Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Dalglish was the man responsible for bringing Redknapp to Liverpool, but the former midfielder suggests sentiment does not come in to, because he simply believes the Kop hero is the ideal candidate for the Liverpool job recently vacated by Rafa Benitez.
    The Liverpool hero told the Daily Mail: “Kenny Dalglish is the right man at the right time for Liverpool. He has the quality that money cannot buy: respect. They should be crying out for his leadership now to replace Rafa Benitez, who had to go.”
    “I spent some time with Dalglish last week for the UNICEF game at Old Trafford and saw every day the passion and desire — and the knowledge — Kenny still has for football.”
    “If the argument against his appointment is that he has been out of the game too long, you wouldn’t know it speaking to him — line-ups, formations, players. He’s been observing and building his knowledge. He’s ready to return to football.”
    “I still see Liverpool as my club. I was captain and spent more than a decade playing for the club, after Kenny signed me at the age of 17 from Bournemouth.”
    “I remember my first day up there, wondering how I would cope away from my mum and dad. He invited me to stay at his house, where his lovely wife, Marina, cooked chicken and pasta and we spoke about football. Then he told me I had to go to bed.”
    “It was quite early and I was a bit surprised, but you don’t argue with the great Kenny Dalglish. So off I went.”
    “I did as I was told, only to find out the next morning over breakfast that I was in the squad to face Wimbledon. I didn’t know until then, he didn’t tell me, but it was his way of keeping me calm.
    “The day he left the club — about a month later — despite the thousands of people he needed to speak to and explain why, he called me and told me that I shouldn’t worry and that Liverpool was my club. I cried my eyes out.”
    “Even last week, Kenny still had that aura about him. He is Liverpool’s Special One.”
    “Liverpool supporters also hold him close to their heart forever.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Dalglish was the man responsible for bringing Redknapp to Liverpool, but the former midfielder suggests sentiment does not come in to, because he simply believes the Kop hero is the ideal candidate for the Liverpool job recently vacated by Rafa Benitez.
    The Liverpool hero told the Daily Mail: “Kenny Dalglish is the right man at the right time for Liverpool. He has the quality that money cannot buy: respect. They should be crying out for his leadership now to replace Rafa Benitez, who had to go.”
    “I spent some time with Dalglish last week for the UNICEF game at Old Trafford and saw every day the passion and desire — and the knowledge — Kenny still has for football.”
    “If the argument against his appointment is that he has been out of the game too long, you wouldn’t know it speaking to him — line-ups, formations, players. He’s been observing and building his knowledge. He’s ready to return to football.”
    “I still see Liverpool as my club. I was captain and spent more than a decade playing for the club, after Kenny signed me at the age of 17 from Bournemouth.”
    “I remember my first day up there, wondering how I would cope away from my mum and dad. He invited me to stay at his house, where his lovely wife, Marina, cooked chicken and pasta and we spoke about football. Then he told me I had to go to bed.”
    “It was quite early and I was a bit surprised, but you don’t argue with the great Kenny Dalglish. So off I went.”
    “I did as I was told, only to find out the next morning over breakfast that I was in the squad to face Wimbledon. I didn’t know until then, he didn’t tell me, but it was his way of keeping me calm.
    “The day he left the club — about a month later — despite the thousands of people he needed to speak to and explain why, he called me and told me that I shouldn’t worry and that Liverpool was my club. I cried my eyes out.”
    “Even last week, Kenny still had that aura about him. He is Liverpool’s Special One.”“Liverpool supporters also hold him close to their heart forever.”

Oh jesus..........talk about bloody a**elicker. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that's actually a nice enough article; and i enjoyed the little story about him and Kenny when Jamie first came to the club.

i can understand Redknapp's sentiment, and i know he says that has nothing to do with it, but it does.

i'd understand Kenny's appointment, but i'd be extremely sceptical of it. i love the man, but i'm going to need a lot of convincing.

SlickRic wrote: »
    that's actually a nice enough article; and i enjoyed the little story about him and Kenny when Jamie first came to the club.

i can understand Redknapp's sentiment, and i know he says that has nothing to do with it, but it does.

i'd understand Kenny's appointment, but i'd be extremely sceptical of it. i love the man, but i'm going to need a lot of convincing.

I'm probably a bit nostalgic, a bit too optimistic and a little sentimental.

I have spent many many hours watching Liverpool games from the eighties. The football under Dalglish was breathtaking. The risk is big but the potential is great.

Pass and move. As opposed to hold and track back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He knows the league, he knows the club, he knows the staff, he knows the players - and he'd command their respect. He's done it all and won it all as a player and as a manager. His record is actually top notch, and while he's been out of management for a while, football is football.

And, after 3 years of the club being a laughing stock, it'd be nice to get back to the boot room and the Liverpool Way.

Wow, desperate times clearly. So because he knows the league, players and staff he should be picked. Knowing the staff means jack ****, considering most of the staff will most likely leave to join Rafa or go somewhere else. Not sure what you mean when you say he knows the league, so do Roy and MON and half the population of England as well. He'd command the respect of Gerrard and Carragher, that's probably it.

Football isn't football either, it has changed hugely in the last 15 years or so.

P.S I never knew we were such a laughing stock when we finished 2nd in the league with our highest points total ever. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Dalglish.......
    “Liverpool supporters also hold him close to their heart forever.”

You B*stard... Jamie Redknapp just made me feel feelings... I hold you personally responsible!

I don't understand all this fuss about football having changed that drastically in the last 15 years.

Consider Liverpool of 87/88 played 4-4-1-1. Barnes and Houghton on the wings, coming inside quite a lot. Beardsly in behind out and out striker Aldridge.(Torres and Gerrard)

McMahon and Whelan in Midfield with the full backs overlapping.

It sounds a lot like what Benitez was trying to achieve last season.

The fitness and consequently the pace of the game may have changed. But the players are used to that.

My only reservation with Hodgson is that tactically, he is very similar to Benitez. Cautious and defensive. I don't think that way of playing will achieve great success in England. United, Arsenal and Chelsea this season is a testament to that.

I don't understand all this fuss about football having changed that drastically in the last 15 years.

Consider Liverpool of 87/88 played 4-4-1-1. Barnes and Houghton on the wings, coming inside quite a lot. Beardsly in behind out and out striker Aldridge.(Torres and Gerrard)

The fitness and consequently the pace of the game may have changed. But the players are used to that.

My only reservation with Hodgson is that tactically, he is very similar to Benitez. Cautious and defensive. I don't think that way of playing will achieve great success in England. United, Arsenal and Chelsea this season is a testament to that.

Chelsea under Jose I suppose were an attacking beast? Obviously formations haven't hugely changed because there's own so many ways you can line up 11 players. However tactical knowledge each individual players needs to know now has really increased. Also, we don't need to achieve great success, we need to finish 4th and thats it.

The biggest worry I have with Kenny is he won't have the balls to handle the job and make big decisions. If Gerrard sticks around and Kenny sticks him in midfield we can say goodnight to 4th place next season, I fear with the media still being so in love with him as a CM for some bizarre reason there is a good chance this will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I fear with the media still being so in love with him as a CM for some bizarre reason there is a good chance this will happen.

i think the media were more anti-rafa than anything else, so their opinion may change quite soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Wow, desperate times clearly. So because he knows the league, players and staff he should be picked. Knowing the staff means jack ****, considering most of the staff will most likely leave to join Rafa or go somewhere else. Not sure what you mean when you say he knows the league, so do Roy and MON and half the population of England as well. He'd command the respect of Gerrard and Carragher, that's probably it.

Football isn't football either, it has changed hugely in the last 15 years or so.

P.S I never knew we were such a laughing stock when we finished 2nd in the league with our highest points total ever. :confused:

It is because of the likes of that post you commented on that we lost a World Class manager.

Chelsea under Jose I suppose were an attacking beast? Obviously formations haven't hugely changed because there's own so many ways you can line up 11 players. However tactical knowledge each individual players needs to know now has really increased. Also, we don't need to achieve great success, we need to finish 4th and thats it.

The biggest worry I have with Kenny is he won't have the balls to handle the job and make big decisions. If Gerrard sticks around and Kenny sticks him in midfield we can say goodnight to 4th place next season, I fear with the media still being so in love with him as a CM for some bizarre reason there is a good chance this will happen.

Do you think Pep Guardiola or Arsene Wenger spend hours and hours drilling their players on the merits of the opposition. I think they spend more time working with the merits of their own players. They play their football and don't get overly worried about the opposition.

I remember watching Bob Paisly talking about his team selections, lest not forget he masterminded 3 European cups. He basically said we don't worry too much about tactics and that. We try and pick the right player for the team and let them get on with playing football. As john Giles is always saying. Go out and express yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If by some miracle we manage to hold on to everybody (I know, unlikely) Gerrard could be moved back to midfield but I suppose it would depend on the formation.

Using the 4-2-3-1 system it would be 4-(Gerrard-Masch)-(Jovanovic-Aquilani-Benayoun)-(Torres).

The same players could be used in a 4-4-1-1 system.

If we lose 2-3 of our starting 11 this summer then the next few years will be fairly bleak waiting for a team to gel again.

One big worry that I would have with Kenny with regard to making big decisions is not so much where he will play Gerrard but will he drop Carragher if he's performs like he did last season.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    One big worry that I would have with Kenny with regard to making big decisions is not so much where he will play Gerrard but will he drop Carragher if he's performs like he did last season.

TBF i think he might... I reckon he has the stones to do it. I also think the fans and press would be more forgiving if/when he does than they were to benitez

Do you think Pep Guardiola or Arsene Wenger spend hours and hours drilling their players on the merits of the opposition. I think they spend more time working with the merits of their own players. They play their football and don't get overly worried about the opposition.

I remember watching Bob Paisly talking about his team selections, lest not forget he masterminded 3 European cups. He basically said we don't worry too much about tactics and that. We try and pick the right player for the team and let them get on with playing football. As john Giles is always saying. Go out and express yourselves.

You've had conversations with Pep guardiola and Arsene Wenger? With all the time you spend talking to Gerrard and Carragher I surprised you find the time. You'll have to remind me when the last time Wenger won a trophy was? As for Pep Guardiola, it's a bit easier to ignore opposition when you have Xavi, Messi, Ibra, and Iniesta in your team. If you think it's as simple as Kenny standing in the dressing room before the game and saying "Pass and move lads, it's the Liverpool way" and then suddenly Babbel, Lucas et all will be able to put in performs as good as Barcelona then your even more deluded then your 15 different alias would suggest.

Not only that, but considering Barca lost to Inter when they played one of the best tactical managers in the world maybe it's also time for Pep to look into in, especially now Jose is managing Inter.

We'll if you using John Giles says it then it must be true. :pac:

dogbert27 wrote: »
    If by some miracle we manage to hold on to everybody (I know, unlikely) Gerrard could be moved back to midfield but I suppose it would depend on the formation.

Using the 4-2-3-1 system it would be 4-(Gerrard-Masch)-(Jovanovic-Aquilani-Benayoun)-(Torres).

Against the top teams we'd get murdered with Gerrard playing that position.

101001 wrote: »
    TBF i think he might... I reckon he has the stones to do it. I also think the fans and press would be more forgiving if/when he does than they were to benitez

That's because he's "King Kenny". :rolleyes:

Some 'Pool fans have blinkers when it comes to their former players. Another reason why I think we need to dispense of the "boot room" philosophy. Yes, he was a great player, and he has had his go at managing the club.

Let's move on.

• Advertisement

Against the top teams we'd get murdered with Gerrard playing that position.

he's still a decent cm, i'd say better than what most EPL teams have, i doubt we would get murdered...

You've had conversations with Pep guardiola and Arsene Wenger? With all the time you spend talking to Gerrard and Carragher I surprised you find the time. You'll have to remind me when the last time Wenger won a trophy was? As for Pep Guardiola, it's a bit easier to ignore opposition when you have Xavi, Messi, Ibra, and Iniesta in your team. If you think it's as simple as Kenny standing in the dressing room before the game and saying "Pass and move lads, it's the Liverpool way" and then suddenly Babbel, Lucas et all will be able to put in performs as good as Barcelona then your even more deluded then your 15 different alias would suggest.

Not only that, but considering Barca lost to Inter when they played one of the best tactical managers in the world maybe it's also time for Pep to look into in, especially now Jose is managing Inter.

We'll if you using John Giles says it then it must be true.

Drivel. If Inter Milans performances from last year is your blue print for success I give up.

Barca did the exact same feat the year before playing good football. Who'll be remembered more fondly. Who would you rather go watch?

he's still a decent cm, i'd say better than what most EPL teams have, i doubt we would get murdered...

Of course we would. He has no discipline to play CM. Look at the performances Lucas has put in against United the few times, they've been class and one of the big reasons we have won is because we shut there midfield down with Lucas and Masch. Gerrard can't play that role.

Drivel. If Inter Milans performances from last year is your blue print for success I give up.

Barca did the exact same feat the year before playing good football. Who'll be remembered more fondly. Who would you rather go watch?

Inter won the treble last year, that's my blueprint. I don't care who remembers what more fondly. Football is about winning. I had no problem watching any of liverpools matches before last season when we were winning the majority of them. Again, do you think we have players as good as barca?

its weird... the more this thread goes on the more Newcastle like it becomes. Manager bad season, sack him. What do you think about the manager captain? Why won't someone buy my club and my ridiculous evaluation of it?

Now its becoming forget winning lets just play pretty football and lets just hire a manager because he likes attacking football... The only saving grace with that attitude is Allardyce isn't going to get a sniff at the job

Inter won the treble last year, that's my blueprint. I don't care who remembers what more fondly. Football is about winning. I had no problem watching any of liverpools matches before last season when we were winning the majority of them. Again, do you think we have players as good as barca?

Look how revitalised Chelsea have been this year since Ancelotti came in and took the shackles off.

Look at the football we played towards the end of 2008/2009, when Rafa took the shackles off. Real Madrid at home!

Unfortunately he reverted to type last year and we fell apart.

• Advertisement

101001 wrote: »
    its weird... the more this thread goes on the more Newcastle like it becomes. Manager bad season, sack him. What do you think about the manager captain? Why won't someone buy my club and my ridiculous evaluation of it?

Now its becoming forget winning lets just play pretty football and lets just hire a manager because he likes attacking football... The only saving grace with that attitude is Allardyce isn't going to get a sniff at the job

I think its fairly obvious he lost the dressing room from all the reports emanating.
    That and his courting of Juventus spelled the end. He burnt too many bridges.

Look how revitalised Chelsea have been this year since Ancelotti came in and took the shackles off.

Look at the football we played towards the end of 2008/2009, when Rafa took the shackles off. Real Madrid at home!

Unfortunately he reverted to type last year and we fell apart.

You'll have to remind me how well they did in the champions league this year as well? Lost to a certain manager who fond of tactics again didn't they? He didn't revert to type, we got hammered by injuries and his hand was forced. The lose of Alonso was a big hit and Aqualani taking longer to come back didn't help either.

You'll have to remind me how well they did in the champions league this year as well? Lost to a certain manager who fond of tactics again didn't they? He didn't revert to type, we got hammered by injuries and his hand was forced. The lose of Alonso was a big hit and Aqualani taking longer to come back didn't help either.

Aquillani was handled very poorly. He wasn't given enough time to gel with his team mates. He should have played more. Injuries and the loss of Alonso were indeed huge factors. However, two holding midfielders at all times. Kuyt instead of Benayoun. Torres isolated up front.

Thats all very successful in Europe by and large but its not the way to succeed in the Premieship.

Aquillani was handled very poorly. He wasn't given enough time to gel with his team mates. He should have played more. Injuries and the loss of Alonso were indeed huge factors. However, two holding midfielders at all times. Kuyt instead of Benayoun. Torres isolated up front.

Thats all very successful in Europe by and large but its not the way to succeed in the Premieship.

It worked the season before when we had Kuyt on the right instead of Benayound and Torres "isolated" up front. :confused: The two holding midfielders was an issues, but as I said Aqualani struggled to find form and it was only towards the end of the season he started to settle in. I'm sure next season he will do very well. He needed a full pre-season to be given time to gel with team mates trying to do it during the season was always going to be a struggle.

At times when Liverpool were playing at a high tempo pushing forward Aquilani looked wonderful. Lots of neat interplay and incisive passing. He has wonderful potential. I think he should have been given more game time at the expense of Lucas or Mascherano.

I think if the shackles are taken off we'll see much better from Gerrard, Aquilani, Torres, Benayoun, Riera, Lucas, even Lucas looked goood when allowed to get forward!!!!

Benitez has just been appointed Inter coach. On a two year contract. Surprising.

Benitez has just been appointed Inter coach. On a two year contract. Surprising.

are you crazy?

we've known this for days, it has been discussed here in great detail...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Indeed it is surprising. I hope they don't regret that.

(The short term nature of the contract for a world class manager, that is.)

are you crazy?

I thought they'd give him a longer contract than that. Despite my question marks over his performance in the Premiership, He will be ideal for Italian football. He is a student of Saachi afterall. Its the philosophy he follows. I would have thought a 3 year contract at least would be offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

At no point last season did Aquilani look impressive, Hopefully Rafa comes back in for him

• Advertisement

I thought they'd give him a longer contract than that. Despite my question marks over his performance in the Premiership, He will be ideal for Italian football. He is a student of Saachi afterall. Its the philosophy he follows. I would have thought a 3 year contract at least would be offered.

sorry didnt know you were talking about the contract length...

doc_17 wrote: »
    At no point last season did Aquilani look impressive, Hopefully Rafa comes back in for him

thats simply not true

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Mind you, a short term contract at Inter may suit us, if the ownership situation takes about 18 months to resolve then it will shoehorn nicely with The Return Of Rafa.

spockety wrote: »
    Mind you, a short term contract at Inter may suit us, if the ownership situation takes about 18 months to resolve then it will shoehorn nicely with The Return Of Rafa.

No No, a manager should never return to a club he previously managed. It never works.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

No No, a manager should never return to a club he previously managed. It never works.;)

Marcello Lippi is an exception to that rule and Fabio Capello.

No. Just NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Marcello Lippi is an exception to that rule and Fabio Capello.
    Capello only just about won La Liga with Real when he went back. Lippi in fairness is just class. I cant see why we don't try sign him up as manager!!

\o/ yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Formations aside, Rafa's Liverpool teams have at times, and particularly last season, shown a complete lack of what-to-do-ness in the final third.

Many posters alluded to it this season, the worry that something wasn't right with some of the training methods or priorities.

I'd argue that is one of the elements people are referring.

Benitez was so concerned with not conceding it affected the fluidity of the players to get forward and get involved with attacking play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Benitez was so concerned with not conceding it affected the fluidity of the players to get forward and get involved with attacking play.

And from that it may be that Italian football will suit him better.:confused:

BrookieD wrote: »
    And from that it may be that Italian football will suit him better.:confused:

Yes, Italian football is much more defensive than English football, look at the national team. Catanaccio and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

:D Nice one, so Whelan was a major force in midfield during our Total football season? Shame nobody told that to the man who actually partnered Steve McMahon for pretty much the whole season in all competitions including the cup final. Whelan was available for selection for the last month to six weeks of that season and still could not get a game, so all Whelan played that season was a few games at the start of the season.

I am a bit bemused at how a fan like you did not know that Whelan was not a major part of the team in the season you are using as an example, and that Nigel Spackman was outstanding as the regular cm that season.

And overlapping fullbacks? As in plural? In the 1987/88 season? What team were you watching? I'll give you Steve Nicol at right back as a full back that did like to get forward, but who is your over lapping full back from the left back slot for the 197/88 season?

Jim Beglin? he barely played half a season.

Maybe you mean the man that played in the position for most of that season, Gary Ablett. Fine defender but hardly a regularly over lapping fullback, not that there was much need with John Barnes on the left wing.

Barnes and Houghton played on the wings but came inside quite a lot? Christ on a bike, the club has never had so much width in it's play as it did that season. Yes they cut inside as all wingers do at times, but not an awful lot when compared to how often many of the modern wide players do so.

The 1987/88 team could not be further from the style of play or tactics used by Rafa's teams. Did you ever actually watch that team play or did you just dream that it was a similar team in set up and style to the team Rafa built?

Kess73 wrote: »
    :D Nice one, so Whelan was a major force in midfield during our Total football season? Shame nobody told that to the man who actually partnered Steve McMahon for pretty much the whole season in all competitions including the cup final. Whelan was available for selection for the last month to six weeks of that season and still could not get a game, so all Whelan played that season was a few games at the start of the season.

I am a bit bemused at how a fan like you did not know that Whelan was not a major part of the team in the season you are using as an example, and that Nigel Spackman was outstanding as the regular cm that season.

And overlapping fullbacks? As in plural? In the 1987/88 season? What team were you watching? I'll give you Steve Nicol at right back as a full back that did like to get forward, but who is your over lapping full back from the left back slot for the 197/88 season?

Jim Beglin? he barely played half a season.

Maybe you mean the man that played in the position for most of that season, Gary Ablett. Fine defender but hardly a regularly over lapping fullback, not that there was much need with John Barnes on the left wing.

Barnes and Houghton played on the wings but came inside quite a lot? Christ on a bike, the club has never had so much width in it's play as it did that season. Yes they cut inside as all wingers do at times, but not an awful lot when compared to how often many of the modern wide players do so.

The 1987/88 team could not be further from the style of play or tactics used by Rafa's teams. Did you ever actually watch that team play or did you just dream that it was a similar team in set up and style to the team Rafa built?

Oh how pedantic of you. What a bore.

You seem to have forgotten Barry Venison played at left back that season before Ablett forced his way in. Bit of a glaring ommission no?

Would Spackman have been in the team has Whelan not been injured? No.

At once you describe it as our total football season, yet on the other hand you suggest our left back never got forward.

Then some drivel about whether or not Barnes and Houghton cut inside, or didn't cut inside or did or something non sensical.

Boring drivel yet again Whats next, you going to start calling me names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Oh how pedantic of you. What a bore.

You seem to have forgotten Barry Venison played at left back that season before Ablett forced his way in. Bit of a glaring ommission no?

Would Spackman have been in the team has Whelan not been injured? No.

At once you describe it as our total football season, yet on the other hand you suggest our left back never got forward.

Then some drivel about whether or not Barnes and Houghton cut inside, or didn't cut inside or did or something non sensical.

Boring drivel yet again Whats next, you going to start calling me names.

Could I interest you in a picture of a horse? :p

No need to call you names, your made up footballing knowledge paints a clearer picture than I could ever hope to.

As for Spackman not being in that team if Whelan was fit? That does not matter because Spackman was in that team for most of the season and Whelan was not. But you would not have known that because you never watched that team play.

And it was not me that came up with the "Total Football" tag for that season, that is what the season was called at the time and what the VHS released of the season was called. But again you would not have known that love as you are pretty clueless when it comes to Liverpool FC. Your anti Rafa rants in your old persona were proof enough of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

penis-measuring aside...

our 87/88 team ruled, but that was 22 years ago. i don't think Rafa was even thinking about it when setting up the team. i guarantee you it didn't cross his mind.

football has changed. the basic premise is exactly the same, but issues of player fitness, squad sizes, modern football egos, all play a part in management now, in a way that didn't play out as heavily, or in some cases at all, 15 years ago.

until Kenny proves me wrong (if he gets the job), i will be sceptical as to whether he can adapt.

SlickRic wrote: »
    penis-measuring aside...

our 87/88 team ruled, but that was 22 years ago. i don't think Rafa was even thinking about it when setting up the team. i guarantee you it didn't cross his mind.

football has changed. the basic premise is exactly the same, but issues of player fitness, squad sizes, modern football egos, all play a part in management now, in a way that didn't play out as heavily, or in some cases at all, 15 years ago.

until Kenny proves me wrong (if he gets the job), i will be sceptical as to whether he can adapt.

The jist of my argument was that formation wise, things haven't changed that much.

The quality of the players and the attitude they take onto the field is probably more important.

Kess73 wrote: »
    But you would not have known that because you never watched that team play.

I knew Barry Venison was in it. I'm tired of you now so go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Stumpy, try this a start to your footballing education;

http://www.zonalmarking.net/category/decade/tacticsin2000s/

These are only the most obvious, major changes that have taken place in the last 10 years.

Football has changed a hell of a lot just since 2000, let alone since the 1980s.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement