Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Not sure if this has been posted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8721942.stm
    Roy Hodgson is set to be appointed Liverpool's new manager by Thursday, BBC Sport understands.

The Reds were granted permission to speak to the 62-year-old two weeks ago by his current club Fulham.

Hodgson has also been linked with the England manager's job following the team's humiliating exit from the World Cup but Liverpool have acted quickly.

The Englishman will replace Rafael Benitez in the Anfield hot seat after the Spaniard left at the start of June.

"Hodgson has always been the number one target of the board at Anfield to replace Benitez," said Ian Dennis, Radio 5 live's senior football reporter.

"After Fulham granted Liverpool permission to speak to Hodgson, it was just a matter of the clubs agreeing a compensation deal for him."

Hodgson has been in charge of Fulham since December 2007 and signed a new 12-month rolling contract in December 2009.

Although he suffered a difficult start to his tenure, winning only nine points from his first 13 league matches, he saved the club from relegation in 2007/8, securing survival on the final day of the campaign.

The following season he steered the club to seventh place in the Premier League - their highest ever finish - and a place in the Europa League.

His achievement in guiding Fulham to the final of that competition, when they beat Juventus and Wolfsburg en route, saw him named last season's manager of the year by the League Manager's Association.

Hodgson has also managed Italian giants Inter Milan, Blackburn and Switzerland, who he guided to the last 16 of the 1994 World Cup.

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill, former Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini, ex-Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink, Croatia coach Slaven Bilic and former Manchester City manager Mark Hughes have all been linked with the Liverpool post.

Looks like it's happening. Good luck to him, even if he isn't my first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Benzino wrote: »

He is now 1/10 to become the new manager on betfair.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I can't believe we're still talking about Alonso/Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Right who'd like to see this fella at LB next season?? He'd been outstanding for Portugal imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neither can I, fully retarded discussion in 2010. Anyway If the BBC "understands" thats as good as sealed it I think. They don't go to print unless they are about 99.9% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/06/29/2000641/spain-star-fernando-torres-the-departure-of-rafael-benitez

“At this point I think it was best for everyone,” Torres told Spanish newspaper AS.

“He won everything, and last year they demanded too much from him.”

If these are in fact direct quotes than it sounds like Torres is sympathising with Benitez and doesn't sound too happy with the board.

“They will tell us the situation after the World Cup. At the moment we don't have a coach.

“What Torres wants is to beat Portugal. The rest, we'll see.”

dogbert27 wrote: »
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/06/29/2000641/spain-star-fernando-torres-the-departure-of-rafael-benitez

“At this point I think it was best for everyone,” Torres told Spanish newspaper AS.

If these are in fact direct quotes than it sounds like Torres is sympathising with Benitez and doesn't sound too happy with the board.

“They will tell us the situation after the World Cup. At the moment we don't have a coach.

Why is he speaking about himself in the third person?

Torres is in fact from the Spain branch of the Flynn tribe of Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Speaking about himself in the third person? Oh. Dear. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

spockety wrote: »

Maybe its the strong pain killers he's on. Making him go a little crazy.
    Making him play a fair bit crap too.

I hope he doesn't start for Spain tonight, he's not fit at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Noodler dislikes Fernando's new persona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Nothing wrong with referring to yourself in the third person. :pac:

“They will tell us the situation after the World Cup,” Torres added. “At the moment we don’t have a coach. All I am focused on is beating Portugal. The rest, we’ll see."

The echo don't have him referring to himself in the third person so whichever quote gives you more entertainment go with that one! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Benzino wrote: »

Didn't the BBC website run a story last week saying he was going to be appointed by last Thursday as well?

Maybe if he does not get appointed this Thursday they will do the same next week.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Didn't the BBC website run a story last week saying he was going to be appointed by last Thursday as well?

Maybe if he does not get appointed this Thursday they will do the same next week.

The board can now finally check with Gerrard and Carragher to make sure they're happy with the appointment so it could very well be this Thursday! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yay we've appointed a man with 7 away wins in the last 2 1/2 seasons, lets hope he can make anfield a fortress then :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

The board can now finally check with Gerrard and Carragher to make sure they're happy with the appointment so it could very well be this Thursday! :pac:

yea they told purslow ''woy or GTFO' :p

yay we've appointed a man with 7 away wins in the last 2 1/2 seasons, lets hope he can make anfield a fortress then :(

It’s not as bad a record as it seems. It’s not good, obviously, but:

Over the last 2 seasons, discarding the top 6, no team has won more than 5 away games, and the average number of away wins per season has been 3

Fulham were an average side, with average players. They were a very good side at Craven Cottage, of that there’s no doubt. Away from home, they were below average, but only slightly

It’s not as bad a record as it seems. It’s not good, obviously, but:

Over the last 2 seasons, discarding the top 6, no team has won more than 5 away games, and the average number of away wins per season has been 3

Fulham were an average side, with average players. They were a very good side at Craven Cottage, of that there’s no doubt. Away from home, they were below average, but only slightly

they won one away game last year, that is definitely below average - only hull won less.

he is a poorer version of rafa in terms of how he sets up a team, and i dont think he'll do what Rafa did to ensure the best for the club.

is he gonna be a yes man for the owners?

he has my support but i find it very difficult to not great the decision with utter disappointment. obviously i'm praying he proves me wrong....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The bit about him "winning everything" gave me the biggest chuckle. Its fair to say if that were true we wouldn't be having a conversation about a new manager or even thinking about it.

is he gonna be a yes man for the owners?

what does this even mean?

He's a well respected coach and comes across as a likeable man who carries himself with great dignity. Has he agreed never to question the owners in his interview? Or are we going to work off the assumption that he has little integrity?

With regards to how he sets his team up: yes, he likes his teams to be organised and hard to break down, but i was impressed by their passing and movement many times over the last couple of years. Particularly against big sides. If he gets some of our talented players retaining possession again that will be one positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with referring to yourself in the third person. :pac:

TheTosh agrees:D

what does this even mean?

He's a well respected coach and comes across as a likeable man who carries himself with great dignity. Has he agreed never to question the owners in his interview? Or are we going to work off the assumption that he has little integrity?

i'm just wondering if the owners tell him they are selling torres or any other player for that matter that we cant afford to lose, will he kick up stink or go "well this is my last shot at the big time so just get on with it and be happy i am here" - thats what i am worried about....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,129 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i'm just wondering if the owners tell him they are selling torres or any other player for that matter that we cant afford to lose, will he kick up stink or go "well this is my last shot at the big time so just get on with it and be happy i am here" - thats what i am worried about....

I would hope one of the first things he will have asked in his interview is "are my players going to be sold out from under me?"

The owners know they will not be able to sell the club nearly as easily or for half as much if they sell Torres and Gerrard.

But, honestly, if we get a stupid offer for Torres (like a world record amount) then what board could turn it down, especially if the player wants to leave.
    United couldn't with Ronaldo, Milan with Kaka . . .

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I would hope one of the first things he will have asked in his interview is "are my players going to be sold out from under me?"

What he should be asking is "do my players want to leave?"

Because there is NOTHING the owners can do if Torres digs in his heels and says he doesn't want to leave. The ball is in his court, NOT the boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nando can do whatever the f*ck he likes as long as he stays where he belongs.

:)

What he should be asking is "do my players want to leave?"

Because there is NOTHING the owners can do if Torres digs in his heels and says he doesn't want to leave. The ball is in his court, NOT the boards.
    you know what I mean though, as you said the situation of Torres or someone else wanting to leave is just like at any club, you either try to convince him otherwise or let him.

What I'm saying is I would hope that he would have sought assurances from the board that all things being equal, and players being happy to stay, that they will not be transfer listed anyway just to bring in cash.

The owners know they will not be able to sell the club nearly as easily or for half as much if they sell Torres and Gerrard.

But, honestly, if we get a stupid offer for Torres (like a world record amount) then what board could turn it down, especially if the player wants to leave.
    United couldn't with Ronaldo, Milan with Kaka . . .

thats just not true, if we sell all our good players for 200m we'll say, the owners can take that 200m out of the club, then wipe 200m off their asking price and it will be slightly easier to find buyers at a lower asking price.

the attraction of liverpool to an owner is not its assets imo, especially if it is a very very wealthy owner

/looks lovingly to the middle east :D

• Advertisement

thats just not true, if we sell all our good players for 200m we'll say, the owners can take that 200m out of the club, then wipe 200m off their asking price and it will be slightly easier to find buyers at a lower asking price.

the attraction of liverpool to an owner is not its assets imo...

Of course it is. It's marquee players like Gerrard and Torres greatly increase it's appeal, marketing potential, potential earnings from football success.

If the owners use that 200m for example to pay off the debts, then any potential buyer is going to have to factor in money and time to replace those players, both in football and merchandising terms. It would be hugely damaging to the club's appeal to buyers.

I know these owners are tyrants, but i'd be absolutely amazed if Torres/Gerrard/Mascherano are sold and most/all of the money is not used to replace them.

I know these owners are tyrants, but i'd be absolutely amazed if Torres/Gerrard/Mascherano are sold and most/all of the money is not used to replace them.

Hicks did it to Corinthians and still managed to sell the club.

tbh I would also be surprised, as even though they're awful awful people, I couldn't see them ****ing over a new manager quite so quickly. As I said, this is surely the one area he will have demanded assurances on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

your big players wont be going anywhere, the americans are looking to sell pool and without these players it will be even harder to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Headshot wrote: »
    your big players wont be going anywhere, the americans are looking to sell pool and without these players it will be even harder to do so

I'm not so sure the Americans are really looking to sell. Indeed, the sacking of Rafa and appointment of Hodgson would suggest they're trying to cling to power.

Their asking price has been set so high that they've scared away numerous buyers, by all accounts. Hicks is probably hoping to cash in on Torres and Gerrard, pay down some of the debt while reinvesting as little as possible to keep Liverpool in the top half of the table, building the stadium when the credit markets open up, and then selling on for a huge profit.

We'll know one way or the other this summer, anyway. If the yanks are looking to sell in the near future, no offers will be entertained for important first team players.

We'll know one way or the other this summer, anyway. If the yanks are looking to sell in the near future, no offers will be entertained for important first team players.

Silly ones will be.

why is this silly logic accepted? it just isnt true...

why is this silly logic accepted? it just isnt true...

i dont really have the energy to debate but why?

i dont really have the energy to debate but why?

the attraction of liverpool to an owner is not its assets imo, especially if it is a very very wealthy owner

Hicks did it to Corinthians and still managed to sell the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That makes perfect sense to me. No one at the club is irreplaceable, Torres is the only doubt but if consider the number of games he tends to miss each season they would be mad to turn down a big money offer for him if they recieved one.

Anyone see the Sid Lowe article about how Torres is Spains Heskey?

tbf there's a big difference between pool and Corinthians (btw i didnt even know he owned Corinthians, you learn something new everyday) i see where your coming from but if you look at it from a buyers perspective its easier to build a team with the likes of torres, gerrard and masch still there

those players are vital to pool and world class players which are very very hard to find these days

how much did hicks want for Corinthians and how did he get in the end

tbf there's a big difference between pool and Corinthians (btw i didnt even know he owned Corinthians, you learn something new everyday) i see where your coming from but if you look at it from a buyers perspective its easier to build a team with the likes of torres, gerrard and masch still there

those players are vital to pool and world class players which are very very hard to find these days

how much did hicks want for Corinthians and how did he get in the end

yes but if that is the players true worth, then you should be able to replace those players with similar quality for that money. if an owner has to stump up 200m less than the asking price now he can use that money to replace them.

its simple business, which i realise doesnt always apply to football but liverpool will be bought because it is liverpool (we are a very attractive club due to our history and fans all over the world) not just because of the players on the pitch or the manager.

edit: i'm not sure of the figures involved in the corinthians debacle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mike65 wrote: »

No, but do you have the man's address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

LOL

The man's not 100%, and probably hasn't been since the Confederations Cup last Summer. So if he is a "liability" to the Spain national team it's only because the manager is playing an unfit player. That's nothing to do with the quality of Fernando Torres. Sid Lowe can **** right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If I had an affinity to píssing myself off I'd definately take a glance at it, another journalistic gem I'd say :rolleyes:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tom-Hicks-and-Corinthians&id=1151895

Here's a more detailed article on what his intentions were in entering Brazilian football:

http://www.informativesports.com/Other/0210/TomHicks_III.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Have we appointed a manager yet? Bought or sold anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Melion wrote: »
    Have we appointed a manager yet? Bought or sold anyone?

nope.

it seems Spurs are the only ones out of the blocks so far.

they're trying to take Kjaer away from his destiny - a decade with Agger as his partner in Liverpool's central defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

yes but if that is the players true worth, then you should be able to replace those players with similar quality for that money.

In theory yes, but what player of similar quality of Torres or Masch or Gerrard would want to come to us now? We can't offer them champions league football.

To a degree,we got lucky when signing Masch and Torres.

Masch was in a unique situation at WH, something that doesn't happen often to a player of his quality, we basically gave him a lifeline. Were any clubs interested in him at that time? I can't remember.

Torres...... err I dunno how we got him tbh! I'm getting old and the memory is fading :( But nice one rafa!

My point been, It's not just about money when signing these players. They want Champions League football, and the chance of winning the league with the club. We can't offer them any of that at the moment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement