Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's not an attempted explanation, the fact is he was caught, albeit unintentionally, by the Chile player. How is this 'embarrassing for torres'?

:confused:

Going down with the theatrics that he did and staying down when there was nothing wrong with him is very embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ok I will ask you two questions. Did the player from Chile deserve the yellow card which caused him to get sent off? Did he foul Torres?

No, he didn't.

Fernando made a tool of himself. He hasn't been on the ball at all and I can assume that his form led him to be desperate to have some sort of impact on the game. Fair enough, he got tripped but anything after the initial fall was a complete farce.

I want to defend him but there is no excusing that nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

...anyway. His fitness anyone? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ok I will ask you two questions. Did the player from Chile deserve the yellow card which caused him to get sent off? Did he foul Torres?
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Going down with the theatrics that he did and staying down when there was nothing wrong with him is very embarrassing.
    No, he didn't.

Fernando made a tool of himself. He hasn't been on the ball at all and I can assume that his form led him to be desperate to have some sort of impact on the game. Fair enough, he got tripped but anything after the initial fall was a complete farce.

I want to defend him but there is no excusing that nonsense.

Torres was fouled, simple. Not his fault the ref gave the yellow. If he went down like a sack of potatoes and reacted like Ronaldo normally does, I'd be unimpressed, but he doesn't, so meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Torres was fouled, simple. Not his fault the ref gave the yellow. If he went down like a sack of potatoes and reacted like Ronaldo normally does, I'd be unimpressed, but he doesn't, so meh.

End of the day Fernando acted like he was shot, when in reality he was merely tripped up (if even that).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just out of interest, have any of us ever ran at the pace Nando was moving at there? Id imagine a clip at that speed and landing on the ground would hurt a bit.

mike65 wrote: »
    ...anyway. His fitness anyone? :eek:

What injury????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

so its gone from an unintentional, and very minor clip, to a foul. next you'll be telling us it was a deliberate assault from the chile player

re the italicised bit, he went down and stayed down like he was shot in the head ffs

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    End of the day Fernando acted like he was shot, when in reality he was merely tripped up (if even that).

He wasn't merely tripped, he was (unintentionally) fouled and he went down. I'd hardly call it going down like he was shot when he never does usually. Just an instinctual reaction tbh.

• Advertisement

He went down like a sack of spuds when the Chilean player who wasn't even looking at him barely clipped him. This cheating in football is so so embarrassing

He wasn't merely tripped, he was (unintentionally) fouled and he went down. I'd hardly call it going down like he was shot when he never does usually. Just an instinctual reaction tbh.

surely if he never usually does, then this time means he was intentionally cheating and making it look as bad as he possibly could?

Helix wrote: »
    so its gone from an unintentional, and very minor clip, to a foul. next you'll be telling us it was a deliberate assault from the chile player

re the italicised bit, he went down and stayed down like he was shot in the head ffs

It was unintentional, it was minor, but it was a foul, and he went down. Saying he went down like he was shot in the head is a bit ott.

It wasnt a foul, it was just a coming together. You can see Torres' foot hit the Chileans knee, that made him lose his stride and clip his own ankle.

He went down like a sack of spuds when the Chilean player who wasn't even looking at him barely clipped him. This cheating in football is so so embarrassing

Torres wasn't looking at the Chilean player either.

It was no more than a coming together but Torres made it look as bad as possible by flinging himself to the ground and lying there motionless like he'd been shot. Disgusting!

• Advertisement

surely if he never usually does, then this time means he was intentionally cheating and making it look as bad as he possibly could?

No, I disagree, he doesn't normally do it, so to do so out of the blue is completely out of character for him, therefore how can he possibly look bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I didn't reply because you posted, I replied because of the points you made. Is this not allowed?

But there are figures for the last few years for every club. In those figures, Liverpool consistently spent less on wages than Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal. Are you suggesting that in 12 months this has changed? I would argue it has, as Man City have in recent times, thrown money at players like Barry to choose Man City over Liverpool.

Do you have any proof to back this up? Don't forget, during Benitez's time at Liverpool, United sold Ronaldo for £80m which would skew their numbers in a big way.

If transfer spending only plays a small part, why is it that Chelsea, Barca, Inter, Blackburn and Madrid, for example, all spend big to win leagues? i do agree that, in hindsight, transfer fees can be spent poorly. Do you have a link to this study?

So, apart from the fact I agree that certain managers can over achieve, you would agree that wage bills do have a link with league position? Do you have a link to this study?

Man City, up to recently had not spent more on wages. Recently, Man City have managed to convince players like Barry, Adebayor, Tevez, Lescott and Robinho to join, without cl football. This would tell any sane person they are throwing money at their players. Proof of this would be that in the last two years they have spent almost as much on transfers as they had done since the pl began!

But it does explain why 4th, 5th or 6th in the league really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, paricularly when you lose your top goalscorer through injury and you have to sell more players to buy cover!

Buy Soccernomics.

That'll give you access to the studies

No, I disagree, he doesn't normally do it, so to do so out of the blue is completely out of character for him, therefore how can he possibly look bad?

Seriously take off the red tinted glasses a second. He made a meal of it...end of.

It was no more than a coming together but Torres made it look as bad as possible by flinging himself to the ground and lying there motionless like he'd been shot. Disgusting!

Next you'll be saying he pulled a small knife out of his own pocket and cut himself above the knee to draw blood.

coz it makes it more obvious that he was cheating

a chap who never goes down normally according to you, suddenly going down like hes shot with minimal contact makes it look like a desperate grab to make the most of a situation doesnt it

whether he does it regularly or not doesnt mean its not cheating

a player who jumps in two footed and snaps another guys leg shouldnt get away with a suspension coz hes never been booked before

• Advertisement

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Buy Soccernomics.

That'll give you access to the studies

Thanks for clearing all that up.

Next you'll be saying he pulled a small knife out of his own pocket and cut himself above the knee to draw blood.

:rolleyes: Yeah that's exactly what I was going to say.

Seriously take off the red tinted glasses a second. He made a meal of it...end of.

No he didnt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

are people really saying that torres didnt dive ?

No he didnt.

Indeed he did.

coz it makes it more obvious that he was cheating

a chap who never goes down normally according to you, suddenly going down like hes shot with minimal contact makes it look like a desperate grab to make the most of a situation doesnt it

whether he does it regularly or not doesnt mean its not cheating

a player who jumps in two footed and snaps another guys leg shouldnt get away with a suspension coz hes never been booked before

You are comparing apples and oranges. Bad example tbh.

Jazzy wrote: »
    are people really saying that torres didnt dive ?

just wobblyknees who maintains that it was a foul and torres didnt make a meal of it

Indeed he did.

Lets agree to disagree.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Bad example tbh.

not really

your previous track record shouldnt let you get away with as blatant an attempt to cheat as torres made today

just wobblyknees who maintains that it was a foul and torres didnt make a meal of it

It was a foul though.

• Advertisement

It was a foul though.

jesus dude, get some perspective

It was a foul though.

if you wanna get ridiculous then, sure it was torres who kicked the poor chilean's knee - the dirty bugger

shouldve been a free out

It was a foul though.

1277496422531i1sy.gif

Look he even flails his head and his arm around the place as well for extra drama.......:o:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

1277496422531i1sy.gif

It was a foul though.

It really wasnt, they ran into each other.

not really

your previous track record shouldnt let you get away with as blatant an attempt to cheat as torres made today

I'm not saying it should, or shouldn't for that matter. I stand by the fact that it was a foul and given Torres excellent reputation, he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Look he even flails his head and his arm around the place as well for extra drama.......:o:rolleyes:

His head spins round and arms go up as he is falling. That's just instinct.

That's blooming embarassing Funkz.

Just waiting for a United fan to come in with the first clip that comes up when you search on youtube for "Torres Diving".

• Advertisement

Thanks for clearing all that up.

You're welcome.

It's all very well detailed in there.

His head spins round and arms go up as he is falling. That's just instinct.

:pac: now I know you're having a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    That's blooming embarassing Funkz.

Ah here! Same minute posted and all.

And I spent about ten minutes looking for where he was clipped (and I didn't see it!

He's playing for Spain.

Who ****ing cares whether he dived or not ?

Melion wrote: »
    It really wasnt, they ran into each other.

A foul can be an unfair act by an opponent that impedes the progress of an opponent. This is exactly what happened here.

FunkZ wrote: »

And I spent about ten minutes looking for where he was clipped (and I didn't see it!

Torres' right leg(i think) catches the right knee of the chilean

• Advertisement

FunkZ wrote: »

Nah my friend, I meant that it was embarassing to see how much of a dive it was. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

omg, didnt see the match or this until now....

and.....

ahaahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahaahahah

that is all..

I stand by the fact that it was a foul and given Torres excellent reputation, he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

jesus... a football players reputation is worth f**k all when it comes to cheating. Torres has dived before, he dived tonight and he will dive again.

If you think thats a foul then frankly, your opinion of what is or isnt a foul is worth f-all tbf. just because its fernando torres doesnt mean it wasnt embarrassing. the mere fact that you are even trying to defend it and say that torres went down fairly is making all liverpool fans here look bad. please stop

For those of you who are still confused, here's a real dive:

mink_man wrote: »
    omg, didnt see the match or this until now....
    and.....

ahaahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahaahahah

that is all..

Should be able to offer some excellent opinions on the match so.

Do you agree it was a foul?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement