Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You're wrong there tbh.

I've been critical of him on many many occasions.

Jesus christ, we had this exact argument yesterday.

Now to press a button I should have a few day ago....

Its not the first time you've attempted to question my motives.

If someone does not share the same opinions as you that does not mean they have ulterior motives.

Grow up a little. Now hopefully thats the last I have to hear from you and your silly little ideas.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

best of luck Stevie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Stumpypeeps,

You claim to be a Liverpool fan and are registered since October yet only started posting in the sf a few days ago, and have since posted at an astonishing rate :confused:

Hmmm...

What a sad post.

To generate funds I know. Had Crouch been handled better he'd still be at the club, he would have been very useful this season.

Is Insua better than Warnock? No. N'Gog better than Pongolle, No. Murphy funded the purchase of Alonso I'll give you. Bellamy was handled badly.

The single biggest mistake he made was letting Alonso go. And while the signing of Johnson may prove worthwhile, why the **** did we need to spend the best part of 20 million on a right back. And forget about the "Crouch paid for most of it". That doesn't wash.

I agree 100% with you.

I really felt that Crouch was treated bizarrely and had no option but to leave to get regular football again. We really could have done with him over the past couple of seasons.

I also agree that, while Johnson adds attacking flair to the team, we really didn't need to spend 18 mill on a full back. The money would have been much better spent on another quality forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

To generate funds I know. Had Crouch been handled better he'd still be at the club, he would have been very useful this season.

Is Insua better than Warnock? No. N'Gog better than Pongolle, No. Murphy funded the purchase of Alonso I'll give you. Bellamy was handled badly.

The single biggest mistake he made was letting Alonso go. And while the signing of Johnson may prove worthwhile, why the **** did we need to spend the best part of 20 million on a right back. And forget about the "Crouch paid for most of it". That doesn't wash.

Tbh this posts highlights how clueless you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I disagree with half the points in the post but to dismiss the poster as clueless because of it is the sort of thing I have come to expect from you.

This post higlights how classless and pathetic you are.

Ardent wrote: »
    You should really provide an explanation for this statement before you get reported to the mods.

While your on your reporting buzz I guess you'll be reporting the post two down from me as well now
    noodler wrote: »
    I disagree with half the points in the post but to dismiss the poster as clueless because of it is the sort of thing I have come to expect from you.

Oh don't worry, it's not just that post. It's 90% of his other posts as well.
    This post higlights how classless and pathetic you are.

boo hoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I agree 100% with you.

I really felt that Crouch was treated bizarrely and had no option but to leave to get regular football again. We really could have done with him over the past couple of seasons.

I also agree that, while Johnson adds attacking flair to the team, we really didn't need to spend 18 mill on a full back. The money would have been much better spent on another quality forward.

You know right well that Portsmouth owed us a significant amount of money. You know right well that we still wouldn't have got that money from them. Ultimately, Johnson did cost 18m but we were never going to see 7 or 8 million of that money.

We got a very good home grown full back out of it in the end. Was there an equally capable home grown right full back available for 10 million at the time? No, there wasn't as far as I can remember.

You have got your way, Rafa is no longer at the club. There is no need to post biased nonsense anymore.

While your on your reporting buzz I guess you'll be reporting the post two down from me as well now

Oh don't worry, it's not just that post. It's 90% of his other posts as well.

boo hoo.

Thats the thing about football, we're all allowed to have opinions. You don't need to start personal abuse should someone not share yours. It only highlights a lack of intelligence.

Put me on your ignore list like Rarnes1, that other bastion of reason.

• Advertisement

You know right well that Portsmouth owed us a significant amount of money. You know right well that we still wouldn't have got that money from them. Ultimately, Johnson did cost 18m but we were never going to see 7 or 8 million of that money.

We know that now. No-one knew that then.

Thats the thing about football, we're all allowed to have opinions. You don't need to start personal abuse should someone not share yours. It only highlights a lack of intelligence.

Put me on your ignore list like Rarnes1, that other bastion of reason.

I never personal abused you though. I said you clueless, which you are. If I call you a clueless c*nt then I can see the personal abuse, but I didn't. I'd hazard a guess your post would be considered more along of the lines of personal abuse then mine. I don't want to put you on ignore though, I'd miss the comedy value from your posts.

Maybe the club was aware of Portsmouths financial difficulties? Just because it wasn't in the press, doesn't mean it wasn't known within footballing circles.

I work in the telecoms industry and there is quite a bit I know about what competitors are at months before the press find out for example.

We really don't have a clue like. It has worked out so well for us that it would be amazing luck if it was all by accident.

Maybe the club was aware of Portsmouths financial difficulties? Just because it wasn't in the press, doesn't mean it wasn't known within footballing circles.

I work in the telecoms industry and there is quite a bit I know about what competitors are at months before the press find out for example.

We really don't have a clue like. It has worked out so well for us that it would be amazing luck if it was all by accident.

Pity we couldn't just have gotten crouch back!!!

Pity we couldn't just have gotten crouch back!!!

Going by how fond Rafa was of him, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried.

Would love Crouch at the club still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I didn't see the england match, what were the pool players like?

People on twitter seem to saying Gerrard had a great game, surely this can't be the Steven Gerrard of Liverpool, can it? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

He got their goal and was one of their better players in an otherwise terrible performance. Glen was decent, defended well and provided excellent support up the flank as usual. Carra came on for King and got the run around treatment, and got booked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Benzino wrote: »
    I didn't see the england match, what were the pool players like?

People on twitter seem to saying Gerrard had a great game, surely this can't be the Steven Gerrard of Liverpool, can it? :pac:

Gerrard had some great moments but continued to hammer in the nail that he has no idea how to play centre midfield

Jamie was far less effective than King.

Gerrard was ok when driving forward and defending but he was lost in the middle of the pitch when the defenders had the ball and needed an outlet - he doesn't seem capable moving into space and looking for the ball.

Johnson was pretty good overall and a lot more threatening going forward than either winger.

• Advertisement

I'll do the nice thing and answer this post properly. Firstly, how would you have handled crouch better? Promise him he'd get his game ahead of Torres? Pick him ahead of Torres maybe?

The post is so short sighted and blinkered. You could have picked far better examples but for some reason you compared a player we sold 4 years ago to our current second stringer. :confused: Just highlights how fantastic hindsight can be. Warnock was 3rd choice left back back in January 2007 behind Risse and Aurelio. Selling your third choice LB for £2.5m can never be a bad bit of business. I'd understand if you said Risse, but using Warnock as a example is just strange.

It gets stranger though when you bring up Sinama Pognolle. He was sold four years ago. Since then we've had Bellamy, Crouch and Keane come and go yet Pognolle is the answer to our problems? Not only that but Ngog goal scoring record is better at Liverpool then Pognolles was. He's hardly set the world alight since he left either.

He didn't let Alonso go, Alonso wanted to leave. I certainly don't think Fergie let Ronaldo go and it's not looking like Wenger has decided Fabregas isn't good enough for Arsenal that he's happy to let him go to Barca.
    Splainc wrote: »
    Gerrard had some great moments but continued to hammer in the nail that he has no idea how to play centre midfield

This is what scares me about Kenny being boss. After the game the various English media sites went on about how good he was and I'd be worried he would get sucked into believing that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Gerrard was ok when driving forward and defending but he was lost in the middle of the pitch when the defenders had the ball and needed an outlet - he doesn't seem capable moving into space and looking for the ball.

even worse than that he was left in space loads of times but does not seem to even want the ball and on the rare occasion he ended up with it he either played it straight back to the defender and ran forward or tried a defence splitting pass which was cut out. Lampard seemed to realise what was up between the 60-75 minute mark and kept coming back for the ball and this was englands best spell. he simply stopped doing it and they looked terrible again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

i think Stumpypeeps, Rarnes1, and Chucky the tree , should hold hands and dance to this :D

that same thing is a league title !:D

I'll do the nice thing and answer this post properly. Firstly, how would you have handled crouch better? Promise him he'd get his game ahead of Torres? Pick him ahead of Torres maybe?

Too many times when Crouch had performed well he found himself on the bench the next game. That to me seemed where most of Crouch's frustration came from. He was given little chance up front with Torres.
    The post is so short sighted and blinkered. You could have picked far better examples but for some reason you compared a player we sold 4 years ago to our current second stringer. :confused: Just highlights how fantastic hindsight can be. Warnock was 3rd choice left back back in January 2007 behind Risse and Aurelio. Selling your third choice LB for £2.5m can never be a bad bit of business. I'd understand if you said Risse, but using Warnock as a example is just strange.
    Warnock performed well for Liverpool at full back, I didn't see why he needed to be sold. He was a local lad too. He has since cemented a place at Left back with Villa and made the England squad. He was a good prospect and should have stayed ahead of Aurelio and Riise.
    It gets stranger though when you bring up Sinama Pognolle. He was sold four years ago. Since then we've had Bellamy, Crouch and Keane come and go yet Pognolle is the answer to our problems? Not only that but Ngog goal scoring record is better at Liverpool then Pognolles was. He's hardly set the world alight since he left either.

Pongolle was just an example of someone who was never given a proper chance under Benitez and who has since achieved relative success playing with Recreativo, Atletico Madrid and now Sporting Lisbon. I'm making a general point that Benitez had a record of letting players leave and replacing them with poorer players. I accept Pongolle and N'Gog aren't a direct comparison. But I think Pongolle should have been given a better crack at it and is a better player than N'gog.
    He didn't let Alonso go, Alonso wanted to leave. I certainly don't think Fergie let Ronaldo go and it's not looking like Wenger has decided Fabregas isn't good enough for Arsenal that he's happy to let him go to Barca.

I think if Benitez admitted to making one big mistake it would be his pursuit of Gareth Barry, who's rubbish, at the expense of Alonso. That pushed Alonso out. The loss of Alonso was catastrophic. We replaced him with Aquilani, who wasn't given enough game time once fit and has so far proven a terrile signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

This is what scares me about Kenny being boss. After the game the various English media sites went on about how good he was and I'd be worried he would get sucked into believing that.

Pongolle was a good little player. He may not be setting the world alight (ngog is?) but he was top scorer in his spanish team and went on to be sold for a nice profit to athletico. Infact him and bellamy were sold for 10mil more than we sold them for since they left us. The amount of personell upfront and around them to come and go should tell you plenty about benitez ability to sign players in those areas. Basically, not good.

• Advertisement

Too many times when Crouch had performed well he found himself on the bench the next game. That to me seemed where most of Crouch's frustration came from. He was given little chance up front with Torres.

He was never going to play up front with Torres though. We rarely played with two strikers. He was offered a new contract, he wanted regular first team football though. Not much you can do in that situation. He simply isn't good enough to start ahead of Torres or good enough to alter our formation just for him
    Warnock performed well for Liverpool at full back, I didn't see why he needed to be sold. He was a local lad too. He has since cemented a place at Left back with Villa and made the England squad. He was a good prospect and should have stayed ahead of Aurelio and Riise.

He was a solid squad player, that's it. He's not even that good now to be honest. I certainly would'nt have him ahead of Aurelio or Riise.

Pongolle was just an example of someone who was never given a proper chance under Benitez and who has since achieved relative success playing with Recreativo, Atletico Madrid and now Sporting Lisbon. I'm making a general point that Benitez had a record of letting players leave and replacing them with poorer players. I accept Pongolle and N'Gog aren't a direct comparison. But I think Pongolle should have been given a better crack at it and is a better player than N'gog.

Relative success? He top scored with 12 goals in one season for a mid-table Spainish team. At Madrid he scored 5 goals in 30 games, hardly stunning. He was replaced with poorer players? We signed Bellamy and Dirk Kuyt in summer 2006 and then sold Pongolle in August. Personally I think Kuyt and Bellamy are both far better players then Pongolle, obviously you disagree though.
    I think if Benitez admitted to making one big mistake it would be his pursuit of Gareth Barry, who's rubbish, at the expense of Alonso. That pushed Alonso out. The loss of Alonso was catastrophic. We replaced him with Aquilani, who wasn't given enough game time once fit and has so far proven a terrile signing.

lol, the jokes don't stop I see. Barry is rubbish? He's in the England squad sure, a point you were happy to use for Warnock to big him up. Losing Alonso was huge and Aquilani situation didn't help, he's most definitely not a terrible signing though.

Lets analyse the legacy of players Benitez has left at the club.

Reina, best keeper in the Premiership by a mile.

Johnson, not sure we needed a 18 Million right back but he's an excellent one.
    Insua, awful.
    Agger, top drawer defender.
    Skrtel, gone backwards in the last year, hopefully he improves.
    Krygiakos, solidish.

Mascherano, wonderful judgement by Benitez to take him from West Ham but will leave this summer.
    Lucas, jury out.
    Kuyt, excellent signing if a little limited, but great team player.
    Benayoun, good player but was leaving had Rafa stayed.
    Babel, atrocious.
    Riera, fell out with Benitez but good wide player imo.
    Maxi, Excellent little player.

N'gog, too lightweight so far.
    El Zhar, awful.
    Aquilani, debatable.
    Torres, best striker in Europe. Benitez best signing.

Jesus looking through that wouldn't fill anyone with a lot of hope, would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rafa didn't know £60 Million would be used to pay of debt either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

From reading your assessment of each player, I cant figure out how you have concluded that he has left us in a poor position.

From reading your assessment of each player, I cant figure out how you have concluded that he has left us in a poor position.

Mascherano will leave so that leaves us with Lucas, Gerrard and Aquilani for midfield.
    Thats a worry. Left back is a major concern. Up front we only have Torres. Should he leave heaven forbid. As for Gerrard leaving, we'd be in serious trouble.

Even if they all stay the squad is threadbare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Mascherano will leave so that leaves us with Lucas, Gerrard and Aquilani for midfield.
    Thats a worry. Left back is a major concern. Up front we only have Torres. Should he leave heaven forbid. As for Gerrard leaving, we'd be in serious trouble.

Why will Mascherano leave? Why could Torres leave? And why could Gerrard leave?

NGog has potential, Pongolle never delivered on his. That's the big difference. Was he not sold at a loss? NGog would go for a profit now.

There is more too it than NGog bad, Pongolle decent.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

So, to sum up:

Good Buys
    Reina
    Agger
    Krygiakos
    Masch
    Kuyt
    Benni
    Riera
    Maxi
    Torres
    Skrtel (I consider him a good buy, wasn't his best season, but everyone was poor anyway)
    Lucas (He's been solid for us in recent seasons, constantly improving. Wouldn't class him as a bad buy, but he hasn't set the world alight either)

Total: 11

Bad Buys
    N'gog
    El Zhar
    Babel
    Insua

Total: 4

Maybe/Too soon to judge
    Johnson
    Aquilani

Total: 2

Thats good imo. I personally would also put Johnson into the good buy category.

The 4 bad buys were all young players when we signed them (and therefore not too pricey, besides Babel), and these sort of players can go either way to be honest, some turn out good, others don't fill their potential. Also, I do think Babel is a good player, he has acted more professional since christmas, and I think there is still a future for him at the club if the new manager gives him a chance.

The probability of Masch staying was far higher while Rafa was at the club.

The owners have made the decision to reduce the wage bill. This was always going to lead to the squad getting smaller, thus ultimately being weakened.

Neither are exactly an indictment of Rafa's tenure at the club.

Why will Mascherano leave? Why could Torres leave? And why could Gerrard leave?

Mascherano's family have never settled on Merseyside, read an interview with him saying how difficult it is for them as they have been unabale/unwilling to learn the language. The weather food etc... I think he will definitely leave, he was so close to it last year.

Torres may decide to leave because of the lack of ambition shown by the club. Unless serious investment is put into the playing staff. Gerrard likewise.

I'm not sure either will leave but I wouldn't be %100 confident.

The probability of Masch staying was far higher while Rafa was at the club.

The owners have made the decision to reduce the wage bill. This was always going to lead to the squad getting smaller, thus ultimately being weakened.

Neither are exactly an indictment of Rafa's tenure at the club.

Believe it or not I'm not trying to bash Rafa. I'm just having an objective look back at his tenure.
    He's done much more positive things for the club than negative.

But the squad thats their at the minute is pretty poor. Unfortunately Benitez has to take some of the blame. He had £40 million to spend last summer.

Mascherano's family have never settled on Merseyside, read an interview with him saying how difficult it is for them as they have been unabale/unwilling to learn the language. The weather food etc... I think he will definitely leave, he was so close to it last year.

Torres may decide to leave because of the lack of ambition shown by the club. Unless serious investment is put into the playing staff. Gerrard likewise.

If they do leave, it kind of makes the "dressing room unrest" stuff kind of pointless and stupid

Why are the above factors not considered when wondering why the players looked completely disinterested at various parts of season or effectively "downed tools"?

Three of our best players, three of the best players in the world in their respective positions, all wanting to leave the club because of the clubs lack of ambition is the manager loosing the dressing room.

K-9 wrote: »
    If they do leave, it kind of makes the "dressing room unrest" stuff kind of pointless and stupid

I hope they take some responsibilty and do whats best for the club for the season coming.

I obviously have no categorical proof but I do believe they had a hand in Benitez leaving so their is a moral obligation on them. Thats no guarantee of anything though of course.

Believe it or not I'm not trying to bash Rafa. I'm just having an objective look back at his tenure.
    He's done much more positive things for the club than negative.

But the squad thats their at the minute is pretty poor. Unfortunately Benitez has to take some of the blame. He had £40 million to spend last summer.

Oh ok, I misunderstood the first and last lines of your post.
    Lets analyse the legacy of players Benitez has left at the club.

• Advertisement

Why are the above factors not considered when wintering why the players looked completely disinterested at various parts of season or effectively "downed tools"?

Three of our best players, three of the best players in the world in their respective, all wanting to leave the club because of the clubs lack of ambition is the manager loosing the dressing room.

I'm sure that was a huge factor in everything. But had the senior players been fully behind Benitez I'm not so sure he'd be at Inter now. I'm guessing.

I am happy with Johnson. I suspect Aquilani will work out but 12 months too late ultimately.

I am happy with Johnson. I suspect Aquilani will work out but 12 months too late ultimately.

I'm pretty happy with both, but unfortunately might have been better spent on a partner for Torres.

I'm pretty happy with both, but unfortunately might have been better spent on a partner for Torres.

In retrospect, that is without doubt.

A point that I never see discussed is the changes that occurred at the club in the time between Rafa signing his new contract and being allowed to spend 18m on a full back to the majority of the Keane and Alonso transfer fees being handed over to RBS and the clubs new policy being to cut the wage bill.

I fully suspect that before RBS demanded that 60m be paid, there was a chunk of money available to spend on a player. I assume that player would have been a striker as despite being quite stubborn, he knew that we were weak up top and signing Keane was an indication of that - despite that transfer being a failure.

I have only ever seen the effect of the above having on morale once in any of the papers too. I think it was the Guardian who basically said that the season was basically over at that point.

i think current owners will do their best to sell Torres and Gerrard this summer, :eek:

I hope they take some responsibilty and do whats best for the club for the season coming.

I obviously have no categorical proof but I do believe they had a hand in Benitez leaving so their is a moral obligation on them. Thats no guarantee of anything though of course.

Rather pointless if they are going to leave anyway. Shows you the loyalty they have to the club? No? The manager is gone now. Why would they go?
    In retrospect, that is without doubt.

A point that I never see discussed is the changes that occurred at the club in the time between Rafa signing his new contract and being allowed to spend 18m on a full back to the majority of the Keane and Alonso transfer fees being handed over to RBS and the clubs new policy being to cut the wage bill.

I fully suspect that before RBS demanded that 60m be paid, there was a chunk of money available to spend on a player. I assume that player would have been a striker as despite being quite stubborn, he knew that we were weak up top and signing Keane was an indication of that - despite that transfer being a failure.

+1. I don't believe Rafa would have bought Johnson without thinking considerable extra funds were available from the Alonso sale. It makes no sense.

He bought Johnson and I think he expected the Alonso fee of £30 Milion to be fully available, in addition to Johnson.

He expected, at a minimum, £48 Million or thereabouts of spending with Alonso going for £30 Million odd.

In summary, Rafa expected about £18 Million of a transfer spend. Not an unreasonable assumption considering we lost Alonso.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Christ on a bike. 40m to spend last summer???

Johnson and Aquilani were bought precisely because they were players specifically where a deal could be done which involved bugger all of a cash outlay. Ignore this if you wish, but Rafa was NOT handed 40m cash last summer, and not all top players are available with the deal structures that liverpool got for the pair.

Is anyone interested in buying or have already bought a share in ShareLiverpoolFC?

For those who don't know the details or don't know what I'm on about
    http://www.shareliverpoolfc.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Is anyone interested in buying or have already bought a share in ShareLiverpoolFC?

No mate but if you do buy any give this fella a call and tell him how his brother can go about getting his hands on 600 milion worth ;)

images?q=tbn%3AHUUa8LcqeojLFM%3A%3Aoffthepost.wordpress.com%2F2008%2F09%2F01%2Fa-name-change-for-manchester-city-come-on-abu-dhabi-united%2F&t=1&usg=AFrqEzfOLLRTYDYHRhx4w-XRHsqxF94avw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't want to put you on ignore though, I'd miss the comedy value from your posts.

Speaking of Comedy Value, I find the number of Liverpool fans that appear to be brainwashed by Rafa very funny.

Rafa has left you with argueably the weakest squad you have every had ,playing crap football, a divided dressing room, out of the Champions league, Seventh in the League having won feck all in his time despite spending an absolute fortune on players (outspent only by Chelsea and City) and you call a fellow fan that criticises him "clueless".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement