Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

I think it also has a bit to do with this.

Switzerland FC Aarau

* 1 × Swiss Cup: 1985

Switzerland Grasshopper

* 2 × Swiss Super League: 1989-1990, 1990-1991
    * 2 × Swiss Cup: 1989, 1990

Germany Borussia Dortmund

* 1 × UEFA Champions League: 1996–97
    * 2 × German League: 1994–95, 1995–96
    * 1 × Intercontinental Cup: 1997

Germany Bayern Munich

* 1 × UEFA Champions League: 2000–01
    * 5 × German League: 1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2007-08
    * 3 × German Cup: 1999–00, 2002-03, 2007-08
    * 1 × Intercontinental Cup: 2001

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Switzerland FC Aarau

Switzerland Grasshopper

Germany Bayern Munich

Spare me your football mumbo jumbo, we need a manager who knows the English league! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He's just Lucky Bill..........one good tournament...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote: »
    He knows how to organise a side with little talent or flair so he's good for us! :pac:

Don't be trolling now Mike.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can make jokes like that! :p;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Switzerland FC Aarau

Switzerland Grasshopper

Germany Bayern Munich

The only thing missing from that CV is achieving a top 4 finish in the Premiership. It must be burning him up inside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We shouldn't sign players on the basis of a major tournament, and the same extends to managers!

A lot of people said his name before today. I cant see how it wouldnt work out for us. A manager with a CV like his doesnt come along every day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Probably should have checked this page before posting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

noodler wrote: »
    20 seasons without delivering a league title................

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

FYP.

? How so?

Is Rafa immune from criticism because the club hasn't won a league in an era?

Bar the next appointment, wasn't the general hope when hiring managers over the last two decades that they would bring us a league title?

• Advertisement

He was the first to report Liverpool had signed Benitez all those years ago now.

He does however, post a lot of drivel, I'm sure just to appease his editor, but as a news hungry hound I'm pretty well versed in searching for Liverpool news and he does get some big stuff right.

Chris Bascombe used to be good but I'm sure he's working for the NOTW now?

I'm only posting it in case he has got it right.

Really got your finger on the pulse there haven't you?

? How so?

Is Rafa immune from criticism because the club hasn't won a league in an era?

Bar the next appointment, wasn't the general hope when hiring managers over the last two decades that they would bring us a league title?

Not immune from criticism at all, he isn't perfect, and he did make mistakes, but a number of managers have now tried and failed to deliver a league title in 20 years. Benitez got the closest out of all of them to a backdrop of chaos and a sell to buy policy. How many years did it take utd to win a league title before Ferguson, through sheer luck made it over the line after 7 years in charge. As you say, bit of balance.

Not immune from criticism at all, he isn't perfect, and he did make mistakes, but a number of managers have now tried and failed to deliver a league title in 20 years. Benitez got the closest out of all of them to a backdrop of chaos and a sell to buy policy. How many years did it take utd to win a league title before Ferguson, through sheer luck made it over the line after 7 years in charge. As you say, bit of balance.

I think you completely missed the point and context of the point.

Sorry you wasted your time though!

I think you completely missed the point and context of the point.

Sorry you wasted your time though!

Damn. Have you been brushing up on those debating skills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Betfair odds on Hitzfeld dropped dramaticly after the Swiss win this afternoon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Woy + 12m + player sales, be relatively happy about that. still annoying that it could've been 18m + player sales + Rafa though.

hodgson is a guy who spent some £30m on the likes of christian dailly, nathan blake, sebastien perez, ashley ward and kevin davies back in 1997/98, this was a time when £30m was a hell of alot of money and the world record transfer was £15m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

rossie1977 wrote: »
    hodgson is a guy who spent some £30m on the likes of christian dailly, nathan blake, sebastien perez, ashley ward and kevin davies back in 1997/98, this was a time when £30m was a hell of alot of money and the world record transfer was £15m

There isnt a manager alive who hasnt wasted money on quite a few players. I dont think theres much point in me rolling out a few examples of the best mangers in the world doing it. I think the next 2 or 3 mangers after him lasted less time than he did.

He also bought stephane henchoz and then b/burn sold him to us. When he bought henchoz it was akin to robbery with violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

First two fixtures of the season are Arsenal at home and Man City away
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8745320.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Gonna be a baptism of fire for whoever the new manager may be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Big Sam always had the hoodoo over Arsenal, so he wont mind that start :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

yom 1 wrote: »
    Gonna be a baptism of fire for whoever the new manager may be

For sure. I said as soon as Rafa left that not everyone would be happy with the new appointment, whoever he is. With there being no stand out candidate it's gonna be a case of getting someone who usually would not have been on a club like Liverpool's radar & giving him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Arse, City, Brom, Brum, Utd

Should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For sure. I said as soon as Rafa left that not everyone would be happy with the new appointment, whoever he is. With there being no stand out candidate it's gonna be a case of getting someone who usually would not have been on a club like Liverpool's radar & giving him a chance.

Unfortunately, there are actually a few stand out candidates, the depression thing is that we probably can't get them.

Lippi and Hitzfeld will likely be free within the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there are actually a few stand out candidates, the depression thing is that we probably can't get them.

Lippi and Hitzfeld will likely be free within the next month.

can't see either of them willing to take a short term contract

Whoever it may be could find life very difficult if he doesnt hit the ground running. We have a very tough first five games with Birmingham and Utd away aswell. So there is every chance that we could have an awful start to the season. If we do then he'll be under a severe amount of pressure instantly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

PiE wrote: »

Should be interesting.

We literally could be in the relegation zone after 5 matches depending on decisions taken this summer.

As things stand, I'd take 3 points from those matches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

PiE wrote: »

Should be interesting.

Memories of how Arsenal started last season is making me feel a bit sick in my stomach :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

PaulieC wrote: »
    Memories of how Arsenal started last season is making me feel a bit sick in my stomach :(

it was one of the only games of the season where we started properly, and should've possibly had the game to bed by half time.

the second half was one of the most depressingly anti-climactic i can remember. it was the first time i fully questioned if Benitez was right for the job anymore.

SlickRic wrote: »
    it was one of the only games of the season where we started properly, and should've possibly had the game to bed by half time.

the second half was one of the most depressingly anti-climactic i can remember. it was the first time i fully questioned if Benitez was right for the job anymore.

Spurs game?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

spockety wrote: »
    We literally could be in the relegation zone after 5 matches depending on decisions taken this summer.

As things stand, I'd take 3 points from those matches!

Ya, it is a ridiculously tough start. Sink or swim time for the new manager whoever he is.

I was thinking more of opening day when they trounced Everton 6-0 tbh Slick :(

That said - spot on about the 2nd half of that game *shudders*

Spurs game?
    I was thinking more of opening day when they trounced Everton 6-0 tbh Slick :(

That said - spot on about the 2nd half of that game *shudders*

ha, apologies, lost track of the conversation.

i thought the game being talked about was Arsenal at home last season.

it's going to be a real baptism of fire for the new manager, if we have one. more and more, i reckon it's going to be Sammy Lee. now that will make you not only *shudder*, but throw up your breakfast.

ha, apologies, lost track of the conversation.

i thought the game being talked about was Arsenal at home last season.

it's going to be a real baptism of fire for the new manager, if we have one. more and more, i reckon it's going to be Sammy Lee. now that will make you not only *shudder*, but throw up your breakfast.

I dunno, if we turned into Bolton for a day I wouldn't mind it being against Arsenal :D

Also, speaking of breakfasts, French Toast & Maple Syrup = WIN :)

Fantastic fixtures to start the season :)

Nice to start with a home tie too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fantastic fixtures to start the season :)

Nice to start with a home tie too.

I would be pretty sure that Arsenal are not overjoyed about a trip to Anfield being their first game.

Looking at the fixtures, if we can get any sort of form and consistency in the coming season, then December and January look particularly good for picking up points as long as we don't go into one of our January slumps.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    as long as we don't go into one of our January slumps.

to be fair, that's like Christmas. you can't avoid it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It's not a bad fixture list really.

New managers often get good results initially, and hopefully the players will be extra-motivated those first few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

to be fair, that's like Christmas. you can't avoid it at this stage.

Does not mean that it should be expected and accepted.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Does not mean that it should be expected and accepted.

obviously not.

*i must insert smilie next time to make sure i'm not taken completely seriously*

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It's not a bad fixture list really.

New managers often get good results initially, and hopefully the players will be extra-motivated those first few games.

I thought optimism was banned on this thread?

• Advertisement

Maxi and Masch starting for the Argies, Maxi deputising for Veron - good for him!

Maxi deputising for Veron - good for him!

imo this just makes it sound like Maxi's that young fella at u-12 games who never gets a run - "good for you little Timmy, enjoy yourself out there ok" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Anyone else been really impressed with hammans analysis of games? He really knows his stuff. I'm not sure why i was so surprised maybe I'm not used to pundits being knowledgeable and level headed. Looking forward to seeing how he develops as a manager

If by some miracle we are in the hunt for a champions league spot it will be a tough finish to the season, with Spurs home and then Villa away, as the final two games of the season.

imo this just makes it sound like Maxi's that young fella at u-12 games who never gets a run - "good for you little Timmy, enjoy yourself out there ok" :D

Ha, I more meant cause most people were expecting him to be culled for the final 23. And even when he made it through he was expected to be a bit part player, but is now starting in their second game. Just glad for him as only 6 months ago his career appeared to be winding down with his lack of international action and his poor club form. Good to see it turned around, and good for liverpool too.

Ha, I more meant cause most people were expecting him to be culled for the final 23. And even when he made it through he was expected to be a bit part player, but is now starting in their second game. Just glad for him as only 6 months ago his career appeared to be winding down with his lack of international action and his poor club form. Good to see it turned around, and good for liverpool too.

True, was suprised Hamman said he didn't think much of him from his time with Liverpool so far - imo he had a very good season when he played, linked up well with the players around him - especially Johnson down the right flank - thought they complimented each other well when they played together.

True, was suprised Hamman said he didn't think much of him from his time with Liverpool so far - imo he had a very good season when he played, linked up well with the players around him - especially Johnson down the right flank - thought they complimented each other well when they played together.

Hamann is correct - Maxi has been less than impressive imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hamann is correct - Maxi has been less than impressive imo.

That is opinions for ya. Id say Maxi has been impressive since he joined

That is opinions for ya. Id say Maxi has been impressive since he joined

I think people are letting one game cloud his general ineffectiveness but there you go.

He certainly wasn't alone when it comes to underperformance.

After a rocky first few games, imo he was amongst our best performers after the likes of Masch, Lucas and Reina. Was very tidy on the ball, never gave it away, and looked especially good when given the chance to play with actual passers and movers like Aquilani and Yossi.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement