Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Ah come on!

Ok, I haven't the appetite for another sprawling debate.

Lets just say if he was totally happy, I don't think he would have made so many noises to the press to suggest otherwise.

He was quite unhappy that he never managed to maintain a consistent run in the team despite playing really well this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

im actually so annoyed at this. what the hell is going on at anfield? selling a player of his quality to a rival club to gain the cash to pay off the manager you just fired (who then walked into the top available job in europe) is f**king stupid no matter what way you look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Feck it. I'll agree with stumpy (against my better judgement!), I think Yossi was one of those players that a manager like Rafa doesn't really ever trust implicitly, unlike say Masch or Kuyt who will do exactly what he tells them to do. Sorry, told them to do (though it looks like he may be telling them again...)

4.5 million feels like robbery even though it's probably about right for his age and reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Jazzy wrote: »
    im actually so annoyed at this. what the hell is going on at anfield? selling a player of his quality to a rival club to gain the cash to pay off the manager you just fired (who then walked into the top available job in europe) is f**king stupid no matter what way you look at it

In fairness, it seemed Benayoun wanted out for some time.

He's 29 (or 30?) and we need to start rebuilding. Between him, Kuyt, Maxi and Gerrard, we are too old and stale in those positions. I'd have preferred one of the others to leave, but it's understandable we'd let him go, given how little he was used last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Benayoun was not the answer to our left wing problem, and he wasn't happy so selling him made sense. I think he was worth a little more than 4.5M but not much more. He won't get a lot of game time at Chelsea given Malouda's form last season, but he will be a useful backup for them with Cole (Joe) leaving.

Hopefully Aquilani will get more gametime and stay fit next season, and Pacheco will be moved up the pecking order, but we need a first-choice left winger, and we would have even if Yossi had stayed. It's difficult to see us having any money to buy anyone though.

• Advertisement

I'm actually seriously worried about the squad. With Benayoun gone, Mascherano going. Our Midfield/attack consists of Babel, Maxi, Gerrard, Lucas, Aquilani, Kuyt, Torres and N'gog.

Sorry state of affairs. Heaven forbid Gerrard and Torres leave! We'll do well to stay up. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

selling Yossi for 4.5m?! good ****in jesus! **** OFF YOU YANK PRICKS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mike65 wrote: »
    4.5 million feels like robbery even though it's probably about right for his age and reputation.

i'm sure i heard 6 somewhere...

Chelseas initial bid was around £4.5 M, Liverpool demanded £10 M apparently, probably be around £6 M so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

wow, we've been properly raped in that deal.

souness%20%282%29.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cgc5483

football365 reporting 6 alright

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's hard to speculate on anything at the moment as we have no idea who will/won't be at the club next season. At this point the only certainties to be at the club are G/H it seems.

who's making the call on this deal with no manager around? broughton the chelsea season ticket holder perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote: »
    who's making the call on this deal with no manager around? broughton the chelsea season ticket holder perhaps?

Agreed. How a club can sell/buy players without a manager has always been a mystery to me. Well, not a mystery, because we know who's making this call, but you know what I mean. Ridiculous.

selling Yossi for 4.5m?! good ****in jesus! **** OFF YOU YANK PRICKS!

squad player. 30 years old. hardly used last season. transfer fee is merely speculation. he wanted to leave. calm down.

He's not invoulved in day to day running. Purslow, on the advice of Sammy Lee perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

its like taking over the your rivals in Football Manager... genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christian Purslow is the man who would be accepting offers right now. I doubt he is doing
    too much consulting as G&H neither know or care about players and Broughton is in a different role.

squad player. 30 years old. hardly used last season. transfer fee is merely speculation. he wanted to leave. calm down.
    No money to spend on new players. Selling a good player, on the cheap, to one of the teams we're aiming to catch, while no manager installed at the club. Its a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Awfully convenient for the board that Rafa wasn't there anymore to prevent this happening/talk Benny into staying.

• Advertisement

Yossi Benayoun has, according to reports, agreed to join Chelsea on a four-year contract from Liverpool, although it is believed that both clubs have yet to agree on a fee.

Chelsea have reportedly been pursuing the Israeli international for some time and see him as an ideal replacement for Joe Cole, who will leave the club next month after failing to agree terms on an extension to his deal at Stamford Bridge.

Benayoun has been a moderate success at Liverpool since joining for £5m in July 2007 but supposedly fell out with now former manager Rafael Benítez during the last campaign and has been looking to leave Anfield ever since.

According to the Israeli Sport 5 website, the 30-year-old has finalised personal terms with the Premier League champions, but the move is far from completed. Chelsea, it is believed, do not want to spend more than £4m on the player while Liverpool want closer to £10m.

Liverpool are currently without a manager following the departure of Benítez earlier this month and it is also possible that his replacement, widely expected to be Roy Hodgson, could demand that Benayoun remains at the club. It is likely, though, that a compromise will be reached shortly that will see the former West Ham player return to London.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/14/yossi-benayoun-liverpool-chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

its like taking over the your rivals in Football Manager... genius!

Wishful thinking there ;)

Broughton is not in a different role. He himself said in his interview with the official, he asked Rafa for a frank evaluation of the members of the playing squad and what needed to be addressed in it so they could get to work on deals this summer. He is controlling the purse strings at the club. He is the one who released the statement on Rafa leaving. He is the man calling the shots at the club at this moment.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Awfully convenient for the board that Rafa wasn't there anymore to prevent this happening/talk Benny into staying.

Benitez is the reason he wanted to leave.

a very simplistic way of looking at it.

we should not be doing anything with the playing squad until a manager is in place.

end of.

and for world poverty.

and AIDS.

and Big Brother...

Hardly used last season? How many appearances did he make? How many goals did he get? If he was going to be replaced by a better player, grand-although we'd still be getting ripped off. But he won't be. And we don't have a manager cv the club.

SlickRic wrote: »
    and for world poverty.

and AIDS.

and Big Brother...

I'm sure theirs some sand somewhere you'll be able to bury your head in.

Em, bit of news from last week, but Rafa has left mate. Or do we have to put up with him taking the blame for everything even when he's not at the club? Delightful

• Advertisement

Benni sold to Chelsea?? For 4.5m??

This true?

So who made that decision?

What a bargain for Chelsea :(

GTFO OF OUR CLUB G&H, YOU ARE SLOWLY BUT SURELY DESTROYING IT.

I'm sure theirs some sand somewhere you'll be able to bury your head in.

Christ Almighty.

change the tune will you, this 'head in the sand' sh*t you keep coming up with is patronising as f*ck.

you're not the oracle of all knowledge, just like i'm not. but you seem to have an unhealthy tendency to blame Rafa for anything you can find.

Em, bit of news from last week, but Rafa has left mate. Or do we have to put up with him taking the blame for everything even when he's not at the club? Delightful

I think you'll find that Benayoun had been planning his exit for a while now.

Hardly used last season? How many appearances did he make? How many goals did he get? If he was going to be replaced by a better player, grand-although we'd still be getting ripped off. But he won't be. And we don't have a manager cv the club.

Hardly used is probably an exaggeration. But it's clear he became second choice last season. It's also clear he wants to leave. Therefore if we get an offer we deem acceptable we should let him go, given his age.

At the moment all we have on the price is speculation. Chelsea want to pay 4. We want 10. If we got 7/8 million i'd be delighted.

Whether or not he's going to be replaced adequately is very questionable. Hope so, but am not holding my breath.

Nonetheless, i wouldn't want to keep a player here who doesn't want to be here. I suspect the exact same deal would be going through were Rafa here.

simple, tell him tough ****, he ain't. surely if the manager was the reason he wanted to leave, and that manager was no longer there, that wouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

As with Mascherano.

If Benny and Masch are going, I'd be surprised if Torres is here come August. Why would he stay? Unless we get a manager in sharpish with funds to prepare for next season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Christ Almighty.

change the tune will you, this 'head in the sand' sh*t you keep coming up with is patronising as f*ck.

you're not the oracle of all knowledge, just like i'm not. but you seem to have an unhealthy tendency to blame Rafa for anything you can find.

You seem to have an unhealthy tendency to absolve him of all blame for anything.

Unless you've been living head down in a sand pit, you'll have known that Benayoun and Benitez did not get on. I was hoping that now Benitez had gone Benayoun might have reconsidered but obviously he's made up his mind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I cling to the hope that Yossi is gone because there will be an imminent announcement of Arabic owners. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

how do you know?

event wrote: »
    how do you know?

Because he said so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

"Rafa lost loads of senior players, they wanted out"

"But, Rafa's gone now, and still players want out, does that not suggest that the problem at Liverpool wasn't necessarily Rafa?"

"Whatever."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

If there are any non hysterical poeple on this thread today, can you confirm to me if Yossi is gone, in the pipeline or just moar rumour?? Cant find anything on any of the main sites about it.

Because he said so.

when?

can you provide some links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If there are any non hysterical poeple on this thread today, can you confirm to me if Yossi is gone, in the pipeline or just moar rumour?? Cant find anything on any of the main sites about it.

It just depends on if they can agree a fee or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

spockety wrote: »
    "Rafa lost loads of senior players, they wanted out"

"But, Rafa's gone now, and still players want out, does that not suggest that the problem at Liverpool wasn't necessarily Rafa?"

"Whatever."

Enuf of the logical type stuff.

Rumours really.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

yes it looks like he is, oliver kay mentioned it on his twitter and its on the guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/14/yossi-benayoun-liverpool-chelsea

Because he said so.

Any links or is this a lie you are spinning?????

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Any links or is this a lie you are spinning?????

I thought I was on ignore?

If you'd been following Liverpool over the last two years you might have noticed Benayoun was unhappy with the amount of game time he was recieving.

Jesus is anyone paying attention at all?

Did you hear about Babels twitter incident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I thought I was on ignore?

If you'd been following Liverpool over the last two years you might have noticed Benayoun was unhappy with the amount of game time he was recieving.

Jesus is anyone paying attention at all?

Did you hear about Babels twitter incident?

I'm sure most people know he wanted more games however he never once came out and said he wanted to leave because of Rafa afaik. If he did you can post the links. I think people are just getting a bit miffed about you lying about it.

Yossi Benayoun has revised his opinion on leaving Liverpool after finally coming to terms with Rafael Benítez's managerial style at Anfield. The Israel captain appeared destined for the Liverpool exit last summer after a debut season spent mostly on the margins of the squad. Manchester City, before the Abu Dhabi takeover, Spartak Moscow, Roma and Ajax all inquired about signing the 28-year-old before the start of this season and the Russians tried again in January as the midfielder's frustration with life at Anfield continued.

Benayoun spoke to Benítez in December about the prospect of leaving in the last transfer window but, with that inquiry rebuffed, has responded with the most productive spell of his two-year Anfield career. Until December the midfielder started in only seven of 23 games for Liverpool. Since then, however, he has started 11 of 19 and followed his match-winning performance at the Bernabéu with the goal that secured Liverpool's return to winning ways in the Premier League against Sunderland on Tuesday.

"I have come to appreciate that, at a big club like Liverpool, you can't take anything for granted," said Benayoun. "With the number of top players we've got, you accept you are not always going to be playing and that you have to give it everything when your chance comes along. That is fine with me. If I found myself going three or four months without setting foot on the pitch, it might be different. But as things stand, that is not an issue with me.

"I feel settled and I'm happy to be contributing. I am also learning how things work here. You can score a very famous goal, an absolutely crucial one, and it will all be forgotten the following day as far as the manager is concerned. He only thinks of the next challenge and that is how it should be. It has taught me you can't celebrate too long and I am already looking at my goal in Madrid that way. For me it will only be important if we go all the way and win the Champions League. Otherwise it will count for nothing."

It was following his winner against Real Madrid in the Champions League last week that Benayoun experienced the methods that prompted Steven Gerrard to admit one of his remaining ambitions at Liverpool is to receive congratulations from Benítez.

The Liverpool midfielder explained: "It was madness in our changing rooms after we won in Madrid last week and I had to take my mobile phone into the toilets to call my family. It was the only way I could make myself heard. Everyone was screaming and shouting, except for the manager, of course. He was his usual calm self.

"He didn't even congratulate us or shake hands. That's just how he is, and I am beginning to understand why. He is very professional, and he wants us to be the same all the time. He won't stand for any of us getting carried away or feeling we are superior to anyone else. My wife and young children had been jumping up and down with excitement, watching at home, but he didn't say a word to me about the goal. That's how it is with him. He likes keeping you on your toes."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/05/yossi-benayoun-liverpool-rafa-benitez

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement