Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,129 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Very happy, i'd imagine. A finnish poster wrote this on another forum, not sure how reliable it is, but i don't see why he's make it up:
    According to a very recent interview (10th June) in a Finnish paper with LDV, the reserves' fitness coach Gonzalo Rodriquez has already left LFC. He also expects all the other Spanish staff (senior team & reserves) to leave soon or that it is at least extremely likely they will leave. He might leave on loan next season, but that depends on the new management. He would prefer Hodgson as Roy already knows Lauri as a player. He also felt that Rafa didn't give enough chances to the younger players. He's currently on holiday in Finland, but will return to Liverpool in the beginning of July unless pre-season duties require him to be there earlier. There's a chance he might feature for the first team in pre-season with the World Cup taking it's toll on most of the first team strikers, so they'll probably return later.

Balls, this is what I was afraid of. Last thing I want to see is the youth and reserve staff disband, that was the best thing Rafa did while at the club. As it stands we have the best in the business with the chaps responsible for the emergence of Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi etc.

if its just the Spanish reserve guys its not the end of the world, but i really don't want to lose Segura and Borrell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

super-rush wrote: »
    Looks like the betting has been suspended and PP are giving odds of 10/1 for Danny Murphy to rejoin.

I wouldn't mind seeing Danny back tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,408 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Balls, this is what I was afraid of. Last thing I want to see is the youth and reserve staff disband, that was the best thing Rafa did while at the club. As it stands we have the best in the business with the chaps responsible for the emergence of Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi etc.

Oh dear god. :(

What a disastrous few months it's been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ROY HODGSON is seeking reassurances from Liverpool over what proportion of any funds he raises from player sales will be made available to strengthen the club's squad before agreeing a deal to succeed Rafael Benitez, WRITES JASON BURT.

Though the Anfield club have not yet matched the £2.5m compensation fee demanded by the 62-year-old's employers Fulham, it is not believed that will prove a significant obstacle, and Liverpool remain confident of announcing Hodgson's arrival before the end of the week.

As well as reaching a compromise with Fulham, Christian Purslow, Liverpool's managing director, must also agree the length of Hodgson's contract and offer the former Blackburn manager guarantees over the level of transfer funding he will be offered once he arrives on Merseyside.

Liverpool are said to have about £15m set aside to bolster the squad, though sources at Anfield admit that will be reduced by whatever compensation is paid to Fulham.

Hodgson is thought to be concerned at the prospect of losing several of Liverpool's most valuable assets and not being handed the finances to boost his resources.

Should he take over at Anfield, his first task is likely to be rubber-stamping Yossi Benayoun's £5.5m switch to Chelsea, while doubts continue to linger over the futures of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, with Hodgson likely to seek talks with the pair in an attempt to keep them on Merseyside.

Should either leave, though, he does not wish to suffer a repeat of Benitez's final summer at Liverpool, when the Spaniard had far less money to spend than he expected.

Daily Telegraph, London)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hodgson-wants-reds-war-chest-2239486.html

£15m to spend?

i'd be surprised if it's even that much.

i always love the term 'war chest'; such an embelishment of what he'll actually be getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

So we have spent 8.5m on getting rid of Rafa and getting in Roy Hodgson. I gave Rafa a bit of stick, but I still think this is a bad piece of business.
    Anyway, lets just see what happens over the next few hours. If Roy gets the job, more power to him and I hope he works out as good as his employers expect!

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing Danny back tbh.

Listen, I like Danny Murphy. He was a very good player for us, and produced the goods in notable fashions in some memorable wins. :)

But he would be a bad signing for us right now this minute. He is 33 and, while he undoubtedly does some things on a football pitch to a really high level, he bears some gaping deficiencies in his skill set.

He would be a signing with very little upside, and a signing that doesn't improve upon the starting 11 that finished last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

SlickRic wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hodgson-wants-reds-war-chest-2239486.html

£15m to spend?

i'd be surprised if it's even that much.

i always love the term 'war chest'; such an embelishment of what he'll actually be getting.

More of a war match box."

Its even more galling that Fergie apparently has a massive war chest , but unfortunately its locked and the Glazers ate the key. Meanwhile across the city the other lot are buying the exact players United need, Silva and Toure.:(

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Listen, I like Danny Murphy. He was a very good player for us, and produced the goods in notable fashions in some memorable wins. :)

But he would be a bad signing for us right now this minute. He is 33 and, while he undoubtedly does some things on a football pitch to a really high level, he bears some gaping deficiencies in his skill set.

He would be a signing with very little upside, and a signing that doesn't improve upon the starting 11 that finished last season.

I think we would get him for pittens, and that we might get a season or two out of him. He would be a handy squad player who would improve team spirit due to his ties with Carra and Gerrard. I could see him playing a similar role to what Gary Mac did for us a couple of seasons a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

At least we won't have to listen to any David Silva rumours this summer

I think we would get him for pittens, and that we might get a season or two out of him. He would be a handy squad player who would improve team spirit due to his ties with Carra and Gerrard. I could see him playing a similar role to what Gary Mac did for us a couple of seasons a go.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree I guess! :)

The key difference for me is that Gary McAllister actually improved our first 11 by a decent margin when he signed for us. He was a first choice selection for us in big games during the first season he was there. I don't see Murphy as capable of providing a similar impact. Nor do I think appeasing Carragher or Gerrard is any sort of worthwhile motive when it comes to the question of which players to purchase.

But as I say, fully aware that there is a competing train of thought in terms of the above points!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never rated that Silva bloke, all promise, no delivery ;)

I named checked Spud yesterday, his current role at Fulham as a fulcrum has worked out really well. All teams need one and with Masch probably going somewhere he could sit in a new look middle a la Garry Mac/Jan Molby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Murphy at his peak was never as good as the older version of Gary Mac we had playing at the club, so I could not see a Murphy coming towards the end of his career being anything other than a massive step backwards.

At the moment we have Lucas, Mascherano, and Aquilani as the main contenders for the two midfield slots. Is Murphy as good as any of them? I think the answer is that he is nowhere close to any of the three.

Sure he got some crucial goals against United in his time with us, but I think that has caused a lot of people to remember him more fondly than his abilities deserved.

At his peak he was a decent player, but nothing special. Would much prefer to see a younger player either bought or promoted from the reserves as back up than wasting money on Murphy.

mike65 wrote: »
    Never rated that Silva bloke, all promise, no delivery ;)

I named checked Spud yesterday, his current role at Fulham as a fulcrum has worked out really well. All teams need one and with Masch probably going somewhere he could sit in a new look middle a la Garry Mac/Jan Molby

Just without the talent and quality that those two players had.

You appear to be missing the point, its not about ultimate talent its about, cue drum roll - Systems! Roy Hodgson like his systems and Murphy fits his at Fulham very well. I can see the potential for same at Liverpool while noting that he may not move of course, he could be very happy in London these days and see no reason to go back north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

danny murphy? if this is the level of player that Woy is bringing in, my apathy for his appointment will be totally justified....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Good news!

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/liverpool/milan-confirms-liverpool-move-1074197.html
    Milan Jovanovic has confirmed he is on his way to Liverpool for pre-season training, ending speculation his move could be off.
    The Serbian midfielder, who scored the winning goal for his country against Germany in the World Cup, will leave Standard Liege and join Liverpool on a three-year contract.

Jovanovic, 29, rejected claims that the departure of ex-manager Rafael Benitez for Inter had ever affected his situation.

"I am going to Liverpool," he told Nieuwsblad.

"I have signed there for three years. I repeat: no pre-agreement - a real contract. And the departure of Benítez changes nothing.

"I have maintained contact with the Executive Board of Liverpool and everything is good.

"Everything is in order since in the last two years I have played 75 per cent of the matches for my national side.

"Next I am looking for a house. On the 14th or 15th July I will join the squad for a training camp in Switzerland. But, as from Thursday, I want start my individual training programme so I can show them immediately that I am worth a place in the side."

danny murphy? if this is the level of player that Woy is bringing in, my apathy for his appointment will be totally justified....

What do you want like? Roy isn't going to be bankrolled to bring in world beaters, far from it. Thus I'll settle for him signing players he has had a good working relationship with.

You appear to be missing the point, its not about ultimate talent its about, cue drum roll - Systems! Roy Hodgson like his systems and Murphy fits his at Fulham very well. I can see the potential for same at Liverpool while noting that he may not move of course, he could be very happy in London these days and see no reason to go back north.

I think talent does play a big part in how effective a player is in a system. Murphy does fit the system at Fulham well, but Fulham are a team with lower expectations, so fitting a system there is hardly the same as doing so in a team that will be hoping to challenge for a CL slot over the coming years.

Murphy was deemed not good enough to fit into the system of a club with higher expectation six years ago, what has changed for him since then?

He pretty much flopped at Charlton, flopped at Spurs, then found his level at Fulham. Good enough for Liverpool, even the current sub par Liverpool, I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not even close. That mantle belongs to our two genuine world class players, Torres and Reina.

God I love Reina, top top bloke! should be captain imo!

• Advertisement

whoever it was going to be, it was never going to be an exciting appointment.

we don't have the money, or ambition right now.

Rafa (sorry to mention his name!), for the deficiencies he had, when it came to what he thought the club deserved in terms of success on the football field, he was very ambitious, and demanded that from the owners.

i hope Hodgson is similar, but if the likes of Danny Murphy are who we'll be relying on next year, the evidence points to it being a season of apathy as expected.

Excellent news. From what i saw in the world cup he could be a valuable squad member this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

whoever it was going to be, it was never going to be an exciting appointment.

we don't have the money, or ambition right now.

Rafa (sorry to mention his name!), for the deficiencies he had, when it came to what he thought the club deserved in terms of success on the football field, he was very ambitious, and demanded that from the owners.

i hope Hodgson is similar, but if the likes of Danny Murphy are who we'll be relying on next year, the evidence points to it being a season of apathy as expected.

Do you honestly believe he is going to bring in Danny Murphy??!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He pretty much flopped at Charlton, flopped at Spurs, then found his level at Fulham. Good enough for Liverpool, even the current sub par Liverpool, I don't think so.

He most certainly did not flop at Charlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

What do you want like? Roy isn't going to be bankrolled to bring in world beaters, far from it. Thus I'll settle for him signing players he has had a good working relationship with.

to not sign rubbish (rubbish is harsh but players well below our level) players for the sake of it. why not sign the whole fulham team then and we can have a bottom half finish and have all these great working relationships.

danny was never at the level of McAllister at ANY stage in his career, and to think he could do a job for us at his age now like macca did is a foolish thought...

noodler wrote: »
    He most certainly did not flop at Charlton.

He lasted 18 months of a four year contract there, and was very poor for his first year and then was sold six months into his second season.

Sounds like a player who flopped to me.

Then went to Spurs and had little or no impact there before again being moved on about 18 months or so.

• Advertisement

to not sign rubbish (rubbish is harsh but players well below our level) players for the sake of it. why not sign the whole fulham team then and we can have a bottom half finish and have all these great working relationships.

danny was never at the level of McAllister at ANY stage in his career, and to think he could do a job for us at his age now like macca did is a foolish thought...

To be honest there are 2 or 3 Fulham players that I'd have no problem with Roy signing. I think Danny Murphy has performed to a high standard under Roy, leading the team in victories over Man U an even ourselves for example. I just don't see the problem with Roy signing a player that has played very well for him, and most likely could be gotten for eff all.

I disagree with your assessment of Danny Murphy's ability, there's no real point arguing over it.

Listen we could any amount of fun with the Fulham names, Duffer? Hangaland? Zamora?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He lasted 18 months of a four year contract there, and was very poor for his first year and then was sold six months into his second season.

Sounds like a player who flopped to me.

Then went to Spurs and had little or no impact there before again being moved on about 18 months or so.

Completely disagree that he didn't play well.

I don't think Zamora could be got for good value after last season.
    Duff . . . we're already too old in wide/attacking areas. At some point we have to look to the future, and sign someone younger. Jovanavic is no spring chicken either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I think he could be a good goal getter. Thanks Rafa!

• Advertisement

Just have to agree to disagree then. :)

Jovanovic is good news. Left footed, can play up front or out wide, looked solid during Serbia's games, costs nothing.

Duff would be our best bet from Fulham.

He's not a spring chicken either, but he'd provide us much needed energy and width.

Zamora would be quality if we could get him for in and around £6m-ish, which is highly unlikely.

short of that, Danny Murphy is the next best thing; but again, he's another stop gap for a season. he'd improve nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

He was never consistant at Charlton, had a few good spells but overall didnt work out for him. Think they lost money selling him on to Spurs, they wouldnt have let him go cheap if he had been doing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Was interested to see some quotes from moratti about hodgson.

"Roy Hodgson was an *important person in the *development of Inter Milan to the point we have reached today,” said Moratti. “He saved us at the right time.
    worldcup_mpu1.gif news_mpu_article_300x250;sz=300x250;pos=article;sect=news;psect=home;templ=article;tile=8;oid=448745;ord=?

Edit.......dont know how to delete the pic :)

“When he came we were in trouble, and things appeared dark. He didn’t panic, he was calm and made us calm

“Disaster was averted at the most important time. Everyone at Inter will remember him for that and his contribution. He is considered by us all as an important person in our history. He left an endowment to this club that’s important in our history.”

Hodgson worked on a limited budget and initially had few of the star names synonymous with the present-day club – his biggest player was Paul Ince. But he unified a previously fractured squad, and created one of the most fondly *remembered sides of that decade.

Moratti believes that if *Liverpool want a man to calm troubled waters and bring stability to Anfield, the Fulham boss is ideal.

Hodgson had a second spell at Inter as caretaker boss after his sacking by *Blackburn in 1998.

“Roy has experience,” Moratti said. “He came back to us to help us when we needed someone to step in and calm things down as a stand-in manager.

“If Liverpool or any club need someone with authority and with a fine reputation people will look up to, players and fans alike, he’s a perfect candidate.

“We still see him, he is part of our family, and always welcome at our club. I’ve been asked about his qualities, and I’d say he has many, most importantly of all he has qualities as a man.”

This is slightly by the way, but when talking about potential managers for a club, do you think in terms of silverware first or systems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is slightly by the way, but when talking about potential managers for a club, do you think in terms of silverware first or systems?

Stability..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

If Roy is to bring anyone from Fulham with him I'd have Clint Dempsey at the top of my list.

yom 1 wrote: »
    If Roy is to bring anyone from Fulham with him I'd have Clint Dempsey at the top of my list.

as a replacement for Benny?

or Lucas/Aquilani?

or Gerrard?

it's just we don't need him through the middle unless Stevie goes, and i don't think i could handle any more lack of width if he's put in Benny's position!

i agree in principle though, in that he is a quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Surely Brede Hangeland is the one Fulham player that Pool fans will want Hodgson to bring with him? lad is solid as a rock. Although of course would he go to Pool ahead of any team offering CL football, particuarly a London based one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

He barely starts for Fulham sure. Supersub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I know £15m is a small sum of money in the current climate, but Hodgson is the one man I'd expect to get full value for money with that sum.

Signing Kevin Davies whilst he was managing Blackburn is always going to be a stick to beat Hodgson with by people who don't want him at the helm of LFC, but he's gotten value for money at Fulham with most of his signings.

His knowledge of Scandinavian players and the numerous other leagues in which he's managed could come in handy for us - he signed Hangelaand as a complete unknown for half nothing and look how that turned out.

Overall Hodgson is the best manager we could've signed to help us do well with a limited budget imo

Surely Brede Hangeland is the one Fulham player that Pool fans will want Hodgson to bring with him? lad is solid as a rock. Although of course would he go to Pool ahead of any team offering CL football, particuarly a London based one.

He would play well alongside Agger in my view. Good passer, calm, physical when needed and excellent in the air. What age is he now? 30 or 31?

Edit: Just checked online, seems he turned 29 ten days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Hodgson definitely has an eye for a good player , but all this talk about taking on a club in a crisis etc is a little OTT .

The only crisis at Liverpool is the 2 muppets at helm , they are looking to sell :D so that's a better situation than say UTD.

I welcome Roy as a man who could stop the rot and give is a rock solid benchmark over the short term ,but as a long term future building manager I have my reservations .

M

mixednuts wrote: »
    Hodgson definitely has an eye for a good player , but all this talk about taking on a club in a crisis etc is a little OTT .

The only crisis at Liverpool is the 2 muppets at helm , they are looking to sell :D so that's a better situation than say UTD.

I welcome Roy as a man who could stop the rot and give is a rock solid benchmark over the short term ,but as a long term future building manager I have my reservations .

How dare you, how dare you!

There is no room for striking a calm optimistic note on this thread. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

.... i don't think i could handle any more lack of width if he's put in Benny's position!

What's this width thing you speak of??? :p

You're right we need width big time. I just dont think we'll get any again with the lack of funds. I think Dempsey could be a very good addition to our attacking options in the squad for a relatively small fee, especially as it seems certain that Yossi is going.

We seriously lacked players with an eye for goal last season with Torres missing so much and Stevie sulking. Dempsey and Jovanovic could help solve this, along with Aqualani hopefully finding his feet. This could leave the limited funds we have left for a left back in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Width - bring in Duff from Fulham. With out limited budget, we can;t really do any better, and we'd get him for a good price, even if it was only for a season.

He's lost a bit of pace sure, but he's still tricky, still an international standard player, a good crosser of the ball, and can score. We could do a lot worse, and especially as Riera will most likely be packing his bags, we'd be VERY short on the left side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

As bad as we are, Dempsey would add literally nothing to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

You know the likes of Liam Lawerence would offer width at a knock down price very good defensively and could put a lot of crosses into the box

• Advertisement

Width - bring in Duff from Fulham. With out limited budget, we can;t really do any better, and we'd get him for a good price, even if it was only for a season.

He's lost a bit of pace sure, but he's still tricky, still an international standard player, a good crosser of the ball, and can score. We could do a lot worse, and especially as Riera will most likely be packing his bags, we'd be VERY short on the left side.

I would imagine where Jovanovic figures in the plans of a new manager will decide if a left winger/wide midfielder is needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement