Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

1659660661662663665»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

daithijjj wrote: »
    Sure, i never suggested he took over a squad full of rubbish. He did however, take over a squad with some good players playing very badly. I think we can draw some comparisons here with last seasons liverpool.

I think you are doing hodgson a disservice by suggesting it was his signings that got blackburn relegated. He signed stephane henchoz too, not a bad player i think you will agree. Blackburn had alot of unrest in the boardroom and the dressing room, there was also the 'loss' of chris 'im too good for england B' sutton. He had all the lovability of an itchy verruca and caused unrest within the ranks. Hodgson had to deal with infighting etc there (as did the next man who came in).

This pretty much sums up Liverpool. But I love the way for Hodgson the blame gets passed on to the boards and players while it was firmly lumped on Rafa for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

could be interpreted either way tbh, i feel it was left ambiguous for a reason...

There was no intentional ambiguity. For the most part, i think the folk who post here are savvy enough to know what was meant by the sentiment of the post. I just wasnt in the mood to give a full breakdown of his entire inter career. People can do that themselves with a few clicks. Probably a good few doing just that this week.

().

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

flahavaj wrote: »
    If anyone expects the style of football to change much from the Benitez reign they're very much mistaken. Hodgson's philosophy is to keep things tight at the back, he prides himself on how well orginsed his teams are and makes his teams very very difficult to break down. Players who have played under him have spoken at great lengths about how long he spends on the training ground setting his teams up in two backs of four and every player is made aware in muinute detail of their defensive responsibilities.

He will make ye very very hard to beat and ye will still be very much reliant on gerrard and Torres to provide the spark. If anything he might be even more defensively minded than Rafa.

Don't expect too many fireworks lads.
    exactly, i dont understand changing the manager to one who plays the same style. if you're gonna make a change bring in a fresh attitude and approach...

It only has to be an improvement on last season.
    Hopefully the freshness will come from the players being motivated by a new regime, new training methods, different man-management techniques.

I personally thought, although Fulham were a disciplined, organised side, they passed the ball well (especially at home).

Exactly, I think it is more a case of chnage in general rather than simply tactical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

This pretty much sums up Liverpool. But I love the way for Hodgson the blame gets passed on to the boards and players while it was firmly lumped on Rafa for the most part.

There isnt a reds fan i know that doesnt apportion blame on the owners. Thats not to say that rafa is whiter than white either. Rafa had a bad season and with the squad available to him he underperformed, even his most fervent followers agree. I didnt mind him getting another year but its history now, we have to look to the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Something mildly Liverpool related, about Gerrard, and possible explanation of the week performances of England in the world cup.

Received this e-mail just now (obviously, please take a large pinch of salt before reading):

118536.jpg

Whats the sister look like?

Had to be asked.

epic. :pac: That's far more believable then the 16 year old story, especially considering the rumours of what his wife was like. Sounds like ultimate payback on Gerrards part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

noodler wrote: »
    Whats the sister look like?

Had to be asked.

Dunno **heads to google images**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

saw that as well, sure we've been hearing this story for months now, the gag order is always tomorrow or next week.

we'll see...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any pics lads ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

apparently she doesnt have any sisters, and theyve been split up for months anyway

Helix wrote: »
    apparently she doesnt have any sisters, and theyve been split up for months anyway

Eh Hello

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_alex_curran_have_any_sisters

I hardly think Wiki answers would lie to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Laughable rubbish. Alex Curran doesn't have a sister, she has two brothers........

Seriously this Gerrard rumour stuff is a load of ****e. It's up there with John O'Shea being gay.

Laughable rubbish. Alex Curran doesn't have a sister, she has two brothers........

Seriously this Gerrard rumour stuff is a load of ****e. It's up there with John O'Shea being gay.

Gerrard got JOS pregnant? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

...It's up there with John O'Shea being gay.

WHAT!??! Hes not?! I feel used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

101001 wrote: »
    WHAT!??! Hes not?! I feel used

You aswell ?? Slut !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So it is a 16 year old but one of her brothers?

/shame :eek:

maybe it was nando he got knocked up and thats why he's been out of sorts recently :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

DubDani wrote: »
    Bayern had a 15m Euro bid for him turned down last week, and Benfica are holding out for at least 25m Euro.

Benfica are gonna be fair rich by the end of the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Roy is now Liverpool manager and if your a fan of Liverpool you should give him your full support as I'm sure he will try his best .
    he is as good as a manager as we could have hoped for being realistic.

I'll support Roy alright, but seeing as Pellegrini was interviewed I'm actually not sure we made the right choice, and I'd love to know why he wasn't appointed.
    noodler wrote: »
    It only has to be an improvement on last season.

I'm 100% certain we would have improved on last season if Rafa had stayed. So many things had to go wrong for us to finish in that position, and I don't see that happening again.

I'm also 100% certain that this was not the only criterion the owners had in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes but they finished 6th the previous season, as I said he didn't inherit a squad of bad players. Same when Spurs were in relegation, the players weren't rubbish really it was other factors.

It didn't work out well for Blackburn at all. They got relegated after they sacked him, maybe it was because the following managers had to work with crap players Hodgson bought? Once they sacked Hodgson they replaced him with Kidd in November 1998, he last until October 1999, and then was replaced with care-taker manager for until March 2000 when Souness came in.
    I'll answer this one. I posted elsewhere about this last night but I'll even go into more detail here.

He was way ahead of his time when he arrived back in England to take charge at Blackburn Rovers. He brought in fitness coaches, dieticians, double training sessions, bleep tests and all manner of other things that were not the norm back then but are all part of every Premier League club's setups now.

When he arrived at the club there were a lot of players there who were living off the Premier League success a few years previously. He showed his ruthless side by getting rid of a bunch of players and brought in some decent players including Stephane Henchoz who would eventually play for Liverpool.
    We started under Hodgson like a house on fire, playing the best football I've ever seen Rovers play. We were fighting tooth and nail at the top of the table with United and Arsenal up until a bad run of form in December. We eventually finished 6th which was disappointing after the great run we had early in the season but good because we had been dreadful the year before. Chris Sutton has his best season ever as a Rover and while Kevin Davies was not scoring he was doing a lot right but the media, the fans and the players were not happy that he wasn't scoring and he eventually got dropped, it just so happens that this coincided with our bad run of form in December.

The big problem Roy Hodgson had at Blackburn was an horrendous list of injuries at the start of his second season, Sutton and Gallagher suffered from a lot of injuries throughout their time at Blackburn and missed the early part of the season. We had injuries all over the pitch and things were really bad, we couldn't convert possession into goals due to having no strikers. There was also a movement by players to get rid of him, a lot of these players just didn't like the amount of training that was involved and when the opportunity arose to get rid of him they took it.
    Tim Sherwood was the leader of this, Sherwood had used his money wisely and was a successful businessman at that stage, he didn't want to spend anymore time than he had to in Blackburn, they blamed the injuries on the Hodgson's training methods and the club listened and sacked him and took on Brian Kidd and then the nightmares really started for my beloved Blackburn Rovers. Kidd got rid of Sherwood shortly after he became manager.

Hodgson was really unfortunate at Blackburn, injuries led to a big drop in form in his second season there and it was the senior players that got him sacked because they didn't like the his training methods which were way ahead of their time.

The job he has done at Fulham is remarkable. I wonder if he will try and take players from there, Hangeland would be a great one for Liverpool. Anyways I do hope that Hodgson does well there.
    Oh and I hope Rafa fails miserably at Inter which might shut the Rafa lovers up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I see according to The Liverpool Echo that Hodgsons first move will be to ratify the £6 Millon transfer of Benayoun to Chelsea. I would have hoped he may have reconsidered staying. Big loss that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I see according to The Liverpool Echo that Hodgsons first move will be to ratify the £6 Millon transfer of Benayoun to Chelsea. I would have hoped he may have reconsidered staying. Big loss that.

I'll miss him but I can't blame him at his age.

No more Yossi smells.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i'm liking hodgson getting the job i just hope he has the ego for a club of liverpools size cos imo a big ego is needed to keep some players in check (not necessarily pool players).

Hopefully anyway all goes well and he can stabilise the club next season which has to be priority number 1, every week we're hearing stories about different goings on, and thats not good for anyone. Best of luck Woy!!!!!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

J
    Dodgy indeed... had a read of that myself earlier. Thats a nice chunk of change cole is looking for, 100-110K a week. I dont think signing Joe Cole would be a bad bet, would the board pay that much for him? Thats about double what yossi was on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

101001 wrote: »
    J
    Dodgy indeed... had a read of that myself earlier. Thats a nice chunk of change cole is looking for, 100-110K a week. I dont think signing Joe Cole would be a bad bet, would the board pay that much for him? Thats about double what yossi was on

its stupid money and personally i wouldn't want him at the club.

its stupid money and personally i wouldn't want him at the club.

100k a week for an overrated 28 yr old.

No thanks. Let Spurs have him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

rarnes1 wrote: »
    100k a week for an overrated 28 yr old.

No thanks. Let Spurs have him.

He bought a new pad in Italy and it looks like he's going to Milan.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He bought a new pad in Italy and it looks like he's going to Milan.

Notw ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Notw ?

Sun...and getting 60,000 a week. Didn't Chelsea offer that?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Sun...and getting 60,000 a week. Didn't Chelsea offer that?

Top paper that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

All this talk of Hodgon... it's been the same every Wednesday for the past 3 weeks. I'll believe it when I see it. My money is on Hitzfeld... literally lol.

I'll believe Hodgson is manager when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest, I think we should be going for all out for Cole at that price for several reasons;
    1) realistically we won't do better and could do a lot worse.

2) he's a big name signing which can only be a positive in the battle to keep torres

3) he'll make big money on jersey sales

4) another englishman to help out with our quota

5) he's the type of player we desperately need - inventive and unpridictable

6) financially with yossi leaving it makes sense. Yossi is leaving for 6 million. The difference in wages between him and Cole is a max of 50000 per week. That's a cost over 3 years wages of 7.8 million. Take yossis fee off this and we have a younger, better, English replacement for a max total outlay of 1.8 million if he takes yossis spot in the squad, and wages.
    Not to mention we could sell in 2 years for profit, worst case scenario.

Do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Totally agree - Cole would be an amazing signing on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Has Woy been confirmed yet?

Has Woy been confirmed yet?

No, but will be weally soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No, but will be weally soon.

:D

evil_seed wrote: »
    All this talk of Hodgon... it's been the same every Wednesday for the past 3 weeks. I'll believe it when I see it. My money is on Hitzfeld... literally lol.

I'll believe Hodgson is manager when I see it.

carlsberg deal ends today, standard and chartered deal begins tomorrow, they want to have the place decked out in the new sponsor for the press conference apparently and this has been the delay this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

carlsberg deal ends today, standard and chartered deal begins tomorrow, they want to have the place decked out in the new sponsor for the press conference apparently and this has been the delay this week.

That makes a whole pile of sense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ok folks tomorrow we may get some news on the manager front so no better time to start a brand new fresh thread for next season.

Your new thread is Here.Mr Alan wins the fastest finger (mosts posts) on this thread again.

Thread locked,and lets hope we don't have another season like this one ever again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement