Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i ain't rubbing peoples nose in it, simply asking are their opinions the same now when it looks more than likely we'll not be attracting the world class manager people were expecting. that for some reason resulted in you calling me a broken record which irked me, lets just move on now. Pm me if you wanna discuss it more, clogging up the thread with our personal argument could be seen as egotistical attention seeking, and we don't want that (although i am kinda a big deal around here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »
    the people who wanted Rafa gone were convinced we'd get a class replacement cause we're Liverpool-i'd like to hear from those people now to be honest. now we're being told we can't and we'll have to accept some slightly above average journey man manager cause no one wants to manage us, but it'll only be short term(i don't believe this, whoever comes in will be here for at least 2/3 years)-the decision just get worse and worse the more ya think about it.

The time to make this post is if we get a sub standard replacement. If that happens then you might have a point.

Right now we are in limbo, with a lot of frustration in some quarters.

I am one of those who wanted Rafa out. I thought he had taken the club as far as he was going to be able to, based, imho, upon his tactics and decisions during his tenure coupled with his relationship with the owners.

But I know that I have posted a few times that in my opinion there were three elements at the club that were not meshing. The owners, Rafa, and Gerrard. In my earlier posts I said that I would prefer all three gone, and starting again with a clean slate, but if I had to place them in order of importance in terms of needing them out of the club, then my choice was owners out first, Gerrard second, and Rafa last.

As it turned out, Rafa went first. How I actually feel about him leaving will be decided in full when the new manager is appointed. If we get a quality replacement or even better, a genuine upgrade, say a van Gaal, then I will be ecstatic. If we get a replacement with a decent track record and who potentially looks like he will bring positive change, say a Rijkard or Pelligrini, then I will be happy enough and see moving Rafa on as the right thing.

But if the club goes out and gets a manager who in my eyes is of a lower standard than Rafa, plus that I think cannot bring much to the squad in terms of ideas or inspiration, then I will probably share your anger at spending money to dismiss one manager and spending even more money on a downgrade.

Time will tell. Let's hope you are wrong in the type of manager that gets brought in.

mike65 wrote: »
    The very fact Hodgson isn't box-office is his ace card, no one expects him to do that much esp at the current Liverpool so the actual pressure as opposed to the perceived pressure is quite low. With Fabio Capello or AN Other famous name it would be a mad house from day one. and more tears before bedtime when miracles are not achieved.

Yep, I think that is the main advantage that Hodgson would have were he to get the role. He is well liked by the British media, and would not carry the same level of expectation as a top tier name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

advantage for Woy, massive disadvantage for us when some of our senior players are looking to see ambition from the club, is the appointment of Roy going to convince the likes of Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres, Johnson that the club is on the up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I think under different owners, and the club more stable it would be very hard for Top class managers to say no to the Liverpool job.

IMO it doesn't matter if we get a World class manager or not. They have to work under emense restrictions. The biggest problem LFC faces is the owners. Any manager that steadys the ship and brings the youth players on while getting the best out of the current squad would be a good thing IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Raymond Domenech is available :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

argosy2006 wrote: »
    Raymond Domenech is available :P

Well....he has had more than his fair share of luck throughout the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep, I think that is the main advantage that Hodgson would have were he to get the role. He is well liked by the British media, and would not carry the same level of expectation as a top tier name.

Any level of expectation that the manager feels he is 'burdened' with is his problem and whoever gets the job should damn well feel the weight of expectation taking the reigns at Liverpool.
    If he doesn't I certainly don't want him there.

On a brighter note, those who want Gerrard to stay have had a good couple of weeks but he hasn't done us any favours over his price tag if he is to leave.
    Torres has done all of us a huge favour,he doesn't look too tasty right now to the circling vultures with his injury problems in SA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LOL, from the BBC gossip page:
    BBC Sport - Football - Monday's gossip column - transfers and rumours

Well Roy wants money and Masch is staying!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

K-9 wrote: »
    LOL, from the BBC gossip page:
    BBC Sport - Football - Monday's gossip column - transfers and rumours

Well Roy wants money and Masch is staying!

Well, this is just more gossip and rumour but it does highlight a few things. It seems to me that the stories about Roy taking the Liverpool job have all been very presumtuous. Most people have said he'd be mad to turn it down, lucky to get the job, he'll only have it for a short while etc..All to the backdrop of him accepting a tiny budget, player sales and in the knowledge that every other top coach in the world has been approached for the job before him. And he's also been slagged left right and centre by large numbers of fans before he even takes the job. Makes me wonder why he would want the job at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

"But if they are, it’s the manager’s job to get the best out of those spoilt brats. That’s what he’s paid £6million a year to do.
    Sir Alex Ferguson does it. Carlo ­Ancelotti does it. Rafael Benitez did it."

Took this quote from a mirror article where the journalist was blaming Capello for failing to get the best out of the players and then compared him to the above managers including BENITEZ?!
    One month they're attacking him for losing the dressing room and the next month they're using him as an example to be followed by the English national manager!

Another bug bear was watching the BBC panel yesterday harping on about Gerrard's best position is just behind the striker and that should be the only position he should be playing for England yet when Benitez had him there we had to listen to them every week banging on about how he's wasting the best CM in the world by playing him out of position! ARRRRGH! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well, this is just more gossip and rumour but it does highlight a few things. It seems to me that the stories about Roy taking the Liverpool job have all been very presumtuous. Most people have said he'd be mad to turn it down, lucky to get the job, he'll only have it for a short while etc..All to the backdrop of him accepting a tiny budget, player sales and in the knowledge that every other top coach in the world has been approached for the job before him. And he's also been slagged left right and centre by large numbers of fans before he even takes the job. Makes me wonder why he would want the job at all!

we also don't even know if he was offered it yet, and it looks like he hasn't considering the Deschamps comments. He's still bound to be a front runner, but I'd say this one has plenty to run yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

dogbert27 wrote: »
    "But if they are, it’s the manager’s job to get the best out of those spoilt brats. That’s what he’s paid £6million a year to do.
    Sir Alex Ferguson does it. Carlo *Ancelotti does it. Rafael Benitez did it."

Took this quote from a mirror article where the journalist was blaming Capello for failing to get the best out of the players and then compared him to the above managers including BENITEZ?!
    One month they're attacking him for losing the dressing room and the next month they're using him as an example to be followed by the English national manager!

Another bug bear was watching the BBC panel yesterday harping on about Gerrard's best position is just behind the striker and that should be the only position he should be playing for England yet when Benitez had him there we had to listen to them every week banging on about how he's wasting the best CM in the world by playing him out of position! ARRRRGH! :mad:

I stopped listening to pundits or putting any credence in newspaper articles a long time ago,well apart from a very select few. Now, I watch a game and believe my own eyes, make my own judgments and don't get too het up about the latest nonsense from the media. Don't forget these people are catering to the masses, its about headlines, selling newspapers or driving TV subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Paul Tomkins has just tweeted:

"Just been told that RAWK has been threatened with legal action over letter-writing campaigns by Purslow's lawyers"

Wonder if this is true..

Benzino wrote: »
    Paul Tomkins has just tweeted:

"Just been told that RAWK has been threatened with legal action over letter-writing campaigns by Purslow's lawyers"

Wonder if this is true..

It is true, Purslow's legal reps got in touch to say that if certain personal information regarding Purslow was not taken down, then legal action would be taken.

It is true, Purslow's legal reps got in touch to say that if certain personal information regarding Purslow was not taken down, then legal action would be taken.

His addess and phone number at a guess? There have been a few warnings floating around about this. There are a lot of very unhappy people in Liverpool and beyond at the minute making all sorts of threats.

His addess and phone number at a guess? There have been a few warnings floating around about this. There are a lot of very unhappy people in Liverpool and beyond at the minute making all sorts of threats.

Yeah his actual home address was one of the things posted in the forum and was also posted on the Rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

hmm, that's understandable tbh.

If the likes of Torres were to be sold, you know people would go to his home and protest.

Benzino wrote: »
    hmm, that's understandable tbh.

If the likes of Torres were to be sold, you know people would go to his home and protest.

His home address was given out as an address to write letters to, and it would seem that letters of the threatening kind were sent as well as loads of non threatening letters.

His home address and family should be left out of it imho, all it would take if for one nutjob to turn up there and things could turn very nasty.

• Advertisement

His home address and family should be left out of it imho,

I'd hope in everyone's opinion tbh.

noodler wrote: »
    I'd hope in everyone's opinion tbh.

Yes, as soon as everyone agrees that his home and family have nothing to do with it, they can get on with lynching Chris.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

His home address and family should be left out of it imho, all it would take if for one nutjob to turn up there and things could turn very nasty.

Doesn't surprise that legal action is being taken against RAWK - the place is full of nutjobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

the more I watch the world cup the more embarrassing it becomes to think rafa wanted Barry instead of Alonso

the more I watch the world cup the more embarrassing it becomes to think rafa wanted Barry instead of Alonso

I don't think he was alone that summer.

I was actually indifferent at the time - the only thing holding me back was paying more for Barry than we would sell Alonso for.

I just wish Rafa had never opened his mouth about trying to get Barry or trying to sell Xabi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Old news.:p I said a week or so ago that the rumour was that the new manager was to be announced within 14 days, and that the world cup plays a big part in it.

Did you by any chance check up further on the two businesses that I replied to your pm about?

No, I got really drunk and watched Meath beat Dublin instead.

I'll find out tonight if possible

• Advertisement

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    No, I got really drunk and watched Meath beat Dublin instead.

I'll find out tonight if possible

You mean Meath is actually a real place and not just something made up to scare children?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

dogbert27 wrote: »
    "But if they are, it’s the manager’s job to get the best out of those spoilt brats. That’s what he’s paid £6million a year to do.:

He gets £6 million a year :eek:

And he can't see that Ozil made (1man) made his 4-4-2 look like mush .
    And what does he do ??.... Brings on Heskey.

I'd just like to point out the obvious flaws in this argument.

• You are watching games of football on the tv.
    • Benitez made a judgement to sign Barry three years ago.
    • Benitez made a judgement to sell Alonso three years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

This is capello's first time in charge of a national team and i always had a gut feeling he was winging it a bit. It didnt get alot of press but he put up a poll on the fa website i believe just before he picked the squad and asked for the publics opinion. The fa hastily took it down. Sections of the english press went to town on errickson, the england job is a poisoned chalice unless you bring a trophy. You start the job a very good manager and when it doesnt work out the character assasination begins.

Personally i dont think 442 is out dated, but you have to have the right personell. When you find gerrard and milner out on the wings you are struggling from the start imo. And when gareth barry is your midfielder supplying ammunition? :) None are masters of those positions. I still cant believe wright-phillips got in the squad over adam johnson personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Alonso's first season was excellent. After that, premier players learned to get close to him and not give him time to look for a pass, and Alonso struggled. This is when Rafa considered letting him go back to Spain. But then Alonso upped his game, learned how to deal with close attention and became a better player because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If alonso was played in a position he's never played in before he'd looked pretty poor as well.

I'd just like to point out the obvious flaws in this argument.

• You are watching games of football on the tv.
    • Benitez made a judgement to sign Barry three years ago.
    • Benitez made a judgement to sell Alonso three years ago.

I'm sorry but I don't agree that they are flaws.

Somebody who can judge a player (and incidentally this is what I said at the time it was about to happen *pats self on back*) could have easily told you that Gareth Barry was a moderately above average Premiership player who was quite clearly playing at his peak and would soon return to being fairly ordinary. (much like Robbie Keane). Alonso on the other hand was younger, imminently more talented and despite one bad season given his profile and career history it was quite easy to predict that he would rebound rather than stay at that level.

I could spot that a mile off, Benitez couldn't.

And he is the footballing genius. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just one quick word on the Barry Alonso thing - at that time, the primary reason for a potential switch was that Alsono could be a 9 or a 5 out of 10, and was having as many bad games as good, while Barry for 2 years had been giving 7 or 8 out of 10 almost every single game. The Barry of today is not the Barry of then, and likewise, the Alonso of today is not the Alonso of then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Somebody who can judge a player (and incidentally this is what I said at the time it was about to happen *pats self on back*) could have easily told you that Gareth Barry was a moderately above average Premiership player who was quite clearly playing at his peak and would soon return to being fairly ordinary. (much like Robbie Keane). Alonso on the other hand was younger, imminently more talented and despite one bad season given his profile and career history it was quite easy to predict that he would rebound rather than stay at that level.

Did you spot Alonso playing in Spain before Benitez did?

Benitez is the pro license holder with the proven track record and trophies to his name. You are an internet persona who appears to be more concerned about patting themselves on the back because you had 'insider' information. Also, Benitez signed Alonso. Did you see that one a mile off?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just one quick word on the Barry Alonso thing - at that time, the primary reason for a potential switch was that Alsono could be a 9 or a 5 out of 10, and was having as many bad games as good, while Barry for 2 years had been giving 7 or 8 out of 10 almost every single game. The Barry of today is not the Barry of then, and likewise, the Alonso of today is not the Alonso of then.

Agreed. As my Aston Villa friend testified to, Barry, as Villa captain, was more than consistent, versatile in that he could play in defence or attack, was an excellent passer of the ball and scored goals. He was coming off the back of his best 2-3 seasons when the bid to buy him came.

Agreed. As my Aston Villa friend testified to, Barry, as Villa captain, was more than consistent, versatile in that he could play in defence or attack, was an excellent passer of the ball and scored goals. He was coming off the back of his best 2-3 seasons when the bid to buy him came.

Gareth barry scored goals?. No offence to your villa friend but i lived in brum for 7 years and saw plenty of barry and villa. Gareth barrys goal scoring record is similar to sami hyypias and hyypia never took penalties like barry did for donkeys years. Its not exactly inspiring is it?.

Barry would have brought nothing to our midfield that lucas hasnt done this season imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I think you'll find you need a UEFA pro licence to make comments like that with any degree of integrity.:rolleyes:

I think you'll find you need a UEFA pro licence to make comments like that with any degree of integrity.:rolleyes:

Epic fail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i fail to see any rhyme or reason as to why you made this post. can you tell me why you posted this? Id love to know.

it was clear how good alonso was since day 1. I have no idea why benitez sought to replace him, maybe there was happenings going on that we didnt know about.
    Stephen Warnock is another I thought that should never have left :s

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    Gareth barry scored goals?. No offence to your villa friend but i lived in brum for 7 years and saw plenty of barry and villa. Gareth barrys goal scoring record is similar to sami hyypias and hyypia never took penalties like barry did for donkeys years. Its not exactly inspiring is it?.

Barry would have brought nothing to our midfield that lucas hasnt done this season imho.

8 or 9 goals a season is decent enough for me considering the role he played at Villa. And he was more of a provider in my opinion, which is exactly the type of role I think Benitez wanted him to play. I agree Hyppia popped up with 3 or 4 a season (from corners), but we aren't talking about Hyppia here.

Epic fail.

You denegrate Rosco for his assessment of Barry by suggesting because Benitez has a pro licence his opinion counts for nothing. Then use an opinion from some random Villa fan to back Benitez with.

You don't see the irony?

Gareth Barry is and always has been, rubbish.

You denegrate Rosco for his assessment of Barry by suggesting because Benitez has a pro licence his opinion counts for nothing. Then use an opinion from some random Villa fan to back Benitez with.

You don't see the irony?

Gareth Barry is and always has been, rubbish.

Your argument is all over the place, including this obviously prejudiced assessment of Barry.

Your argument is all over the place, including this obviously prejudiced assessment of Barry.

Well I don't have a Pro Licence I shouldn't really be commentating on anything anyway. Pathetic.:rolleyes:

8 or 9 goals a season is decent enough for me considering the role he played at Villa. And he was more of a provider in my opinion, which is exactly the type of role I think Benitez wanted him to play. I agree Hyppia popped up with 3 or 4 a season (from corners), but we aren't talking about Hyppia here.

Oh for god sake, I haven't seen such drivel posted in a long time. Where do you pull this diarrhea from?

Gareth Barry a provider. Good grief. Provided the Germans with a goal last night alright.;)

He didnt score 8 or 9 though. He scored a rough average of 4 goals a season including penalties and this is the 18mil inspiration we are getting into the midfield. Yes, he is more of a provider but the hyypia comparison is just to highlight what 'we' were prepared to splash big money on. Not good enough imo. And the suggestions at the time that rafa only wanted keane if barry came?, im sorry but if this is even remotely true it is a ridiculous reason to purchase a player. Im not a huge fan of lucas but im not one who criticise's him either, i dont see a big difference in him and barry. Infact, for a midfielder, barry is incredibly slow, he has good positioning though which hides that a bit but for 18 mil quid?, no thanks. I had the same opinion 3 years ago.

I think aquilani was a big gamble and a big mistake but if there was any chance he could stay fit for even 25 games a season id take him over barry aswel.

Oh for god sake, I haven't seen such drivel posted in a long time. Where do you pull this diarrhea from?

Gareth Barry a provider. Good grief. Provided the Germans with a goal last night alright.;)

Don't proof read then no?

Benitez is the pro license holder with the proven track record and trophies to his name. You are an internet persona who appears to be more concerned about patting themselves on the back because you had 'insider' information. Also, Benitez signed Alonso. Did you see that one a mile off?

And yet I still knew better than he did.

It makes you wonder whether all those badges are worth anything, maybe they don't teach how to judge a player on those courses.

Don't proof read then no?

If I did I'd hardly be posting all the drivel I post would I?:rolleyes:
    :D

• Advertisement

And yet I still knew better than he did.

It makes you wonder whether all those badges are worth anything, maybe they don't teach how to judge a player on those courses.

They obviously don't considering when we tried to sell Alonso the only team remotely interested were Juventus, and they wouldn't even stump the money for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement