Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'd take Rijkard over Hodgson. Just even thinking about Hodgson at the club is depressing me.

Why do I always get my hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

http://radioplayer.radiocity.co.uk/

Rafa having a good convo on Radio City right now.

Speaking about greatest wins, and praising some of the players under his reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Brilliant! he'll never sell his house, its his home now... He'll be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I think some folk are dismissing hodgson like he would be a terrible appointment. I dont think he would be a bad appointment, i have others id prefer but hodgson is high enough up the list.

He is currently the manager of the year and (imo) was robbed of that title by moyes the year before. He is no mug.

Frank rijkaard??? :cool::cool:, id rather have klinsman tbh.

Edit.....some good news, agger should be fit for the new season :)

daithijjj wrote: »
    I think some folk are dismissing hodgson like he would be a terrible appointment. I dont think he would be a bad appointment, i have others id prefer but hodgson is high enough up the list.

I've nothing against the man; his appointment though I feel would be met with resounding "meh" from me and possibly a few others.

If is appointed I hope he proves me very very wrong.

Daithijjj, for someone who places so much importance on league position would the fact Roy took Fulham from 7th to 13th not worry you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only if they hadn't also been beating some top teams on the way to a European final I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Daithijjj, for someone who places so much importance on league position would the fact Roy took Fulham from 7th to 13th not worry you?

Once he got them to 40 points he concentrated fully on the Europa League . Cant really judge him based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Mr Alan wrote: »

No, not really. Hodgson took over fulham when they were a sure bet for relegation and then took them to their highest prem position ever (7th).

I dont think a squad like fulhams is able to compete with an assault at a european trophy and the league in tandem. Shakktar, juve and wolfsburg, those 6 games took alot out of that squad. I remember them turning up at sunderland after the away game in shaktar and they looked wrecked even before kick off. And i think the fans of fulham didnt really mind the drop in league form, only 200 showed up at sunderland. Personally i dont think 13th is a true reflection of what he has shown he can get out of his team the year before. If he had managed to win that trophy it would compare to what bobby robson did with ipswich.

Like i said, hes not my ideal candidate but i respect alot what he has done at fulham. When he took over inter many moons ago they were near the foot of the table and morati (think its him) said he had regrets at letting hodgson go.

I think its important that people realise that its other coaches that vote for the manager of the year. Hodgson was within a whisker of winning it 2 years running, i dont think these things can be ignored. Im not suggesting that people are ignoring it but we are in the process of sale and i dont think he would be a bad man to get the job for lets say 2 seasons (like rafa got at inter). When new owners come in, then you can have serious long term plans made but we need a man now and i cant see many 'big names' wanting it too much until that happens.

Sure, they finished 13th last season, but for a side like fulham and the players available to them, the step backwards this season overall could be seen as a step forwards for the club.

Cool. Good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

He'll only be a short term (less than 3 years) appointment IMO, and it appears that his goal will be just to get us back into the top four. It's likely he'll be asked to get serious improvement out of the squad that Rafa got nothing out of last year.

The reason I think that is we don't have much room to increase our wage bill, it's already running at the top end of the range that would be considered prudent and transfer funds will be limited to what we raise in sales.

I think it's entirely possible that the squad we have (plus a couple of smart additions) can finish in the top four, provided we get some luck with injuries.

My preference would be that we get in a new coach for the long term, sold off all the big money players (and the rubbish ones) and focused on buying top notch talent in their early twenties with a view to challenging for the league in three years time. Playing for fourth is not what football should be about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fulham fansite reckons its a done deal

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hodgson_leaves_for_liverpool_533548/index.shtml
    Roy Hodgson has accepted the opportunity to become the next manager of Liverpool.
    Hodgson has agreed terms with Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow but no official announcement will be made until Fulham and Liverpool finalise a compensation payment.

Hodgson is due to talk to senior members of the Liverpool coaching staff to help him come to a decision as to who should be his assistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Great just great. Roy Hodgson.:mad: Can't wait until next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Look at the bright side, at least it wasn't Big Sam. I for one welcome Woy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd imagine he'll make your team better than you were last season. Whether he's the right choice long term is a different issue, but frankly, if he is able to current his current players, and considering how ****e Gerrard's been in the World Cup he should be staying, you'll still have a decent shot at fourth. Hell if Fabregas leaves, you might even be favorites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Roy is prob as good as we can hope for right now but I still can't get my head round the fact we will have to pay fulham for Roy, paid rafa millions to leave now I never studied economics but this is right up there with the ibra/ etto deal in terms of nonsenseness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've nothing against the man; his appointment though I feel would be met with resounding "meh" from me and possibly a few others.

If is appointed I hope he proves me very very wrong.

Exactly. If we are aiming for 4th place, he doesn't inspire me with confidence. I'd wonder why people who were so Anti Rafa would want him, barring just having a change of manager.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

liverpool want to sell torres and gerrard and anyone else they can , this appointment makes this clear to me, and reason they did not want to give job to kenny, they would have stayed for kenny,
    most liverpool fans don't want Roy, yet they appoint him anyway, its fcucked up, he won't last long, fans will hound him out if things go bad,
    he's too much of a nice guy to win major trophies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Sky sprts have just mentioned roy going to pool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

argosy2006 wrote: »
    most liverpool fans don't want Roy, yet they appoint him anyway, its fcucked up, he won't last long, fans will hound him out if things go bad,
    he's too much of a nice guy to win major trophies

Are you serious? Not saying I agree with the appointment but its not Newcastle United, managers arnt chosen to appease fans. Also too much of a nice guy to win trophies? He's won 10 or 12 trophies so thats bull, also came very close to the UEFA cup last year.

Also given the fans record with managers, reckon it would be very unlikley he'd be hounded out by the fans

Again, he wouldnt be my choice as manager but at least be realistic about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

If it is Roy, lets hope he restores a bit of dignity to the club.

He's a very likeable man. Not sure what sort of success he'll achieve but he will be recieved well by players and fans I'm sure.

its clear already appointment is not been well recievced by fans, and he has won only micky mouse trophies ,
    but he is a great guy,
    given a choice of two kenny or roy, fans wanted kenny,
    i wanted neither

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

woy will turn out to be a real coup for liverpool imo

he'll do a far better job than dalgleish, who wouldve made matters even worse

though that said, a real coup for liverpool at the moment looks like a bloke who can keep them in the top 7 realistically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Its very much an appointment for a transitionary period. It probably makes sense considering whats going on.

id be more concerned with the last paragraph tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Lads, chill.

I can totally understand why alot of ye are unhappy. You're previous manager has just taken over the European champions and has been replaced by an old manager from a little club.

However Roy is a very very good coach and likeable. His assistant Mike Kelly is top class. They will get ye playing decent stuff, sometimes boring but ye have much better players than Fulham and you're away record should be much better with Roy than it was at Fulham.

Expect Babel, Insua and other players who have been underperforming to improve greatly.

Also don't be surprised to see Hangeland follow Roy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

It would be great if its true.. I could see him doing really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what a foolish appointment, I honestly dont know what Kenny Dalglish was thinking

maybe he'd prefer an English man in charge, who knows

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Very happy with this appointment. Would have preferred Pellegrini but fúck it, hopefully this brings a bit of stability to the club(and Hangelaand would be nice too)

If there is any benefit to the this is that Hodgson genuinely does seem likeable where as, from an outsider point of view, benitez did appear to come across a little cold. whether that was a language/culture thing I dont know. Either way with Hodgson there (if he does get it) that wont be an issue.

Good point there about Hangeland fullhamfanincork. Every cloud eh :)

Headshot wrote: »
    what a foolish appointment, I honestly dont know what Kenny Dalglish was thinking

maybe he'd prefer an English man in charge, who knows

Dont you have vested interests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dont you have vested interests?

i do but with Pellegrini, thats why im pissed off

na but seriously

even waiting for the wc for some international sides to be over (lippi etc)

are a better choice than Hodgson, i like Hodgson dont get me wrong but theres better qualified candidates out there and you wouldnt have to pay for them I reckon

it would be interesting to know how much pool have to cough up to Fulham for Hodgson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Good point there about Hangeland fullhamfanincork. Every cloud eh :)

Fulham have a manager lined up I do believe. Roy has gone down in the boards estimation for dicking Fulham around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Could have been a lot worse, could have been a lot better.

Headshot wrote: »
    i do but with Pellegrini, thats why im pissed off

na but seriously

even waiting for the wc for some international sides to be over (lippi etc)

are a better choice than Hodgson, i like Hodgson dont get me wrong but theres better qualified candidates out there and you wouldnt have to pay for them I reckon

it would be interesting to know how much pool have to cough up to Fulham for Hodgson

I've been saying the same thing for aaages.

Could have been a lot worse, could have been a lot better.

realistically though, could it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

There are better candidates out there - Pellegrini, Hitzfeld, Van Gaal. But when you consider who this board could have (and probably considered) appointed, he's a good choice imo. Not a long term one, in that i'd expect a new owner to give him till the end of the season to prove himself before they appoint their own man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Helix wrote: »
    realistically though, could it?

As waster pointed out there seems to be better candidates available.

gerrardDM0410_468x779.jpg

just heard de news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Roy Hodgson? Well at least this didn't happen a few years ago, when it would have been Curbishley or Allardyce, but still.......b****x.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ok im a united fan but i think its not a bad thing to have Hodgson as yer manager, if ye can manage to keep yer top players like Torres and Gerrard it would be interesting to see how he fares as regards new signings, I think he could be a great manager for ye and instill the belief that the premier league trophy is number one on the agenda and give yer players more focus who knows how pelligrino would take to adapt to managing an english style team anyways......interesting times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

****ing **** news. And why the **** are we selling Yossi who is one of our best players to Chelsea for 5m ****ing measley ****ing quid? Excuse the language but im very pissed off with the news.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

This appointment is meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Fromvert wrote: »
    This appointment is meh.

I think I'll make that my word of the season if the appointment is true.

I am now in a phase of expecting the worst for Liverpool FC and accepting it will happen.

I expected Benitez to leave (one way or another) at the end of the season and accepted it would happen. It did.

I expected the board to appoint a manager outside the top tier and accpeted it would happen. 99% there.

I'm expecting Gerrard to be lured by Mourinho/Real Madrid over Hodgson/Liverpool and accepting this will happen.

I'm expecting Torres to go to Barcelona after Gerrard leaves as he will see all ambition from the club gone and accepting this will happen.

Fiorentina are chasing Insua. Juventus are looking at Riera. Chelsea are after Benayoun. Birmingham are still interested in Babel. Inter are chasing Mascherano. Jovanovic is looking to pull out of his pre-contract agreement. If Maicon goes to Madrid and Alves goes to Man City then rumours are Inter and Barca to chase Johnson.

Every transfer rumour is about players going out and NONE coming in! :(
    Wait, apoligies there is one, Wayne flippin Hennessy for 2 mill!! WHY ARE WE LINKED WITH A KEEPER FOR 2 MILLION??!!!:mad:

One last thing I'm expecting and accepting it will happen. The owners won't sell, will receive another extension and I'm accepting this will happen.

I reckon we should all declare the Hodgson era a complete and utter failure before he finishes his first day in the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

I think its a deadly appointment.... I think Roy is a brilliant manager so I do and alot of others do too.... Lots of Liverpool fans I know will be happy with the appointment..... We all need to get behind him now dont we?? We cant have what happened last year again so we all need to pull together and get behind the new manager?? I really cant see torres or gerrard going anywhere to be honest...... Im delighted with the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    I reckon we should all declare the Hodgson era a complete and utter failure before he finishes his first day in the job.

What a stupid and childish thing to say?? Why are people on these boards such moans and filled with such negativity????

sisco wrote: »
    What a stupid and childish thing to say?? Why are people on these boards such moans and filled with such negativity????

Next time I'm being sarcastic I'll remember to put in the roll eyes smiley just for your benefit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement