Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

SlickRic wrote: »
    penis-measuring aside...

our 87/88 team ruled, but that was 22 years ago. i don't think Rafa was even thinking about it when setting up the team. i guarantee you it didn't cross his mind.

football has changed. the basic premise is exactly the same, but issues of player fitness, squad sizes, modern football egos, all play a part in management now, in a way that didn't play out as heavily, or in some cases at all, 15 years ago.

until Kenny proves me wrong (if he gets the job), i will be sceptical as to whether he can adapt.

sure it is not even the same with so many changes to the offside rule and even the bloody back pass since 87/88

I would love Kenny to walk in and for it to work out. If i had my choice of the managers available it with be hitzfeld or maybe even van gaal. That would appeal to new owners rather than make them have to do anything else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Oh how pedantic of you. What a bore.

You seem to have forgotten Barry Venison played at left back that season before Ablett forced his way in. Bit of a glaring ommission no?

Would Spackman have been in the team has Whelan not been injured? No.

At once you describe it as our total football season, yet on the other hand you suggest our left back never got forward.

Then some drivel about whether or not Barnes and Houghton cut inside, or didn't cut inside or did or something non sensical.

Boring drivel yet again Whats next, you going to start calling me names.

:D

Time to give up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I knew Barry Venison was in it. I'm tired of you now so go away.

Yep it is no fun for you when people know that you are talking pure rubbish all the time.

But that's the thing with a public forum, if a person is posting total rubbish and making things up, then they can expect others to respond to them as I did to you.

My reply had no insults, and all it did was point out the made up stuff you had in it about the team you pretend to support. So be as tired as you like, if you keep spouting crap and making up stuff, expect to be called on it, if you don't like retorts then you should not give people reason to make them.

Stumpy, try this a start to your footballing education;

http://www.zonalmarking.net/category/decade/tacticsin2000s/

These are only the most obvious, major changes that have taken place in the last 10 years.

Football has changed a hell of a lot just since 2000, let alone since the 1980s.

Ahh now it is still pretty much the same bar fitness. She has already said that and it must be true.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Stumpy, try this a start to your footballing education;

http://www.zonalmarking.net/category/decade/tacticsin2000s/

These are only the most obvious, major changes that have taken place in the last 10 years.

Football has changed a hell of a lot just since 2000, let alone since the 1980s.

And quotes from Guardiola himself:

“I haven’t changed…my skills haven’t declined. It’s just that football now is different. It’s played at a higher pace and it’s a lot more physical. The tactics are different now, you have to be a ball-winner, a tackler, like Patrick Vieira or Edgar Davids. If you can pass too, well, that’s a bonus. But the emphasis, as far as central midfielders are concerned, is all on defensive work…players like me have become extinct.”

That was in 2004. And now – in 2010, the current European Champions at club level are led by one Pep Guardiola, who has instilled his very playing style into Barcelona. This season he has regularly played with three Guardiola-esque players in the centre of his midfield – Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta and Sergio Busquets (although Busquets is slightly more defensive-minded). Xavi and Iniesta also combined to make Spain the European Champions at international level. Just six years after Guardiola’s mentality was considered dead, it is now the way to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The likes of Guardiola, Mourinho, Rijkaard, Hughes and countless other young managers had a lot less experience than Kenny before making an impact on modern football. At least Kenny is starting from a solid foundation - you know, having won 4 league titles with two different clubs, qualified for the champions league, won cups, and played under two of the best managers the English game has seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Is there a point here? Football tactics have changed, Guardiola adapted and was successful. However, last season he was less successful - football has moved on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That was in 2004. And now – in 2010, the current European Champions at club level are led by one Pep Guardiola, who has instilled his very playing style into Barcelona. This season he has regularly played with three Guardiola-esque players in the centre of his midfield – Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta and Sergio Busquets (although Busquets is slightly more defensive-minded). Xavi and Iniesta also combined to make Spain the European Champions at international level. Just six years after Guardiola’s mentality was considered dead, it is now the way to play football.

Iniesta and Busquets are not Guardiola-type players.

that's the first problem with that analogy.

Xavi, fair enough, he's most certainly of that ilk.

Is there a point here? Football tactics have changed, Guardiola adapted and was successful. However, last season he was less successful - football has moved on again.

I doubt the validity of that website for a start. Its merely an opinion pice for some random person???

Secondly, tactics change all the time.

Thirdly, the tactics used by Mourinho are nothing new. Watch Bayern beat Leeds in 75.

Browsed through some of the stuff, all a bit dubious to me.

Iniesta and Busquets are not Guardiola-type players.

that's the first problem with that analogy.

Xavi, fair enough, he's most certainly of that ilk.

I just took all of that extract from the website. Certainly don't agree with any of it. But it seems to contradict that football has changed forever.

• Advertisement

I just took all of that extract from the website. Certainly don't agree with any of it. But it seems to contradict that football has changed forever.

that's fair enough.

as i said, the basis premise of football will always be the same.

but 15 years has seen an awful lot of changes; it would be foolish to suggest that this isn't a factor in hiring Kenny.

that's fair enough.

as i said, the basis premise of football will always be the same.

but 15 years has seen an awful lot of changes; it would be foolish to suggest that this isn't a factor in hiring Kenny.

Its most certainly a factor, all I would suggest is that it is not such a critical factor, that it precludes him from selection completely.

He's an intelligent man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa Benitez has donated about 100,000 to the Hillsborough Family Support Group today.

Also Roy to stay at Cottage story

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Just heard there Rafa gave a cheque of £96,000 to the Hillsborough Family Support group. What a fabulous gesture, a testament of the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Rafa gave 96k to the Hillsboro support group as he said his goodbyes today. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Lol

A touch of class. Well done Rafa.

What an absolute fúcking legend that man is

Just heard there Rafa gave a cheque of £96,000 to the Hillsborough Family Support group. What a fabulous gesture, a testament of the man

Also heard that it was not the only big donation he made in the city over tha last few days. Looks like he is giving a chunk of his pay off to some very worthwhile causes.

Classy gesture by the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Kess73 wrote: »
    Also heard that it was not the only big donation he made in the city over tha last few days. Looks like he is giving a chunk of his pay off to some very worthwhile causes.

Like an episode of Secret Millionaire!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

ya get 3 million for getting the club to finish 7th and then donate 96k of it to the hillsborough group.

WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That's a testament to the character of Rafa Benitez, fair fúcks it has to be said. They way things went down, he certainly deserved more respect than he got from the owners, but he'll always have a special place in LFC history.

*tips hat

Like an episode of Secret Millionaire!

Sounds like Alder Hey got a donation too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

slingerz wrote: »
    ya get 3 million for getting the club to finish 7th and then donate 96k of it to the hillsborough group.

WOW

After the way he was treated by the owners I wouldn't blame him for walking out of Liverpool with his 3million and holding onto every penny of it - he didn't have to give money to the charity, it was a selfless and generous act, you're above post reeks of narrow minded thinking and pettyness tbh

WOW

Jesus, if i didnt use this place to keep me sane over the summer id be banned in a few minutes. Christ almighty :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

WOW

96k is a huge boost to the support group. I am sure that Margaret and the rest there are not giving it a sarcastic wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

also wasnt it 6 in the end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Rafa is a legend

End.

Of.

Story.

also wasnt it 6 in the end...

Three, six, and seven were banded about in the press as the figure.

There was also some talk on local radio that the six million figure included the pay offs for three of Rafa's back room team as well as the pay off for Rafa.

But the media being what it is, no doubt the figure will shrink or grow depending on the slant the particular story needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The likes of Guardiola, Mourinho, Rijkaard, Hughes and countless other young managers had a lot less experience than Kenny before making an impact on modern football. At least Kenny is starting from a solid foundation - you know, having won 4 league titles with two different clubs, qualified for the champions league, won cups, and played under two of the best managers the English game has seen.

Fresh face, fresh ideas. Some succeed, others crash and burn. Some no doubt display a natural capacity for it but it's still always a gamble, there are so many unknowns.

Old face, lots of experience but lots of time out of the game. Will he innovate and adapt or will he attempt to just carry on as he did before. Some come back with hunger and passion, others remain stale and stuck to their old concepts *cough* Keegan *cough*.

Point is it's always a pretty sizable gamble when hiring someone outside of current management practice. It's an additional risk on top of the usual concerns. I'm not writing off Kenny, but Liverpool need to get back in the Champions league slots quickly for any potential sale. The game has changed dramatically since Kenny was in management last and I think he is just too much of an unknown quantity at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

WOW

and thats the winner of my patented Derp of the Day award

Kess73 wrote: »

i don't want to be part of any process canonising him or anything...

but by God, what a gesture by the man.

yes, he's a multi-millionaire.

but, bottom line, he did not need to give any money to anyone.

anybody who says that over the years he simply pulls the heartstrings of the fans with his 'You'll Never Walk Alones' and his repetition of his love for the fans, in order to get onside with us, and not because he genuinely loves the club and city, well, they can can just go f*ck themselves to be honest.

i don't care how much some dislike his style, demeanour, stand-offish-ness, and how he's 'useless' or whatever else...the man, as a human being, is a class apart.

thank you Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he's an incredible man. he just is. the way he was treated by our board, owners and some of our fans genuinely has me sick to my stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I must say, I thought throughout his career at Liverpool that Rafa pulled on the fans heart-strings in order to strength his position, but that is just a lovely selfless gesture which really should be applauded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

PHB wrote: »
    I must say, I thought throughout his career at Liverpool that Rafa pulled on the fans heart-strings in order to strength his position, but that is just a lovely selfless gesture which really should be applauded.

I can understand how it came across that way but I never doubted the man's love for the club

If he wasn't truly passionate about the place there is no way he would have put up with the way he was being treated for so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Feck the begrudgers. If he'd donated nothing, it wouldn't even enter the begrudgers mind as an issue. Now he did, it isn't enough!

Dalglish would be risky. People would need to give him time to settle in, not something that is in abundance with many Pool fans at the minute.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The amount is hugely significant as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

WOW
    Holy Christ. Are you 12?

A fantastic gesture. The man deserves his place among the greats at our football club. What a loss for our team he will be.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

To the one or two ignorant people in the audience, Rafa made a private donation to HFSG. Such was the emotional impact of his unselfish act, members of the commitee decided to let a few people know of his actions. It would also seem he went on a whistlestop tour of Liverpool making similar gestures, most of which will be kept 'private' as he has requested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

The next manager will have big shoes to fill both on and off the field. Legend, miss the man already and as a mark to the legacy he left I'm off to get an inter milan jersey this week. Thanks for everything Rafa you will never be forgotten here at least. YNWA. Wayne C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I wonder how many pages wil be taken up in the tabloids about rafas generosity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm guessing zero in the nationals. Doesn't fit in with their agenda and how they wish to portray the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Dalgish best days are behind him...............LFC need to look outside the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I can see a new breed of inter Milan supporters being formed, no mater if you loved or hated tafa gurantee yous will all look out for inters results every week.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'm guessing zero in the nationals. Doesn't fit in with their agenda and how they wish to portray the man.

if it's not reported at all, we don't need any more proof of the media's agenda to be honest.

i'll optimistically hold out, and hope to be proved wrong though.

'ex-manager let go by club donates part of pay-off money to Hillsborough charity'.

if that's not a story, i struggle to see what is.

If they do it will be with a negative spin. It was bordering on racist the way in which he was treated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

'ex-manager let go by club donates part of pay-off money to Hillsborough charity'.

if that's not a story, i struggle to see what is.

On the day of the World Cup starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't really post in here that much anymore for a few reasons but i have to say that contribution by Benitez deserves to be acknowledged. He truly is a legend and deserves to be considered one of the great Liverpool managers.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    On the day of the World Cup starting?

i don't expect top story news.

i'm not delusional.

but i'd expect it to be mentioned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement