Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

You said
    I think you'll find that Benayoun had been planning his exit for a while now.

I asked for links to thsi as did a few others. Posting this up and providing zero links doesn't wash I'm afraid

Unless you've been living head down in a sand pit, you'll have known that Benayoun and Benitez did not get on.

Really? Again provide links please
    Because he said so.

Again, where did he say? I missed it.
    If you'd been following Liverpool over the last two years you might have noticed Benayoun was unhappy with the amount of game time he was recieving.

Jesus is anyone paying attention at all?

Did you hear about Babels twitter incident?

He played 39 games last season - 28 in league.
    40 the season before with 32 in the league.

Hardly a player that was getting no game time.

Paying attention? To what? blatent lies

Babels twitter? Now I know you are having a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Benny has never once said he wanted to leave until this summer, before all the sh*t hit the fan.

yes, he wanted to play more, but it's not like he was in the reserves.

so, it's surprising.

and you'd think that if he didn't want to work with Rafa, he'd have forced his had before Rafa left; since now that Rafa has left, he'd have surely had a good chance to be a regular under the next manager.

oh, wait, maybe it's not as simple as...'he didn't get on with Rafa, so he left'...

just your daily reminder Stumpy that things are not always exactly as they seem ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

SlickRic wrote: »
    Benny has never once said he wanted to leave until this summer, before all the sh*t hit the fan.

yes, he wanted to play more, but it's not like he was in the reserves.

so, it's surprising.

and you'd think that if he didn't want to work with Rafa, he'd have forced his had before Rafa left; since now that Rafa has left, he'd have surely had a good chance to be a regular under the next manager.

oh, wait, maybe it's not as simple as...'he didn't get on with Rafa, so he left'...

just your daily reminder Stumpy that things are not always exactly as they seem ;)

I agree, Xabi Alonso never once mentioned that he wanted to leave Liverpool. Does that mean he didn't want to leave Liverpool.

Just your daily reminder slickric...

Yossi Benayoun has revised his opinion on leaving Liverpool after finally coming to terms with Rafael Benítez's managerial style at Anfield. The Israel captain appeared destined for the Liverpool exit last summer after a debut season spent mostly on the margins of the squad. Manchester City, before the Abu Dhabi takeover, Spartak Moscow, Roma and Ajax all inquired about signing the 28-year-old before the start of this season and the Russians tried again in January as the midfielder's frustration with life at Anfield continued.

Benayoun spoke to Benítez in December about the prospect of leaving in the last transfer window but, with that inquiry rebuffed, has responded with the most productive spell of his two-year Anfield career. Until December the midfielder started in only seven of 23 games for Liverpool. Since then, however, he has started 11 of 19 and followed his match-winning performance at the Bernabéu with the goal that secured Liverpool's return to winning ways in the Premier League against Sunderland on Tuesday.

"I have come to appreciate that, at a big club like Liverpool, you can't take anything for granted," said Benayoun. "With the number of top players we've got, you accept you are not always going to be playing and that you have to give it everything when your chance comes along. That is fine with me. If I found myself going three or four months without setting foot on the pitch, it might be different. But as things stand, that is not an issue with me.

"I feel settled and I'm happy to be contributing. I am also learning how things work here. You can score a very famous goal, an absolutely crucial one, and it will all be forgotten the following day as far as the manager is concerned. He only thinks of the next challenge and that is how it should be. It has taught me you can't celebrate too long and I am already looking at my goal in Madrid that way. For me it will only be important if we go all the way and win the Champions League. Otherwise it will count for nothing."

It was following his winner against Real Madrid in the Champions League last week that Benayoun experienced the methods that prompted Steven Gerrard to admit one of his remaining ambitions at Liverpool is to receive congratulations from Benítez.

The Liverpool midfielder explained: "It was madness in our changing rooms after we won in Madrid last week and I had to take my mobile phone into the toilets to call my family. It was the only way I could make myself heard. Everyone was screaming and shouting, except for the manager, of course. He was his usual calm self.

"He didn't even congratulate us or shake hands. That's just how he is, and I am beginning to understand why. He is very professional, and he wants us to be the same all the time. He won't stand for any of us getting carried away or feeling we are superior to anyone else. My wife and young children had been jumping up and down with excitement, watching at home, but he didn't say a word to me about the goal. That's how it is with him. He likes keeping you on your toes."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/05/yossi-benayoun-liverpool-rafa-benitez

That's the proof that Benni has been planning his exit for a long time?

Serious?

Very poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I agree, Xabi Alonso never once mentioned that he wanted to leave Liverpool. Does that mean he didn't want to leave Liverpool.

Why did you lie about it though?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That's the proof that Benni has been planning his exit for a long time?

Serious?

Very poor

Put me back on ignore there Rarnes, theres a good chap.

:confused:

You have been caught out on a lie and you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Why did you lie about it though?

as each day goes by i get more convinced that stumpypeeps is sots...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

event wrote: »
    Because he said so.

when?

can you provide some links?

can you?

i dont mean specualtion, i mean an actual link where he says

"i want to leave liverpool because of rafa"

none of this read between the lines malarky. you quite blatantly said that he wanted to leave cos of rafa and that he said so.

if you have a link so said article, that'd be great, but if not, it would point towards you being a spoofer who hasnt a fúcking clue

• Advertisement

that Benitez was the cause of our problems?

yeah, we all know where you stand on that.

in short (and this will be my only post RE: Alonso i hope), he was very average for 18 months, Rafa looked at Barry, then Alonso played his best football yet, Madrid came calling (where all non-Catalan/Atletico players want to play), and we sold him, at a massive profit.

Rafa made the right call with Alonso. we got 5 years out of him; the first 2, and last one of which were brilliant, and he then wanted to go home to who he would deem as the biggest club in the world.

you see...not black and white. the Rafa situation was an issue, but not the whole picture. plus, as I said, Rafa was justified in trying for an alternative to Alonso at the time of Barry.

Benayoun, who has also been linked with West Ham United and Spurs, said last week while on international duty: “Ancelotti wants me for next season and now everything depends on Liverpool.

“Chelsea will have to pay some £6million but, I believe that, in the end, I’ll be moving there.”

Thirty-year-old Benayoun has scored 29 goals in 81 starts and 53 substitute appearances for Rafa Benitez’s team in the last three seasons.

as each day goes by i get more convinced that stumpypeeps is sots...

I wonder has he reported any signatures yet. :pac:

Put me back on ignore there Rarnes, theres a good chap.

Can you provide the links and prove you weren't just posting lies.

There's not much credibility gained otherwise.

Benayoun, who has also been linked with West Ham United and Spurs, said last week while on international duty: “Ancelotti wants me for next season and now everything depends on Liverpool.

“Chelsea will have to pay some £6million but, I believe that, in the end, I’ll be moving there.”

Thirty-year-old Benayoun has scored 29 goals in 81 starts and 53 substitute appearances for Rafa Benitez’s team in the last three seasons.

LOL, where's this from then?

Liverpool’s Benayoun says he wants to join Chelsea
    By ALLON SINAI
    05/25/2010 05:34

“Chelsea will have to pay some £6 million but I believe that in the end I’ll be moving there," midfielder tells 'Daily Mail.'

Yossi Benayoun revealed his desire to join Chelsea on Monday and said that he is confident of moving to the new English champion from Liverpool.

The 30-year-old midfielder fell out with Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez earlier this year, and with the Spaniard now expected to remain at Merseyside for at least one more season, Benayoun seems adamant to move on, especially with Chelsea and its manager Carlo Ancelotti interested in his services.

“Ancelotti wants me for next season and now everything depends on Liverpool,” Benayoun was quoted as saying in the Daily Mail. “Chelsea will have to pay some £6 million but I believe that in the end I’ll be moving there.”

http://www.jpost.com/Sports/Article.aspx?id=176396

• Advertisement

Liverpool’s Benayoun says he wants to join Chelsea
    By ALLON SINAI
    05/25/2010 05:34

“Chelsea will have to pay some £6 million but I believe that in the end I’ll be moving there," midfielder tells 'Daily Mail.'

Yossi Benayoun revealed his desire to join Chelsea on Monday and said that he is confident of moving to the new English champion from Liverpool.

The 30-year-old midfielder fell out with Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez earlier this year, and with the Spaniard now expected to remain at Merseyside for at least one more season, Benayoun seems adamant to move on, especially with Chelsea and its manager Carlo Ancelotti interested in his services.

“Ancelotti wants me for next season and now everything depends on Liverpool,” Benayoun was quoted as saying in the Daily Mail. “Chelsea will have to pay some £6 million but I believe that in the end I’ll be moving there.”

http://www.jpost.com/Sports/Article.aspx?id=176396

lol another fail, i dont see the word want any where in those quotes or the fact he "fell out with rafa"

I'm getting virus alerts from that link folks

lol another fail, i dont see the word want any where in those quotes or the fact he "fell out with rafa"

Its funny your willing to believe the initial article I posted from an Israeli paper, however, this one is completely fabricated.

Its funny your willing to believe the initial article I posted from an Israeli paper, however, this one is completely fabricated.

i never said fabricated - its funny how you jumped to that conclusion

i said the QUOTES say nothing of Rafa or WANTING to leave

i never said fabricated - its funny how you jumped to that conclusion

i said the QUOTES say nothing of Rafa or WANTING to leave

Its very difficult to find quotes from a player categorically saying he wants to leave. Apart from Riera, who immediatedly found himself in the Reserves.

Come on, a little common sense lads. Its the same people arguing day in day out that in fact, the sun shines directly from an orifice in Rafa's underpants.

• Advertisement

Come on, a little common sense lads. Its the same people arguing day in day out that in fact, the sun shines directly from an orifice in Rafa's underpants.

why bother then?

why bother then?

Cause its fun.

Its very difficult to find quotes from a player categorically saying he wants to leave. Apart from Riera, who immediatedly found himself in the Reserves.

not me, sure im not even a liverpool fan

but when someone makes a claim that a player wanted to leave because of a manager, id expect the poster to be able to back that up

so its rather simple:

1) If you have said quotes, please post the links to them

or

2) admit you have read some media speculation, taken them as gospel and tried to pass them off here as if you have a clue

It's a shame you won't take your own advice. You claimed he's been unhappy at Liverpool for over two years. Why did he sign a contract extension last July then? :confused:

Direct Quotes from the man himself last July
    I am very happy that we have reached an agreement," he said. "Of course, to be at a club like this is a dream come true and I want to keep playing here.

"Now I cant concentrate on the hard work that needs to be done and try to play better and win some silverware."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5765652/Liverpools-Yossi-Benayoun-signs-two-year-contract-extension.html

Hardly the words of someone who been unhappy for over a year, but I suppose you know more about how Benayoun really felt then Benayoun himself. :pac:

not me, sure im not even a liverpool fan

but when someone makes a claim that a player wanted to leave because of a manager, id expect the poster to be able to back that up

so its rather simple:

1) If you have said quotes, please post the links to them

or

2) admit you have read some media speculation, taken them as gospel and tried to pass them off here as if you have a clue

Jesus if we needed to corroberate every piece of news we've heard with direct quotes this would be the times, not a message board. Think about it.

It's a shame you won't take your own advice. You claimed he's been unhappy at Liverpool for over two years. Why did he sign a contract extension last July then? :confused:

Direct Quotes from the man himself last July

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5765652/Liverpools-Yossi-Benayoun-signs-two-year-contract-extension.html

Hardly the words of someone who been unhappy for over a year, but I suppose you know more about how Benayoun really felt then Benayoun himself. :pac:

Cool, he should be here next year so.

Just like Ronaldo signed that new contract with United last year.

Ha!

Jesus if we needed to corroberate every piece of news we've heard with direct quotes this would be the times, not a message board. Think about it.

well when you say it as definate as
    Benitez is the reason he wanted to leave.

i would expect quotes

perhaps if you had said something like supposedly rafa is one of the reasons he wanted to leave it wouldnt have been pounced on.

but you quite clearly stated it as a fact, with nothin to back it up

but im glad we cleared it up that you were just posting mindless rubbish you've seen in the tabloids

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I heard that Barcelona had a big fall out with Messi and are looking to offload him to the first club that offers 5m. We should buy him I reckon with the Benayoun money, so selling him makes sense.

This game could be fun I reckon.

Cool, he should be here next year so.

Just like Ronaldo signed that new contract with United last year.

Ha!

more of it

ronaldo signed his last contract extension with united in 07, not 09

Javier Mascherano has said he would be happy to commit his future to Liverpool for seven years as he prepares for new contract talks.
    Javier Mascherano was linked with Real Madrid and Barcelona last summer

Mascherano, 25, had said earlier this week that he was happy at the club but would like to return to his homeland with River Plate in the next three or four years.

However, he is reported to be close to agreeing a new £90,000-a-week contract at Anfield and has indicated that he would be happy to commit until his early 30s.

"I will be really proud if I can spend the next six or seven years here," he said in the Sun. "There aren't too many clubs in the world with the history and fans that Liverpool have."

Recent speculation had suggested Mascherano could join Rafael Benitez at Juventus this summer.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=771352&cc=5739

He must be learning Italian so he can talk with Aqua more clearly in midfield for next year.

Such naivety. I feel sorry for some of you.

• Advertisement

more of it

ronaldo signed his last contract extension with united in 07, not 09

wow, your awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

squad player. 30 years old. hardly used last season. transfer fee is merely speculation. he wanted to leave. calm down.

This.

The drama queens in this thread are unreal. You only have to look at the reaction over in the Chelsea thread.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, he didn't particularly want to leave Liverpool, neither does Benny. Real Madrid and Chelsea came calling. I don't blame either of them or Rafa.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You'd think with Rafa now obviously not staying another season, he'd have reconsidered.

Read the whole piece, not the bits solely agreeing with you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Javier Mascherano has said he would be happy to commit his future to Liverpool for seven years as he prepares for new contract talks.
    Javier Mascherano was linked with Real Madrid and Barcelona last summer

Mascherano, 25, had said earlier this week that he was happy at the club but would like to return to his homeland with River Plate in the next three or four years.

However, he is reported to be close to agreeing a new £90,000-a-week contract at Anfield and has indicated that he would be happy to commit until his early 30s.

"I will be really proud if I can spend the next six or seven years here," he said in the Sun. "There aren't too many clubs in the world with the history and fans that Liverpool have."

Recent speculation had suggested Mascherano could join Rafael Benitez at Juventus this summer.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=771352&cc=5739

He must be learning Italian so he can talk with Aqua more clearly in midfield for next year.

Just two things wrong there

get off your f*cking pedestal.

Benny was not unhappy at Liverpool. he had his ups and downs, but he did not dislike it at the club.

Masch has been unhappy, but not because of Rafa. his wife is a f*cking whinge, and it's common knowledge he's not completely settled as a result. you know how we know? because we can pull out quotes. like we can pull out quotes from Masch saying Rafa 'saved' him.

Chelsea came along for Benny, the English champions, offering a 4-year deal to him, away from a club in turmoil.

Benny would have been a tool not to want to go.

this does not mean he wanted out or disliked Rafa.

this is not because the sun shines out of Rafa's ass or however you like to put it, it's just common sense from what we know as fact. Rafa made mistakes, but his 'treatment' of Benny was not one of them IMO. Benny had the best years of his career in his Liverpool shirt, and now, as a result, has gone to the English Champions on a 4-year deal on the back of that.

good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It seems that a manager not using a players means that the player is being mistreated. It's amazing how stuff can be twisted.

It seems that a manager not using a players means that the player is being mistreated. It's amazing how stuff can be twisted.

whats funny too is at the same time those "quotes" were released, there were similar ones saying mascherano was unhappy too

he is supposedly going to follow rafa to Inter

very strange

K-9 wrote: »
    You'd think with Rafa now obviously not staying another season, he'd have reconsidered.

Read the whole piece, not the bits solely agreeing with you.

sorry what?

that piece does not quote yossi saying he wanted to leave or he had fallen out with rafa, in fact it doesnt get close to it. can you show me any different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Rafa made the right call with Alonso.

Sweet jeebus :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

cgc5483 wrote: »
    football365 reporting 6 alright

4.5m i'm afraid
    good value for an under-nourished israelite
    hes useless and if liverpool fans are disappointed with his dept it really confirms how far the club has fallen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

so who are we hoping Purslow and Broughton will buy this summer? Or sell for that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mr Alan wrote: »
    so who are we hoping Purslow and Broughton will buy this summer? Or sell for that matter?

Honestly, at this stage I'd be happy with a buy no-one and sell no-one scenario. We have no cash, if those ***** sell they won't reinvest the money back into the transfer market so really this is the best scenario we can hope for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mr Alan wrote: »

I'm hoping for Hitzfeld or Lippi. One of the them and I'll be happy enough. Well as happy as can be expected. I think they will sell whoever wants to go. And Riera

Sweet jeebus :eek:

At the time, it was a reasonable decision after being told he had to sell to fund Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

common sense

we'll have none of that hear

sorry what?

that piece does not quote yossi saying he wanted to leave or he had fallen out with rafa, in fact it doesnt get close to it. can you show me any different?

The piece suggests Rafa was the reason Benny was moving on, which, considering he is still going, sounds like crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

At the time, it was a reasonable decision after being told he had to sell to fund Barry.

It was a reasonable decision allright considering the form alonso was in for nearly 2 seasons. The question for me is why was alonso so out of form, spat with benitez over his child or something i heard?

When people say that man management plays not much part in the game, all i have to point to is, alonso who couldnt attract 14 mil one summer and the next he goes for 30 mil. Ultimately, it is both alonso and rafas fault for alonsos poorish form but it is benitez job to sort this out. Alonso clearly made a decision he was gone that summer he was touted for juve and played a stormer. We got 30 mil, out of the cl and signed aquilani.

Now for me, xabi alonso is quite a passive fella and very professional, im quite sure neither him or benitez would make comment publicly but im pretty sure some bridges were burned over xabi's kid. If thats the case then benitez needs to take some blame,......and i do hold some of the blame towards him.

There is no doubt that Rafa's actions lead to Alonso leaving. No one can argue that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

There is no doubt that Rafa's actions lead to Alonso leaving. No one can argue that.

By the same token, there is no doubt that Alonso's loss of form was the reason Rafa was open to the idea of moving Alonso on. There is also no doubt that any player playing for Liverpool should expect to be deemed replaceable if they underperform for 2 seasons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement