Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Well I don't have a Pro Licence I shouldn't really be commentating on anything anyway. Pathetic.:rolleyes:
    daithijjj wrote: »
    He didnt score 8 or 9 though. He scored a rough average of 4 goals a season including penalties and this is the 18mil inspiration we are getting into the midfield. Yes, he is more of a provider but the hyypia comparison is just to highlight what 'we' were prepared to splash big money on. Not good enough imo. And the suggestions at the time that rafa only wanted keane if barry came?, im sorry but if this is even remotely true it is a ridiculous reason to purchase a player. Im not a huge fan of lucas but im not one who criticise's him either, i dont see a big difference in him and barry. Infact, for a midfielder, barry is incredibly slow, he has good positioning though which hides that a bit but for 18 mil quid?, no thanks. I had the same opinion 3 years ago.

I think aquilani was a big gamble and a big mistake but if there was any chance he could stay fit for even 25 games a season id take him over barry aswel.

In the years leading up to the bid he scored 8 or 9 a season. Earlier in his career he was played as a defender so I'm guessing was limited to the number of chances he would have had. Listen, I'm not suggesting he would have been an absolute success, I'm just saying that I firmly believe someone like Benitez had perfectly valid reasons for signing him at the time, and if he did, I agree with those reasons. Nothing more nothing less. nice to get a bit of a balanced opinion though, other than another 'Barry was ****, and will always be ****' or 'I can see **** from a million miles away' comments. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

If I did I'd hardly be posting all the drivel I post would I?:rolleyes:
    :D

the amount of dribble you post depends how how much you hit the 'submit reply' button each day.

case in point:
    "Gareth Barry is and always has been, rubbish."

want one of those smug smilies to go with it? you seem to like this one :rolleyes: the most. really shows just how smart you are.. when you roll the eyes though do you also raise your brow? a high brow getting even higher.. bloody hell, you must look like the rock on (even more) steroids or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I think its time to consign Benitez to the past. He made some great decisions, he made some poor decisions. After prostituting himself all over Italy and losing the backing of senior players Purslow had no choice but to sack him.

End of story, lets move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think its time to consign Benitez to the past. He made some great decisions, he made some poor decisions. After prostituting himself all over Italy and losing the backing of senior players Purslow had no choice but to sack him.

Thats some nice moving on there stumpy.

Jazzy wrote: »
    the amount of dribble you post depends how how much you hit the 'submit reply' button each day.

case in point:
    "Gareth Barry is and always has been, rubbish."

want one of those smug smilies to go with it? you seem to like this one :rolleyes: the most. really shows just how smart you are.. when you roll the eyes though do you also raise your brow? a high brow getting even higher.. bloody hell, you must look like the rock on (even more) steroids or something

Are you going to challenge me to some sort of movie buff off again. I haven't laughed that hard since, well since Gareth Barry got outpaced by Ouzil last night.

Your a little diamond.;)

• Advertisement

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    And yet I still knew better than he did.

It makes you wonder whether all those badges are worth anything, maybe they don't teach how to judge a player on those courses.

Put the rod down and back away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ha criticising Rafa for signings he didn't even make, love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

If you wanted to move on you shouldn't have made a statement like that!! Let's not forget if it was money he was after he could have gone to madrid at almost any time over the past 5 years (before mourinho wanted it).

people will move on when there is a new appointment and begin talking about that, but until then many people like to talk about what went wrong and give their opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thats some nice moving on there stumpy.

Post of the day. No point addressing the stupidity of the actual post, better point out the stupidity of the mindset.

Well played sir, well played. Sometimes less (one post) is better than more (3 pages of drivel).

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'm sorry but I don't agree that they are flaws.

Somebody who can judge a player (and incidentally this is what I said at the time it was about to happen *pats self on back*) could have easily told you that Gareth Barry was a moderately above average Premiership player who was quite clearly playing at his peak and would soon return to being fairly ordinary. (much like Robbie Keane). Alonso on the other hand was younger, imminently more talented and despite one bad season given his profile and career history it was quite easy to predict that he would rebound rather than stay at that level.

I could spot that a mile off, Benitez couldn't.

And he is the footballing genius. :rolleyes:
    And yet I still knew better than he did.

It makes you wonder whether all those badges are worth anything, maybe they don't teach how to judge a player on those courses.

Just for the record Rosco, are you saying you are a better judge of footballers than Rafa Benitez and his coaching badges are worthless?

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    No point addressing the stupidity of the actual post, better point out the stupidity of the mindset.

That makes no sense. I decree this undecipherable post of the day. Well played old chum etc...cliche, boring, rubbish.:P

Are you going to challenge me to some sort of movie buff off again. I haven't laughed that hard since, well since Gareth Barry got outpaced by Ouzil last night.

Your a little diamond.;)

you going to tell us how 'high brow' you are again? how many feet is it up there btw ?

you going to tell us how 'high brow' you are again? how many feet is it up there btw ?

Sorry Jazzy, I went metric a while back now.

oh right, so using the metric system can you tell me how far your head is up your ass ? it would explain your extremely narrow view of footballing talent and how the game works, or heck, how logic works if we look at your brilliance of "After prostituting himself all over Italy and losing the backing of senior players Purslow had no choice but to sack him." and then going "End of story, lets move on."
    do you understand why that is retarded? do you understand how stupid and hypocritical that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That makes no sense. I decree this undecipherable post of the day. Well played old chum etc...cliche, boring, rubbish.:P

Itsindecipherable. I normally wouldn't point that out but you were using big words in a vain attmpts to exhibit a cleverness that the quality of your posts shows you clearly don't possess. Which is a big bag of fail tbh.

I bet Jazzy knows a film that sums this up well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63107428&postcount=51

flahavaj wrote: »
    Itsindecipherable. I normally wouldn't point that out but you were using big words in a vain attmpts to exhibit a cleverness that the quality of your posts shows you clearly don't possess. Which is a big bag of fail tbh.

Its Attempts.

Its Attempts.

NOT THE SAME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Its Attempts.

Pretty sure it doesn't get a capital letter.

you know me too well

40841-large.jpg

• Advertisement

you know me too well

40841-large.jpg

That's a bit harsh now........on the film.

Ha ha. What age are all of you, 12?

Honestly, you lads give me such a great laugh. Honestly.:D

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Liverpool-confident-Fulham-boss-Roy-Hodgson-will-snub-England-to-become-their-new-manager-article501065.html

Liverpool are confident Fabio Capello's uncertain England future will not affect their deal to bring Roy Hodgson to Anfield.

The Fulham manager was immediately installed as the strong favourite to be the next boss of the national team, following the dismal World Cup exit at the hands of Germany.

There is growing pressure for Capello to quit his role after a disastrous campaign in South Africa, with many fans desperate to see an Englishman installed to lead the country.

But the Anfield board are confident that Hodgson will complete his move to Merseyside despite late interest from the FA, to the extent that they could even unveil him at a ceremony at the end of this week.

After an exhaustive search, which saw them interview Didier Deschamps, Frank Rijkaard and Mauricio Pellegrini, the Reds chiefs have settled on Hodgson as the leading candidate, because of his tactical knowledge and experience of the Premier League.

Ironically, those are qualities that many people want to see the next England manager have, but Liverpool remain on course to announce the veteran boss as the man to succeed Rafa Benitez within the next few days.

Capello remained adamant yesterday he will not quit in the wake of the South African debacle, but will meet Sir Dave Richards in a fortnight to finalise whether he is staying on.

But the feeling at Anfield is that Hodgson is committed to becoming their next manager, even with the temptation of an England role being dangled in front of him.

The former Inter Milan boss has been the top target since Benitez left a month ago, despite the rival claims of an impressive short-list of candidates.

Crucially, his impending appointment has already got the thumbs-up from the club's senior stars, with the Reds board confident Hodgson can keep influential players like Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Jamie Carragher.

Benitez, meanwhile, is ready to offer Argie international Esteban Cambiasso as a makeweight in his bid to raid Anfield and take Javier Mascherano with him to Inter Milan.

Ha ha. What age are all of you, 12?

Honestly, you lads give me such a great laugh. Honestly.:D

HONESTLY?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Liverpool-confident-Fulham-boss-Roy-Hodgson-will-snub-England-to-become-their-new-manager-article501065.html

Liverpool are confident Fabio Capello's uncertain England future will not affect their deal to bring Roy Hodgson to Anfield.

The Fulham manager was immediately installed as the strong favourite to be the next boss of the national team, following the dismal World Cup exit at the hands of Germany.

There is growing pressure for Capello to quit his role after a disastrous campaign in South Africa, with many fans desperate to see an Englishman installed to lead the country.

But the Anfield board are confident that Hodgson will complete his move to Merseyside despite late interest from the FA, to the extent that they could even unveil him at a ceremony at the end of this week.

After an exhaustive search, which saw them interview Didier Deschamps, Frank Rijkaard and Mauricio Pellegrini, the Reds chiefs have settled on Hodgson as the leading candidate, because of his tactical knowledge and experience of the Premier League.

Ironically, those are qualities that many people want to see the next England manager have, but Liverpool remain on course to announce the veteran boss as the man to succeed Rafa Benitez within the next few days.

Capello remained adamant yesterday he will not quit in the wake of the South African debacle, but will meet Sir Dave Richards in a fortnight to finalise whether he is staying on.

But the feeling at Anfield is that Hodgson is committed to becoming their next manager, even with the temptation of an England role being dangled in front of him.

The former Inter Milan boss has been the top target since Benitez left a month ago, despite the rival claims of an impressive short-list of candidates.

Crucially, his impending appointment has already got the thumbs-up from the club's senior stars, with the Reds board confident Hodgson can keep influential players like Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Jamie Carragher.

Benitez, meanwhile, is ready to offer Argie international Esteban Cambiasso as a makeweight in his bid to raid Anfield and take Javier Mascherano with him to Inter Milan.

Either this article is completely made up, or this article is completely made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Maddock hasn't a clue. Any contacts he had within the club during the Houllier era have long since gone and he's just pulling stuff out of his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that Maddock article is an unbelievable amount of fabricated cr*p.

1) if England are stupid enough to sack Capello, why would he come to Anfield for? what will we pay him with? magic beans?

2) Cambiasso as 'makeweight' in Masch deal? i know Liverpool will always be in Rafa's heart, but come on, i don't think he'd be feeling that generous.

not one single quote either by the way.

but someone, somewhere, will believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Either this article is completely made up, or this article is completely made up.

Or it could just be made up.:D

Laughed at the bit about how Deschamps was interviewed, despite the man himself, plus his agent and his club all saying he was not interviewed.

Typical Mickey Mouse stuff from Maddock which is sure to be lapped up by the Red top brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

why are pool taking their time over selecting a new manager, surely if Hodgson was as a dead cert as the newspapers and bookies would say how come he hasnt been picked ?

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    why are pool taking their time over selecting a new manager, surely if Hodgson was as a dead cert as the newspapers and bookies would say how come he hasnt been picked ?

Shhhhhh don't start talking sense in here. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kess73 wrote: »
    Shhhhhh don't start talking sense in here. :D

hs talking sense, thats a first :pac:

SlickRic wrote: »
    that Maddock article is an unbelievable amount of fabricated cr*p.

1) if England are stupid enough to sack Capello, why would he come to Anfield for? what will we pay him with? magic beans?

2) Cambiasso as 'makeweight' in Masch deal? i know Liverpool will always be in Rafa's heart, but come on, i don't think he'd be feeling that generous.

not one single quote either by the way.

but someone, somewhere, will believe it.

I might be picking you up wrong but no one said Capello would be a potential Liverpool manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Oliver Kay of The Times (more reputable than any Mirror gutter journalist) just tweeted that Liverpool "firmly expect expected to appoint Hodgson as manager by end of week, despite FA's uncertainty over Capello".

I might be picking you up wrong but no one said Capello would be a potential Liverpool manager?

Maddock, by mentioning Capello's name, and saying his potential sacking won't affect decisions at Anfield, is clearly implying that we actually might have a chance of getting him, or he might be interested.

that is what i am calling bullsh*t on.

hs talking sense, thats a first :pac:

Ever since you embraced the values of the straight edge lifestyle, talking sense has become the norm for you.:D

• Advertisement

Daysha wrote: »
    Oliver Kay of The Times (more reputable than any Mirror gutter journalist) just tweeted that Liverpool "firmly expect expected to appoint Hodgson as manager by end of week, despite FA's uncertainty over Capello".

Obviously The Mirror is a rag but the same gutter journalist has been banging on about Liverpool appointing Hodgson longer than anyone else. He's got his dates wrong, he's got lots wrong but I think he's right in suggesting Hodgson will be appointed.

He was the first to report Rafa getting the sack too. Just a little fairness.

Maddock, by mentioning Capello's name, and saying his potential sacking won't affect decisions at Anfield, is clearly implying that we actually might have a chance of getting him, or he might be interested.

Doesn't he mean more that Woy would be a candidate for the England job if it came up rather than Fabio a candidate for the Liverpool job? At leqast thats how I read it.

Though either way, your overall point about the article being boll*x stands.

I think you should re read it. It really says nothing of the sort.

Exactly.

We are in WC season so not the usual summer silly season.

I suspect the the rumour mill over Englands next manager will now be the back page news.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

daithijjj wrote: »
    He didnt score 8 or 9 though. He scored a rough average of 4 goals a season

lets not just make stuff up here. In the 2 seasons before we tried to buy him (and obviously it was this form we were interested in, not that of 3 years prior), he scored 9 goals each season for Villa in all comps, including 9 in the league one year, and 8 in the league the preceding year.

Even if you include his previous years (which i'm not sure why anyone would), the lowest he ever scored for Villa when he played the season was 4, so how you get an average of 4 I have absolutely no idea.
    he has good positioning though which hides that a bit but for 18 mil quid?, no thanks. I had the same opinion 3 years ago.
    Obviously Rafa and the board agreed, hence why they didn't pay the 18 million Villa wanted and didn't get him...:confused:

• Advertisement

Doesn't he mean more that Woy would be a candidate for the England job if it came up rather than Fabio a candidate for the Liverpool job? At leqast thats how I read it.

Though either way, your overall pint about the article being boll*x stands.

ah i might have picked that up wrong so.

cheers.

once it gets to this stage of the evening, for some reason my logic sensors deteriorate grossly.

but yes, the article is still bollocks :D

Who here doesn't think Hodgson will be appointed? I think its a dead cert. So many Journo's are saying its just a matter of time.

Where's Tony Barret gone?

id imagine because they arent sure on hodgson, which means if he is hired he wont have the full backing of the club as they werent sure in the first place :/

Daysha wrote: »

Old news, he was appointed last week.

Don't you read this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Who here doesn't think Hodgson will be appointed? I think its a dead cert. So many Journo's are saying its just a matter of time.

Where's Tony Barret gone?

I do wonder how many of them just jumped on board Oldham's "Exclusive" for fear of getting left behind though. It's not like they have to assume any responsibility for their stories, they can just lash out whatever they hear, wherever they hear it. They can even contradict themselves days later, and whichever one turns out to be the truth they will claim it as being their exclusive and that they knew all along.

The general media, when it comes to football (aside from a very few informed individuals) know fuck all more then the rest of us. I think most of sports journalism for the papers these days is scanning the internet and picking whichever bits you fancy.

id imagine because they arent sure on hodgson, which means if he is hired he wont have the full backing of the club as they werent sure in the first place :/

I'd imagine given Purslow's business background, he may have always had Hodgson in mind but to give the selection process some merit he carried out interviews with a range of candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    lets not just make stuff up here. In the 2 seasons before we tried to buy him (and obviously it was this form we were interested in, not that of 3 years prior), he scored 9 goals each season for Villa in all comps, including 9 in the league one year, and 8 in the league the preceding year.

Even if you include his previous years (which i'm not sure why anyone would), the lowest he ever scored for Villa when he played the season was 4, so how you get an average of 4 I have absolutely no idea.

Obviously Rafa and the board agreed, hence why they didn't pay the 18 million Villa wanted and didn't get him...:confused:

According to the figures i read he has scored 41 goals in his entire career. He has played for villa since 1998 so i believe the math is close enough.

The point i was making is that it was claimed gareth barry 'scored goals', he has scored roughly the same amount as sami hyypia over both their careers but sami didnt take penos. How many of barrys goals were penos?, i remember 2 in one game. He is/was a solid player but for 18mil, i personally think we were about to be robbed at that price.

On your last point, you are saying rafa and the board agreed, how is this so?. I fully believe rafa was happy to pay the 18mil with parry the major stumbling block. Negotiations clearly went on as then finnan came into the deal in part exchange but he didnt want to leave the club. Rafa then went on to want full control etc. Barry then went to city 12 months later for 66% of what we were going to outlay. And i still think city paid over the top to be honest. But it is 'moneybags' city now. Wouldnt surprise me if city spent a plenty in the next 10 weeks and barry found himself shining a seat with his backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I really don't want Capello.

Over cautious approach - check
    Playing players out of position - check
    Playing out of form players - check
    Using tactics that don't suit the squad - check
    Strange team line ups - check
    Ridiculous substitutions - check
    Poor relationship with players - check

We need a change from the Benitez era, not more of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Just wading in on the Gareth Barry debate:

Comparing their stats for the same time frame that Alonso was in the premiership (including cup competitions (European ones for Alonso)):

Barry: Goals / Assists
    08/09 - 7 / 7
    07/08 - 9 / 10
    06/07 - 9 / 4
    05/06 - 6 / 3
    04/05 - 8 / 1

Total - 39 / 25

Alonso: Goals / Assists
    08/09 - 4 / 5
    07/08 - 2 / 2
    06/07 - 4 / 1
    05/06 - 5 / 7
    04/05 - 3 / 6

Total - 18 / 21

Now we know there was more to Alonso's game than just goals and assists. He has game intelligence and keeps moves ticking over. But looking at these stats alone for the 2 seasons previous to the bid for Barry the return from Alonso was 6 goals and 3 assists compared to Barry with 18 goals and 14 assists.

Add to this that Barry would also help the English quota. He can play centre mid, left mid or left back. Barry is a good friend of Gerrard who wanted him join.

Benitez made an initial offer of 12 million for a player with 2 years left on his contract and looked to sell Alonso for 16 million.
    Not an exact like for like replacement but based on the 2 seasons it looked at good deal and Barry would have added something extra to the team plus a 4 million profit on the transactions. We have to wheel and deal in the market unlike United, Chelsea and now City.

It was O'Neill who made the whole thing public and turned it into a farce and dragged it out for the summer. Barry did himself no favours either by refusing to hand in a transfer request as he'd lose out on a few million of a loyalty payment from Villa.
    In the end nothing happened but we probably got the best season we could have gotten out of Alonso in 08/09.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

The whole Barry saga was indeed a big mistake by Benitez.

It's strange looking back at it now tbh. I always felt Alonso was one of, if not the best player of his type in the world and had endless debates with my mates over this who thought he was worthless

The problem was I thought Alonso was very inconsistent back then. Some games he could run the show, and the next you wouldn't notice he was on the pitch.

Maybe he hadn't fully settled into the english lifestyle, or maybe the thought of been replaced by somebody as average as Barry was enough for him to sort his consistency out and have the best season!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement