Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hodgson is a decent choice to be honest. I wish him well. Rare that I will actually like the Liverpool manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

apparently the daily star is saying the board got the ok from Stevie and Carra before appointing him...

i honesty dont see us getting cl football with his style, lets hope he adapts his system or i am wrong!

what about his style do you think will hold us back?

Fulham were hardly cavalier, but they tried to pass the ball, and at home, even with their average players, they often matched and bettered the big sides.

i'm genuinely curious to see how he uses two players in particular - Babel and Lucas.

Will Babel get a Zamora style makeover?
    Will Lucas get a more advanced role?

8m is a lot of money to replace one manager with another i agree. But Roy may be a downgrade on Rafa at his best, but imo there is a good chance he will do better than the Rafa of last year, who i believe (understandably) crumbled under the pressure he suffered here. People like to assume all those problems, failings and mistakes would all have dissapeared with the start of a new season.

Anyway, he's gone now, for good or bad. I wish Roy all the best. 4th place must be the target for the season, though the competition will be tougher than last year i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fulham were hardly cavalier, but they tried to pass the ball, and at home, even with their average players, they often matched and bettered the big sides.

i'm genuinely curious to see how he uses two players in particular - Babel and Lucas.

8m is a lot of money to replace one manager with another i agree. But Roy may be a downgrade on Rafa at his best, but imo there is a good chance he will do better than the Rafa of last year, who i believe (understandably) crumbled under the pressure he suffered here. People like to assume all those problems, failings and mistakes would all have dissapeared with the start of a new season.

Anyway, he's gone now, for good or bad. I wish Roy all the best. 4th place must be the target for the season, though the competition will be tougher than last year i reckon.

If Hodgson has to endure the same injury problems as Rafa did last season we are seriously ****'d. I'd also have a lot more confidence in Rafa turfing Stephen Gerrard out on his ear which really needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he runs a team the way rafa did it (players drilled for every situation and no expectation of flair), but i dont think that he is near as good a coach as Rafa, therefor using that style i dont believe he cant get any more out of the players than Rafa did.

so unless he tries a different system i'll be surprised if we do well.

again lets see what we line up with and work from there...

also bs the pressure got to rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

best of luck woy if it's true
    and hopefully everyone will get behind the manager of our great club and support him the way you did our previous manager, sure he's not near the same class as rafa but we have to move on I'm sure rafa has.
    it's time to move on and look forward not behind his job is gonna be a tough one so let's get behind him and put personal preferences to one side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gerrard out on his ear which really needs to be done.

Why?

Because he had one bad season?

I find it strange when people moan about Gerard after one bad season and defend Benitez for having a bad season. Hypocracy some might say....

I'd also have a lot more confidence in Rafa turfing Stephen Gerrard out on his ear which really needs to be done.

I don't want to get into Rafa debates again, but ffs, Gerrard needed to be dropped last season several times and never was. As i said before here many times Rafa either was oblivious to Gerrard's form, or was turning a blind eye to it. He certainly didn't give him the kick up the arse he needed. Nor do i buy the "but-the-media-would-have-crucified him" argument in relation to dropping Stevie.

Gerrard will be sold if we get a decent offer, i firmly believe that.
    But if he doesn't, hopefully a fresh regime will help get the better performances out of him

also bs the pressure got to rafa

I think it clearly got to him. Unsurprisingly given the stresses he was working under. He looked like he aged 10 years last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

why?

Ahh its just frustrating to see. I dont like the idea that players in the club influence the boards decision making. It just doesn't feel right.

I think the decision should be made by looking at the available candidates and what they could bring to the club rather than pandering to player(s) who are prone to stropy displays.

In one sense I can kind of understand it but ultimately I dont think they should have the final word.

Just as an aside; anyone think Hangeland would follow Roy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,408 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gerrard is a beaten docket in terms of the long haul. I have no doubt that his last great season was 2008 / 9. He is a 30 year old midfielder who has relied on explosive athleticism as a key component of his performances down through the years, and has a lengthy history of niggly injuries. It's all downhill from here irrespective of who is managing the team.

Of course, he is probably still capable of better than last season. But people need to accept that the ceiling of capability will diminish sharply from this season on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Gerrard is a beaten docket in terms of the long haul. I have no doubt that his last great season was 2008 / 9. He is a 30 year old midfielder who has relied on explosive athleticism as a key component of his performances down through the years, and has a lengthy history of niggly injuries. It's all downhill from here irrespective of who is managing the team.

Of course, he is probably still capable of better than last season. But people need to accept that the ceiling of capability will diminish sharply from this season on.

you can't beat a bit of optimism can you .
    Jesus the lad had one bad season just because he doesn't get on the end of his own crosses anymore he's finished. he's still the most influential player at the club and have no doubt will be back to his best next year

he's still the most influential player at the club and have no doubt will be back to his best next year

Here`s hoping.
    I wouldn`t be writing him off because of last season.

Why?

Because he had one bad season?

I find it strange when people moan about Gerard after one bad season and defend Benitez for having a bad season. Hypocracy some might say....

Gerrad has made it perfectly clear for a long time that if we don't challenge for trophies he isn't a happy camper. This team will not be challenging for major trophies for a long time. We saw last year what he's like when he prefers to spend his time sulking around the pitch spending more time shouting at his team-mates then helping out and tracking back.

I don't want to get into Rafa debates again, but ffs, Gerrard needed to be dropped last season several times and never was. As i said before here many times Rafa either was oblivious to Gerrard's form, or was turning a blind eye to it. He certainly didn't give him the kick up the arse he needed. Nor do i buy the "but-the-media-would-have-crucified him" argument in relation to dropping Stevie.

Gerrard will be sold if we get a decent offer, i firmly believe that.
    But if he doesn't, hopefully a fresh regime will help get the better performances out of him

What do you mean you don't buy it? Do you think the media wouldn't have crucified him? They already hated him and if he dropped England's precious world class central midfielder(roflcopters) the backlash would have been huge. Not only from the media but also Gerrard himself. He wouldn't have accepted being dropped in a World cup year, he even throws his toys out of the prams when he's simply asked to play on the right.

He's supposed to be liverpool's club captain, he shouldn't need a fresh regime to get him performing to an even half decent standard.

Gerrad has made it perfectly clear for a long time that if we don't challenge for trophies he isn't a happy camper. This team will not be challenging for major trophies for a long time. We saw last year what he's like when he prefers to spend his time sulking around the pitch spending more time shouting at his team-mates then helping out and tracking back.

Nonsense.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,408 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nonsense.....

No, it isn't. I wish it was, but it isn't. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Rafa seemed to be a horrible man manager. Tactically good but couldn't seem to get a player out of a rut. If Hodgson can get players like Babel, Aquilani, Lucas and a few of the younger "prospects" playing to near what many believed their potential to be then things might be a lot brighter than many Liverpool fans expect.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Rafa seemed to be a horrible man manager. Tactically good but couldn't seem to get a player out of a rut. If Hodgson can get players like Babel, Aquilani, Lucas and a few of the younger "prospects" playing to near what many believed their potential to be then things might be a lot brighter than many Liverpool fans expect.

Lucas had an excellent season lat year under Rafa, Aquilani was only under Rafa for one season and Babel is a headless chicken who has zero footballing intelligence. I'm Alonso disagrees about your theory of not being able to get him out of a rut as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Hodgson has made an awful mistake taking the Liverpool job now. If he doesn't get 4th spot I think he will be gone in 12 months. If he does get 4th or better, all the Rafa heads will turn around and say that its Rafa's team and that he would have done better this season.

I personally rate Hodgson very, very highly and I do think he is the man that can turn things around. I hope that if he does succeed at Liverpool that he gets the credit he deserves. Great man, great manager and a great signing by Liverpool imo.

Lucas had an excellent season lat year under Rafa, Aquilani was only under Rafa for one season and Babel is a headless chicken who has zero footballing intelligence. I'm Alonso disagrees about your theory of not being able to get him out of a rut as well.

Yeah, that was cracking man management skills in dealing with Alonso...

Lucas has not come close to fulfilling his potential with Liverpool, and the fact he was dropped from the Brazil squad compounds that.

Babel may be a headless chicken but he was a prospect very much in demand when Liverpool signed him.

Aquilani was there for one season, it was a tough one for him but any time he showed some potential he was dropped straight after, no chance to build momentum.

Robbie Keane the same.

Rafa was a shít man manager.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think Hodgson has made an awful mistake taking the Liverpool job now. If he doesn't get 4th spot I think he will be gone in 12 months. If he does get 4th or better, all the Rafa heads will turn around and say that its Rafa's team and that he would have done better this season.

I personally rate Hodgson very, very highly and I do think he is the man that can turn things around. I hope that if he does succeed at Liverpool that he gets the credit he deserves. Great man, great manager and a great signing by Liverpool imo.

Bollocks. It's his last shot at a big job unless he wants the England job but who in their right mind would want that?

Amazing opportunity for the man and he'd be an idiot to turn it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bollocks. It's his last shot at a big job unless he wants the England job but who in their right mind would want that?

Amazing opportunity for the man and he'd be an idiot to turn it down.
    Just a suggestion, next time read my whole post and let it digest and then respond.

I've explained my reasons why I think its a big mistake.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, next time read my whole post and let it digest and then respond.

I've explained my reasons why I think its a big mistake.

Read it, digested it.

Giving it a go at this stage of his career is not a big mistake, even if he fails to get in the CL.

If Rafa can fail to get Liverpool into the CL and end up landing the job at the CL champions then i'm sure Roy Hodgson can find another job at a mid table team should he fail.

Yeah, that was cracking man management skills in dealing with Alonso...

Lucas has not come close to fulfilling his potential with Liverpool, and the fact he was dropped from the Brazil squad compounds that.

Babel may be a headless chicken but he was a prospect very much in demand when Liverpool signed him.

Aquilani was there for one season, it was a tough one for him but any time he showed some potential he was dropped straight after, no chance to build momentum.

Robbie Keane the same.

Rafa was a shít man manager.

Did he or did he not get alonso out of a rut? It's not my fault your the one who said that in the first place, I simply correct you on your mistake. How many defensive midfielders fulfill their potential at 23? :confused: You're talking **** tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I suppose first of all if Gerrard gave the board the thumbs up on appointing Hodgson should we take it that he's happy to stay at Anfield?

If so then I believe that Torres would definitely give us at least one more season.

I think Mascherano will definitely go to either Inter (with maybe Cambiasso coming in) or else Barcelona if they don't get Fabregas.

Now let's just say things work out this way. Also that we don't buy anybody else this season (although I do think we definitely need a left back).

So Roy has at his disposal

Reina - Johnson - Agger - Carragher - Insua - (maybe Cambiasso) - Aquilani - Maxi - Gerrard - Babel and Torres. Would this team in a 4-3-3 formation look strong compared to other premiership teams?

I think so and the players we have currently should still be good enough to challenge top 4 and get 1 cup run.

I've been checking Fulham's formations and Hodgson has been changing his from time to time , 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1, 4-3-3. I think this is a good thing as against certain teams 4-2-3-1 was not necessary but was always used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he has the power to leave, or not take the job in the first place, and if he's a good man (which i think he is), he won't stand by while they rape the club.

Nice to see you're able to think for yourself rather than just repeat the ill informed SOS rhetoric.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

C
    Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Nice to see you're able to think for yourself rather than just repeat the ill informed SOS rhetoric.

I still can't get my head around all the bad feeling towards the SOS by some on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

ghostrider3.jpg

Hold me. I'm scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm sorry did I miss the news that riera was a child abuser and serial rapist. no he spoke out against saint rafa which is probably a worse crime in the eyes of many on here

Thats a good poitn as well.

His motivations for doing it are the real problem though, it isn't as if we was issuing a measured assessment as a first XI player. He wasn't getting his game and didn't have the discipline to focus his energies in the right place.

The amount of bench time Yossi has had to put up with in a much longer space of time for example, yet he never said anything so destructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Dub13 wrote: »
    C

I still can't get my head around all the bad feeling towards the SOS by some on this thread.

I would argue that many who have 'bad feelings' about the SOS don't have a full understanding as to their aims and objectives. I would also suggest that they don't really understand LFC and the fans who have supported the team through the good and bad times, home and away for as long as they can remember. I meet 'fans' of Liverpool far too often who find it very easy to criticise and snipe from across the Irish sea, who maybe pop over for a game every once in a while, who are giving the decent batch of Irish fans who follow the team all the time a bad name amongst the locals.

Riera is a moron, and i hope he's sold immediately. But he hasn't killed anyone or really hurt anyone but himself. It wouldn't be beyond me to forgive him if he apologised and knuckled down. Unfortunately, i doubt that's in his character.

• Advertisement

I would argue that many who have 'bad feelings' about the SOS don't have a full understanding as to their aims and objectives. I would also suggest that they don't really understand LFC and the fans who have supported the team through the good and bad times, home and away for as long as they can remember.

Or maybe they do, and have simply a different opinion to you. Something, unfortunately, that too many SOS members cannot get their head around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I would argue that many who have 'bad feelings' about the SOS don't have a full understanding as to their aims and objectives. I would also suggest that they don't really understand LFC and the fans who have supported the team through the good and bad times, home and away for as long as they can remember. I meet 'fans' of Liverpool far too often who find it very easy to criticise and snipe from across the Irish sea, who maybe pop over for a game every once in a while, who are giving the decent batch of Irish fans who follow the team all the time a bad name amongst the locals.

That's bollocks. There are plenty of loyal Liverpool fans who follow the team through thick and thin who don't support SOS for a variety of reasons. The holier-than-thou arrogance which your post displays would be one. Their sometimes questionable, aggressive tactics would be another. Their lack of long-term strategising and organisation, another.

In fairness to SOS, they've come a long way over the last few months but the 'bad feelings' they generate are not just down to a lack of understanding on fans' part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wish they'd get on an make the official announcement so I can quote myself from a few weeks back. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

TBH i have difficulty understanding this post. I fully applaud the end objectives of SOS but there is something a little distasteful to me about the whole debacle. For example Share LFC and SOS have the same end objectives. Why can't they come to agreement? Surely having two factions vying for supporters to support their version of the same end goal is not beneficial to the club. To me it smacks a little of a power struggle, it makes me a tad cynical. I have a fewer more misgivings but this is the main one that makes me question the motivations of the group.

Having said that i do applaud the great efforts they have gone to to insure the club is run in a manner more befitting LFC. People should be rewarded for trying alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

you can't beat a bit of optimism can you .
    Jesus the lad had one bad season just because he doesn't get on the end of his own crosses anymore he's finished. he's still the most influential player at the club and have no doubt will be back to his best next year

Not even close. That mantle belongs to our two genuine world class players, Torres and Reina.

That's bollocks. There are plenty of loyal Liverpool fans who follow the team through thick and thin who don't support SOS for a variety of reasons. The holier-than-thou arrogance which your post displays would be one. Their sometimes questionable, aggressive tactics would be another. Their lack of long-term strategising and organisation, another.

In fairness to SOS, they've come a long way over the last few months but the 'bad feelings' they generate are not just down to a lack of understanding on fans' part.

This is a load of nonsense. Care to list their top ten aggresive tactics?

101001 wrote: »
    TBH i have difficulty understanding this post. I fully applaud the end objectives of SOS but there is something a little distasteful to me about the whole debacle. For example Share LFC and SOS have the same end objectives. Why can't they come to agreement? Surely having two factions vying for supporters to support their version of the same end goal is not beneficial to the club. To me it smacks a little of a power struggle, it makes me a tad cynical. I have a fewer more misgivings but this is the main one that makes me question the motivations of the group.

Having said that i do applaud the great efforts they have gone to to insure the club is run in a manner more befitting LFC. People should be rewarded for trying alone

Not a power struggle at all. The SOS LSU is a registered union. The two cannot just be merged. And they are now working together, as for example John Aldrige, Share Liverpool member, will be present on Sunday and the following statement outlined the progress they were making.
    Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC Update

Friday 18th June 2010

In the last month both Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC have had a significant number of approaches urging both organisations to work harder for a more formal arrangement between them.

Both organisations want to reassure their members and registrants that they entirely share the view that supporters' organisations need to work together in order to secure fan ownership of our club.

Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC have worked hard over the last few months, and particularly the last few weeks, to formalise the combined work of both organisations toward this shared objective.

There were some difficulties in developing the structure of a merged organisation but both organisations remain totally committed to working towards the same goal and have never lost sight of this fact during the dialogue.

We are pleased to say that the discussions that have been continuing have resulted in the issues between the organisations being largely resolved.

Both organisations are currently finalising the details of how a unified organisation to deliver fan ownership will work. We would hope to be able to make a formal announcement within the next couple of weeks about this, but it is reassuring that we can now look forward to coordinated supporters' ownership being pursued in tandem by both Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

in fairness though people can not agree with them AND also not spit bile when someone mentions them.

this is like Lucas, there is something between rubbish and world class - there is only extremes on this forum it seems....

also how happy must Lauri Della Valle be if Woy comes in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This man speaks the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Is Roy a done deal lads? I just realised I put a little bet on him on betfair about a month ago, 'twould be nice to have a few bob in the accounst for the matches at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Was thinking that alright...maybe he'll bring Butchmann back with him aswell and he'll turn into a world class LB...."maybe" being the operative word there :)

Very happy, i'd imagine. A finnish poster wrote this on another forum, not sure how reliable it is, but i don't see why he's make it up:
    According to a very recent interview (10th June) in a Finnish paper with LDV, the reserves' fitness coach Gonzalo Rodriquez has already left LFC. He also expects all the other Spanish staff (senior team & reserves) to leave soon or that it is at least extremely likely they will leave. He might leave on loan next season, but that depends on the new management. He would prefer Hodgson as Roy already knows Lauri as a player. He also felt that Rafa didn't give enough chances to the younger players. He's currently on holiday in Finland, but will return to Liverpool in the beginning of July unless pre-season duties require him to be there earlier. There's a chance he might feature for the first team in pre-season with the World Cup taking it's toll on most of the first team strikers, so they'll probably return later.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Was thinking that alright...maybe he'll bring Butchmann back with him aswell and he'll turn into a world class LB...."maybe" being the operative word there :)

Buchtmann was released/let go/left Fulham to go back to Germany, i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

flahavaj wrote: »
    Is Roy a done deal lads? I just realised I put a little bet on him on betfair about a month ago, 'twould be nice to have a few bob in the accounst for the matches at the weekend.

some lad from the NOTW (yes, i know), was on SSN this morning saying it'll be announced today, and the press conference should be later this week.

i've still got that salt in my hand for the time being as to when it'll be announced.

but for all intents and purposes, it seems done.

flahavaj wrote: »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/06/30/roy-hodgson-is-the-new-liverpool-fc-manager-100252-26753865/
    ROY HODGSON will be officially named Liverpool FC’s new manager today (Wednesday) . . .

. . . will meet those Liverpool players who have not been at the World Cup tomorrow (Wednesday) when they return for pre-season training.

I'd say it's 99.99% certain now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

PAY UP BETFAIR.

Nothing more annoying than an empty account and 2/3 games of soccer a day that I could be betting on.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Looks like the betting has been suspended and PP are giving odds of 10/1 for Danny Murphy to rejoin.

super-rush wrote: »
    10/1 for Danny Murphy to rejoin.

Roy out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

super-rush wrote: »
    Looks like the betting has been suspended and PP are giving odds of 10/1 for Danny Murphy to rejoin.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Top 8 it is then for Pool. Woy gives the club the stability it needs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement