Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Tactics not important in the PL ?

Very naive. What age are you?

I said tactics are not as important. Read the text properly before spouting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

When will the upheavel start at United when the glazers realise Ferguson has been wasting their money on **** players?

what rock have you been under for the past six years?

The Muppet wrote: »
    what rock have you been under for the past six years?

The one that hit Ferguson in the head when he spent 80 million on Berbatov, Carrick, Anderson and Nani. But thats for the United thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

.... Nani. But thats for the United thread.
    Now... Nani was much improved this season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

101001 wrote: »
    Now... Nani was much improved this season...

That he was..

The one that hit Ferguson in the head when he spent 80 million on Berbatov, Carrick, Anderson and Nani. But thats for the United thread.

Shall we compare lists.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yeah, in a Liverpool V United - my willy is bigger than yours thread :rolleyes:

Yeah, in a Liverpool V United - my willy is bigger than yours thread :rolleyes:

You're right , lets get back on topic.

Rafa really did waste a lot of money on dross didn't he.

It'd be like a game of Top Trumps. I'll play Andriy Voronnin, you top me with Eric Djemba Djemba!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yep, like Torres, Masch, Johnson, Reina etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

please don't start this.

Rafa bought gold, as well as buying sh*te.

next.

Ah now we can all have a laugh at some of the signings that didn't work out. All managers have clangers in the transfer market!

Benitez worst must surely be Keane, what a disaster he was.

Ferguson, Veron, say no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

I'd say all liverpool fans have an expectation to win the league, He shouldn't have promised 4th if he wasn't up to delivering it. When he got the job Liverpool had a five year plan to land the title. He didn't deliver in fact the team went backwards last season and him saying he needed another £80 million to be able to launch a challenge next season showed he had lost the plot..

what? :confused:

id say fúck all liverpool fans have an expectation to win the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

event wrote: »

Just a few on this thread, they do exist.

Madness isn't it?

Personally, I wanted a title challenge last season. Being up there with United and Chelsea.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Not entirely true. Plenty of people on here thought Liverpool had as good a chance of winning the league as Arsenal, Chelsea and United at the start of the season. The opinions of those who said we overperformed last year were laughed at by many (until mid-season in fact).

"Expected" would be a strong word but most did think we would do as good if not better than the previous year, which is close to expecting to win the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

No more or less compared to other managers. Transfers are usually hit and miss tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Well now TBH I start every season thinking Liverpool are going to the win the league. But I don't expect it. I don't know if that makes sense. I figured every supporter starts the season thinking their team is gonna win the league but they know, really, logistically, heart of hearts its not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

101001 wrote: »
    Well now TBH I start every season thinking Liverpool are going to the win the league. But I don't expect it. I don't know if that makes sense. I figured every supporter starts the season thinking their team is gonna win the league but they know, really, logistically, heart of hearts its not going to happen.

Hopes & Expectations Hey ? ... One of lifes trials .

Hopes & Expectations are no different from the fan to the club manager.

Rafa goes out and buys a player , hopes he does well expects a certain level .
    50% Rafa 50% Player (Hope and expectation) .
    Sometimes it works = sucessful player , great signing.
    Sometimes it fails = crap performance , bad signing .

All managers get it right and wrong. You could debate til you die on who is better but all in all everyone makes mistakes .

No different for any manager , player or fan .

That's Life !

At the start of last season I expected us to contend for the League. Having finished runners up the previous season, the additions of Johnson and Aquilani, United lost Ronaldo, Chelsea seemed to be ageing. So I expected a challenge and hoped we'd win it.

It was very disappointing.

Apologies, I should have said all Liverpool fans "had" an expectation to win the league(at the start of last season), it was a pretty short lived one I grant you but it did exist.

• Advertisement

Mister men wrote: »
    No more or less compared to other managers. Transfers are usually hit and miss tbh.

The no more of less compared to other managers is very debateable, Rafa spent more than most in his tenure to finish seventh in the league in his last season with an overall poor squad with little or no strength in depth.

Apologies, I should have said all Liverpool fans "had" an expectation to win the league(at the start of last season), it was a pretty short lived one I grant you but it did exist.

Expectation is not the word. That suggests we thought it was a foregone conclusion, lets just say we had more belief we could have done it last season than at any time in the last 10 years.

Conversely with the right managerial appointment and keeping our main players, I think we can expect to finish in the top four this season coming. We're better than 7th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The no more of less compared to other managers is very debateable, Rafa spent more than most in his tenure to finish seventh in the league in his last season with an overall poor squad with little or no strength in depth.

Round and round

.... And now back to the start .

Expectation is not the word. That suggests we thought it was a foregone conclusion, lets just say we had more belief we could have done it last season than at any time in the last 10 years.

Conversely with the right managerial appointment and keeping our main players, I think we can expect to finish in the top four this season coming. We're better than 7th.

The league table never lies , remember:)

The gap between 4th and 7th was pretty small , with the right appointments I wouldn't write you off for the top 4 next season. It remains to be seen how all the teams strengthen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

The 10m being spent to get rid of Rafa and get Roy is possibly being wasted. I feel that you might has well left Rafa in place and spent the 10m on a left back or midfielder.

Why would anyone want to give 10 million to Benitez?! He has a track record of spending large sums of money on mediocre players to warm the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Ardent wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to give 10 million to Benitez?! He has a track record of spending large sums of money on mediocre players to warm the bench.

Don't speculate. Name them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

10m to replace Benitez with Roy. Good jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Don't speculate. Name them.

Babel, Keane, Dossena, Aquilani, Rieira, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Keane and Dossena are the only two on that list who were bad buys. You just just as easily list, reina,johnson,agger,kyriakos,skrtel,aurelio,arbeloa,kuyt,garcia,alonso,sissoko,mascherano,lucas,benayoun,maxi,bellamy,crouch,torres etc etc as examples of why you may be better off giving Rafa a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ardent wrote: »
    Babel, Keane, Dossena, Aquilani, Rieira, etc etc.

By all means keep going.

And depending on who you believe, Keane wasn't his signing at £20m.

• Advertisement

Is etc etc in the same world cup squad as Djemba Djemba? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Is etc etc in the same world cup squad as Djemba Djemba? :confused:

No, Etc Etc plays with The Abbreviations. Has a great partnership with Et Al. They are gonna take the world cup by storm.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    By all means keep going.

Mark Gonzalez, Leto, Krompkamp, Gabriel Paletta, Jermaine Pennant, Fernando Morientes, Scott Carson, Pellegrino, Antonion Nunez.

Not as bad a record as some make out. I'd say it was about 50/50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mark Gonzalez, Leto, Krompkamp, Gabriel Paletta, Jermaine Pennant, Fernando Morientes, Scott Carson, Pellegrino, Antonion Nunez.

Not as bad a record as some make out. I'd say it was about 50/50.

And bar Morientes and Pennant, the lot of them cost less than £6m. Hell, Nunez and Pellegrino were on a free. I'm pretty sure Kromkamp, Palletta and Gonzalez cost in and around £3m and less.

And bar Morientes and Pennant, the lot of them cost less than £6m. Hell, Nunez and Pellegrino were on a free. I'm pretty sure Kromkamp, Palletta and Gonzalez cost in and around £3m and less.

Yeah thats true, their still poor signings though.

My biggest problem with him was why he sold Warnock, Crouch, Bellamy, Pongolle, Murphy and obviuosly Alonso but thats complicated I know.

Yeah thats true, their still poor signings though.

My biggest problem with him was why he sold Warnock, Crouch, Bellamy, Pongolle, Murphy and obviuosly Alonso but thats complicated I know.

I don't understand why there is still confusion as to why Rafa sold Warnock, Crouch, Bellamy, Pongolle and Murphy at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't understand why there is still confusion as to why Rafa sold Warnock, Crouch, Bellamy, Pongolle and Murphy at the time.

There isn't to anyone who follows or knows anything about LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Its all about perspective i suppose.

It could easily be argued that after 6 seasons we have the likes of masch playing at right back on occasions. Agger at left back. Not even the players like degen or dossena are/were either good enough or fit enough to take some of the load off the first team and keep it ticking over.

Rafa has only brought one player to the club in the attacking half for a designated position and made it his own, torres.

On the flip side, reina, agger, skrtel were very astute buys imo. The top end money was paid for masch and johnson.

Overall, i think rafas ethos reflected in his 'flair' or supposedly positions of flair signings. Basically, he couldnt find people good enough to come in and make a difference (create for torres). The wide players have never been good enough for any length of time that you could say, 'its his position'. The result is predictability and that reflects in our results. Unable or not clever enough to hurt fullbacks. The one man who has gile on the ball, bennyoun, has become a bit part player.....again.

Sure, thats a tough thing to master in a 4231 formation, but, and this is my honest opinion, rafa was too stubborn (or whatever way you want to describe it) to mix it up. Im struggling to think of one occassion where a defender or midfielder was sacrificed by bringing on another attacker to search for the 3 points. There probably are occasions but far from enough imo.

By all means keep going.

I'd believe Rafa who said Keane was on his list of players to sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I just don't see it as a sensible footballing decision and really do think that it is personal and the owners just wanted an excuse to sack him.

I can't understand why Liverpool fans are being blinkered about his sacking.

Yes, he ought to have stayed in an ideal world, but not with those two lads in charge. How was he supposed to manage properly?

This isn't a sleight on Benitez' managerial credentials; the siutation and the circumstances created by G&H made it very diffiicult for him to do his job to the best of his abilities.

This thread has gone to the dogs.

Robbie Keane? Holy jaysus

Yes, he ought to have stayed in an ideal world, but not with those two lads in charge. How was he supposed to manage properly?

This isn't a sleight on Benitez' managerial credentials; the siutation and the circumstances created by G&H made it very diffiicult for him to do his job to the best of his abilities.

While you are calling me blinkered, you seem to actually have an identical stance to mine.

This thread has gone to the dogs.

Robbie Keane? Holy jaysus

Aye, Boggles was only part of the problem.

To generate funds I know. Had Crouch been handled better he'd still be at the club, he would have been very useful this season.

Is Insua better than Warnock? No. N'Gog better than Pongolle, No. Murphy funded the purchase of Alonso I'll give you. Bellamy was handled badly.

The single biggest mistake he made was letting Alonso go. And while the signing of Johnson may prove worthwhile, why the **** did we need to spend the best part of 20 million on a right back. And forget about the "Crouch paid for most of it". That doesn't wash.

Stumpypeeps,

You claim to be a Liverpool fan and are registered since October yet only started posting in the sf a few days ago, and have since posted at an astonishing rate :confused:

Hmmm...

• Advertisement

Come on lads, just leave it. Has been done to death.

Stumpypeeps,

You claim to be a Liverpool fan and are registered since October yet only started posting in the sf a few days ago, and have since posted at an astonishing rate :confused:

Hmmm...

I'm off work with an injury and largely stuck inside. Who are you to question anyone? I started supporting Liverpool in the early eighties. You have no authority to question me. Judging from your infantile fanatacism for Benitez I doubt you have much insight on football matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Stumpypeeps,

Hmmm...

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Keane and Dossena are the only two on that list who were bad buys. You just just as easily list, reina,johnson,agger,kyriakos,skrtel,aurelio,arbeloa,kuyt,garcia,alonso,sissoko,mascherano,lucas,benayoun,maxi,bellamy,crouch,torres etc etc as examples of why you may be better off giving Rafa a few quid.

bull****

I'm not quite sure the point you are trying to make?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement