Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

noodler wrote: »
    I think people are letting one game cloud his general ineffectiveness but there you go.

He certainly wasn't alone when it comes to underperformance.

He certainly didn't start well and had alot of doubters(still has it would appear) but imo, he was a good player for us in the 2nd half of the season when alot of players underperformed he was consistent.

We'll have to see him this coming season before we start calling for his head or demanding he be inducted to the hall of fame though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

yom 1 wrote: »
    If by some miracle we are in the hunt for a champions league spot it will be a tough finish to the season, with Spurs home and then Villa away, as the final two games of the season.

Why would it be a miracle for us to be in the hunt for a champions league spot next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if we have Torres next year, and he can stay fit for 80% of the season, we'll be right in the mix for 4th at least.

less than that, and it becomes a struggle.

end of IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'd be surprised if we weren't at least in the hunt for a CL spot next season.

We still have some great players. Yes, some of them may be sold. But they will be replaced. The owners aren't stupid. They want out and they know they can't sell a club stripped of all it's best assets.

If Torres is sold it will be a disaster, obviously. But we would have the funds to buy 5 or 6 very good players. Or another star striker and 3/4 other players.
    Similarly if Mascherano is sold, he will be replaced. Probably with money to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/06/14/1976724/liverpool-midfielder-yossi-benayoun-agrees-four-year

any weight behind this?
    no actual quotes from anyone, and it seems to be just coming from isreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jebidiah wrote: »
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/06/14/1976724/liverpool-midfielder-yossi-benayoun-agrees-four-year

any weight behind this?
    no actual quotes from anyone, and it seems to be just coming from isreal

Thats been going on for quite a few days. All the rumours appear to be that the player himself has agreed a deal, but not the clubs. more recent quotes from Liverpool claim no incomings or ourgoings will be done until the new manager is in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

PaulieC wrote: »
    He certainly didn't start well and had alot of doubters(still has it would appear) but imo, he was a good player for us in the 2nd half of the season when alot of players underperformed he was consistent.

We'll have to see him this coming season before we start calling for his head or demanding he be inducted to the hall of fame though :)

He didnt set the world alight but he has a better first touch than the majority of our team and anytime he played wide he kept attacks going with good, quick first touches rather than the move breaking down like it does alot of the time with Kuyt. He was also unlucky not to get a few more goals.

I was happy with his free transfer signing to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Great opening fixtures if not difficult... we have to set the next season alight after that nightmare last year and what best way by beating our main rivals early on and showing them who the f**k we are. Realistically though, picking up 5 or 6 points against Arsenal, City and Scum would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Why would it be a miracle for us to be in the hunt for a champions league spot next season?

Tbh just in negative feeling mode today.....managerless, possible sale of several players, no money, debts, yanks etc etc.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think it would onyl be a miracle of Torres was sold and not replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hamann is correct - Maxi has been less than impressive imo.

He was so so when he first arrived but he slowly improved and was playing well come the end of the season.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Great opening fixtures if not difficult... we have to set the next season alight after that nightmare last year and what best way by beating our main rivals early on and showing them who the f**k we are. Realistically though, picking up 5 or 6 points against Arsenal, City and Scum would be great

I am not worried. We normally have a fairly ****ty start to the season anyway. That ****ty start generally has most fixtures against fairly average clubs - certainly ones that we would expect to finish ahead of.

And don't anyone mention 6 pointers or they will get stabbed in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tom-Hicks-and-Corinthians&id=1151895

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport-old/football/2008/01/27/brazilian-fans-hit-out-at-liverpool-owner-98487-20300636/

https://www.fis.dowjones.com/WebBlogs.aspx?aid=DJFDBR0020100615e66f000gp&ProductIDFromApplication=&r=wsjblog&s=djfdbr

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2010/06/report_hicks_means_it_when_he.php

Depressing reading. Especially the last one where Hicks intends to cover his losses from the sales of the hockey and baseball teams with the sale of Liverpool. :mad:
    He took over Corinthians in 1999 and had them ruined by 2003. How did Gillett, Moores or Parry not see this man as a disaster?

I've been pretty happy with Maxi's performances tbh.

We haven't seen the best of him in the attacking sense but his workrate has been pretty impressive.

Perhaps he wasn't utilised as effectively as he could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I've been pretty happy with Maxi's performances tbh.

We haven't seen the best of him in the attacking sense but his workrate has been pretty impressive.

Perhaps he wasn't utilised as effectively as he could have been.

Playing with reasonably fairly out of form players as well.

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »

Depressing reading. Especially the last one where Hicks intends to cover his losses from the sales of the hockey and baseball teams with the sale of Liverpool. :mad:
    He took over Corinthians in 1999 and had them ruined by 2003. How did Gillett, Moores or Parry not see this man as a disaster?

Nothing new there really - Hicks and Gillett shouldn't have been allowed to by the club in the first place, since they have it's seen the regression of the club snowball into a full blown avalanche.

All we can do is hope that new owners come in, with a solid business plan for the club, not expecting instant results and the ship will steady itself in the next few seasons.

That said, Hicks' stance is threatening any reasonable investors willing to part with their money, the man's diabolical imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

miracle of Torres

Just thought I'd quote that bit :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Nothing new there really - Hicks and Gillett shouldn't have been allowed to by the club in the first place, since they have it's seen the regression of the club snowball into a full blown avalanche.

All we can do is hope that new owners come in, with a solid business plan for the club, not expecting instant results and the ship will steady itself in the next few seasons.

That said, Hicks' stance is threatening any reasonable investors willing to part with their money, the man's diabolical imo

Nothing new in terms of news but it does give weight to the pessimistic viewpoint that Hicks would have no problem selling star players if needs be, just like he did with Corinthians.
    Plus he sold that club to MSI, the Iranian guy who owned Mascherano and Tevez, who although Corinthians won the league in 2005 got relegated in 2007 for the first time in their history. It looks like Hicks wouldn't be too pushed who the club is sold to.

It looks like Hicks wouldn't be too pushed who the club is sold to.

Understatement of the century, he'll hold out for the highest bidder. The thing is whoever buys the club will be buying at a high enough price if Hicks has his way and they won't be spending all that money on us just to see us slip further.

It looks like Hicks wouldn't be too pushed who the club is sold to.

I think this has always been the case - it's a well known fact that he saw Liverpool Football Club as an investment oppertunity, now that he's facing a downward tilt he wants out and like any other businessman in his position, he's going to take the most money he can get.

I'm not trying to justify what he's doing either btw - Moores & Parry weren't good businessmen, they ran the club like a family, and it suffered as a result, Hicks has tried running it like a corporation, and it has worked, only for the debts they saddled onto the club to cripple it, now he's trying to get out and make a profit - of course he doesn't give a shít who takes over as long as he gets what he feels he's entitled to.

Since day 1, he hasn't given a flying fúck about the club - this is obvious imo

• Advertisement

The thing is whoever buys the club will be buying at a high enough price if Hicks has his way and they won't be spending all that money on us just to see us slip further.

True, but any potential buyers may be put off by the high price - they may not be able to afford the asking price and the millions in investment required to stabilise the club. By asking for too much Hicks is pushing LFC further into the mud imo

True, but any potential buyers may be put off by the high price - they may not be able to afford the asking price and the millions in investment required to stabilise the club. By asking for too much Hicks is pushing LFC further into the mud imo

Yeah i agree, i think we're basically our only hope is for a sugar daddy who's in it for the long haul. Wishful thinking!

mike65 wrote: »

Aye, seems to be all over Twitter. Would be good appointment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Aye, seems to be all over Twitter. Would be good appointment.

jeez i dunno.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Splainc wrote: »
    jeez i dunno.....

Did a good job with Villarreal and club record points total for Real Madrid, not to shabby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Pellegrini wouldn't be bad. He's a man manager isn't he? Might get better performances out of Gerrard and Babel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Well judging by quotes attributed to him on Wikipedia he will not be joining, but would a fan favourite ;)
    He was sacked by the club on 26 May 2010. Pellegrini is expected to meet with representatives of Liverpool Football Club on June 18th 2010 to discuss the possibility of taking over the vacant managerial hotseat at Anfield. Although he said Hicks is a knob and doesnt want to work for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Pellegrini would hopefully keep the spanish contingent happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mike65 wrote: »

man i hope thats right

i got him at 16/1

I think he would be a great choice for pool, great experience and did a great job at villarreal with a low budget

• Advertisement

Although he said Hicks is a knob and doesnt want to work for him.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

hmmm... i don't know about Pellegrini. He's unproven in the premiership. And a spanish manager has never won the premier league.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

101001 wrote: »
    hmmm... i don't know about Pellegrini. He's unproven in the premiership. And a spanish manager has never won the premier league.

Either has an Englishman!

Didn't Pellegrini have the largest win percentage at Real Madrid out of all the managers in their history yet still got sacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

How many Spanish managers has there been since 1992?

How many Spanish managers has there been since 1992?

sarcasm... be cool...

haha, I see what you done there!

I think you need to have been reading this thread over the past few weeks to pick up on the joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Anyone be interested in Ottmar Hitzfeld? Not just because yesterday, but I like this guy for a long time. We probably wouldn't be able to persuade him though with our lack of resources. :(

Finical wrote: »
    Anyone be interested in Ottmar Hitzfeld? Not just because yesterday, but I like this guy for a long time. We probably wouldn't be able to persuade him though with our lack of resources. :(

It's been suggested in this thread numerous times, would be a perfect appointment but i really can't see it happening. I don't think he can be arsed with club football and the stresses of it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

It's been suggested in this thread numerous times, would be a perfect appointment but i really can't see it happening. I don't think he can be arsed with club football and the stresses of it anymore.
    Ah right, sorry new to this thread. Yeah I suppose he's a bit old alright, going grey with the stress. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Finical wrote: »

I think most people here would be delighted to either him or Lippi. Personally, I would be a very happy camper. However unlikely it may be.

Im pretty sure i read recently (before the world cup) that he was looking to get back to club football. Specifically club football in either Germany or England. Tried looking up links but cant find anything apart from swiss news atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Pellegrini is expected to meet with representatives of Liverpool Football Club on June 18th 2010 to discuss the possibility of taking over the vacant managerial post at Anfield, also he fancies a piece of Daglish. [7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Pellegrini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

sarcasm... be cool...

Right back at ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Seriously? Wikipedia? Anyone could have written that. You could have written that for all I know
    He was sacked by the club on 26 May 2010. Pellegrini is expected to meet with representatives of Liverpool Football Club on June 18th 2010 to discuss the possibility of taking over the vacant managerial post at Anfield, also he fancies a piece of Daglish, as stated by TommyHass on Boards.ie. [7]
    [edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Pellegrini#Real_Madrid

See...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Obviously I didnt write, just posted it 'cos its the same piece that had said 'he thinks T.Hicks is a knob' a few minutes ago. Read back a few posts and you'l see it. Obviously neither are true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

"And then he replaced me with Lucas!"

Jasus I thought we'd quietly agreed to leave the lad alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

gosplan wrote: »
    "And then he replaced me with Lucas!"

PMSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mascherano's agent says they have been talking with Inter.
    "There has already been a first contact with director Marco Branca," Piccioli told Itasportpress.it. "We are evaluating the move hard and in the next few days we will have a new meeting to better establish the details of this transfer deal."

Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=798113&sec=transfers&cc=5739&campaign=rss&source=soccernet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement