Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

95% of the players? Who wouldn't he have spoken to? Rieira and a few youngsters? Or those with their international teams maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I still read every single post, but I think I hate this thread now. Just had to get that out.

This. Oh This so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I still read every single post, but I think I hate this thread now. Just had to get that out.

reminds me of that mafia quote, just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in. ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Archimedes wrote: »
    95% of the players? Who wouldn't he have spoken to? Rieira and a few youngsters? Or those with their international teams maybe...

To take 95% literally Reira would be almost 1/20 of the squad
    :rolleyes:

micks wrote: »
    To take 95% literally Reira would be almost 1/20 of the squad
    :rolleyes:

Which is why I said Riera and who else. Or did you not finish reading my post because of the instant boner you got when you realised you could get to use the pathetic roll-eyes?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Which is why I said Riera and who else. Or did you not finish reading my post because of the instant boner you got when you realised you could get to use the pathetic roll-eyes?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think Rafa was being too exact with his figures. For example if it was just Riera he didn't talk to, I don't think he would have said "I have spoken to 97.2% of the players".

Riera is a definate, and probably the only one. Other potentials I guess would be Babel (though I doubt it) and Itandje (still a member of the squad in theory so could be included) and maybe fringe players who barely ever saw the training ground like Degen.

Babel perhaps, Riera for sure.

Outside that, not sure of anyone tbh.

I don't think Rafa was being too exact with his figures. For example if it was just Riera he didn't talk to, I don't think he would have said "I have spoken to 97.2% of the players".

Riera is a definate, and probably the only one. Other potentials I guess would be Babel and Itandje (still a member of the squad in theory so could be included) and maybe fringe players like Degen.

Yeah, Im just saying for him to say 95% rather than 99% means that it was probably more than just Rieira. Why do you say Babel? Something happen there that I've missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This. Oh This so much.

Medals for you lads in the post.

Riera is a definate, and probably the only one. Other potentials I guess would be Babel (though I doubt it) and Itandje (still a member of the squad in theory so could be included) and maybe fringe players who barely ever saw the training ground like Degen.

Don't hate it enough not to post though?

Yeah, Im just saying for him to say 95% rather than 99% means that it was probably more than just Rieira. Why do you say Babel? Something happen there that I've missed?

Not particularly. I edited my post to add (though I doubt it), they just seemed to have a fairly frosty relationship, probably no malice, but I'm sure everyone has work colleagues they wouldn't go out of their way to contact when leaving. With Babel's improved attitude for the last few months however, I would doubt he was excluded from Rafa's wellwishings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Babel is or was a fan of odd the twitter outburst.

He probably meant Riera and maybe one or two players out on loan or something.

noodler wrote: »
    Medals for you lads in the post.

Don't hate it enough not to post though?

Tinner summed it up nicely! ;)
    tinner777 wrote: »
    reminds me of that mafia quote, just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in. ...

I have posted significantly less in this superthread then any of the previous Liverpool ones however, despite having much more time to do so at work then I would have before (between calls in Tech Support - over half of every day is internet browsing waiting for calls - though i'm not complaining!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

They should have left the Rafa thread open, most the ****e posts were kept in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I swore I wouldn't read the tabloid crap. You'd think with a World Cup I could be distracted, but No.

In fairness, I thought last summer was bad enough with the Alonso/Masch speculation. This is far worse.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Just to lighten things up a bit around here.....
    G&H or diddy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Forget about Diddy, whatever happened to Snoogy Doogy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

To those who mentioned Rafa losing the dressing room...

Daniel Agger has reasserted his commitment to Liverpool despite the departure of the man who brought him to Anfield.

The 25-year-old, who was signed by Rafael Benitez in January 2006, claims the Spaniard's exit has no bearing on his future.
    "The time with him was good. He is a good manager, he knows his stuff and he knows what football is about," said Agger.

"When I return from my summer holiday, I'll see what is new, but his exit has no bearing on my future. I'm committed to Liverpool."
    Meanwhile, Jamie Carragher has wished Benitez all the best in his new job in Italy.
    "I would like to thank Rafael Benitez for what he did for me and wish him luck at Inter Milan," he said.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/agger-and-carra-on-new-manager

Let me guess, he only said that because he had to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I think people are reading too much into this "95%" thing

Sure I say that 95% of the time and it means f all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

To those who mentioned Rafa losing the dressing room...

Daniel Agger has reasserted his commitment to Liverpool despite the departure of the man who brought him to Anfield.

The 25-year-old, who was signed by Rafael Benitez in January 2006, claims the Spaniard's exit has no bearing on his future.
    "The time with him was good. He is a good manager, he knows his stuff and he knows what football is about," said Agger.

"When I return from my summer holiday, I'll see what is new, but his exit has no bearing on my future. I'm committed to Liverpool."
    Meanwhile, Jamie Carragher has wished Benitez all the best in his new job in Italy.
    "I would like to thank Rafael Benitez for what he did for me and wish him luck at Inter Milan," he said.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/agger-and-carra-on-new-manager

Let me guess, he only said that because he had to
    Well I'd certainly expect the lads to be nice about Benitez. No expression of disappointment that he's leaving, they seem pretty neutral about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

To go back to the Dalglish "will he, won't he?" story - I hope to **** he doesn't get re-appointed as manager.

If Liverpool hope to compete with the likes of Chelski and Man U consistently, they need to cut out the sentimentality and obsession with having former players etc as managers.

We need to appoint someone who has had no ties with the club in the past whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

To go back to the Dalglish "will he, won't he?" story - I hope to **** he doesn't get re-appointed as manager.

If Liverpool hope to compete with the likes of Chelski and Man U consistently, they need to cut out the sentimentality and obsession with having former players etc as managers.

We need to appoint someone who has had no ties with the club in the past whatsoever.

I don't think we will be competing with United & Chelsea this season. I reckon people have to lower their ambitions, as much as it pains me we'll be lucky to qualify for Europe if we lose more first-teamers.

We have no god given right to be challenging these teams, especially with the squad we have at our disposal. Spurs squad was stronger than our's last season & they finished fourth, whats gonna happen this season??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

LOL, its Spurs, Villa and Everton at best you need to worry about for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

are you aware of the state the club is in? if Hodgson or Kenny come in, it's purely until the new owners arrive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

That's nonsense. We need to appoint the best man for the job. Whether or not he has ties to the club is irrelevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

apparently BBC news have taken to printing forum posts... Peter Beardsley reckons kenny is the man. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8743027.stm

Kenny has ruled himself out... right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

this bit makes no sense, so if shankly or paisley were available you would not want them as manager :confused:

liverpools last two managers have had no previous ties with the club and neither won the league, the choice is pretty simple here either
    a. you appoint a guy who won the league for blackburn
    b. you appoint a guy who got sacked by blackburn after guiding them to last place in the table

if liverpool choose option b then :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

rossie1977 wrote: »
    this bit makes no sense, so if shankly or paisley were available you would not want them as manager :confused:

liverpools last two managers have had no previous ties with the club and neither won the league, the choice is pretty simple here either
    a. you appoint a guy who won the league for blackburn
    b. you appoint a guy who got sacked by blackburn after guiding them to last place in the table

if liverpool choose option b then :eek:

How about these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Podge_and_Rodge.JPG

:D

EDIT: Oh wait, they're the owners!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

101001 wrote: »
    Kenny has ruled himself out... right?

I`ve seen a few posters in here saying that but i haven't seen any quotes from kenny saying he was out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I`ve seen a few posters in here saying that but i haven't seen any quotes from kenny saying he was out.

Was said on RTE the day of the Germany-Australia game too, Hamann was one of the pundits when it was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RTE reported it on the news part of their WC programme, think it was Monday night. Haven't heard it reported elsewhere.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I was thinking that since he was selected to find a manager he wouldn't put himself forward, but i read (cant remember where) that he took himself out of the running to select a manager as he wants to put himself forward to be the next manager. I also read that his son said that he would love to manage Liverpool again but all these "stories" are unreliable.

I would prefer him over Hodgson, especially if its only a short term appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just watching interview with Capello on the Algeria game and from he was saying I'd be shocked if Carra wasn't starting at CB the next day.

Also Veron is out for Argentina with Maxi set to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Not sure if this has been posted or not.

Liverpool will resist all attempts to snatch any of their players until they have a new manager in place.

And that seems certain to happen within the next week, with sources at Fulham confirming last night they have lost all hope of holding on to Roy Hodgson.

Liverpool dismissed claims of offers for Fernando Torres and Yossi Benayoun last night, by insisting they have not had an approach for any player, and made clear departures would have to be agreed by the incoming boss.

Spokesmen at Anfield have maintained their official position that they will not be rushed into appointing a successor to Rafa Benitez, and will consider every possible detail of every viable candidate before making an announcement.

But yesterday, a senior figure at Craven Cottage acknowledged that the London club now has no chance of persuading Hodgson to stay, with a formal approach imminent.

The Mirror revealed last week that a Liverpool board meeting on Friday has rubber-stamped a move for the experienced manager, and formal contact is expected to follow.

Fulham are aware of that interest, and after talks with their manager before he prepared to fly out to the World Cup, they are now resigned to losing him.

Talks over a contract, security of tenure should there be an Anfield takeover, and size of budget will proceed over the next week, and an official announcement could be made by next Wednesday or Thursday if agreement is reached.

Hodgson has spoken to his Fulham board, and conceded that he would find the offer to manage at Liverpool too hard to turn down, despite his affection for the Craven Cottage outfit.

Liverpool are ready to double his contract and also provide massive bonuses for a top four finish - which is the minimum requirement this coming season, after Benitez finished in a disastrous seventh place during the previous campaign.

They will also offer a minimum of £12million in cash to spend on new players, plus all money raised from sale of players the new boss deems surplus to requirements.

Liverpool are determined though, not to let any players leave until the new manager is in place, to allow him the chance to decide if he wants to keep them.

Fernando Torres is reported to be the subject of intense interest from Chelsea, with sources from the London club suggesting a £50million bid could follow.

Yossi Benayoun has also been linked with a £5.5million move to Stamford Bridge, amid suggestions that the player has already agreed a £75,000 a week contract.

But a spokesman for the Anfield club said last night that no offer had been received from any club for any of its players.

And officials were adamant that even if Chelsea do bid for Torres it will be turned down flat, with Liverpool determined to keep hold of their prized assets.

Hodgson has indicated to close friends that the first thing he will do if agrees to take the job on Merseyside will be to persuade Torres and skipper Steven Gerrard to stay.

He may be more accessible though, to allowing Javier Mascherano to leave, particularly if he can get the £40million Inter Milan are rumoured to be ready to offer for the defensive midfielder.

Hodgson would be confident of finding a replacement for an essentially negative role at that price, with money to spare to make much-needed attacking signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Woy + 12m + player sales, be relatively happy about that. still annoying that it could've been 18m + player sales + Rafa though.

wrote:
    They will also offer a minimum of £12million in cash to spend on new players, plus all money raised from sale of players the new boss deems surplus to requirements.

£12 million + Rafa's £6 million payoff = £18 million transfer kitty Rafa could have been given, not accounting for player sales.

£12 million + Rafa's £6 million payoff = £18 million transfer kitty Rafa could have been given, not accounting for player sales.

I think the board weren't prepared to trust Rafa's judgement on purchasing players. Rightly or wrongly. Aquilani being a case in point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Lads can you's not accept a bit decent news without bringing up Rafa again?

jesus well then they probably should've looked into Roys record in the transfer market.

Lads can you's not accept a bit decent news without bringing up Rafa again?
    In fairness, i'd hardly class it as news, its random tabloid stuff which more than likely has no basis in fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In fairness, i'd hardly class it as news, its random tabloid stuff which more than likely has no basis in fact.

100% crap. Sure every day last week they said 48 hrs until pool make official approach, 24hrs, fulham say he is 100% not going, dalglish to get job, fulham no chance of keeping hodgson. it is all crap. completel bull****. until it appears on the LFC site or you physically see with your eyes on the news something happening it is all lies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If the Swiss can pull off this one I'm 100% behind Hitzfeld getting the Liverpool job!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

hitzfeld.

Anfield.

anois.

In fairness to David Maddock he was the first to reveal that Benitez had been sacked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

In fairness to David Maddock he was the first to reveal that Benitez had been sacked.

Means nothing to me i am afraid. He could be a good journalist with good contacts but a sacking would be released pretty easily as it is a definite and there is nothing to lose.

Was he? I didn't think he was. Also, he's reported we've been taken over numerous times in the last few months, as well as many other non-stories. Wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him.

He was the first to report Liverpool had signed Benitez all those years ago now.

He does however, post a lot of drivel, I'm sure just to appease his editor, but as a news hungry hound I'm pretty well versed in searching for Liverpool news and he does get some big stuff right.

Chris Bascombe used to be good but I'm sure he's working for the NOTW now?

I'm only posting it in case he has got it right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Please give it to Hitzfeld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He knows how to organise a side with little talent or flair so he's good for us! :pac:

We shouldn't sign players on the basis of a major tournament, and the same extends to managers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

We shouldn't sign players on the basis of a major tournament, and the same extends to managers!

I think it also has a bit to do with this.

Switzerland FC Aarau

* 1 × Swiss Cup: 1985

Switzerland Grasshopper

* 2 × Swiss Super League: 1989-1990, 1990-1991
    * 2 × Swiss Cup: 1989, 1990

Germany Borussia Dortmund

* 1 × UEFA Champions League: 1996–97
    * 2 × German League: 1994–95, 1995–96
    * 1 × Intercontinental Cup: 1997

Germany Bayern Munich

* 1 × UEFA Champions League: 2000–01
    * 5 × German League: 1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2007-08