Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Carra did grand apart from pick up a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Jazzy wrote: »
    and your not a troll? putting up fake articles to provoke reaction and not a troll? :)

I'm amazed you copped on that it was fake, very sharp.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC Update

In the last month both Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC have had a significant number of approaches urging both organisations to work harder for a more formal arrangement between them.

Both organisations want to reassure their members and registrants that they entirely share the view that supporters' organisations need to work together in order to secure fan ownership of our club.

Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC have worked hard over the last few months, and particularly the last few weeks, to formalise the combined work of both organisations toward this shared objective.

There were some difficulties in developing the structure of a merged organisation but both organisations remain totally committed to working towards the same goal and have never lost sight of this fact during the dialogue.

We are pleased to say that the discussions that have been continuing have resulted in the issues between the organisations being largely resolved.

Both organisations are currently finalising the details of how a unified organisation to deliver fan ownership will work. We would hope to be able to make a formal announcement within the next couple of weeks about this, but it is reassuring that we can now look forward to coordinated supporters' ownership being pursued in tandem by both Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC

Have you bought a share? Has anyone on here got involved?

Last I heard they reckon they have £40m raised. Still pretty far of the target unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

PiE wrote: »
    I know the whole team was bad but Johnson was mmmmmmmuck tonight.

he was one of their better players against the U.S in fairness. I dont mind him playing brutal anyway, it'll keep other clubs at bay.

Anyone speaka the Spanish?

article
    The national strategist, who finishes breaking contact itself with Real Madrid, where he directed one season, signed by ' Reds' the morning of this Friday. The DT continues their race in Europe and replaces to Rafael Benítez qu assumed like technician of the Inter of Milan. Little the suspension to Manuel Pellegrini lasted to him. The Chilean technician will continue his race in Europe he will do and it in another great equipment and with one of the most winning histories of England: Liverpool is the new house of the trainer. Thus, the DT fulfills their desire that declared a long time ago, to direct in the Premier League. According to the trainer could find out Prensafútbol in the morning signed east Friday with ' Reds' , taking the place that until does few weeks Rafael Benítez occupied, who let England to become the successor of Jose Mourinho in Inter of Milan. This way, a singular is formed enrroque of technicians between Real Madrid, Liverpool and Inter. This Thursday, the representative of Pellegrini, Piccioli Frame, had explained that " we are evaluating the operation and soon there will be a new meeting to define better the last details of contrato". That meeting took shape this morning, with the company/signature of the bond between the ex- DT of the picture ' merengue' and the champion of Champions League year 2005.

mike65 wrote: »

article

From google translate.

Anyone speak google translate? :pac:
    The national strategist, recently divorced from Real Madrid, where he directed a season, signed by the 'Reds' on Friday morning. The DT continues his career in Europe and qu replaces Rafael Benitez took over as coach of Inter Milan.

Soon the layoff lasted Manuel Pellegrini. The Chilean coach will continue his career in Europe and will make another big team with a winning stories from England: Liverpool is the new home of the coach. Thus, the DT expressed his wish that long ago, to lead in the Premier League.

According to the coach could find Prensafútbol signed Friday morning with the 'Reds', taking the place occupied a few weeks ago Rafael Benitez, who left England to become the successor to Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan. In this way, a unique set of technical enrroque between Real Madrid, Liverpool and Inter.

On Thursday, the representative of Pellegrini, Marco Piccioli, had said that "we are evaluating the operation and will soon have a new meeting to better define the final details of the contract." This meeting was finalized this morning, with the signing of the link between the former coach of painting 'merengue' and champion of the Champions League in 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »

article

Basically it says that Pellegrini has the job.

Pellegrini >>>>>> Woy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Pellegrini down at 3-1 on Paddy Power this morning. Is that much of a change does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Please be true...

Dr Galen wrote: »
    Pellegrini down at 3-1 on Paddy Power this morning. Is that much of a change does anyone know?

Headshot got him @ 16/1 afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'd be happy with that appointment.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Headshot got him @ 16/1 afaik

Another nice bet for Headshot if it comes in for him. With luck he had a decent sized wager on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

be happy enough with that appointment too.

Would not see him as an upgrade on Rafa, but I would regard Pellegrini as being around the same level as Rafa in terms of ability etc although with a different style.

If it comes off, it ain't a Hitzfeld or a van Gaal, but it is a hell of a lot better than the British options.

Plus I think getting a relative big name suggests that there are either big changes afoot and/or that the kitty is there for the new manager to develop the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Not overly happy with Arsenal then Man City as first two league games, could have done with a start like that.

Also now overly happy to see Mascheranos Inter rumour drag and become more serious...
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11860_6213881,00.html
    Mascherano, said: "Me to Inter? Ask Benitez. He is the one who knows more.

"Rafa is my teacher. I learned so much from him since I came to play in Europe.

"I am learning Italian, but I don't know anything about Inter. Does Benitez want me? You should ask him as he would know more than me."

The player's agent, Marco Piccioli indicated a move is close and told reporters: "There has already been a first contact with (Inter sporting director) Marco Branca.

"We are evaluating the move hard and in the next few days we will have a new meeting to better establish the details of this transfer deal."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so Jose -> Real, Rafa -> Inter, Pellegrini -> Liverpool, maybe in two years time we could see Rafa -> Real, Pellegrini ->Inter and Jose -> Liverpool :D

copacetic wrote: »
    Not overly happy with Arsenal then Man City as first two league games, could have done with a start like that.

Also now overly happy to see Mascheranos Inter rumour drag and become more serious...
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11860_6213881,00.html

To paraphrase what Carra said, if he wants to go leave him off. Hopefully what ever money we get we can reinvest and I'm sure we'll have him replaced before the start of the season.

If the rumours are true regarding Pellegrini hopefully he might be able to nick a few players from Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd be happy with that appointment.

+1 - decent coach, imo what we need is somebody who can get value for money in the transfer market if funds are going to be tight - hopefully he can do this.

If the rumours are true regarding Pellegrini hopefully he might be able to nick a few players from Madrid.

Alonso, Arbeloa, Kaka & Benzema might do :)

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Alonso, Arbeloa, Kaka & Benzema might do :)

Sure why not :) although with Mourhino there it will be a difficult task.

To paraphrase what Carra said, if he wants to go leave him off. Hopefully what ever money we get we can reinvest and I'm sure we'll have him replaced before the start of the season.

Lucas could play the macherano role leving the cash to strengthen elsewhere.

What type of fee would Macherano be worth, didn't Rafa value him around £50 m last season when there as talk of him wanting out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Funny that Mascherano and Pellegrini share the same agent!

The Muppet wrote: »

What type of fee would Macherano be worth, didn't Rafa value him around £50 m last season when there as talk of him wanting out?

There is a year gone off of his contract since then.

Whilst I would love to get mega money for him, I think that if he goes it will be for €20 - €30 million with the middle ground of those figures being the most likely methinks.

Of course if Argentina do well in the world cup, and Masch keeps playing as he is, then a few million will be added to the figure, and maybe another club or two may get involved and raise the price.

I'm not sure if your taking the piss but your right. Lucas would be more than adequate in defensive midfield. Its a limited role.

He's a better passer too.

To be honest I dont know what type of role that Lucas is going to play. He could play pure defensive if masch goes. But if we get a dm to replace masch perhaps he might play further up the field.

Depends if we get new owners. If we do we can ask 25-30m upwards. If not id say ~20m. The only reason we got 30m for Alonso was because benitez played hardball with madrid.
    Funny that Mascherano and Pellegrini share the same agent!

Interesting....

I'm not sure if your taking the piss but your right. Lucas would be more than adequate in defensive midfield. Its a limited role.

He's a better passer too.

Would hate to see Lucas as a full time defensive midfielder with the same responsibilities as Mascherano.

Masch is head and shoulders above him in terms of tackling ability, timing of tackles, speed, and positioning. Plus Masch's passing ability is quite underrated, he is no Alonso in terms of passing, but he is easily on par with Lucas.

It is not for no reason that Mascherano was a genuine £18 million player at 23.

Lucas is much improved, but he has about as much chance of being a like for like replacement for Mascherano as he does at being a replacement for Alonso.

In terms of being a defensive midfielder,when he plays there, Lucas is a player who is doing well in a position that is not his natural position.

To be honest I dont know what type of role that Lucas is going to play. He could play pure defensive if masch goes. But if we get a dm to replace masch perhaps he might play further up the field.

Depends if we get new owners. If we do we can ask 25-30m upwards. If not id say ~20m. The only reason we got 30m for Alonso was because benitez played hardball with madrid.

Interesting....

Might have a lot more to do with the fact that Alonso is a top class player and the fact that he still had another three years left on his contract when he left in 2009.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would hate to see Lucas as a full time defensive midfielder with the same responsibilities as Mascherano.

Masch is head and shoulders above him in terms of tackling ability, timing of tackles, speed, and positioning. Plus Masch's passing ability is quite underrated, he is no Alonso in terms of passing, but he is easily on par with Lucas.

It is not for no reason that Mascherano was a genuine £18 million player at 23.

Lucas is much improved, but he has about as much chance of being a like for like replacement for Mascherano as he does at being a replacement for Alonso.

In terms of being a defensive midfielder,when he plays there, Lucas is a player who is doing well in a position that is not his natural position.

It all depends on how you want to play. Lucas done really well in that role when Mascherano wasn't there. Its a role that requires intelligence. Reading the game etc. Lucas is quiet good that way. He is also very willing to get on the ball and start things moving forward. Much better than Mascherano in that regard.

My point is Mascherano had his best season last year and we still finished 7th. Alonso had his best season the year before, we finished 2nd. I believe that was the main difference between the two seasons. Creativity always delivers more than destruction.

Might have a lot more to do with the fact that Alonso is a top class player and the fact that he still had another three years left on his contract when he left in 2009.

I suppose yea.

But I think that particular summer transfer period was a bit, for want of a better word, erratic.

• Advertisement

It all depends on how you want to play. Lucas done really well in that role when Mascherano wasn't there. Its a role that requires intelligence. Reading the game etc. Lucas is quiet good that way. He is also very willing to get on the ball and start things moving forward. Much better than Mascherano in that regard.

My point is Mascherano had his best season last year and we still finished 7th. Alonso had his best season the year before, we finished 2nd. I believe that was the main difference between the two seasons. Creativity always delivers more than destruction.

Whilst I don't think that the difference between the two seasons is solely down to Alonso, I do think that the hole left by him cost the team dearly and may have been the difference between 7th and a CL spot.

In terms of Masch and Alonso, I think that an Alonso level player is always more difficult to replace than a Mascherano.

Whilst I don't think that the difference between the two seasons is solely down to Alonso, I do think that the hole left by him cost the team dearly and may have been the difference between 7th and a CL spot.

In terms of Masch and Alonso, I think that an Alonso level player is always more difficult to replace than a Mascherano.

Impossible to replace him really. Such a pity. He brought Gerrard to life. Gerrard this season looked lost.

Losing Mascherano is a blow. But the money may prove more valuable providing its invested in some creativity for the team. Oeuzil please.

Oeuzil please.

Wishful thinking - he's playing well so far in the world cup and only adding to an already excellent reputation he's built up over the past two years or so.

He's a brilliant young player - he'll cost too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Harry Kewel appreciation society... brilliant!

Tycially lazy assessment from Giles, Didi should have spoken up :(

101001 wrote: »
    Harry Kewel appreciation society... brilliant!

Ah haha ha ha .... brilliant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mascherano being under rated on this thread.

Hopefully it wont be like Alonso and we don't regret it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »

im worried what'll happen to the back four if mascherano goes. He takes a fair bit of weight of them. There is NO way lucas can fill Masch's role.

im worried what'll happen to the back four if mascherano goes. He takes a fair bit of weight of them. There is NO way lucas can fill Masch's role.

Well without a proper replacement if he goes, we could see another slump in the defence similar to what happened last season when they did not have Alonso as both cover and as an outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

He takes more than a fair bit of weight. He is a world class defensive midfielder and, bar Messi, is central to Maradona and Argentinas hopes in the world cup.

He will be missed when he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Have to agree 100% either you want to play for Liverpool or you leave - no player is bigger then the team.

K-9 wrote: »

I've never rated him, too negative for my liking, most of his passing is backwards or sideways, he is good at breaking up play though. I think when you sell him sell him he will be replaced with a creative midfileder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I've never rated him, too negative for my liking, most of his passing is backwards or sideways, he is good at breaking up play though. I think when you sell him sell him he will be replaced with a creative midfileder.

He is widely regarded as one of the best defensive midfielders in the world - but you never rated him - fair enough:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=ShamoBuc;66491410]He is widely regarded as one of the best defensive midfielders in the world - but you never rated him - fair enough:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

By whome?

by most people who's sole intention isn't to get sly digs in at Liverpool FC or its players.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    by most people who's sole intention isn't to get sly digs in at Liverpool FC or its players.

Give it a rest AL theres nothing sly about it, I don't rate him because he can't make a decent forward pass, a pretty important attribute for a midfielder I would say.

he regularly contributes forward passes etc. you know this though.

By whome?

Are you kidding me? You don't think Mascherano is one of the best players in the world in his position?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he regularly contributes forward passes etc. you know this though.

Is this a new tactic Al, You tell me what I know and I agree?;)

<edit>
    Hey Al, google this and you'll see there are plenty more (including liverpool fans) that dont know it either.

"mascherano cannot play a forward pass"

</edit>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Have you bought a share? Has anyone on here got involved?

Last I heard they reckon they have £40m raised. Still pretty far of the target unfortunately.

No they are not take cash yet but I will be buying one if this goes ahead.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this,Share Liverpool just wanted 5,000 pounds straight to buy a share.Then the SOS come up with a credit union type idea and also suggested that the price should be 500 to make it more accessible to as many as possible.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement