Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

There is no doubt that Rafa's actions lead to Alonso leaving. No one can argue that.

I forgot to say that this is why i think he is way too stubborn for his own good. Balague made a comment recently that benitez is the kind of man who has to keep buying and selling due to various reasons surrounding his personality and ethos. That is very much reflected in his time here. Falling out with alonso is akin to falling out with the quiet kid who wouldnt say boo to a goose.

I think it was very obvious this last season that there was very little harmony in that dressing room. I realise that im just one sentence away from saying that he fell out with a few players but i think the squad at his disposal were not playing for him and this is rafas problem, iregardless of cash issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

K-9 wrote: »
    The piece suggests Rafa was the reason Benny was moving on, which, considering he is still going, sounds like crap.

Yes well done that was the point I was making :confused:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    By the same token, there is no doubt that Alonso's loss of form was the reason Rafa was open to the idea of moving Alonso on. There is also no doubt that any player playing for Liverpool should expect to be deemed replaceable if they underperform for 2 seasons.

Lets not forget that alonso had a few injuries and when you are used to firing perfect arrows like alonso, a period of injury takes 6-7 gmaes to get back into it.

If you take the line that alonsos loss of form was alonsos fault then you have to take the line that alonsos return to form was down to alonso. The truth is somewhere in the middle but benitez did not help the situation when alonsos missus was having their kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

so who are we hoping Purslow and Broughton will buy this summer? Or sell for that matter?
    I can see us making between 90-100 million on selling players and spending 20-30 million in. Out Torres 65-75 million, Benni 6m, Mash 20-25 milllion. The only question that remains is will they sell Gerrard as at his age we'd be lucky to get 15m and well that's just not cricket.

Signings in....past it journeymen pro's.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I thought the two of you were arguing the same point alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Which was the point I was making. Sounds like you took me up wrong.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Which was the point I was making. Sounds like you took me up wrong.

I think you took me up wrong :p

Mister men wrote: »
    I can see us making between 90-100 million on selling players and spending 20-30 million in. Out Torres 65-75 million, Benni 6m, Mash 20-25 milllion. The only question that remains is will they sell Gerrard as at his age we'd be lucky to get 15m and well that's just not cricket.

Signings in....past it journeymen pro's.:(

If Masch goes, plus selling one of our most creative players, I wouldn't blame Torres for leaving. Especially if they don't get a manager sorted by the end of the World Cup.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Did anyone else hear a rumour of 40m plus Stephen ireland for gerrard? I can't find anything but saw it on Twitter earlier.

I'd take the 40 in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Did anyone else hear a rumour of 40m plus Stephen ireland for gerrard? I can't find anything but saw it on Twitter earlier.

Dream deal to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

If Masch goes, plus selling one of our most creative players, I wouldn't blame Torres for leaving. Especially if they don't get a manager sorted by the end of the World Cup.
    We won't get anyone good. Any manager worth his salt will look at the books first and see there is nothing there for players and walk away. It's lose lose unless we get new owners who are minted. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

By the same token, there is no doubt that Alonso's loss of form was the reason Rafa was open to the idea of moving Alonso on. There is also no doubt that any player playing for Liverpool should expect to be deemed replaceable if they underperform for 2 seasons.

Anyone else fall under that category?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That would be up there with the Eto'o/Ibrahimovic deal in terms of weirdness. I really don't want to see Stevie go, and I would love to see him give his all in scouse red again next season, but I really don't know if he will still be there. If he does leave I really can't see it being to citeh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I haven't read it recently but I'm guessing this thread is full of the same hysterical bollocks that's been populating other sites, the Rafa fans seeing the club as some sort of evil empire now ?

We could have a new manager as early as tomorrow if rumours are to be believed - and it's not Hodgson. (which is a pity since I backed him)

Long live the King !

noodler wrote: »

I agree with Alans point, and I think I said it at the time - if we had got the 18m for Alonso it would have been a good deal.

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    I haven't read it recently but I'm guessing this thread is full of the same hysterical bollocks that's been populating other sites, the Rafa fans seeing the club as some sort of evil empire now ?

We could have a new manager as early as tomorrow if rumours are to be believed - and it's not Hodgson. (which is a pity since I backed him)

Long live the King !

What are the rumours?

sorry what?

that piece does not quote yossi saying he wanted to leave or he had fallen out with rafa, in fact it doesnt get close to it. can you show me any different?
    I think you took me up wrong :p

Don't think so. I was pointing out the article was crap! ;)

We'll leave it there I think!

Rosco1982 wrote: »

Long live the King !

Kenny will steer the ship for a month or 2. Sven will come in and rejuvenate stephen irelands career at liverpool. :)

This post will self destruct in 60 seconds.

I agree with Alans point, and I think I said it at the time - if we had got the 18m for Alonso it would have been a good deal.

Not what I asked.

• Advertisement

Don't think so. I was pointing out the article was crap! ;)

We'll leave it there I think!

That's what I was saying are you crazy? My post was saying that yossi didn't say what the article said.

Not what I asked.

Sorry misread you! Who hasn't performed for two years and should go?

Sorry misread you! Who hasn't performed for two years and should go?

I am asking Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Oh you're good :D two points, 1-i would not have had Alonso for sale. 2-Rafa underperformed for 1 season, didn't get a chance at a second

Oh you're good :D two points, 1-i would not have had Alonso for sale. 2-Rafa underperformed for 1 season, didn't get a chance at a second

Rafa underperformed for more than one season for me - not consectutive ones though.

Not really what I was getting at though.

Do you think, for example, Lucas' performances over the least two seasons were any better than Alonso's during his two bad seasons?

The (one of) the reasons he was sold, apart from his relative performances, was because he was worth something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Inter Milans new manager giving more money to good causes
    Jun 14 2010 Liverpool Daily Post

THE co-founder of Liverpool’s Lily Centre admitted she was “overwhelmed” after receiving a “significant” donation from Rafael Benitez.

The former Liverpool FC boss, who on Thursday gave £96,000 to the Hillsborough Family Support Group, helped another charity he holds close to his heart.

Though co-founder Peggy O’Brien would not disclose the amount on the cheque from Benitez, she revealed it would go a long way to helping the day-to-day running of The Lily Centre – a breast cancer support group – for a considerable time.

Mrs O’Brien said: “It was an absolutely fantastic gesture and we are all over the moon – it was completely overwhelming. We have known Rafa and [his wife] Montse for a long time but we did not expect this at all. You just do not expect people to give you money like that.

“Rafa and Montse have been good to us in the past and they did things that people would not know about, such as when he gave us Fernando Torres’ first Liverpool shirt for a raffle, which raised £4,900. But this just came completely out of the blue.”

Mrs O’Brien and Winnie Keating set up the Lily Centre in Silvester Street, Kirkdale, 11 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rafa underperformed for more than one season for me - not consectutive ones though.

Not really what I was getting at though.

Do you think, for example, Lucas' performances over the least two seasons were any better than Alonso's during his two bad seasons?

The (one of) the reasons he was sold, apart from his relative performances, was because he was worth something.
    I'm not gonna get drawn into this, i need an early night.

That's what I was saying are you crazy? My post was saying that yossi didn't say what the article said.

Why the say what part then?

In response to what part did you post that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

I thought I was on ignore?

If you'd been following Liverpool over the last two years you might have noticed Benayoun was unhappy with the amount of game time he was recieving.

Jesus is anyone paying attention at all?

Did you hear about Babels twitter incident?

and thats Jazzys patented Derp of the Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

So we've lost our manager, Aurelio is gone, Benayoun looks like he's going to Chelsea, Mascherano is wanting to go to Inter, Barcelona will chase Torres if Wenger digs his heels in on Fabregas, Real Madrid want Gerrard, Liverpool have slapped 28 mill on Johnson with the expectation of Inter, Madrid and Barcelona to chase him depending on where Maicon and Alves (reported to go to City) end up. So that's a manager and potentially 6 of our starting 11 to go! Hicks was right, it's going to be a big summer for Liverpool in terms of transfers OUT!

Not basing this on lasts nights performance but on an interview he did last week. Listening to Off The Ball last night they said in an interview last week Lippi has described the modern game as 1 man up front with 9 behind him attacking and defending.

We can see from Italy's performance that it's more defending that these 9 men will be doing and seeing as one of the major gripes about Benitez was his style of play would Lippi really be bringing anything new to Liverpool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Not basing this on lasts nights performance but on an interview he did last week. Listening to Off The Ball last night they said in an interview last week Lippi has described the modern game as 1 man up front with 9 behind him attacking and defending.

We can see from Italy's performance that it's more defending that these 9 men will be doing and seeing as one of the major gripes about Benitez was his style of play would Lippi really be bringing anything new to Liverpool?

we don't have a lot of options, especially of his calibre...if Lippi were interested we should bite his hand off...and then hire him. Actually, maybe just leave his hand alone and hire him.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    we don't have a lot of options, especially of his calibre...if Lippi were interested we should bite his hand off...and then hire him. Actually, maybe just leave his hand alone and hire him.

I know it's going round in circles but if we don't have a lot of options than what was the point in getting rid of the manager?!
    Especially if people don't seem to care anymore on what football philosophy the new manager will bring?

Some are saying that he lost the players but those players look to be still leaving even though he's gone. In fact one of those players looks like he wants to follow him to Inter.

I think the players have lost their belief in the club, not the manager. The club owners show no interest in the team bar 1 or 2 games a year. The have no ambitions for this club to win trophies. Their ambition is to build a big stadium, get bums on seats and watch the money roll in. When you're a player like Torres and Gerrard and you can clearly see this then what's the point of hanging around when your aim as a player is completely different to the aim of the owners of the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I know it's going round in circles but if we don't have a lot of options than what was the point in getting rid of the manager?!

Well my opinion is that we shouldn't have, because of the lack of options, and money, for a replacement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Why do people keep saying Torres may be off to Barcelona who have just bought Villa and are haggling hard for Fabregas. Torres will cost at least 60m and i would be extremely surprised if Barca could afford him, this season anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Splainc wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying Torres may be off to Barcelona who have just bought Villa and are haggling hard for Fabregas. Torres will cost at least 60m and i would be extremely surprised if Barca could afford him, this season anyway.

It's easier to ignore the facts and speculate. Makes you sound dead clever.

Splainc wrote: »

I didn't say that Torres will be off just that Barcelona will turn their attention to him, as reported, should Wenger dig his heels in with Fabregas.

Also it is the fans on forums (okay, plus papers) that are putting a 60-70 million on Torres. The owners might be happy to take 40-50 million on him the same way their happy to take 4-6 million on Benayoun when supporters think we should be getting 6-8 million for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Latest tidyings of good joy and cheer.

Benni in the departure lounge :(
    Masch wants to go to Inter and studying Italian :(
    Babel for sale :(
    Degen for sale :(
    Riera Winger for sale :(
    Cavalieri wants a move :(
    Gerrard "waiting to see if the club cn match their ambition" :(
    Nando "waiting to see if the club cn match their ambition" :(
    Benayoun could prompt Anfield exodus
    Tony Barrett June 15, 2010

Yossi Benayoun has taken a significant step towards leaving Liverpool for Chelsea by agreeing in principle a four-year contract with the Barclays Premier League champions.

Although a fee has yet to be agreed between the clubs, such is Benayoun’s determination to quit Anfield that Liverpool officials have been braced for his departure for some time.

Benayoun, 30, is known to have fallen out with Rafael Benítez and it was widely assumed that the Israel midfield player would stay if the manager left. But even the removal of Benítez from the equation has not been enough to convince him to remain.

Chelsea are keen to recruit Benayoun to fill the void that will be created when Joe Cole leaves Stamford Bridge on a free transfer this summer and have made Liverpool an offer in the region of £4 million.

That bid has been rejected by Liverpool, who feel Benayoun is worth at least twice that amount. But the club are increasingly resigned to his departure and a compromise fee of about £5.5 million is likely to be agreed.

Benayoun has completed only 12 months of a four-year contract worth £55,000 a week and only last month claimed that “if it depended on me, I would stay here and retire in Liverpool. The fans are the best in the world, but it depends on a lot of things.”

However, the lure of playing in next season’s Champions League, for which Liverpool failed to qualify, and a substantial pay rise have contributed to Benayoun’s desire to leave the club he joined from West Ham United in July 2007.

Should Benayoun complete his move to West London, he could be the first of a number of players to leave Liverpool in what is likely to be a summer of upheaval in the wake of Benítez’s exit.

Javier Mascherano is keen to follow the Spaniard to Inter Milan and is learning Italian while on World Cup duty with Argentina. Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres have refused to discuss their futures until after the tournament and are waiting to see if Liverpool can match their ambitions before deciding whether to stay or go.

A number of other players are up for sale, with Liverpool open to offers for Ryan Babel, Albert Riera and Philipp Degen, among others, while Diego Cavalieri, the club’s second-choice goalkeeper, is seeking a transfer to secure regular first-team football, having been understudy to Pepe Reina for two years.

It is against this backdrop that Liverpool continue their search for a new manager. Club officials are adamant that they will not be rushed into a replacement for Benítez despite speculation suggesting that Roy Hodgson, the Fulham manager who is widely believed to be their No 1 target, was hoping to be offered the job before travelling to South Africa this week.

Hodgson will be aware that popular support for Kenny Dalglish, his long-time friend, to become Benítez’s successor is growing on Merseyside, with the Liverpool legend having made it clear that he would like to be considered for the position.

While Hodgson has not made a decision to leave Fulham, it is understood that he would like to hear what Liverpool have to say.

Liverpool, though, are comfortable with the way that their recruitment process is going, the desire to ensure that they attract the best possible manager available overriding any yearning to make a hasty appointment that they could come to regret.

That leaves Hodgson, who is working as a BBC pundit at the World Cup, in limbo to a degree, unsure whether he will be the subject of the formal approach that had seemed to be inevitable only a week ago.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7150153.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Latest tidyings of good joy and cheer.

Benni in the departure lounge :(
    Masch wants to go to Inter and studying Italian :(
    Babel for sale :(
    Degen for sale :(
    Riera Winger for sale :(
    Cavalieri wants a move :(
    Gerrard "waiting to see if the club cn match their ambition" :(
    Nando "waiting to see if the club cn match their ambition" :(

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7150153.ece

Stumpy should have fun with that one.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Stumpy should have fun with that one.

He Finking should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Yossi will be missed on the field more than Masch, who'll be pretty easily replaced, actually Lucas showed last year that he actually can step up his game.
    Masch gave it all but he's a dirty player who's constantly booked and then gets suspended.

Yossi could add someting and try something when LFCs backs were against the wall.
    Rafa didn't like that and now instead of stickin to try and prove himself to a new boss, he's off to Chelsea where he knows the coach want him.

Of all the other players, I'd be sad to see Babel go, the rest wont be missed.
    Stevie G and Torres I hinestly believe will not go, but LFC need to get a manager in places and quickly, the sooner Daglish is announced the better and he can get in some players and make it a priority to keep the ones he wants.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He Finking should

She should !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Yossi will be missed on the field more than Masch, who'll be pretty easily replaced, actually Lucas showed last year that he actually can step up his game.
    Masch gave it all but he's a dirty player who's constantly booked and then gets suspended.

Masch was the top tackler in the Premier league this season and Liverpools top passer. If he goes he will be missed (and a lot more than Benny)no question about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Stevie G and Torres I hinestly believe will not go, but LFC need to get a manager in places and quickly, the sooner Daglish is announced the better and he can get in some players and make it a priority to keep the ones he wants.

Didn't Dalglish rule himself out recently?

suppose Babel will be missed by the rest of the bench warmers.

Has Kenny not withdrawn his name?

absolute BS, Masch is the top destructive player in the world imo..

and for a player that is dirty and "who's constantly booked and then gets suspended" he managed to play 31 games in the league for us last season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'm tired of hearing ****e like this from football fans week in week out, surely there's a football for dummys book out there to bought, even some kind of basic manual.

I'm tired of hearing ****e like this from football fans week in week out, surely there's a football for dummys book out there to bought, even some kind of basic manual.

well when all you see is match of the day and listen to those Sky numpties this is what you get!

Sorta like when Americans wonder why they're all so thick and then you see the sh!te about creationism and religion taught in their schools...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

absolute BS, Masch is the top destructive player in the world imo..

Oh my god - I can actually agree with you on something!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yossi could add someting and try something when LFCs backs were against the wall.
    Rafa didn't like that
    and now instead of stickin to try and prove himself to a new boss, he's off to Chelsea where he knows the coach want him.

Utter bóllix tbh

• Advertisement

well when all you see is match of the day and listen to those Sky numpties this is what you get!

Sorta like when Americans wonder why they're all so thick and then you see the sh!te about creationism and religion taught in their schools...

Yeah , it's bet to avoid the BBC and Sky for your football fix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement