Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Muppet wrote: »
    Speaking of Comedy Value, I find the number of Liverpool fans that appear to be brainwashed by Rafa very funny.

Rafa has left you with argueably the weakest squad you have every had ,playing crap football, a divided dressing room, out of the Champions league, Seventh in the League having won feck all in his time despite spending an absolute fortune on players (outspent only by Chelsea and City) and you call a fellow fan that criticises him "clueless".

Ah come on! Win feck all? Two major trophies is better than zero.

I'm always middle of ther road here but clueless does not describe Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sure none of it was true was it? Brainwashed I tell you. Rafa should start a Cult, he'd make a fortune.;)

He should actually, charities can always do with extra money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

noodler wrote: »
    Ah come on! Win feck all? Two major trophies is better than zero.

I'm always middle of ther road here but clueless does not describe Rafa.

I wasn't describing Rafa as Clueless. Stumpypeeps was discribed as clueless for criticisng Rafa, I think Stumpys criticism is warranted for the reason's I stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

remind me why you were banned from this forum for a few years Muppet, twas before my time.

I wasn't describing Rafa as Clueless. Stumpypeeps was discribed as clueless for criticisng Rafa, I think Stumpys criticism is warranted for the reason's I stated.

I don't think his conclusion is warranted by the reasons given.

I could equally call him a managerial genius because we won the CL in 2005 but that would be going too far in the other extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Is this merry-go-round ever gonna stop ?

I don't think his conclusion is warranted by the reasons given.

I could equally call him a managerial genius because we won the CL in 2005 but that would be going too far in the other extreme.

I did.

You could and it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I see a name being bandied about is Didier Deschamps. He did quite a decent job getting Juventus promoted and won Ligue 1 with Marseille in his first year.

He's only 41 too. Perhaps he might have the energy for the job and seems versed working under difficult circumstances.

Just a thought.

I did.

You could and it would.

That means you agree that Rafa is clueless?

• Advertisement

That means you agree that Rafa is clueless?

How did you come to that conclusion? :confused:

You said you felt that his conclusion (that Rafa is clueless) was warranted by the reasons he put forward.

You said you felt that his conclusion (that Rafa is clueless) was warranted by the reasons he put forward.

Who said rafa was clueless?

Who said rafa was clueless?

Stumpy.

Stumpy.

No I didn't.

I was deemed clueless by chucky the tree stump, for questioning Benitez.

Its not permissable to question Benitez.

No I didn't.

I was deemed clueless by chucky the tree stump, for questioning Benitez.

Its not permissable to question Benitez.

Sorry lads, I don't know where I am anymore.

Bottom line, no one thinks Rafa is clueless then.

Grand.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads, I don't know where I am anymore.

Bottom line, no one thinks said Rafa is clueless then.

Grand.

I fixed that for you.:)

Ah no one really thinks that, looking at his entire tenure at Liverpool.

Ah no one really thinks that, looking at his entire tenure at Liverpool.

Which is over now so lets bury this.

Next topic who will manage Liverpool.

I'm now, after about 2 minutes of consideration, throwing my full weight behind Didier Deschamps.

He's the only man for the job and no one will convince me otherwise.

As Joe Kinnear would say. Bring on Des Champs.

And sign up that Ouzil.

Which is over now so lets bury this.

Until you bring it up 2m!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    remind me why you were banned from this forum for a few years Muppet, twas before my time.

shhhhhh!
    hes 100% totally not a troll now ya know
    without boggles & ntlbell around though he seems kinda isolated. new novelty trolls will pop up though so he can seem credible in his own head. derp de derrr!

but yeah, didier deschamps would get my vote too. has a good head on his shoulders and i definately think he would freshen up the club. not sure we can get him tho :s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Jazzy wrote: »
    but yeah, didier deschamps would get my vote too. has a good head on his shoulders and i definately think he would freshen up the club. not sure we can get him tho :s

I'm preparing for disappointment cos I want either Lippi or Hitzfeld. Anyone else I'm going to be very meh about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Deschamps wouldn't be bad alright. While not hugely experienced like some of the other candidates, he has had a good record. The only issue I could see from him would be that he is a bit of a fiery character, had a row with the management at Juve didn't he? I would agree with those that say that the current Liverpool management might well be looking for a yes man, not sure he would fit that bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I'm preparing for disappointment cos I want either Lippi or Hitzfeld. Anyone else I'm going to be very meh about.
    Lippi or Hitzfeld. With what money will we be attracting managers of that class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did I just hear that KD has ruled himself out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RTE reporting Dalglish has ruled himself out. Anybody hear that from any other sources?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mister men wrote: »
    Lippi or Hitzfeld. With what money will we be attracting managers of that class?

We were never about money really to be fair. But I suppose its just blind hope on my part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

K-9 wrote: »
    RTE reporting Dalglish has ruled himself out. Anybody hear that from any other sources?

That is part of the rumour involving Hitzfeld that I commented on earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Has this been posted? Quotes and all.
    Javier Mascherano has fuelled rumours he may be set to join Rafael Benitez at Inter Milan after revealing he is learning Italian.

Mascherano, currently on international duty with Argentina at the World Cup, has been heavily linked with a move away from Anfield as Liverpool may be forced to sell star players to balance the books.

The Italian press has suggested Benitez could make Mascherano his main transfer target and it appears the midfielder may be considering a move to Serie A.

"I am learning Italian while I'm here in South Africa," he said. "I don't know what I will do after the tournament. We shall see."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=796198&sec=transfers&cc=5739&campaign=rss&source=soccernet

Kess73 wrote: »
    That is part of the rumour involving Hitzfeld that I commented on earlier today.

Where did you hear that?

Rte get thier info from The People.

Archi, that would certainly back up a previous set of quotes about Rafa being his kinda guy and the general belief that he was heading away this summer come what may. So long as Inter don't try and get him cheap...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

mike65 wrote: »
    Archi, that would certainly back up a previous set of quotes about Rafa being his kinda guy and the general belief that he was heading away this summer come what may. So long as Inter don't try and get him cheap...

Thing is, Rafa probably knows how broke Liverpool are more than anyone, so you'd imagine he'll know the exact minimum price you might sell for.

Where did you hear that?

Rte get thier info from The People.

I mentioned it earlier today in this thread (post 31390) but did not really want to get into it earlier as I have no interest in getting into a debate over my liking for Hitzfeld for the job. The rumour has been going around Liverpool since last night, and the local press are very interested in trying to get an interview with Dalglish, with local talk of the Echo having a story by the end of next week over a comment that was let slip by somebody close to the Dalglish camp/family.

The rumour is that Hitzfeld has thrown his name into the hat for two jobs. Liverpool and Bayern. It is also doing the rounds that the chance of coming to manage in England is why he knocked back an offer for the Celtic job despite being a huge Celtic fan when he was younger, and a certain ex Celtic legend at Liverpool is meant to have further enamoured Hitzfeld with the idea of managing Liverpool.

Another part of the rumour is that Didi Hamann, who has been getting his FA coaching badges, has been approached about having some role on the coaching staff.

The alledged contact by Hitzfeld's agent is what is meant to have led to Dalglish withdrawing from contention last night.

Hitzfeld is also meant to have been sounded out by Bayern because, and get this, van Gaal has been named by Liverpool as a target for replacing Rafa.

Again it is just rumour, but it is bubbling on local radio and around the streets back home.

Hitzfeld + Didi?! WIN!

(aside, why would Bayern be looking for a coach?)

Hitzfeld + Didi?! WIN!

Hitzfeld = massive win if there is any truth at all to it. The fact that the Echo seem to be trying to push for a story towards the end of the week is interesting, would seem to suggest that they think they have a chance of breaking a big story.

Mind you the other part of that rumour would not be so bad either if van Gaal emerges as a genuine candidate.

My preference is Hitzfeld by a long way though. Not only has he gotten one of the best records in the game and rated one of the elite of football management, he also has a good record of coming to a club with little funds and with board rooms problems and turning that club into both a league winner and a CL winner.

Plus the fact he would cost nothing by way of compensation to another club is a bonus.

It is nothing bot speculation based upon rumour on my behalf, but it is interesting that the Dalglish stepping down bit is starting to look like it is true.

If we see Didi leave MK Dons over the next month or so, then I will really start to get excited.

(aside, why would Bayern be looking for a coach?)

Bayern are meant to have approached Hitzfeld's agent to test the waters unofficially in case they lose van Gaal to Liverpool or so the rumour goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Archimedes wrote: »
    Has this been posted? Quotes and all.

Been a few suggestions of it.

BBC Rumour page also has speculation about Lucas and Jovanovic, the player we are supposed to be signing.

But seeing as Rafa was such a bad man manager, surely not? :rolleyes:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Bayern are meant to have approached Hitzfeld's agent to test the waters unofficially in case they lose van Gaal to Liverpool or so the rumour goes.
    Any sauce on this?

Any sauce on this?

Just folk back home in Liverpool. Where the brother works is somewhere that would be privy to a lot of stories, both real ones and rumoured ones, and he is saying that the Echo is defo trying for a story this week, and it would appear that it would be at the end of the week if they can get quotes from the person they are pushing to speak to, which would tie in with when the first Switzerland game is finished.

Could turn out to be a whole lot of nothing tbh, but what has given it more credibility in my eyes is the Dalglish pulling out bit, which happened well after the rumour began.

As for van Gaal being linked to Liverpool, that has popped up on a lot of news sites on mainland Europe, and funnily enough van Gaal's wiki page (ok not a good source at all) has a bit where it says that Liverpool officially added him to the shortlist on the 4th June.

It may be a case of clutching at straws, but at least it is a rumour of a manager that would be a genuine replacement for Rafa , and a serious upgrade in the case of Hitzfeld.

Another thing it may hint at, if there is any truth in either manager coming, is that the choice of manager may reflect what new investors or owners want in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Didi and Hitzfeld would be great.

Didi was doing some coaching with the youths at soem stage this season...think it might have been the U14s...might have been work for his coaching badges but still nice to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

good grief; we're going to sell Masch for 12m or something aren't we?

Didi and Hitzfeld would be great.

Didi was doing some coaching with the youths at soem stage this season...think it might have been the U14s...might have been work for his coaching badges but still nice to see.

Yeah he was continuing working towards his coaching badges whilst at MK Dons, and the time with the Liverpool youths was part of what was needed for his badges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Hitzfeld still 80/1 with the bookies.

Worth a tenner?

I think LFC can still attract big name managers. The problem at this very moment though is we will only offer 12 month rolling contract because the club is for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Worth a tenner?

£2 on Betfair returns £311.

Worth a tenner?

I think LFC can still attract big name managers. The problem at this very moment though is we will only offer 12 month rolling contract because the club is for sale.

My gut feeling is that if there is truth in the Hitzfeld/van Gaal rumour, then there is something big going on in terms of either investment or ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ottmar Hitzfeld: -

"My contract with Switzerland lasts until June 2012, and by then I'll be 63. I wouldn't be up for it (club management) any more. I wouldn't like to put the stress of 60 matches a year on myself."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Just folk back home in Liverpool. Where the brother works is somewhere that would be privy to a lot of stories, both real ones and rumoured ones, and he is saying that the Echo is defo trying for a story this week, and it would appear that it would be at the end of the week if they can get quotes from the person they are pushing to speak to, which would tie in with when the first Switzerland game is finished.

Could turn out to be a whole lot of nothing tbh, but what has given it more credibility in my eyes is the Dalglish pulling out bit, which happened well after the rumour began.

As for van Gaal being linked to Liverpool, that has popped up on a lot of news sites on mainland Europe, and funnily enough van Gaal's wiki page (ok not a good source at all) has a bit where it says that Liverpool officially added him to the shortlist on the 4th June.

It may be a case of clutching at straws, but at least it is a rumour of a manager that would be a genuine replacement for Rafa , and a serious upgrade in the case of Hitzfeld.

Another thing it may hint at, if there is any truth in either manager coming, is that the choice of manager may reflect what new investors or owners want in place.

I admire your enthusiasm, but there are a few tremendous leaps of faith in what you have said.

Ottmar Hitzfeld: -

"My contract with Switzerland lasts until June 2012, and by then I'll be 63. I wouldn't be up for it (club management) any more. I wouldn't like to put the stress of 60 matches a year on myself."

That is not a recent quote though, and I think it is one he gave to a Swiss journo in Febuary or March.

If quotes are to be taken as inflexible opinions, then Masch would have signed a new contract with us when Rafa claimed that back in March.

I'm clinging to my straw that the club has actually gotten a few genuine top class managers on it's shortlist as well as the names banded about by the media in the UK, because looking at the supposedly more realistic alternatives is just too depressing for me right now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

That is not a recent quote though, and I think it is one he gave to a Swiss journo in Febuary or March.

If quotes are to be taken as inflexible opinions, then Masch would have signed a new contract with us when Rafa claimed that back in March.

I'm clinging to my straw that the club has actually gotten a few genuine top class managers on it's shortlist as well as the names banded about by the media in the UK, because looking at the supposedly more realistic alternatives is just too depressing for me right now. ;)

Im hoping your right, just adding what he said previously. May not be important

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

My gut feeling is that if there is truth in the Hitzfeld/van Gaal rumour, then there is something big going on in terms of either investment or ownership.

Kess I like reading your posts with the local views and what not.........but seriously dont get our hopes up like that!!!:p

I admire your enthusiasm, but there are a few tremendous leaps of faith in what you have said.

All it is at this point is rumour and speculation, and generally rumours does not go any further than just being idle gossip.

It is the Dalglish bit that has given me a tiny glimmer of hope, which has given the rumour maybe 5% of substance for me against the 95% chance of it being total bullcrap.

Now if something like Hamann leaving MK Dons were to happen towards the end of the month, then that 5% may start to grow in size.

But until the hope is quashed by the appointment of a Roy H or similar, I will keep hoping against hope for some genuine quality.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement