Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    well we'll have to pay a few million to get Roy out of contract-surely that'd be better used paying more for a far far far superior manager.

Doesn't Roy have a rolling contract?

I don't think Capello is realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i thought he'd just signed a new contract at Fulham?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

i thought he'd just signed a new contract at Fulham?

I may be wrong but I thought it was a rolling contract that he renews every Summer. I may be wrong though.

I have my doubts whether Capello would want anything at all to do with the mess that is Liverpool at the moment either way. Especially considering the one he's mired in in his curent job.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

if England sack Capello, we have to approach him.

For advice on how to hire a manager? :confused:

For advice on how to hire a manager? :confused:
    I'm pretending he might be interested. Don't ruin it for me.

• Advertisement

I'm pretending he might be interested. Don't ruin it for me.

And I was pretending you weren't pretending he might be interested. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hodgson for England, Capello to retire for a while.

mike65 wrote: »
    Hodgson for England, Capello to retire for a while.

Heres hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Capello is going to be free. If Liverpool got a new owner in quick enough, it could be pretty lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

if England sack Capello, we have to approach him.

You what? He's just be another Rafa in the sense that he'll make nutty changes (i.e. bringing a player like Heskey on when goals are needed) and be someone who'll be a magnet for media criticism. We don't need that right now.

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    You what? He's just be another Rafa in the sense that he'll make nutty changes (i.e. bringing a player like Heskey on when goals are needed) and be someone who'll be a magnet for media criticism. We don't need that right now.

What about the nutty decision to bring a defensive midfielder on when losing by 3 in a european cup final? :D

What about the nutty decision to bring a defensive midfielder on when losing by 3 in a european cup final? :D

It was a move that gave Gerrard more freedom to go forward, so it wasn't nutty. I don't even know why I am engaging you in this. :confused:

You know what I mean, decisions like drawing with Hull at home and bringing on Lucas in the last few mins instead of Keane, that is what I'm talking about.

couldn't give a **** what the media think. capello is an outstanding manager. one of the only men in the world who it could be argued would be an upgrade on Rafa. in a different galaxy to the likes of Woy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

flahavaj wrote: »
    Have ye got 4 million a year?

For wages? If we end up paying our next manager £4 million a year then we are saving a million a year on what Rafa was getting.

well we'll have to pay a few million to get Roy out of contract-surely that'd be better used paying more for a far far far superior manager.

Spot on.

With luck if Capello walks, then Hodgson will get the England job.

couldn't give a **** what the media think. capello is an outstanding manager. one of the only men in the world who it could be argued would be an upgrade on Rafa. in a different galaxy to the likes of Woy.

Sometimes someone who can put team spirit back into a squad is all that is needed to re-invigorate a club. I don't know about you but from the stories we've heard coming out of the English camp in this WC, Capello is not the man for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wouldn't have him near Liverpool, millions a year to play Gerrard wide left and 4-4-2?

stories like what? delayin his team until a couple of hours before kick? being a disciplinarian? the problems in Englands camp are with the players, not the manager.

I would be very surprised if Capello would be up for a job in England if he quits the national team.

But stranger things have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

capello, on england showing, is nothing more than an italian martin o'neill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Hmmm, not sure about Capello. There would be an awful lot of baggage and we have our own to deal with at the moment. He's a good manager but I dont know if, right now, he'd be a good appointment.

stories like what? delayin his team until a couple of hours before kick? being a disciplinarian? the problems in Englands camp are with the players, not the manager.

In a nutshell, that he treats them like kids, which isn't a million miles away from some of the complaints about Rafa that were "leaked" to the media. I can't remember whose autobiography it was, it may have been Bellamy's, but he said that Rafa treated Carra like a member of the youth squad. We don't need more of that ****.

Helix wrote: »
    capello, on england showing, is nothing more than an italian martin o'neill
    Club and International management are entirely different. Capellos record at club level is just without question outstanding.

Club and International management are entirely different. Capellos record at club level is just without question outstanding.

he insists on playing an outdated and non working 4-4-2 - mon check
    he brings on emile heskey when goals are needed - mon check
    woefully inept at changing things around when necessary - mon check
    plays his favourites regardless of whether theyre in form o rnot - mon check
    has an air of superiority about him and is always right, even when hes wrong - mon check
    likes to play hoof ball - mon check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I don't see Gerrard leaving now anyway. Not on that performance!

In a nutshell, that he treats them like kids, which isn't a million miles away from some of the complaints about Rafa that were "leaked" to the media. I can't remember whose autobiography it was, it may have been Bellamy's, but he said that Rafa treated Carra like a member of the youth squad. We don't need more of that ****.

For some reason I thought that was said by Carra in his book or in the updated edition of his book. I was under the impression that Carra, along with Gerrard, had his nose put out of joint when he was treated the same as all the other players when Rafa first came in.

Would have to read a pretty poor book again to be sure though.:) I have said it before, but footballer should not write, or rather get someone to do the writing for them , a book until they have retired.

What the **** are people on about?

Milan
    Serie A (4): 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96
    Supercoppa Italiana (3): 1992, 1993, 1994
    UEFA Champions League (1): 1993–94
    European Super Cup (1): 1994

Roma
    Serie A (1): 2000–01
    Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2001

Juventus
    Serie A (1): 2005–06 (revoked)

Real Madrid
    La Liga (2): 1996–97, 2006–07

Liverpool would be ****ing lucky, unbelievably lucky, if they could get him. Have people got such a focus on English football that they can't see past what just happened with an average English squad in an international tournament.

I just can't believe, honestly, why any fan wouldn't want him to take over the reigns. There is nobody out there who has any chance in hell of joining Liverpool better, and frankly, the fact that people can't see that is pretty hilarious.

I don't see Gerrard leaving now anyway. Not on that performance!

More's the pity. Maybe he will just be happy to pick up his massive wages and sulk his way through another season.

I can only hope that Jose can get silly money from the Real board for him and make a bid.

A manager is responsible for tactics and selection but he must rely on his senior players to lead the team for him on the pitch. I guess if you treat senior players the same as everyone else you remove some of the confidence they have to go lead. Just a theory.

• Advertisement

the bulk of his success came when 4-4-2 worked tho

he's shown with england that he's not really been able to play any other way, even when the players on offer suggest he should

PHB wrote: »

Milan

Roma

Juventus

Real Madrid

Liverpool would be ****ing lucky, unbelievably lucky, if they could get him. Have people got such a focus on English football that they can't see past what just happened with an average English squad in an international tournament.

I just can't believe, honestly, why any fan wouldn't want him to take over the reigns. There is nobody out there who has any chance in hell of joining Liverpool better, and frankly, the fact that people can't see that is pretty hilarious.

In all fairness, I don't think anybody sane can argue against Capello's track record at club level, but if he does leave the national team, I could not see him wanting to manage in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Milan

Roma

Juventus

Real Madrid

I dont think anyone here is doubting his past achievements more so the inevitable press circus that would follow him due to what happened with England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Milan

Roma

Juventus

Real Madrid

Barring the AC team, which was exceptional, it isn't that impressive for the size of the clubs, especially after his performance in the WC.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

the bulk of his success came when 4-4-2 worked tho

Same is true of Ferguson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Kess73 wrote: »
    For some reason I thought that was said by Carra in his book or in the updated edition of his book. I was under the impression that Carra, along with Gerrard, had his nose put out of joint when he was treated the same as all the other players when Rafa first came in.

Would have to read a pretty poor book again to be sure though.:) I have said it before, but footballer should not write, or rather get someone to do the writing for them , a book until they have retired.

I dont remember Carragher saying anything negative about Rafa in his book, as far as I remember the only issue Gerrard had with him was that he asked his Ma 'Does Steven like money?' before meeting Gerrard

• Advertisement

Capello is a class manager.

Not his fault he is working with a team of duds.

Same is true of Ferguson.

he's actually made the effort to change his system though, capello hasnt. even when hes had a limited squad of players, most of whom play in 4-5-1 systems he still stuck to an inneffective 4-4-2

It was a move that gave Gerrard more freedom to go forward, so it wasn't nutty. I don't even know why I am engaging you in this. :confused:

You know what I mean, decisions like drawing with Hull at home and bringing on Lucas in the last few mins instead of Keane, that is what I'm talking about.

How about taking Gerrard off against Everton and bringing on Lucas?

Kess73 wrote: »
    More's the pity. Maybe he will just be happy to pick up his massive wages and sulk his way through another season.

I can only hope that Jose can get silly money from the Real board for him and make a bid.

The right manager might revitalise Gerrard. Lets not forget, he's done more for Liverpool in the last 10 years than any other player. Without him no Champions League or FA cup under Benitez.

he's actually made the effort to change his system though, capello hasnt.

Fergie played a 4-4-2 for an awful lot of last season, I'd say at least 70% of the games.

• Advertisement

sure all the tactical geniuses in here have been calling for 4-4-2 for the last couple of years anyway, so that'd suit :p

A manager is responsible for tactics and selection but he must rely on his senior players to lead the team for him on the pitch. I guess if you treat senior players the same as everyone else you remove some of the confidence they have to go lead. Just a theory.

The other side of that coin is if you start treating some players differently than others off of the pitch, that divides could be created and resentment formed.

I guess what it would boil down to is whether the senior players had the strength of character and self pride to want to do their best so they could be regarded as the best, or whether they were the types who needed their ego to be stroked by a manager.

How about taking Gerrard off against Everton and bringing on Lucas?

And Lucas set the winner up didn't he?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't know if I could cope with another Liverpool manager the press dislike, as Capello will surely be if (when) he steps down. I don't think he would be too keen to stay in England either.

so do we need a good manager or someone to come in and tickle Carra and Gerrards bollixs to make em feel better?

You are missing the point Mr Alan, forget the fact that in qualification, players like Gerrard, Lampard and Terry were all talking of Capello in absolutely glowing terms, and focus in on the fact that these overpaid prima donnas now would have you believe they are being treated harshly because Mr Capello won't tell the world famous superstars if they are in the team or not, WHEN THEY WANT!!!!

:D

sure all the tactical geniuses in here have been calling for 4-4-2 for the last couple of years anyway, so that'd suit :p

do yis even have the necessary 2 forwards for that formation?:p

honestly, i think capello would be an unmitigated disaster at liverpool. woy will do a far better job given the restritctions thatll be on him than any "big name" manager imo

so do we need a good manager or someone to come in and tickle Carra and Gerrards bollixs to make em feel better?

If thats what it takes to get the best from them.

Ferguson was tea bagging Ronaldo for 5 seasons. He repayed him in goals.

The right manager might revitalise Gerrard. Lets not forget, he's done more for Liverpool in the last 10 years than any other player. Without him no Champions League or FA cup under Benitez.

How good a player was in the past does not matter if the player is not at that level anymore.

Gerrard has lost a lot of pace over the last 18 months, and he is not the sort of player who could reinvent himself as a sitting midfielder who could pick pinpoint passes, he has never had the discipline or game intelligence to do that the way players like Alonso can.

So no doubts about some of his big moments in the past and what they were worth to the club, but time catches up with all players and when it does, then need to be moved on or retired.

If a club was mad enough to offer big money for him, £25 million upwards, at this stage in his career I would take the money, but I doubt if any club would want to spend big money on a player who has been nothing other than awful since the season before last season ended.

Maybe he can indeed pick up his game under a new manager, but I think it will be more of the same sulking if things are not going his way next season.

If he does stay at Liverpool, I hope your version is how it turns out and not mine.

i'd prefer to sell the pair than have any manager come in have to answer to them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement