, especially considering the financial situation the club is in.

Logically, they would pay less if he didn't have the backing of senior players. They'd use it against him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Kess73 wrote: »
    To be honest if the club has not at least sounded them out then there is something really wrong with the selection process.

Personally I lean more towards the latter as I would see him as one of the few managers who would be a clear upgrade on Rafa, but would not be put out if Pellegrini was offered the role.

Not back to this again. By god you've got your idea and your running with it. Even if it is in the face of reason, logic and sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'd suggest when asked by Purslow whether or not he should remain they said he should go. I still think they tried hard but that extra percent you give for a manager you trust might not have been there. The second half against Chelsea at home case in point.

Yeah but what else would they said ???

A no actually Christian I played ****e this season

or

B yeah a new manager might freshen things up.

I wonder what sort of suggestions Purslow would had got up if he asked them for potential alternative managers and why they would feel that the named candidates were a better bet than Rafa.

I'd imagine a lot of stumped looking faces apart from Carra who'd probably spend 17 hours doing an extensive comparison of every manager currently operating in every European and South American league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

why do people think Purslow asked the players if they should get rid of Rafa? i really doubt he did. and he really shouldn't have.

Wouldnt be surprised if they weren't even considered.

Alternatively Purslow might not have felt up to bothering calling them after the undoubted laughter from Van Gaal and the whole "sorry but I've a contract with Turkey" sniggers from Hiddink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd suggest when asked by Purslow whether or not he should remain they said he should go. I still think they tried hard but that extra percent you give for a manager you trust might not have been there. The second half against Chelsea at home case in point.

I don't believe it, but if it is case it depressing to think how retarded are senior players are.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    why do people think Purslow asked the players if they should get rid of Rafa? i really doubt he did. and he really shouldn't have.

I'd be surprised if he did - I'd imagine a footballing man of his long experience would just have an inate physic sense that things weren't well in the dressing room. Probably heard some of the players complaining about something and as it wouldn't be like professional players to whinge about things he put two and two together.

I mean he is the footballing expert who seemed to think that wages are the same thing as transfer fees so there's no doubting his expertise.

I'd also suggest that Carragher and Gerrard when asked who they believe could succeed Benitez Hodgson would have been their choice. Both would want to work with an English manager.

Gerrard was very eager to work with one last time out. Curbishly. I know I know!!!

• Advertisement

was it Carragher in his book who said the whole 'managers losing the dressing room' thing is a myth perpetrated in the media and never happens? someones autobiography i've read certainly contained that sentiment.

I'd also suggest that Carragher and Gerrard when asked who they believe could succeed Benitez Hodgson would have been their choice. Both would want to work with an English manager.

Gerrard was very eager to work with one last time out. Curbishly. I know I know!!!

So no chance Gerrard leaves this summer? We'll see how that goes.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That is possibly the daftest comment I have read on this thread in days.

If Carra and Stevie expressed RH as their first choice out of everybody available then it would be the most unambitious thing they could have said nearly. If you ask any player publicly do they want to work with XYZ who is a candidate, obviously they are going to be enthusiastic about it in case it happens.

Not back to this again. By god you've got your idea and your running with it. Even if it is in the face of reason, logic and sense!

Bayviewclose/SOTS/whatever you want to call yourself, it is only flying in the face of what little logic and football knowledge you possess.

Each time today that you tried to come up with a reason why he could not be in contention for the job you made an idiot out of yourself, not a difficult task I will admit, but you seemed to be making more of an effort than normal at it with gems suggesting that he would be no good because he had not managed in England, Spain or Italy.

Gems like no German manager had ever had any success in England, Spain , or Italy.

Gems like how a man with fluent english would struggle in a non german speaking country.

Gems like how he would not be able to understand Gerrard or Carragher.

Basically you did not have a clue about the man or where he had managed or what he had won, but you were content to try and knock him as a suggestion.

Despite the fact that I stated that he was my choice as a manager, and that I thought he was valid because he is free to join any club in the summer, because he has stated in the media that either Germany or England would be his preference for the coming season, because he has a hell of a track record, and because he speaks english.

But it does not matter to you whether a person can argue their point or not, you just go back to making up stuff and throwing out your dressing room tales as fact.With the words of footballing stalwards like Jamie Redknapp to bolster your opinion, you plow in with about as much incisiveness and insight as your hero, all the time trying your best to poke at the likes of Mr Alan to get a response.

And it is a bit rich for you to say that somebody else has an idea in their head and is running with it when you have being crying about your senior players wanted Rafa out tale all day with the vigour of a three legged jack russell chasing a bitch in heat.

You would suggest it eh? Did the players tell you that temselves this time?:D

Did Gerrrard tell you about Curbishley too?:D

Did they start every tale with "Once upon a time...." because it is about as likely as you not talking total horseshyte.

Bayviewclose/SOTS/whatever you want to call yourself, it is only flying in the face of what little logic and football knowledge you possess.

Each time today that you tried to come up with a reason why he could not be in contention for the job you made an idiot out of yourself, not a difficult task I will admit, but you seemed to be making more of an effort than normal at it with gems suggesting that he would be no good because he had not managed in England, Spain or Italy.

Gems like no German manager had ever had any success in England, Spain , or Italy.

Gems like how a man with fluent english would struggle in a non german speaking country.

Gems like how he would not be able to understand Gerrard or Carragher.

Basically you did not have a clue about the man or where he had managed or what he had won, but you were content to try and knock him as a suggestion.

Despite the fact that I stated that he was my choice as a manager, and that I thought he was valid because he is free to join any club in the summer, because he has stated in the media that either Germany or England would be his preference for the coming season, because he has a hell of a track record, and because he speaks english.

But it does not matter to you whether a person can argue their point or not, you just go back to making up stuff and throwing out your dressing room tales as fact.With the words of footballing stalwards like Jamie Redknapp to bolster your opinion, you plow in with about as much incisiveness and insight as your hero, all the time trying your best to poke at the likes of Mr Alan to get a response.

And it is a bit rich for you to say that somebody else has an idea in their head and is running with it when you have being crying about your senior players wanted Rafa out tale all day with the vigour of a three legged jack russell chasing a bitch in heat.

LOL:D

Yep almost as funny as your made up stories which change daily.:D

Posted this in the Rafa is gone thread ; was the last post before the news was officially confirmed:(
    On the senior players being behind it the only ones who I could possibly see as even possibles are Gerrard, Carra, Torres, Masch, Benni, Rierawinger.

If they are responsible yetsre still looking to move away, it will be very hard for them to retain any sort of credibility.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66217557&postcount=520

Anyway I think we can discount Masch as being one of those who Rafa lost.

As a result I stand by my assessment that the only ones who I could see as being "lost" as

Gerrard
    Carra
    Torres
    Benni
    Rierawinger

The list of those who I would imagine would still retain the backing of Rafa would be

Masch
    Reina
    Cavailieri
    Aquilani
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Kyrgiakos
    Maxi
    Kuyt
    Babel
    Lucas
    Insua
    Dave
    Degen
    El Zhar
    Ayala
    Gulacsi
    Pacheco

Hardly a convincing case of a lost dressing room imo.

5starpool wrote: »
    That is possibly the daftest comment I have read on this thread in days.

If Carra and Stevie expressed RH as their first choice out of everybody available then it would be the most unambitious thing they could have said nearly. If you ask any player publicly do they want to work with XYZ who is a candidate, obviously they are going to be enthusiastic about it in case it happens.

You know the way English players are about working with British coaches.

When the England job becomes available the clamour for an English manager is immense from all and sundry.

• Advertisement

When the England job becomes available the clamour for an English manager is immense from all and sundry.

:D

Which really makes Carra's comments about being delighted to get the chance to be working with Capello all the more bizarre. :confused:

Are you suggesting I'm a retard. I find that offensive.

Its like someones taken your rattle and your having a little hissy fit. Its hilarious. I haven't seen anyone embarrass themselves this much in a long time.

stumpypeeps, are you in fact the latest incarnation of bayviewclose/spiritoftheseventies/fakelocke/sigsnipper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I think it's unlikely either Gerrard or Carragher are that stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

stumpypeeps, are you in fact the latest incarnation of bayviewclose/spiritoftheseventies/fakelocke/sigsnipper?

you forgot TomDunce

:D

how could stumpypeeps be sots when he signed up in 2009

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LOL I asked the same this morning. I was struck by how the question was completely avoided.;)

There are certainly similarities in posting style and opinion.

Its like someones taken your rattle and your having a little hissy fit. Its hilarious. I haven't seen anyone embarrass themselves this much in a long time.

I think it was a critique of your performance.

Which really makes Carra's comments about being delighted to get the chance to be working with Capello all the more bizarre. :confused:

Dont forget just how much Carra enjoyed working under the last English managers he's had. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lads,
    The majority of footballers are idiots who need a small team of "helpers" to run their lives. If the board asked senior players what they thought of the Rafa situation and actually acted on firing him because the players told them to the club is in a worse situation than I had thought........

As mentioned countless times on this thread......is it really that much of a shock to see the board/owners fire Rafa? He made a complete c0ck of things this year. A season which could set LFC back years.

Also, there MAY be something going on behind the scenes with potential new owners wanting to get Rafa out of the club before buying and replacing with a manager of their choosing, whether this be a "big" name or a small one.

Even if thats not the case, firing Rafa even with the pay out, saves the club a fair bit of money cos the new manager wont be on that money and Rafa will take his "top" staff with him.

I've no idea what your talking about. I've a few days off work and just thought I'd enlighten some of you as to whats happening at Anfield.

Generally quoting you from respected Journalists and discussing the daily events. With a bit of hyperbole from myself thrown in. All in good fun. Got you talking anyway.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There seems to be a noticeable personality change with every nickname you choose...

At least you have got some balls this time around.

A retard? You? No I am not calling you an actual retard, I don't know you well enough to make that call.

I know it is terrible that I am having such a hissy fit. Look on the bright side though, you can have a good laugh about it with Gerrard and Carragher when they are telling you about why they hated Rafa.:D

There seems to be a noticeable personality change with every nickname you choose...

At least you have got some balls this time around.

Shame they are resting on his chin though.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

If Hodgson and Kenny are such good mates then doesn't that put huge pressure on Hodgson not to take job when its reported that Kenny wants the job,
    If whats been reported is true then that's the case,
    He's in a position of stepping on Kenny's toes,
    If kenny takes over its roy of the rovers type story,
    If hodgson takes over its more of a Roy Cropper story
    roy1.jpg:D

The problem with the deluded masses, is that they don't actually know they're deluded. Therefore they don't have the where with all to deal with reason when presented to them.

What is obvious is that certain senior players preferred Benitez left.

If they were consulted, which I believe they were, thats a reasonable assumption, Jamie Carragher has been at the club 20 years, then they would have been sounded out on potential replacements. Hodgson seems to have been discussed.

In all likelihood Hodgson will be appointed shortly. Thats not a big leap of faith. Its based on the relevant information from respected Journalists.

Everything else is hyperbole.

The problem with the deluded masses, is that they don't actually know they're deluded. Therefore they don't have the where with all to deal with reason when presented to them.

What is obvious is that certain senior players preferred Benitez left.

If they were consulted, which I believe they were, thats a reasonable assumption, Jamie Carragher has been at the club 20 years, then they would have been sounded out on potential replacements. Hodgson seems to have been discussed.

In all likelihood Hodgson will be appointed shortly. Thats not a big leap of faith. Its based on the relevant information from respected Journalists.

Everything else is hyperbole.

Ahh when you put it like that.

It's Simple, Jack.

Ahh when you put it like that.

It's Simple, Jack.

I knew you'd come round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Jamie Carragher has been at the club 20 years, then they would have been sounded out on potential replacements. Hodgson seems to have been discussed

There is no fúcking way that senior players have been sat down to roundtable discuss who should be brought in to manage the club. Logistically alone. Regardless of that G&H wouldn't give a ****. Neither would purslow. Dalglish might know their feelings about a specific person if he is in day to day contact with them. But the fact remains that you should be dealing with professionals doing a job, you might consider how they would interact with the manager but that very consideration would go towards who best would fill the position with the type/quality of player you have and can this man do the best job with the resources he has.

And IF... if they considered rafa do have lost the dressing room I doubt any of those who had the power to fire/hire had any actually intimate knowledge of this and they were merely going on media hype. If they were not it saddens me that professionals can be brought down by schoolyard bítching

I knew you'd come round.

I have, I have, when I thought about it, the answer really was Simple, Jack.

Tell me, do you like horses? Proper horses, not piebalds or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

whats the name of the woman that used to post in here a lot?

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    whats the name of the woman that used to post in here a lot?

Fink Goodie. The snot thickens. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

thats where my money lies

the ignoring the questions, the smilies, the very out there ideas etc

Big fan of Dressage. Ever since I seen International Velvet. Cracking film.

Big fan of Dressage. Ever since I seen International Velvet. Cracking film.

I have a nice picture of a chestnut coloured horse with a white stripe on his forehead, his owner is with him in the field and it is a nice happy picture. Want to see it?

I have a nice picture of a chestnut coloured horse with a white stripe on his forehead, his owner is with him in the field and it is a nice happy picture. Want to see it?

Your creeping me out a little now lad.

Best of luck in the World Cup, I'm sure Switzerland can progress through to the final.

I'll have my fingers crossed.

Your creeping me out a little now lad.

Best of luck in the World Cup, I'm sure Switzerland can progress through to the final.

I'll have my fingers crossed.

But it is a lovely horse. It is no problem to put it up, in fact it is Simple, Jack.

tropicthundersimplejack.jpg

But it is a lovely horse. It is no problem to put it up, in fact it is Simple, Jack.

Thats twice now you've suggested I'm a retard using a childish film.

Should you have used something a little more high brow perhaps I'd feel less sympathy for you.

I'm guessing given your taste in films and recent tantrums your 14 or so. Am I close?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Thats twice now you've suggested I'm a retard using a childish film.

Should you have used something a little more high brow perhaps I'd feel less sympathy for you.

I'm guessing given your taste in films and recent tantrums your 14 or so. Am I close?

Both of you cut it out.

• Advertisement

I haven't suggested anyone was retarded. I merely concluded given his tantrums and taste in film he was a teenager.

I'll ignore him from now on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement