Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I gotta be honest here, this thread is almost 100% pure FAIL so far. Its like "the Phoney War" right now and saying nothing seems the wise move.

The Lucas to Corinthians story is unexpected and makes no strategic or even tactical sense at all for Rafa. I'd give it a 2 on the probability scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

el rabitos wrote: »
    if losing alonso, losing lucas, having a troubled/unhappy macherano gives you the urge to "happy dance", i'd hate to see how much you'll be dancing by xmas when we're out of the race before it even starts. again.

what about Gerrard back in the middle with yossi in front of him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Headshot wrote: »

Rafa doesn't rate Gerrard as a central midfielder.He prefers him on the wing or second striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

gerrard is awesome and i'd trust him at right back if we needed it, but he's 29 now and him and torres in the current system works, you dont tamper with something that works this well.

i just think at the age he is (not that he's old by any means) the best position for him is further forward than central midfield, i think his days as a box to box midfielder for 50 + games a season is pretty much at an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Simple answer is no, we should play our best players in their best position and with Gerrard being one of our best players we should play him in his best position which is just off Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    I see your point, but there's not a hope in hell Lucas will ever end up with a similar status at the club as Carragher.
    Are you trying to tell me that you think Lucas can become a Liverpool Legend ?

Really ?

What about N'Gog ?

Plessis ?

Voronin ?

I have never said anything about N'Gog, Plessis or Voronin.
    Lucas, staying at Liverpool for 10 more seasons improving every year has every chance of ending up with a ''similar status'' at the club as Carragher. I never mentioned anything about him becoming a Liverpool Legend, read your posts and stop twisting my words. I`m not getting drawn into a Lucas debate with you anymore. Your welcome to your opinion. I however am a liverpool fan and will continue to support Liverpool players such as N'Gog, Plessis Voronin and Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

if losing alonso, losing lucas, having a troubled/unhappy macherano gives you the urge to "happy dance", i'd hate to see how much you'll be dancing by xmas when we're out of the race before it even starts. again.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

1. I would prefer to keep Xabi, however both player and manager want him to move. I've come to accept it and I'm not angry about it anymore.

2. Lucas leaving makes me happy.

3. Our title bid doesn't depend on Lucas staying.

4. If we adequately replace Alonso we will win the league.

5. You should be a little more optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1204097/Liverpool-target-Steven-Defour-eyes-Anfield-Reds-ponder-Xabi-Alonso-replacement.html
    Steven Defour has joined Roma’s Alberto Aquilani on the list of candidates to replace Xabi Alonso at the heart of Liverpool’s midfield and has admitted his interest in an £18m Anfield move.

While Real Madrid have yet to match Liverpool’s valuation on Alonso, Defour, 21, said: ‘I have an agreement with Standard Liege that I could go to a top club, and Liverpool fit the bill.’

Defour, who is under contract until 2013, is also wanted by Real Madrid should they fail to prise Alonso away from Anfield.
    Steven's name has been mentioned not only at Real Madrid, but also at Liverpool - they are looking at him too,' said the player's agent, Paul Stefani.

'Normally he would stay for another year, but nobody could say no to clubs like those - and Liege would not stand in his way.'

Everton, Arsenal and Aston Villa have previously shown interest in the promising playmaker, who inspired Liege to their first title in 25 years.

Championship club Barnsley, meanwhile, expect to sign Liverpool winger Adam Hammill on loan this week as well as Charlton striker Andy Gray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

You might not like it but essentially they are right though, we won't win the league with Lucas in the team regularly. Nobody is blaming him, it's Benitez's fault, he signed him, he plays him continually - just like he did with some other poor players.

What job does Lucas do in our team ?

Can I have Saturdays lottery numbers please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

there could be another thread created for all the talk of lucas/kuyt being great/sh!t.

Tis a new thread now though, so i may i be so bold as to suggest we move onto other topics/arguments.

1. I would prefer to keep Xabi, however both player and manager want him to move. I've come to accept it and I'm not angry about it anymore.

2. Lucas leaving makes me happy.

3. Our title bid doesn't depend on Lucas staying.

4. If we adequately replace Alonso we will win the league.

5. You should be a little more optimistic.

talking-out-your-butt.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Alonso is the new Barry, and Lucas is the new Keane it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Poor Lucas don't know what he would have to do to please some people. I think he is improving all the time has to stop fouling so much but he is still learning expect him to play a big part this year.
    Wouldn't mind signing David bently from spurs wouldn't cost too much and I'm sure torres would benefit from his passing. He would give you more options like below

Torres. Kuyt.
    Yossi. Mash. Gerrard Bentley

this would be ideal for playing against teams who come for a nil nil

Please never mention Bentley going to Liverpool again.

He is a poor poor player. A friend of mine is a season ticket holder at Spurs and says Bentley spent most of his time fixing his hair whilst on the pitch.

We can't lose Lucas, he will be important for us this season.

Masheranos agent needs a serious kicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Bentley is rubbish. No way will we be signing him. I'd say he might end up back at Blackburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The amount of fairweather fans on here is amazing.

The same people who complained Kuyt was rubbish and needed replacing are the same people who wanted Gerrard played in the centre, who wanted Rafa sacked, who think Voronin and Lucas have nothing to offer and who think we should buy David Bentley.

Take your head out of the tabloids, your arse off the barstool and form your own opinion based on watching the team, don't regurgitate third-hand opinions as gospel.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Are you trying to tell me that you think Lucas can become a Liverpool Legend ?

Really ?

What about N'Gog ?

Plessis ?

Voronin ?

so now Plessis and N'Gog have no potential to be great?

copacetic wrote: »
    so now Plessis and N'Gog have no potential to be great?

No, unless they're first team regulars at 18 young players should be shown the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Ronnie Whelan got stick from a section of supporters in his early days. I'm not saying Lucas is going to be another Ronnie Whelan, but its far too soon to be writing him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The amount of fairweather fans on here is amazing.

The same people who complained Kuyt was rubbish and needed replacing are the same people who wanted Gerrard played in the centre, who wanted Rafa sacked, who think Voronin and Lucas have nothing to offer and who think we should buy David Bentley.

Take your head out of the tabloids, your arse off the barstool and form your own opinion based on watching the team, don't regurgitate third-hand opinions as gospel.

Why get so tetchy when criticism is meted out? Its the fairweather fans who don't rate Lucas and the real fans who think he's good? The ones who criticise players regurgitate other people's opinions, but the ones who think no Liverpool player should be criticised form their own opinions based on watching the games??

Lucas is a player on the edge. Its a valid opinion to think he'll never be good enough for a regular midfield place in a title challenging team. Its also a valid opinion to think he will come good. I think its pretty close to a 50/50 split among Liverpool fans as to which side they are on. But nobody knows for sure, its just an opinion - we are all entitled to. No need for slagging off others who hold the opposite opinion to you or bringing the high and mighty attitude of I'm much better than you because I think all our players are great.

Do we at least all agree that Degen is steaming pile of horse dung ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

22 isn't young for a footballer these days, 17/18 is. At this stage if you haven't established yourself in the first XI of a top club you'll probably never manage it.

This seems to be the crux of the problem between the 2 camps at the moment. That statement is completely wrong. The likes of Aguero and Messi are still very much the exception. The rule, particularly at top clubs, is players like Darron Gibson, Anderson and Lucas at 21, 21 and 22 respectively. All with bright futures but a lot of developing to do in the meantime. Just because some wunderkids have come about has not changed the fact that peak for a footballer is between 27 and 30.

To write off a player at that age, particularly one who is very obviously showing the development which these 3 are, is nothing short of idiocy.

Lucas is a player on the edge. Its a valid opinion to think he'll never be good enough for a regular midfield place in a title challenging team. Its also a valid opinion to think he will come good. I think its pretty close to a 50/50 split among Liverpool fans as to which side they are on. But nobody knows for sure, its just an opinion - we are all entitled to. No need for slagging off others who hold the opposite opinion to you or bringing the high and mighty attitude of I'm much better than you because I think all our players are great.
    If you or anyone think he’s not good enough to be a regular for a title-challenging team, then fine. I personally think he will be in the future, and he’s definitely good enough now to be a squad player at such a club. Sure, didn’t we challenge last season with him playing plenty of games.
    What I don’t accept is the rubbish posted about him like “he’s the worst ever Brazilian,” or saying we should get rid of him now (with no regard to the damage that will do our squad).
    I don’t think all our players are great, far from it, but it’s true that Liverpool fans don’t rate Liverpool players (Kuyt was a good example) simply because they don’t quite fit into what they’re told a good player should be – eg: winger’s should be fast and skillful. Kuyt is not. So regardless of how productive he is, he’ll never be truly accepted as a fantastic player by many fans. Lucas had silly hair, made some stupid tackles last season at bad times and was made a scapegoat for all our woes. I guarantee you he’ll never change some minds, regardless of what he does in the future.
    The same people who call for his head probably want Babel in the team, because he ticks some boxes for a wide player. But I know who I’d trust more in our team.

Do we at least all agree that Degen is steaming pile of horse dung ;)

Yeah, he looks crap, but let’s not delight in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Why get so tetchy when criticism is meted out? Its the fairweather fans who don't rate Lucas and the real fans who think he's good? The ones who criticise players regurgitate other people's opinions, but the ones who think no Liverpool player should be criticised form their own opinions based on watching the games??

You miss my point.

We don't know if Lucas will become great. I agree. He's had good games and bad games, and he's still developing. It is 50/50, as you say.

So, we can't really say he'll become great. Equally, we can't write him off completely, which is what I've found on this thread. I'm not saying everybody should enthuse about every player. However, it is equally ridiculous to write players off. There needs to be a sense of balance, of reality.

No player should be given a free pass. If Carra, Gerrard or Torres has a bad game, nobody wants it to be ignored. However, the converse is also true. If Voronin, Dossena or Lucas have a good game, credit should be given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This seems to be the crux of the problem between the 2 camps at the moment. That statement is completely wrong. The likes of Aguero and Messi are still very much the exception. The rule, particularly at top clubs, is players like Darron Gibson, Anderson and Lucas at 21, 21 and 22 respectively. All with bright futures but a lot of developing to do in the meantime. Just because some wunderkids have come about has not changed the fact that peak for a footballer is between 27 and 30.

To write off a player at that age, particularly one who is very obviously showing the development which these 3 are, is nothing short of idiocy.

Well put.

I think a lot of people are getting blinded by superstars like Rooney, Messi, Aguero, who burst on to the scene as amazing talents at young ages.

Not every player will develop in that way, some will take longer to mature and they should be given that chance. Lucas is a player with potential, but he does have a long way to go before he should be considered automatic first choice. Also, not being a player like Messi, or an automatic first choice player does not make you a bad player.

Two examples would be Carragher and Fletcher. Carragher couldn't hold down a cerntral spot at Liverpool for years - it was only really from 2005, when Rafa gave him the chance at CB and stuck by him that he became the player many people regard as one of the best CB's in the league, that was at the age of 26 (i think).

Fletcher, for United, is not a world class player, but last season he was one of our most important players - the energy, determination and work rate, along with his positioning, tackling and intelligent passing made him a vital part of how our team functioned. I had been one of his biggest critics up to the season before last, but since then he has stepped up his level and I have appreciated what he has brought to United. Not a world class player, but a player United have stood by and allowed to mature into a very competent and important player in our squad.

Not every player is world class by the age of 20, not every player is even good at that stage. Some develop and mature a lot slower, and if a manager is sticking by them, they must see something. Particularly in Lucas' case - given that Rafa has shown no fear in cutting his losses early on a player he doesn't feel is good enough or fitting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Some develop and mature a lot slower, and if a manager is sticking by them, they must see something. Particularly in Lucas' case - given that Rafa has shown no fear in cutting his losses early on a player he doesn't feel is good enough or fitting in.
    Good point - Rafa seems to have no time for sentimentality in his management. If Lucas was as bad as has been made out, he'd have been out the door with "…Josemi, Palletta, Kromkamp, Pellegrino, Pennant, Nunez, Zenden, Gonzalez…" by now.

Most of whom cost bugger all and performed roles that were badly needed at the time, by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

PiE wrote: »
    Good point - Rafa seems to have no time for sentimentality in his management. If Lucas was as bad as has been made out, he'd have been out the door with "…Josemi, Palletta, Kromkamp, Pellegrino, Pennant, Nunez, Zenden, Gonzalez…" by now.

Most of whom cost bugger all and performed roles that were badly needed at the time, by the way.

I would hardly say Nunez, Pellegrino or Kromkamp performed roles that were badly needed. Those 3 were particularly crap, and only played when we were stuck.

Pennant, Zenden & Gonzales(to an extent) actually commanded pretty regular places in the squad (unfortunately). And to be honest, I never really understood the stick that Pennant got tbh. He was good at getting down the line, and was a very decent crosser of the ball, which was taken advantage of by Crouch, among others. Sure, he's not gonna set the world alight, but he definitely did a job, and we would have been a lot worse off without him IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lucas
    For those complaining about Lucas not good enough to be in a title winning squad

04-05 + 05-06 : Chelsea - Tiago Mendes, Kežman, Smertin, Jarosik, Geremi, Maniche, Ferreira, Huth
    United (last 3 years) - Richardson, Fletcher, Nani, Anderson, Park

Now I'm not saying those players are crap, but you need squad players who can play the 15-25 league games a year, doesn't seem to have affected teams who've won the last 5 league titles.

Lucas in his first season played 18 league (32 total), and last season 23 league(37 total).

Like any talented young player, the two main obstacles are confidence and consistency - the way he's played for the last 2 years he has grown in both, I expect good things from him this season, if not - we know how ruthless Rafa is.

Alonso
    A real dilemma, obviously has a lot of admirers because he has more technical ability that any other player in the squad - a player who really dictates the pace of the game for Liverpool. And therein lies the problem - if Liverpool are to win the title, I think we need to replace Xabi - too often if he's cut out then we're ineffective. Or when he's not strong enough going forward - we play with 4 attacking players and against more defensive teams - a 5th attacking player who can chip in with 10 goals a season is a must.

That's how United win titles, players like Scholes & Giggs adding in 10 goals a year.

I'd liken Alonso to Riquelme in that a lot of play goes through him, mainly because our defence were poor at distribution, but also because he's a great passer.

We don't need to DMF's afraid to cross the half way line, we need to counter better and stronger - these are Xabi's weaker points.

But with players like Johnson, Skretel, Agger and most importantly Javier Masch - the need for everything to go through Xabi is lessened - what's needed is someone who can drive forward more and get involved with the attack. Someone who can receive the ball in the opponents half and not 10 yards outside our box.

Last summer I thought Barry would be a good fit for that central role, this summer the prospect of getting £30m for Alonso and using that to bring in a more attacking midfielder and possibly another attacking player is a good option.

This is why it's key to keeping Lucas, someone who has already played half the league games each season, someone who is growing in confidence and is adding consistency, and someone who's an attacking midfielder.

Will all of this win the title? Who knows, but I think losing Alsono is going to give us a better chance.

Sad to see him go, he's my favourite player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

zAbbo wrote: »
    That's how United win titles, players like Scholes & Giggs adding in 10 goals a year.

This is why it's key to keeping Lucas, someone who has already played half the league games each season, someone who is growing in confidence and is adding consistency, and someone who's an attacking midfielder.

An attacking midfielder who doesnt score though

• Advertisement

and only played when we were stuck.
    Right... so they were backup players. Is that not a role? A very important role I'd have said. Maybe the difference between finishing 4th and 5th.
    Alonso
    A real dilemma, obviously has a lot of admirers because he has more technical ability that any other player in the squad - a player who really dictates the pace of the game for Liverpool. And therein lies the problem - if Liverpool are to win the title, I think we need to replace Xabi - too often if he's cut out then we're ineffective. Or when he's not strong enough going forward - we play with 4 attacking players and against more defensive teams - a 5th attacking player who can chip in with 10 goals a season is a must.

I'd liken Alonso to Riquelme in that a lot of play goes through him, mainly because our defence were poor at distribution, but also because he's a great passer.

We don't need to DMF's afraid to cross the half way line, we need to counter better and stronger - these are Xabi's weaker points.

But with players like Johnson, Skretel, Agger and most importantly Javier Masch - the need for everything to go through Xabi is lessened - what's needed is someone who can drive forward more and get involved with the attack. Someone who can receive the ball in the opponents half and not 10 yards outside our box.

Last summer I thought Barry would be a good fit for that central role, this summer the prospect of getting £30m for Alonso and using that to bring in a more attacking midfielder and possibly another attacking player is a good option.

Will all of this win the title? Who knows, but I think losing Alsono is going to give us a better chance.

What the hell? An objective view on Alonso? Get out!

Lucas
    Alonso

All of what you stated above, is what I've always though of Alonso's greatest downfall. As lovely a footballer he is, he wasn;t really that effective going forward - especially given the fact that he had Masch behind, so had more than enough opportunities to try force the issue.

This is why, IMO, Aquilani will suit perfectly. Hes a CM, he's a good passer, has good vision, but he actually ATTACKS too, and can strike a ball really well. I really think, he may not have the awareness of Alonso, or the technical ability passing, but, going forward he seems a much better bet than Alonso. Provided he's strong enough for the Premiership - I think he'd make a great replacement, and give us that little something extra that we've been lacking.

Just my opinion, but I'd love to see him come to Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This might be a bit topical in here at the minute...

Lucas - Samba King or Merseyside Misery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I have been arguing this for some time - Alonso doesn't give enough assists or score enough goals. That would be fine if he was in Masc's position, but he ain't. We need one of them to play the more attacking role, and one the defensive, and Masc is better at the defensive.

Don't know that much about Aquilani, but given he will take time to settle, I would expect to see a bit of Lucas, and Stevie in there with Voronin or Babel up top...

Things i agree with in that article!!!

he gives away far too many unnecessary free kicks.

He loses possession more than a central midfielder should

His shooting is wayward and needs a lot of work, and we have not seen nearly enough of his ability to beat players on the ball.

Things i agree with in that article!!!

he gives away far too many unnecessary free kicks.

He loses possession more than a central midfielder should

His shooting is wayward and needs a lot of work, and we have not seen nearly enough of his ability to beat players on the ball.

I think you'll find his passing stats won't really back up the view that he gives the ball away too much.
    If anything he needs to be more aggressive in his passing and risk giving the ball away more.

He's not in the team to beat players with the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

An attacking midfielder who doesnt score though

he's not really an attacking midfielder, more a box to box player.

And the only game where he's played as an attacking midfielder was against Chelsea. And he scored.

I think you'll find his passing stats won't really back up the view that he gives the ball away too much.
    If anything he needs to be more aggressive in his passing and risk giving the ball away more.

He's not in the team to beat players with the ball.

If you want him to be an attacking midfielder then he'd have to.

If you want him to be an attacking midfielder then he'd have to.

Not every attacking player has to be a brilliant dribbler. He won’t be playing as an AM like Kaka, Gerrard or Zidane. He’ll be, at most, a box-to-box midfielder. His game is never going to be based around beating players, but around passing and movement – two things he’s good, and getting better all the time at.
    Yes, he’ll need to score more, but it won’t take much for him to beat Alonso in that regard. He’s very good in the air so should threaten more from corners and free-kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lucas is hardly a defensive brute either though, is he? He also has, by my count, 2 goals for Liverpool ever. So not a goalscorer as people here agree. Gerrard's passing stats aren't always stellar but he has more to his game (obviously).

I often wonder what Rafa had in mind when he purchased him, bought him and Leto in the same couple of weeks. Leto turned out to be a massive error in judgement whatever way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

noodler wrote: »
    Leto turned out to be a massive error in judgement whatever way you look at it.

Bought for £1.8m sold for over £3m?

• Advertisement

So basically, we know we have Lucas as a squad player - there to do a job. We just don't know what that job is yet, or whether he's capable of doing it.

Ok. Got it.

On the AM side of things, we really haven't had anyone in that role since Gerrard moved up top (and yes, I know he wasn't an out and out AM, as he tracked back too, box to box).

I think it may be something that we've been missing, and something, that maybe Alonso moving could prove to be a blessing in disguise.

Its funny to think though, that we scored more goals than anyone else last year, yet we're complaining of midfielders not scoring enough lol

Has to be taken in context. We could hammer a few teams 10 nil, but its the silly draws where we needed that extra something from midfield - that Alonso couldn't provide.

I just want this transfer saga over and done with, so we know where we stand come Spurs.

8-10 wrote: »
    Bought for £1.8m sold for over £3m?

Whoops. Now why did I have it in my head he cost a similar amount to Lucas?

I was sure I saw it on that SSN transfers in bar a million times that summer.

Ah well, corrected I stand.

I think it may be something that we've been missing, and something, that maybe Alonso moving could prove to be a blessing in disguise.

Its funny to think though, that we scored more goals than anyone else last year, yet we're complaining of midfielders not scoring enough lol

Has to be taken in context. We could hammer a few teams 10 nil, but its the silly draws where we needed that extra something from midfield - that Alonso couldn't provide.

Its a bit like someone breaking up with you so you tell them you were gonna dump them anyway, is that.

Its a bit like someone breaking up with you so you tell them you were gonna dump them anyway, is that.

??

Not really. Its a bit like breaking up with someone after you realise the relationship has broken down over the past while, then discovering someone you don't know that well, but who's stunningly good looking, that you've fancied for a while anyway, wants to shack up with you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lucas is hardly a defensive brute either though, is he? He also has, by my count, 2 goals for Liverpool ever. So not a goalscorer as people here agree. Gerrard's passing stats aren't always stellar but he has more to his game (obviously).

I often wonder what Rafa had in mind when he purchased him, bought him and Leto in the same couple of weeks. Leto turned out to be a massive error in judgement whatever way you look at it.

Leto couldn't get a visa, we dunno how that would have worked out.
    Lucas has scored 4 goals to be factual, one each in the cups and league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote: »
    Leto couldn't get a visa, we dunno how that would have worked out

I am starting to think that some people on this forum can't actually be reasoned with. Not only that, but they don't seem to be a fan of doing any sort of research in order to establish the facts before making broad sweeping statements.. To make it worse, no matter how many times it happens, you still have someone else coming in a daily basis and making identical mistakes.

I am starting to think that some people on this forum can't actually be reasoned with. Not only that, but they don't seem to be a fan of doing any sort of research in order to establish the facts before making broad sweeping statements.. To make it worse, no matter how many times it happens, you still have someone else coming in a daily basis and making identical mistakes.
    Hopefully the new rules will help, wouldn't bet on it though; this thread alone needs its own access-approval system ;x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

personally, i think lucas is dreamy.

1905181.jpg

His new wife is a bit of alright.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The Daily Mail, I know.. but:
    Real Madrid are threatening to walk away from negotiations to sign Xabi Alonso if Liverpool do not drop their £30million asking price today.

The Reds' managing director Christian Purslow entered talks in Barcelona on Sunday demanding £30m up front for their 27-year-old with a further £4m in performance-related add-ons.

But although preliminary contacts had suggested a compromise was close, the Madrid director conducting negotiations, Jose Angel Sanchez, has only been sanctioned to offer £23m, rising to £25.5m with add-ons.

Liverpool are said to have been only prepared to lower their demands by £2m, seen by insiders at the Spanish giants as ridiculous.

Bernabeu president Florentino Perez will not deal at this level and had expected the price to fall following Alonso's decision to hand in a transfer request.

The Spain midfielder is understood to have already agreed in principle a hefty after-tax salary of £80,000 a week on a four-year deal with Madrid.

Sources in Spain suggest Alonso's agent Inaki Ibanez is also seeking £4.25m from the deal, which provides another barrier to the deal.

Madrid are ready to turn to Standard Liege's Steven Defour as an alternative. Coincidentally, Liverpool have also tracked the 21-year-old Belgium international as a potential replacement for Alonso.

Spanish newspaper Marca - seen as being close to Reak Madrid - revealed the club's interest in Defour on Monday and today picture the player holding a copy of the newspaper under the headline: 'I can be just as good as Xabi Alonso.'

With interest from Defour also coming from Everton, Aston Villa and Arsenal, Liege are trying to put the pressure on for an £18m deal to be done quickly.

That in turn increases the pressure on a resolution in Alonso talks and Madrid are believe it is time to walk away from the table if there is no progress today.

Also I see Guillem Ballague now saying United are inquiring about David Silva..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement