Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I haven't suggested anyone was retarded. I merely concluded given his tantrums and taste in film he was a teenager.

I'll ignore him from now on.

Your insinuating he's a kid and trying to be superior. Neither of those things are for you to speculate on. Same goes to Kess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Mr Alan wrote: »
    was it Carragher in his book who said the whole 'managers losing the dressing room' thing is a myth perpetrated in the media and never happens? someones autobiography i've read certainly contained that sentiment.

Hey Alan, thanks for reminding me. It was Carragher who said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Hey Alan, thanks for reminding me. It was Carragher who said that.
    Thought so. Guess that means carra can be taken off that list list of possibilities too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

101001 wrote: »
    There is no fúcking way that senior players have been sat down to roundtable discuss who should be brought in to manage the club. Logistically alone.
    Did you read Gerrard's biography? When Rick Parry was in place he regularly consulted and briefed the senior players. He went to the senior players for their opinions and views prior to the sacking of Houllier and prior to the appointment of Benitez.

Of course Parry is long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/06/10/paul-dalglish-backs-father-kenny-to-land-liverpool-fc-manager-s-job-100252-26624401/2/
    Paul Dalglish backs father Kenny to land Liverpool FC manager's job
    KENNY DALGLISH is desperate to be named as Liverpool's new manager, according to his son Paul.

The former Liverpool Reserves striker has revealed his father's burning ambition to succeed Rafa Benitez in the Anfield hot seat.

And Paul believes the Reds legend, who managed the club between 1985 and 1991, is the ideal man to transform the club's fortunes and provide unity after a dismal campaign.

“I just think that hopefully he does get it because I know how much he wants it,” Paul said.

“To be honest with you it would be an unbelievable story for my dad to be going back.

“Some people say, well what happens if it doesn’t work? He’s been out of the game for 10 years.

“My question is, what if it does work? What person loves Liverpool more than my dad?

“Who would Liverpool fans love to see have success more than my dad? Nothing could make my family more proud. I’d love to see it happen.”

Paul, who lives in America and is head coach of Tampa Bay Rowdies, believes Dalglish and Reds assistant boss Sammy Lee would be the perfect double act.

“Sammy Lee is a great coach and very passionate about Liverpool,” he added.

“He’s the best man for that job. I don’t think they’d sleep at night until they were successful.”

When Benitez left last week, Liverpool announced that Dalglish, who returned to the club as an ambassador last year, would be assisting managing director Christian Purslow in the search for the Spaniard's successor in the Reds hot seat.

Dalglish has been out of management for over a decade since he parted company with Celtic.

However, the 59-year-old, who achieved legendary status at Anfield during a 14-year stay between 1977 and 1991 as first player then manager, would be a popular selection among the majority of the club’s supporters.

And the highly-respected figure could be crucial in helping to convince key players like Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard to stay at the club after the World Cup this summer.

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson is currently the bookies' favourite for the job but Paul insists Kenny would be a much better bet.

“I think my dad is the best person to do the job, I know he wants the job,” Paul said.

“If you look at my dad’s record, he’s had one bad year as a manager, and that was his second year at Newcastle. And he would admit he made some mistakes.

“Even in that terrible year, Newcastle still made it to the FA Cup final. He’s a born winner. He’s an inspiration to everyone connected to Liverpool Football Club. No one can inspire the whole club in these difficult times like my father.

“As for Roy Hodgson, he’s a very good man and he did a very good job taking Fulham to the UEFA Cup final.

“I’m sure given the opportunity, he would do a tremendous job. But I’m biased. I want my dad.”

Please happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »
    why do you think Pellegrini would not be realistic?

simply because;

1) we're not that attractive a prospect.

2) i don't trust our owners.

our only advantage is that the 2 big jobs of the summer - Real and Inter - are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

No. Just NO.
    Agreed. In the words of Ron Burgundy, it would be "a bad choice"

is there any reason - bar he's a club legend, and he's cheap - that we should want Kenny Dalglish in the manager's chair?

i suggest definitely not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I just got this in my inbox...
    Media Release
    9th June 2010

Call on Irish fans as Share Liverpool FC gains momentum

With Liverpool FC currently going through one of its most turbulent periods, Share Liverpool FC has crossed one of the most important hurdles in their pursuit to put the club back into the hands of Liverpool fans.

The board of Share Liverpool FC has confirmed it now has the required funds to underwrite the costs of organising and delivering a full share issue to supporters in Ireland and the United Kingdom in compliance with the UK’s Financial Services Authority.

With approximately 3,000 Irish fans already pledging to commit to the Share Liverpool FC share issue, the opportunity to become a part-owner of one of the world’s most famous football clubs is becoming more realistic as the current owners have now publically expressed their wish to sell the club.

The Share Liverpool FC plan involves a minimum investment of £500 to buy a share in the company seeking to own equity in the Club. The share is not-for-profit; one fan: one share, and confers the right to stand for election to the board and the right to vote in any elections. ShareLiverpool FC has over 35,000, registered supporters, 9% of these being Irish, whose current pledges alone could raise up to £40 million in order to acquire a stake in the club.

Former Irish International and ShareLiverpool FC Board member John Aldridge said; “I’m delighted that we are now able to push on and issue the share offer. This is a critical time in the clubs future and I know there is huge support for this initiative in Ireland amongst the Liverpool fans. We want to safeguard the future of Liverpool FC and re-affirm its rightful position at the top of European and world Football. The Irish support is key to this and they can now finally show their commitment to ensuring a bright future for the club.”

Bernard O’Byrne, National Coordinator for Share Liverpool FC Ireland; “Our aim is to gain control of the club or at the very least to gain a significant equity stake in Liverpool FC. There is a huge support for Liverpool on the ground across Ireland and outside of the UK, Ireland is the second biggest country with support for the club. This shows how significant Liverpool supporters in Ireland are going to be in this initiative and now is their time to show their support for the future of Liverpool Football club.”

It will require large numbers of LFC fans to buy a share for the plan to succeed, but set against the fact there are more than 4 million LFC fans in UK & Ireland alone, and uncounted millions more abroad, it is an achievable goal. If the sum raised is insufficient to take a majority stake in the Club, the board would seek to partner a suitable majority owner by purchasing a minority share which cannot be diluted by further share issues, with Club board representation and pre-emption rights. If in the end, Share Liverpool FC is unsuccessful, the cash will be returned in full to everyone who put money in.

More detailed information can be found on www.ShareLiverpoolFC.com

For further information:
    Declan Lee – O’Herlihy Communications – (phone number taken out)
    Bernard O’Byrne – Share Liverpool FC Ireland – (phone number taken out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

It would be a bad bad bad bad time for something like share liverpool fc to take a large sharehoding in the club, considering the amount of debt to be paid.

3 years ago it would have been a good idea, not now.

As soon as the debt was paid, each shareholders share value would drop to nothing, leaving the club with little or no money to invest, pay players etc.

It would basically be like millions of supporters just giving some cash to pay the debt. They may as well just arrange a collection to give to RBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

It would be a bad bad bad bad time for something like share liverpool fc to take a large sharehoding in the club, considering the amount of debt to be paid.

3 years ago it would have been a good idea, not now.

As soon as the debt was paid, each shareholders share value would drop to nothing, leaving the club with little or no money to invest, pay players etc.

It would basically be like millions of supporters just giving some cash to pay the debt. They may as well just arrange a collection to give to RBS.

you dont buy the debt as well as the club afaik.

The debt belongs to Kop Holdings (the two a$$ clowns company), the club is an asset of Kop Holdings, if someone was to buy the club they buy the club from Kop Holdings - the debt stays with Kop Holdings.

So when someone pays £600m for the club, £360m or so goes into G&H's pocket and the rest pays off their debt.

again i could be wrong but that is my understanding of the situation...

or is there another £200m on the club itself as well as the debt Kop Holdings has?

SlickRic wrote: »
    is there any reason - bar he's a club legend, and he's cheap - that we should want Kenny Dalglish in the manager's chair?

i suggest definitely not.

He knows the league, he knows the club, he knows the staff, he knows the players - and he'd command their respect. He's done it all and won it all as a player and as a manager. His record is actually top notch, and while he's been out of management for a while, football is football.

And, after 3 years of the club being a laughing stock, it'd be nice to get back to the boot room and the Liverpool Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

He knows the league, he knows the club, he knows the staff, he knows the players - and he'd command their respect. He's done it all and won it all as a player and as a manager. His record is actually top notch, and while he's been out of management for a while, football is football.

And, after 3 years of the club being a laughing stock, it'd be nice to get back to the boot room and the Liverpool Way.

I completely agree.

While he is not the ideal replacement, we unfortunately do not find ourselves in an ideal world. Yes, there are better choices out there but my view is that some would be too expensive, unfortunately, and some wuold probably not want the job, and as we know some have already ruled themselves out (whether they were approached or not). If it was a choice between Kenny and Roy, then it's Kenny every day of the week for me.

Perhaps he is a little out of touch with regard to dealing in the transfer market, but we probably won't be spending much in the near future anyway, so he would have a bit of time to reacclimatise himself in that respect!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I can't help but see the whole Dalglish thing as a cynical smokescreen. Aside from the fact that he's a cheapest option, which will instantly make him the most attractive to the Yanks, putting him in charge is akin to emotional blackmail. The Yanks know that Dalglish is a legend among Liverpool fans and that sentimentality and nostalgia will buy them time and keep the restless natives quiet for a while. If they appoint someone like Hodgson or O'Neill, the protests over their handling of the manager situation will continue into the new season, but no-one's going to boo Kenny.

no disrespect meant by this, but please, the 'boot room', while a lovely tradition and all that served us well down the years, needs to be put to bed.

Kenny is, from the playing side of things a gamble. he is a safe bet business wise because he'd be on a short-term contract.

he doesn't know the league. he knew it 15 years ago. it's not the same beast anymore, not even close. i'd love to be proved wrong, but it would not fill me with any confidence at all seeing him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

you dont buy the debt as well as the club afaik.

The debt belongs to Kop Holdings (the two a$$ clowns company), the club is an asset of Kop Holdings, if someone was to buy the club they buy the club from Kop Holdings - the debt stays with Kop Holdings.

So when someone pays £600m for the club, £360m or so goes into G&H's pocket and the rest pays off their debt.

again i could be wrong but that is my understanding of the situation...

or is there another £200m on the club itself as well as the debt Kop Holdings has?

I'm not sure myself either - I would however assume that whatever was paid would still go towards paying the debt off. In other words, each share would have FAR less value than 3 years ago, so IMO my point still stands.

There's an extra 300m or so not going towards the club, so in my view, would still be a bad time for a share Liverpool FC type set up to take over.

I'd wait until a new owner comes in, the value of the club settles (along with the debt), and go for just below a majority shareholding in 2 or 3 years time.

That would leave the option of going for majority after that, with an extra contribution of £100 or so from the members to buy the club outright.

I'd hate to see genuine Liverpool supporters being suckered into their money being wasted paying off debts accrued by those two fook for brains.

I'd want fans money, to go towards the fans club. Not the banks.

no disrespect meant by this, but please, the 'boot room', while a lovely tradition and all that served us well down the years, need to be put to bed.

Kenny is, from the playing side of things a gamble. he is a safe bet business wise because he's be on a short-term contract.

he doesn't know the league. he knew it 15 years ago. it's not the same beast anymore, not even close. i'd love to be proved wrong, but it would not fill me with any confidence at all seeing him there.

in all honesty Kenny > Hodgson imo. Also as someone said if this was a few years ago Allerdyce or McLaren were the in vogue manager, does that mean they should have been given the Liverpool job had it been available?

dont get me wrong Kenny is far from the right man for the job but i do believe he is a better fit than Woy or MON, and we may see some attacking football where Woy is going to play the same style as Rafa maybe even more defensive...

no disrespect meant by this, but please, the 'boot room', while a lovely tradition and all that served us well down the years, need to be put to bed.

That's an incredible attitude for a Liverpool fan. Incredible that fans of a club stripped of much of its tradition in recent years would be against a move towards restoring it.
    he doesn't know the league. he knew it 15 years ago.

He's been an ever-present at Anfield, so I'm sure he knows a thing or two. The man's not an idiot. He has forgotten more about football than you or I will ever know. How much did Woy know about the league while he was in Scandinavia, and how much does Hitzfeld know about it? Don't see him around Anfield too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Kenny is, from the playing side of things a gamble. he is a safe bet business wise because he's be on a short-term contract.

Would have to agree with all of that. The last time Kenny managed in the Premiership was 1998, and his team, Newcastle, struggled badly in his last full season finally finishing 13th.

The game has moved on in many ways in that short 12 year span, and I would be really concerned that Kenny would not be able to hit the ground running in terms of being up to speed with those changes in the game.

From the owner's pov it would be a great move in terms of both cost and PR. Plus, as someone else pointed out, it could affect the protests against the owners as many may see protesting as a slight against Kenny, sentiment can be funny that way.

Kenny may be younger than Roy, but Roy has the advantage of managing year in year out with no prolonged absence to retard his knowledge of the modern game.

One positive though, if Roy takes over, is that the media seem to like Roy, so he should avoid a lot of the hounding that Rafa got, and by association, the club would have a bit less by way of dirty washing being aired in public.

I still would not see Roy as anything other than a short term appointment though. Brought in to bring some stability and fresh thinking until a stronger appointment can be made.

• Advertisement

That's an incredible attitude for a Liverpool fan. Incredible that fans of a club stripped of much of its tradition in recent years would be against a move towards restoring it.

it's not really that incredible.

i'm not in favour of restoring anything just for the sake of it. if it's for convenience of business i understand the appointment, but it wouldn't be an appointment made because he is the best man for the job; far from it. and i hope you don't believe that it would be.
    He's been an ever-present at Anfield, so I'm sure he knows a thing or two. The man's not an idiot. He has forgotten more about football than you or I will ever know. How much did Woy know about the league while he was in Scandinavia, and how much does Hitzfeld know about it? Don't see him around Anfield too much.

i know he's not an idiot.

but, the guy in row 2 of the Kop has been ever-present; it doesn't mean he should manage the football club. Kenny knows more about the game than you or I ever will, but being away from managing in the top echelons of the game for the best part of 15 years (maybe a bit less if we include the Celtic debacle), would lead me to believe he's not best man for the job.

Hitzfeld has been at the top of the European game through the last decade and more.

Roy, granted, but he does have the fact he's done a good job at Fulham the last 2 years on his CV, plus the fact he can work on a budget successfully. ask Massimo Moratti too.

since Blackburn, Kenny's management tenures have been modest. and that's being kind. Hitzfeld/Woy > Kenny any day of the week in terms of managing a club today.

again, if Kenny's appointed, I hope I'm as wrong as I've ever been.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would have to agree with all of that. The last time Kenny managed in the Premiership was 1998, and his team, Newcastle, struggled badly in his last full season finally finishing 13th.

before Woy took over at Fulham, he had last managed in the prem in 1998 and he was fired by Blackburn in November 98...

before Woy took over at Fulham, he had last managed in the prem in 1998 and he was fired by Blackburn in November 98...

even so, he's less of a risk than Kenny.

he still managed in the Premiership in the last 2 years.

I don't think it is an incredible attitude at all. I have a feeling that Slick, like myself, has a worry that Kenny could fail and tarnish his reputation at the club. I would hate to see Kenny come in and not work out, I would sooner see Roy in short term than risk Kenny being moved on after not achieving what he set out to do.

There is no doubt that Kenny still knows more about the game than the average supporter, but for the last decade he has been out of touch whether we like that fact of not. Sitting in the crowd watching games is no indicator of having deep knowledge of the workings of the modern game, if it were then any of us who go to games on a regular basis could make that claim.

Kenny would need a really good start if he got the job, otherwise the media would have a field day with it, and the pressure would soon grow.

It is not as though Kenny has not been linked with jobs between his time with Celtic and now, and he was knocked back on one that he did apply for. But the calibre of the jobs that he was in for, and rejected for, is a concern too, Sheffield United and Preston North end, which to me suggests that Premier League chairmen looked at him as too big a risk for their clubs when a managerial vacancy did arrive.

All in all I don't want Kenny to get the job for purely selfish reasons, I want to keep my memories of King Kenny intact, complete with the exaggeration of achievements that only nostalgia can imbue.

Kess73 wrote: »

The game has moved on in many ways in that short 12 year span, and I would be really concerned that Kenny would not be able to hit the ground running in terms of being up to speed with those changes in the game.

From the owner's pov it would be a great move in terms of both cost and PR. Plus, as someone else pointed out, it could affect the protests against the owners as many may see protesting as a slight against Kenny, sentiment can be funny that way.

Kenny may be younger than Roy, but Roy has the advantage of managing year in year out with no prolonged absence to retard his knowledge of the modern game.

One positive though, if Roy takes over, is that the media seem to like Roy, so he should avoid a lot of the hounding that Rafa got, and by association, the club would have a bit less by way of dirty washing being aired in public.

I still would not see Roy as anything other than a short term appointment though. Brought in to bring some stability and fresh thinking until a stronger appointment can be made.

Excellent post. Appointing Kenny Dalglish would set the club back years. Liverpool fans really need to forget about all the "boot room" *****. This philosophy was great back in the 70s/80s, but now that football is a huge money-making business, we need to get someone from outside the club. We need a top class manager who has managed consistently, and not had a long break like Dalglish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Liverpool now face a battle to hold onto to their two world class players, Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, both of whom have been strongly linked with transfers away from Anfield amid reputed interest from Chelsea, Manchester City, Real Madrid and Barcelona. Redknapp, formerly a Liverpool captain, claims the club should appoint Kop legend Kenny Dalglish because he has the aura and respect to retain the club’s top stars.
    The ex-Liverpool captain told the Daily Mail: “Benitez won the Champions League and the FA Cup, but it was time for him to go.”
    “I speak to some of the Liverpool players, but you don’t have to do that to see how unhappy they were last season.”
    “The manager had lost the dressing room. They almost downed tools.”
    “The players were fed up and beaten. You can’t have Liverpool players like that!”
    “It reflected in their performances and their final league position. Whoever takes the job has a huge task rebuilding morale and standards.”
    “He will inherit some good players — but not enough.”
    “He will have to take on the responsibility of keeping Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.”
    “I just think Kenny (Dalglish), with all his Liverpool history, will have a better chance of achieving that, as well as attracting fresh blood.”
    “The modern Liverpool don’t need just a figurehead, but a leader. Kenny can be that man.”
    “Christian Purslow, the new managing director, has been bold with his decision to sack Benitez and now he faces a challenging period searching for the right man. The right man, in my opinion, is under his nose.”

Yeah but Roy has recent experience in the league that Kenny does not have, plus Roy has the advanatge of being constantly in management, albeit at varying levels of quality, for the decade that Kenny missed.

A man who was constantly in management has to be more up to date and sharper than a man who has had no competitive involvement for a decade or so, in my honest opinion.

ok, i've thought about it...

Kenny and Roy should be brought into a room for the interview.

they sit at opposite ends of the room.

Fernando Torres gets flown in specially from World Cup duty.

he walks in, and is asked by Purslow to stand in the middle of the room.

then Kenny and Roy each try to call Torres to them, from their side of the room.

whichever manager Torres goes to gets appointed.

simple.

ok, i've thought about it...

Kenny and Roy should be brought into a room for the interview.

they sit at opposite ends of the room.

Fernando Torres gets flown in specially from World Cup duty.

he walks in, and is asked by Purslow to stand in the middle of the room.

then Kenny and Roy each try to call Torres to them, from their side of the room.

whichever manager Torres goes to gets appointed.

simple.

this method is probably a lot better than the method the club will use to to pick the manager...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

even so, he's less of a risk than Kenny.

he still managed in the Premiership in the last 2 years.

To be honest Liverpool in the premier league and Fulham in the premier league are two completely different worlds. Hodgson has no experience of being a prem manager where you are both expected to win every single game and play good football as well as controlling international players and a large squad. Also he has no record of dealing with large transfers as his major success with Inter was on a budget similar to Fulham and international jobs obviously do not count here

Not to mention the expectation to win trophies every season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You're talking about Cuba? (Ryan Babel?)

Splainc wrote: »
    Also he has no record of dealing with large transfers as his major success with Inter was on a budget similar to Fulham and international jobs obviously do not count here

this won't be a problem.

we've f*ck all for him to spend.

i hope the fans don't expect trophies at the moment; not until new owners come in. Champions League and a couple of cup runs should be the height of our hopes right now.

as depressing as that is to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

To be honest Liverpool in the premier league and Fulham in the premier league are two completely different worlds.

But he knows what its like to go and play Utd/chelsea/stoke etc these days, he knows the other clubs and how they play. He'll have spent two years week in week out analyzing the opposition. This I think is a plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'm not sure myself either - I would however assume that whatever was paid would still go towards paying the debt off. In other words, each share would have FAR less value than 3 years ago, so IMO my point still stands.

There's an extra 300m or so not going towards the club, so in my view, would still be a bad time for a share Liverpool FC type set up to take over.

I'd wait until a new owner comes in, the value of the club settles (along with the debt), and go for just below a majority shareholding in 2 or 3 years time.

That would leave the option of going for majority after that, with an extra contribution of £100 or so from the members to buy the club outright.

I'd hate to see genuine Liverpool supporters being suckered into their money being wasted paying off debts accrued by those two fook for brains.

I'd want fans money, to go towards the fans club. Not the banks.

That's wrong.

No matter when you buy (e.g. 2 years ago, now or in 2 years time), not a single cent goes to the club. It goes directly to whoever you buy the shares from.

The whole idea is to get the yanks out (as it is in mancville). The only way they leave is by selling their shares for the best price they can get.

Just like when the yanks paid the hundreds of millions (of the banks money) to buy the club. Not a single cent of that went to the club, it all went into the pocket of Moores and the other shareholders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To be honest Liverpool in the premier league and Fulham in the premier league are two completely different worlds. Hodgson has no experience of being a prem manager where you are both expected to win every single game and play good football as well as controlling international players and a large squad. Also he has no record of dealing with large transfers as his major success with Inter was on a budget similar to Fulham and international jobs obviously do not count here

You appear to be in cloud cuckoo land, Liverpool fc will not be winning anything or get close to winning anything for a year or three I think. So your contention that the next manager will be expected to win things is to completely misunderstand what the managers job will be. There will be no big money eye-catching signings unless they form part of a swap deal as Masch et al leave, Liverpool will not be challanging for the title for several years so thats not an issue for the next manager either.

Some people really need to cop on. LFCs only target is to nab 4th place nothing more is even achieveable for a while.

101001 wrote: »
    But he knows what its like to go and play Utd/chelsea/stoke etc these days, he knows the other clubs and how they play. He'll have spent two years week in week out analyzing the opposition. This I think is a plus

So does Sammy Lee. With the correct backroom staff around him he's time out of the game could be negated somewhat.

In fairness Hodgson's teams away from home set up deep and defend and come away with draws.

Dalglish may be more positive. Their seems to be an incredible push from all sections to restore Dalglish. Its getting interesting.

It could also be said that Liverpool in the first division, when Dalglish managed them, and Liverpool in the premier league are different worlds also in many ways.

Yes Roy has no real experience in dealing with large transfers, but Kenny has no real experience in working with a tight budget as he had access to big money in any of the managerial roles he has in the 80' and 90's.

If Kenny had some recent managerial experience and was somewhat of a success in that role based upon the expectations of that role, then I would be more inclined to say Kenny over Roy, but seeing as Kenny has no recent experience and no experience at all with small budgets, I have to go for Roy if it is a straight choice between them, and if Liverpool can attract no other candidates than them.

Their seems to be an incredible push from all sections to restore Dalglish. Its getting interesting.

it's a journalists dream.

a fairytale if you like.

i'm not surprised it's getting jumped on like moths to a flame.

plus it makes us, initially, look a bit of a laughing stock.

you know, remember, sack the manager who walked straight into the Inter job, and hire a man whose been out of management for a decade, but was part of the 'boot room'.

you couldn't make it up. the masses will lap it up.

this won't be a problem.

we've f*ck all for him to spend.

i hope the fans don't expect trophies at the moment; not until new owners come in. Champions League and a couple of cup runs should be the height of our hopes right now.

as depressing as that is to say.

At last. Somebody gives this thread the reality check it needed.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    You appear to be in cloud cuckoo land, Liverpool fc will not be winning anything or get close to winning anything for a year or three I think. So your contention that the next manager will be expected to win things is to completely misunderstand what the managers job will be. There will be no big money eye-catching signings unless they form part of a swap deal as Masch et al leave, Liverpool will not be challanging for the title for several years so thats not an issue for the next manager either.

Some people really need to cop on. LFCs only target is to nab 4th place nothing more is even achieveable for a while.

I am not expecting a title shot or anything but i think you are way down the other end of the pessimistic scale.

We have the same squad as last year and are adding at least Jovanovic to the squad with no players going as of yet. A new manager will breath new life into the team. Spurs will find it difficult to juggle europe and city cannot attract as big names as they would like (and seem to be selling any players with heart). We will not have the burden of CL games which will also give Torres a better chance of staying fit for more league games and Gerrard will be a lot better this season simply to impress the new manager.

We still have a good team. Not amazing but good which is upgraded to very good when Torres is fit. The worst season in the last 15 years or so and we still nearly grabbed a CL spot

EDIT.
    whatever is realisitic or not the new manager will be expected to win things. why in gods name do you think Benitez was sacked? He delivered CL in all but last year

it's a journalists dream.

a fairytale if you like.

i'm not surprised it's getting jumped on like moths to a flame.

plus it makes us, initially, look a bit of a laughing stock.

you know, remember, sack the manager who walked straight into the Inter job, and hire a man whose been out of management for a decade, but was part of the 'boot room'.

you couldn't make it up. the masses will lap it up.

From what I've read the push for Dalglish is coming from both Redknapps, Phil Thompson, Phil Neal, Bruce Grobelaar, his son Paul, John Barnes, Ronnie Whelan, Roy Evans and probably some more ex players.

The journalists are pushing Martin O'Neill, Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes.

I have no problem with Hogson. He would be a safe pair of hands. I'd just love to see what Kenny could do. Football has changed, but that is mostly on the fitness and dietary side of things.

The actually playing side of things doesn't change that much. Its still a pretty simple game.

whatever is realisitic or not the new manager will be expected to win things. why in gods name do you think Benitez was sacked? He delivered CL in all but last year

the new manager will be brought in to keep the club ticking along until the new owners come in, that is all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

the new manager will be brought in to keep the club ticking along until the new owners come in, that is all...
    He could be there a while so.

Not sure if that would be the case with Hodgson. Do you really think he will leave Fulham to take over liverpool for 6 months? Think he is too experienced to believe any bull**** they would feed him to convince him to sign up for that

There is also the issue of the England job becoming available. Hodgson is known to be very willing to take it on. Would he drop everything at Liverpool should it become available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eh? Fabio has signed for another two years.

mike65 wrote: »
    Eh? Fabio has signed for another two years.

I wouldn't count any chickens til we see how the world cup goes!

Even so, should Roy prove to be a success, will he up sticks in 2 years time?

There is also the issue of the England job becoming available. Hodgson is known to be very willing to take it on. Would he drop everything at Liverpool should it become available?

c_documents_and_settings_owner_my_documents_mummi_myndir_blog_is_fabio_capello.jpg

Not sure if that would be the case with Hodgson. Do you really think he will leave Fulham to take over liverpool for 6 months? Think he is too experienced to believe any bull**** they would feed him to convince him to sign up for that

he currently has a 12month rolling contract with Fulham, he would get that with us. do you really think we will have an owner in 6 months, coz i certainly dont (unless getting rid of Rafa was the beginning of the end)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement