Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    1) Sam can work on a budget (Bolton).

2) He'd be relatively cheap.

3) it'd stick 2 fingers up at the fans.

4) it'd stick 2 fingers up at Rafa.

i'd like to qualify all this by saying it won't happen, but i can see why those leeches would think about going for him. he ticks most of their useless boxes.

They bring Sam in and wrestling won't be the only time you get to see a chair shot on tv during a sports/sports entertainment programme.:D

Just think next season you could have a Michael Cole moment on Sky Sports with Andy Gray shouting "What a hit son. Vintage Kess."

Chairshot.jpg

And then I scamper back up into the rafters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i don't buy the 'short term thing', with the exception of Kenny i genuinely can't think of any reason why anyone would take it as a short term gig. I think people are just preparing thenselves for the worst.

So which rag did the small Sam rumour come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

rarnes1 wrote: »

His mother probably started the rumour. Cannot imagine anyone else believing he could do a good job.

i expect EagleEye to be along shortly :p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »

I was assuming it was just made up by a poster here as a lol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

It definitely seems Liverpool are biding their time in appointing the next manager, that might suggest Dalglish and Hodgson aren't as high up the list as initially believed.

Perhaps we're waiting for the World Cup to finish before any announcement is made?

It was quite sad to see Benitez holding a press conference for Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i absolutely 100% assure you, if either got the job the yank apologists and/or the anti Rafa-heads around here would try and justify it.

I 100% assure you, whoever gets the jobs won't be good enough for the members of the Rafa cult around here.

there is managers in the world who could be an improvement on him at this moment in time, no doubt. we won't be gettin one though. also, we're now a club who pack a managers after a bad season, bad thing.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I 100% assure you, whoever gets the jobs won't be good enough for the members of the Rafa cult around here.

Ha ha. Don't worry their pretty fickle, they'll form a nice neat cult behind whoever is appointed next.

there is managers in the world who could be an improvement on him at this moment in time, no doubt. we won't be gettin one though. also, we're now a club who pack a managers after a bad season, bad thing.

Or after 6 seasons without delivering a league title.

Just saying. Bit of balance Al - bit of balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

and i assure you that all those who wanted rafa out will want the next fella out after our first loss next season, or when Jamie and Ronnie tell them he's no good

tinner777 wrote: »
    and i assure you that all those who wanted rafa out will want the next fella out after our first loss next season, or when Jamie and Ronnie tell them he's no good

Or possibly after 6 seasons....

Don't be dramatic for the sake of it.

Or after 6 seasons without delivering a league title.

Just saying. Bit of balance Al - bit of balance.
    Some people desperately need to get this into their head. A league title is not a barometer for a successful manager at Liverpool FC currently.

Some people desperately need to get this into their head. A league title is not a barometer for a successful manager at Liverpool FC currently.

Champions league Qualification is I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Some people need to get this into their head, Rafa had more than one bad season and more than a few in the league.

Look I don't think he was going to win us a league title in the near future - wouldn't have minded if he had stayed given how our ambitions have been reduced for the following season. If you count someone as me as somehow 'anti-Rafa' for that preceding opinion then...

I wish we would stop talking about him tbh.

Or possibly after 6 seasons....

Don't be dramatic for the sake of it.

why not? i'm still rightly pissed that we got rid of a manager with no replacement sorted. Can you imagine that shower of **** up the m62 doing that, ok fergies for the sack lads, his stomach problems are stinking the office out, will we sort out someone else, nah leave it, someone will show up...

why not? i'm still rightly pissed that we got rid of a manager with no replacement sorted. Can you imagine that shower of **** up the m62 doing that, ok fergies for the sack lads, his stomach problems are stinking the office out, will we sort out someone else, nah leave it, someone will show up...

Yeah but whats all that got to do with you saying people would want a new manager out after a couple of bad games?

noodler, you regulary talk about Robbie Keanes time at Liverpool well over a year after he left-and you expect Rafa to be off topic after a couple of weeks? says a lot to be honest.

noodler, you regulary talk about Robbie Keanes time at Liverpool well over a year after he left-and you expect Rafa to be off topic after a couple of weeks? says a lot to be honest.

Yeah, it was one of Rafa's biggest mistakes during his term alright.

Is that your criteria for being anti-Rafa?

Says alot to be honest.

• Advertisement

no, my criteria would be people who lie to belittle his time at the club. and who wish he was no longer discussed in the Liverpool thread 2 weeks after he is sacked. that'll do for starters.

no, my criteria would be people who lie to belittle his time at the club. and who wish he was no longer discussed in the Liverpool thread 2 weeks after he is sacked. that'll do for starters.

We can discuss the pros and cons of a manager until the cows come home.

This incessant crying from you in recent weeks and telling everyone how sorry they are going to be (without really knowing who you are directing it at) is what I wish would end.

Who is lieing to belittle his time there? Me? How so?

Yeah, it was one of Rafa's biggest mistakes during his term alright.

you see i dont get this, i thought this was one of his best moments, getting rid of a expensive flop half way though a season, who had no place in his team, what balls the man had.

you see i dont get this, i thought this was one of his best moments, getting rid of a expensive flop half way though a season, who had no place in his team, what balls the man had.

Well I'd say flop is a bit extreme but I get your point.

However, you surely agree that a manager such as Rafa has to take the heat for buying such an expensive player when it does not work out?

There are other issues as well like not replacing him for the second half of the season and leaving us very light at the start of 2009.

We can discuss the pros and cons of a manager until the cows come home.

This incessant crying from you in recent weeks and telling everyone how sorry they are going to be (without really knowing who you are directing it at) is what I wish would end.

Who is lieing to belittle his time there? Me? How so?
    You said he had more than one bad year since he's been at the club. It was a lie.

You said he had more than one bad year since he's been at the club. It was a lie.

Some people need to get this into their head, Rafa had more than one bad season and more than a few in the league.

Well I respect your opinon on seasons on an overall basis.

Would you agree he had more than one bad season if we just take the league into account?

I only ever engage in these discussions with you because I think you are overstate the man's tenure at the club. I was quite happy with him an overall basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Why are you taking only the league into account? Are FA cups and Champions League finals not of any merit?

i would agree he had more than one season in the league that should have people questioning his place at the club, he had two, which came 5 years apart. We both seem to agree though that the league is not the only factor. If you were happy with him at the club, your posts here the last few weeks seem very strange.

Why are you taking only the league into account? Are FA cups and Champions League finals not of any merit?

I wasn't, I thought I quite clearly said I thought he had more than one bad season overall and more than 2 in the league?

Alan stated he feels Rafa never had more than one bad season as a whole, so now I am wondering if he feels Rafa underperformed in the league more than once..

Well I'd say flop is a bit extreme but I get your point.

However, you surely agree that a manager such as Rafa has to take the heat for buying such an expensive player when it does not work out?

There are other issues as well like not replacing him for the second half of the season and leaving us very light at the start of 2009.

sure, issues like transfer money being used for contracts etc, but listen i haven't the heart to go on and on about it.

Who's selling our players given we have no manager?

• Advertisement

i would agree he had more than one season in the league that should have people questioning his place at the club, he had two, which came 5 years apart. We both seem to agree though that the league is not the only factor. If you were happy with him at the club, your posts here the last few weeks seem very strange.

What did I say really though?

Pointing out a mistake or two that he made throughout his Liverpool career is hardly indicative of someone's feelings towards the man.

I was quite happy with his contribution to the club over 6 years without wanting to overstate what was achieved.

You remember writing this right? This reads that you thought he had more than one bad season overall(he didn't), and that he had nope than a few bad seasons in the league (he had 1 in his first, and 1 in his last).

You remember writing this right? This reads that you thought he had more than one bad season overall(he didn't), and that he had nope than a few bad seasons in the league (he had 1 in his first, and 1 in his last).

Of course I remember, sure I quoted again above?

In 06/07 we finished with 68 points. A whopping 31 points behind Utd. This, for me, constitutes a very poor league season. So not just his first and not just his last.

Of course I remember, sure I quoted again above?

In 06/07 we finished with 68 points. A whopping 31 points behind Utd. This, for me, constitutes a very poor league season. So not just his first and not just his last.

Utd did not get 99 points that season.

5starpool wrote: »
    Utd did not get 99 points that season.

Apologies, mathes fail.

They got 89, the difference therefore being 21.

My point stands of course.

when you take into account our preparation for a european cup final being reflected in our final tally, your point really doesn't stand up to be honest, not even a little. At the very least your point has 33% less significance than you thought it did :p

when you take into account our preparation for a european cup final being reflected in our final tally, your point really doesn't stand up to be honest, not even a little. At the very least your point has 33% less significance than you thought it did :p

It absolutely stands up.

There are two things to consider:

1) Is whether or not I should give a damn if Rafa was fielding weak teams towards the end when deciding whether or not the league season was poor.

2) If you had to, how many points would you take off the gap of 21? I mean how many of the poor results in the end would you attribute to Rafa 'preparing' for the European cup final?

Even still, this is one of those times where I feel you are going above and beyond to defend him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

How though? How could Hodgson be happy with a contract which could, in all liklihood, be as temporary as six months?

EDIT: Does he not realise Harry is English and Liverpool aren't part of the big four atm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

A year contract should be sufficent for Woy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Can anyone tell me why our ambitions and targets for next season have been lowered so much from this time last year. So far the only departure is benitez a new manager with new ideas will create a bounce effect in the squad and i fully expect a much improved performance next season, the squad as a whole underperformed last year that will not happen again. But what about all the departures to come i hear you say, Ill believe them when i see them at present we have the makings of a team to compete with anyone. The media have turned liverpool fans into the most depressing shower of whingers ive ever seen. Newsflash the media lie and exaggerate, today the list of players in the papers leaving the club include torres stevie yossi riera masch babel caveleiri degen johnson and probably a couple of others i cant remember get a grip lads selling all your assets does not assist an attempt to sell a business for the best price H&G are bussiness men whatever else they maybe. Obviously all the above will be proven to be complete rubbish if the club appoints that gob****e big sam. Heads up lads this doomsday stuff is over the top

Your optomism is not welcomed here ! :p

Only joking, hope you are right obviously. It's just hard to see the club going forward while the americans are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

poolboy wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why our ambitions and targets for next season have been lowered so much from this time last year. So far the only departure is benitez a new manager with new ideas will create a bounce effect in the squad and i fully expect a much improved performance next season, the squad as a whole underperformed last year that will not happen again. But what about all the departures to come i hear you say, Ill believe them when i see them at present we have the makings of a team to compete with anyone. The media have turned liverpool fans into the most depressing shower of whingers ive ever seen. Newsflash the media lie and exaggerate, today the list of players in the papers leaving the club include torres stevie yossi riera masch babel caveleiri degen johnson and probably a couple of others i cant remember get a grip lads selling all your assets does not assist an attempt to sell a business for the best price H&G are bussiness men whatever else they maybe. Obviously all the above will be proven to be complete rubbish if the club appoints that gob****e big sam. Heads up lads this doomsday stuff is over the top
    You have'nt seen the clubs accounts them have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Mister men wrote: »
    You have'nt seen the clubs accounts them have you.

Of course i have whats your point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

whats the story with aqualani?
    will he return to italy, prob likely?

conno16 wrote: »

Why would he?

He isn't shágging Rafa afiak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I still read every single post, but I think I hate this thread now. Just had to get that out.

conno16 wrote: »

You just seem to pop in once or twice a day, post something random and likely to get people arguing, but then not participate in the discussion too much.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Source not the best but Inter Milan boss Rafa Benitez: Give Liverpool job to Kenny Dalglish

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1286882/Rafa-Benitez-Give-Liverpool-job-Kenny-Dalglish.html#ixzz0qxaTql00
    Rafa Benitez threw his weight behind Kenny Dalglish's bid to become Liverpool manager and hailed him as the perfect fit to revive their fortunes.

Inter Milan's new coach made his first appearance before the Italian media, but still found time to address his departure from Anfield and the subject of who should replace him.

Despite Roy Hodgson remaining Liverpool's preferred choice, Benitez insisted Dalglish was best qualified to appease disgruntled fans and ease some of the pressure on owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Reflecting on the way Dalglish has been revered by Liverpool followers ever since his arrival from Celtic in 1977, the former Liverpool manager said: 'I think they should look at Kenny Dalglish. He is the best man for the job. The owners should listen to the fans because they are unhappy.

'No one knows the club better than Dalglish, and he would be perfect there. He wants the job and in my opinion he should get it.'

Benitez was axed earlier this month amid claims that several senior players had lost faith in him during a calamitous season in which Liverpool would have missed out on Europe altogether, but for Portsmouth's financial predicament.

He strongly denied losing the dressing room, though, and revealed that he made a point of sending birthday wishes to Steven Gerrard when the Liverpool skipper was 30 at the end of last month.

'Before I left, I spoke with 95 per cent of the Liverpool players, and I contacted Steven Gerrard on his birthday,' he added.

'The majority said, "Thank you for everything". I spoke with Gerrard, and he was fine. In fact, he wished me well. I left on a positive note and the relationship with the players was good.

'It was hard for me to leave Liverpool. It was really difficult and I was sad to go. It was not easy, because the fans on the Kop were always fantastic to me. All the fans were like that. It was a sad day when I left, but I had to do it.

'My youngest daughter grew up in Liverpool. I was there for six years and she is only seven, so we will be looking at English schools. Both the girls were very attached to Liverpool - neither of them supports Everton.'

Benitez, who signed a two-year contract worth more than £4million a year, was frequently at odds with his predecessor Jose Mourinho, when they were rivals in the Barclays Premier League.

He hinted he may seek his advice, though, once he has assessed his squad and the former Chelsea boss has settled in at Real Madrid.

'I haven't spoken with Mourinho, because I have been very busy and so has he,' he said.

'Maybe I will talk with him in a few weeks when we are not so busy.

'I am not an anti-Mourinho, and I believe he did a good job here. We are different, but I like to win and I like to play good football, so I don't think we are all that different. I am not going to change anything, because that would not be very clever.'

Benitez confirmed he will look to strengthen Inter's squad, despite last season's eye-catching success at home and in Europe, and has been linked with moves for Liverpool midfielders Javier Mascherano and Dirk Kuyt.

'I cannot talk about players at other clubs,' he said. 'I will discuss possible transfer targets with the people here, but I think we will be looking to bring in top-level players.

'A few years ago, there was interest in me from Inter, but we didn't have any direct contact. Now this opportunity has come at the right time, and I mean to make the most of it.

'In Italy, you live and breathe football. In Sardinia, where I was on holiday, I saw reporters and paparazzi at my hotel in all positions, 4-5-1, 4-3-3.'

Liverpool, meanwhile, denied claims that Chelsea had offered £50m for striker Fernando Torres and reiterated their stance that any such approach would be rejected.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement