Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

shotamoose wrote: »
    Hilarious write-up of this from PA:

I like this guy's style.

Giving Purslow the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he's not just flapping about in a blind panic, this and the rumoured approach to Frank Rijkaard make it sound like we're still at the short-listing stage as opposed to the "about to announce appointment of Roy Hodgson" stage.

Who knows what is actually going on, if you were to believe all the insiders on the internet Roy definitely has it, yet here we have Christian requesting a meeting with Didier last Thursday. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Who knows what is actually going on, if you were to believe all the insiders on the internet Roy definitely has it, yet here we have Christian requesting a meeting with Didier last Thursday. :confused:

not sure i'd like deschemps to get it

doc_17 wrote: »
    not sure i'd like deschemps to get it

Why?

I don't think he's top class, nothing to do with him french

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would agree with you there. Would not fancy having Deschamps as the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

He's 41, He's been in a Champions League final, won promotion with Juventus and the French League this year. What more do you want?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Whoever gets the job it's a season of a attrition ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Hi, sorry, maybe this has been posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfcHMoaF5R0&feature=channel, i hope a new manager, who ever it is, will inject new life into the players, and we can see some performances like this again!

He's 41, He's been in a Champions League final, won promotion with Juventus and the French League this year. What more do you want?:confused:

emmmm...Someone who has actually won the CL, along with maybe a couple of leagues in one of the real top class european leagues...say maybe spain. Oh wait...I forgot, apparently that's not good enough for us either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

''Deschamps was only 35 at the time and in his first managerial job, yet it was clear his players – some of whom were not much younger – thought the world of him. Fernando Morientes described him as phenomenal: "Why? He's still new to coaching but he knows the whole world of football. He has played in Italy, France, England, Spain, and he has won everywhere." Not only did they respect him, they played for him wholeheartedly.''

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/may/06/didier-deschamps-marseille , this piece tells a lot about the man ,

for those who don't know a lot about him as a manager,
    like me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

emmmm...Someone who has actually won the CL, along with maybe a couple of leagues in one of the real top class european leagues...say maybe spain. Oh wait...I forgot, apparently that's not good enough for us either.

Personally I feel that Benitez had his chance. He was there six years and most years we didn't even challenge for the league.
    He can't spot talent in players at all.
    While Wenger seems to pick up amazing young players year upon year, we haven't had one single player come through the youth system since Benitez took over.

It is time for someone else to come in, I get the feeling we'll finish better than 7th this year as well....
    I'd be glad to have Hodgson, his teams get results and he knows the English game.
    Plus, he would most likely bring in some tough UK based players, which I think we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So, it seems the Roy stuff was crap. There's a surprise.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    So, it seems the Roy stuff was crap. There's a surprise.

No, it's 100% true if you are to believe more rumours re Ray Lewington.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Personally I feel that Benitez had his chance. He was there six years and most years we didn't even challenge for the league.
    He can't spot talent in players at all.
    While Wenger seems to pick up amazing young players year upon year, we haven't had one single player come through the youth system since Benitez took over.

It is time for someone else to come in, I get the feeling we'll finish better than 7th this year as well....
    I'd be glad to have Hodgson, his teams get results and he knows the English game.
    Plus, he would most likely bring in some tough UK based players, which I think we need.

Too many cliches for my brain to take in.

yeah my problem is this. So many people think the man who led fulham to 13th in the league is the answer to our problems, a man who has never won a major trophy in a meaningful league, a man whose transfer record isn't great (think blackburn rovers), a big fish in a small pond is the reason why so many are calling for him to be given the job.

I'm not saying he's rubbish but he's not brilliant either

yeah my problem is this. So many people think the man who led fulham to 13th in the league is the answer to our problems, a man who has never won a major trophy in a meaningful league, a man whose transfer record isn't great (think blackburn rovers), a big fish in a small pond is the reason why so many are calling for him to be given the job.

We are hardly big fish at the moment.

Big fish with a disease might be more apt.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    We are hardly big fish at the moment.

Big fish with a disease might be more apt.

In English football terms I think we are.

Only time will tell, until then all there is to reflect on are stats like these:

Pos, Team, Games, W, L, D, GF, GA, GD, PTS

2010: 12th Fulham 38 12 10 16 39 46 -7 46
    2009: 07th Fulham 38 14 11 13 39 34 5 53
    2008: 17th Fulham 38 8 12 18 38 60 -22 36 *

* Hodgson took over in December 2007

1998: 19th Blackburn 38 7 14 17 38 52 -14 35 *
    1998: 06th Blackburn 38 16 10 12 57 52 5 58

* Hodgson spent £20m in the summer of 1998 to strengthen the Rovers side. A succession of poor buys – notably the £7.5 million Kevin Davies—coupled with injuries and dressing room unrest led to a disastrous start to the season. He was sacked in December 1998 with Rovers at the bottom of the league table. His final game was a home defeat to Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You two have hopped the fence here. You're telling me:

1) It's okay to pretend you're more hurt than you actually are and stay on the ground for a long time if you think you were touched off the ball irrespective of whether you're actually sore or not;

2) If you are touched you have every right to throw yourself to the ground irrespective of whether the contact is sufficient to knock you off your feet or not;

And to top it off, if one disagrees with the above, they clearly haven't played ball themselves? :confused:

1221020552628.gif

I'm off into town to watch an Irish team play a man's sport.

1. How do you know how hurt torres was? Telepathy? The most innocuous of things can hurt like a 'biotch'. Ever stubbed your toe?.

2. Have you ever been 'ankle tapped' on the run?........im sure the rugby lads can fill you in on that.

3. Since when has it been proved that there wasnt sufficient contact for torres to go down?. Even the cynics who claim to be all high and mighty when discussing simulation love to come out with the phrase...'he was too honest there', on occasions. Wtf does that mean?. It means a degree of simulation is ok..... sometimes. My arse, its part of the game, get on with it. There isnt a team in the world who doesnt have a player whos well capable of it. Is it right? no. Do i like it? no. But if the suggestion is that torres went down of his own accord then i think eye tests are in order tbh. It was a 'coming together'. His ankle clipped the guys kneecap on the run and deflected onto his other leg, he hit the ground as is the norm when that happens, like what happens 10-15 times every time a winger is tackled in a rugby match. What happened afterwards, ie, the length of time he spent on the ground, yes, that is a point of contention and can be seen as him making alot out of it. Then again, unless you are torres, you will never know how painfull or not it was. And my opinion isnt based on him being our player, if it happens rooney tomorrow i will have the same stance. There was probably 10 incidences in the brazil-ivory coast game where the degree of severity was way worse that what happened last night.

4. The player who got sent off should have got a second yellow before that anyway. Rough justice, was never a yellow on torres, but justice all the same for the tackle he got away with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Only time will tell, until then all there is to reflect on are stats like these:

2010: 12th Fulham 38 12 10 16 39 46 -7 46
    2009: 07th Fulham 38 14 11 13 39 34 5 53
    2008: 17th Fulham 38 8 12 18 38 60 -22 36 *

* Hodgson took over in December 2007

1998: 19th Blackburn 38 7 14 17 38 52 -14 35 *
    1998: 06th Blackburn 38 16 10 12 57 52 5 58

* Hodgson spent £20m in the summer of 1998 to strengthen the Rovers side. A succession of poor buys – notably the £7.5 million Kevin Davies—coupled with injuries and dressing room unrest led to a disastrous start to the season. He was sacked in December 1998 with Rovers at the bottom of the league table. His final game was a home defeat to Southampton.

It depends on perspective alot regarding hodgson. He took over a team in fulham who were nailed on for relegation. 16 months later they finish in their higest position ever in the prem. The reward, the europa cup place, where he takes his team further than our club got.

I think im right in saying that none of the next 3 managers after him at blackburn lasted longer than him. That club had some real issues behind the scenes at that time.

The current inter chairman is quoted as saying he had regrets at letting hodgson go. Inter were rubbish when hodgson took over.

Other coaches have voted him the best coach in england this season. And this was after narrowly losing out to moyes for that the year before. Hodgson is no mug. Hes not my ideal man but who is going to take the liverpool job on right now while the club is for sale?. Whoever does could be out of that job by xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can I ask a very simple question.
    Liverpool finished 7th this year, with 63 points, 7 points off 4th place, and 23 points off 1st.
    Do people expect Liverpool to finish higher next season with Hodgson in charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Neberkenezer

interesting article on the cowboy hicks .... i know its been done to death but hearing the likelihood that not a bank in the world may never lend a cent to him again made me smile for a second or two.

http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Magazine/2010/July/Can_Tom_Hicks_Make_Millions_Selling_His_Sports_Empire.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

PHB wrote: »
    Liverpool finished 7th this year, with 63 points, 7 points off 4th place, and 23 points off 1st.

To be honest I dont think we will perform as badly as we did last season so in that respect, no.

However, with sides around us probably upgrading their squads and with Liverpool in the state we are; I, personally, do not think Hodgson is the ideal signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'd expect a decent challenge for a Top 4 spot.

It all depends on what squad we have come the start of the season/end of transfer window in fairness.

If we have the same squad and don't lose our top players I'd expect a higher finish no question.

I think we underachieved last season on 63 points and I think we overacheived the season before on 86 points.

The average of that is 75 points, I'd expect somewhere near that with our current sqaud a few additions. We were badly hit with injuries last year to our key players. We need decent cover brought in.

If we lose Torres/Gerrard/Mash well then obviously it's a different story.

Tough question to answer at the minute as everything is up in the air.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'd expect a decent challenge for a Top 4 spot.

Even if Torres is injured again?

I'd hope next season won't be any where near the cluster **** that last season was in regards to injuries.

I'd hope next season won't be any where near the cluster **** that last season was in regards to injuries.

Well, if it is, next season shouldn't by any stretch of the imagination be that much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

To be honest, id have doubts over Mourinho, Guardiola etc getting this club to 4th place never mind Rijkaard or Hodgson.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, how many on here who were calling for Rafa, aka the manager, to be sacked, will now get 110% behind Roy, aka the manager, if he gets the job? Is it a temporary thing nowadays to back the manager or does it depend on the weather or some other unknown variable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well, if it is, next season shouldn't by any stretch of the imagination be that much better.

facepalm.jpg

mike65 wrote: »
    facepalm.jpg

Come on, if you try a little harder you can do much better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What is with you doing your best to antagonise as many people as possible all of a sudden.

Everyone seems to getting really nervy about our future and have resorted to just bitching each other about nonsense. Chill out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

I dunno about you guys, but i think we've found the new millarsangel :D

You were the one that said that Hitzfeld was not a great choice as he was not proven in the English league. So if a manager like Hitzfeld is not good enough despite having won a couple of Champions leagues and 7 league titles plus plenty of cups, how is someone like Deschamps even close to being good enough?

• Advertisement

Out of interest, how many on here who were calling for Rafa, aka the manager, to be sacked, will now get 110% behind Roy, aka the manager, if he gets the job? Is it a temporary thing nowadays to back the manager or does it depend on the weather or some other unknown variable?

At a guess about as many as that called for Ged's head and then backed Rafa. :p

I did not realise that thinking one manager had taken the club as far as he could meant you could not support a new manager until he has shown whether he is good enough or not.

Kess73 wrote: »
    You were the one that said that Hitzfeld was not a great choice as he was not proven in the English league. So if a manager like Hitzfeld is not good enough despite having won a couple of Champions leagues and 7 league titles plus plenty of cups, how is someone like Deschamps even close to being good enough?

French managers are more proven in the PL.. Like duh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Don't worry lads I'll be banning wobblyknees when my moderatorship is confirmed in the next few days.

French managers are more proven in the PL.. Like duh

Silly me, I should have realised that a young manager who has won feck all and whose biggest achivements include of managing a losing team in a CL final and getting promoted from the French second division and the Italian second division should rank above a manager who would be rated amongst the handful of top manager on the planet and who has a cv to match. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Deschamps would be a great acquisition lads. I believe it was the Flah that suggested him first on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think its boggles (havn't seen seen him for a while, is he banned?)

Don't be facepalming me Mike. ;)

Kess73 wrote: »

I don't think Hitzfeld would be a good choice. Too old and weary for the task.
    He's been very successful working with the best players in the Bundesliga. I don't know how he'd cope with the squad we have. Given the performance of Switzerland, poorly I'd say.

Deschamps is young and ambitious. He might energize the club and get us playing good football.

I think its boggles (havn't seen seen him for a while, is he banned?)

He lost a bet, and the terms were that he had to give up his access to the footy forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

He's been very successful working with the best players in the Bundesliga. I don't know how he'd cope with the squad we have. Given the performance of Switzerland, poorly I'd say.

wrongity, wrong, wrong
    Deschamps is young and ambitious. He might energize the club and get us playing good football.

more and more like newcastle every day. since when is aesthetics more important than winning.

101001 wrote: »
    wrongity, wrong, wrong

more and more like newcastle every day. since when is aesthetics more important than winning.

Well the man making the decisions seems to share my opinion, thats all that matters. Your opinion thankfully means nothing.

Well the man making the decisions seems to share my opinion, thats all that matters. Your opinion thankfully means nothing.

Good grief

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

would you like a hug?

The best players in the Bundesliga? Don't make me laugh, he only had that with one club that he managed in Germany.

You think that he could not work with our squad? Why is that? He has done plenty with a squad far weaker than our current squad.

He also managed to win the CL and the Bundesliga with a club that was having financial trouble when he took it over.

Dortmund had finished tenth when he took over as manager. They had boardroom problems and financial problems. In his first season he brought them to second and went on to pick up two league titles plus a CL in his six years there.

Then he went to a big club that had money and top players, Bayern, and picked up another CL, 5 more league titles, and a number of cups.

Now if being a young manager is all that is needed to beat that kind of track record, then any hungry young manager should do.

Plus if the likes of Hitzfeld is too old and weary, then guys who have been out of the game like Dalglish should never be considered, plus Hodgson should not be considered due to age either.

Deschamp may go on to be a decent manager in the future, but right now he is too inexperienced to manage a top club in a top division, and his track record pretty much shows that as he never managed Juve in Serie A, only in Serie B for one season, and his French league stuff does not carry much weight, only marginally more than leagues like the Scottish and Dutch leagues at best.

Now we may never ever have a Hitzfeld or a Deschamp managing at Liverpool, but to say that Deschamp is the better choice of the two to manage at the top level is madness at this point in their careers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement