Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The lack of disclosure is common enough these days, I'm betting that Real paid more than they wanted and Liverpool didn't get all they wanted.

I hope he and Ronaldo have a dreadful season together :( Or that we thrash em in the CL again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

mike65 wrote: »
    I suppose he could break an ankle when he climbs on the treatment room trolley....or slip in the shower

So we get no money and a broken player? Great plan...

At least it is settled now, we can get on with replacing him and move on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I prefer to think of it as Real said okay we'll pay up as long as you dont say we did and Liverpool just said sure suits us we can go for a replacement and not be held to ransom casue they know we've got 30M to find a adequate replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

I'm so sad Alonso has left :(.

Maybe Lucas can step up this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

last big player to leave even though we didnt want it was Owen and we went on to win the CL, hopefully something similiar will happen and the PL may come. Here's looking for the silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

no more xabi beard!!!
    1238071597_0.jpg

Absolutely gutting news... We need at least 1 replacement...

Lucas is going to be a big player for us this year lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I reacted just as I had expected I would, saddened.

Gutted.

Best of luck of Alonso!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Crap, Im gonna miss him. Thanks for the memories Xabi. Penalty in the CL '05 final will always stay with a lot of us here on the LFC thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

tok9 wrote: »
    no more xabi beard!!!

I know. And it really suits me too.

I'm very apprehensive about this year now...its such **** timing that Alonso decided to up and leave.

Bye Xabi, you were my favourite liverpool player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

el rabitos wrote: »
    the last bit smells a bit like, real didn't give us the 30 million and we backed down so lets keep it on the hush. hopefully i'm just being a pessimist.

Liverpool never, ever release the fee.

It's the way we work.

• Advertisement

Sickened I've just wrote that. :(http://bit.ly/2XUTnm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Favourite Xabi moment/match?

For me I think it was his performance against Luton in the FA Cup in 2006 I think it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

liverpool are much weaker now than at the end of last season and people were saying liverpools squad strength didn't come close to man utd or chelsea then, gone are hyypia, Arbeloa and alonso just one guy in and i have my doubts about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Xabi smashing in that goal in Istanbul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTRVjbCilg

rossie1977 wrote: »
    liverpool are much weaker now than at the end of last season and people were saying liverpools squad strength didn't come close to man utd or chelsea then, gone are hyypia, Arbeloa and alonso just one guy in and i have my doubts about him

Damn, and here I was thinking the transfer window was still open.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Sickened I've just wrote that. :(http://bit.ly/2XUTnm

Bit of a typo/mistake in the article, it says Xabi scored a brace in Istanbul. Just giving the heads up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    liverpool_450x300.jpg

Thanks Xabi, and best of luck. What a player. :(

That looks incredibly like Gerrard with the jaw clenched.

noodler wrote: »
    That looks incredibly like Gerrard with the jaw clenched.

It looks incredibally constipated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

the last bit smells a bit like, real didn't give us the 30 million and we backed down so lets keep it on the hush. hopefully i'm just being a pessimist.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0804/alonsox.html

RTE seem to think it is 30 but we'll see...

• Advertisement

From Guardian
    But although Liverpool will not reveal the details of the deal, privately sources were maintaining that manager Rafael Benítez had got his own way over the fee. It is believed that Madrid made another attempt to end the deadlock today with an offer of £30m that will rise to £34m depending on Alonso's success over the first two years of what is believed to be a five-year contract/

/With the Alonso deal, Real Madrid will have spent around £220m in two months on Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Raul Albiol, Esteban Granero, Arbeloa, Alvaro Negredo and Karim Benzema.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Rumour mill has it that Liverpool rep's are in talks with Villa and Silva over in Manchester.

Madrid wanted to pay 30m euros and Liverpool wanted 30m sterling,they have obviously met somewhere in the middle.

I would imagine something like 33m euro,which is 28m sterling.

Poulsen is ****e aswell,woudnt want him.

So is it definately aquilani who's coming. Big shoes to fill mate!!

Steven Defour has been linked with us too

Rumour mill has it that Liverpool rep's are in talks with Villa and Silva over in Manchester.

Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

RasTa wrote: »

Pfft. Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Livertweet is back :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi lads

Arsenal fan here. Huge loss for Liverpool with the imminent sale of Alonso to Real. I think Liverpool's owners are very interested in the 30 mill rather than the loss of a player. You are very much in debt and a lot of that money will not be re-invested in players. Heard you've been linked with Aquilani.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some of the comments being read on ssn are just full of lol.

I won't believe any rumours about anyone until I hear something from Rafa or the club officially on it.

I'm glad you know so much more than we do. We need your insight to understand Liverpool Fc.

Thankyou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DenMan wrote: »
    I think Liverpool's owners are very interested in the 30 mill rather than the loss of a player. .

Are you basing this on anything or just something you came up with yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

God damnit!

Hope we draw the "Galacticos" once again, and once again play them off the field...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm gutted, but it is only right that respect is paid to xabi, who has served the club well during the 5 years he's been here. he had to put up with trying to be replaced last year. he came out this past season and showed what a truly wonderful player he is.

my lasting memory of xabi in the red of Liverpool is this...

xabi-alonso-saved-our-ass-a.jpg

once again, i'm gutted, but thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Are you basing this on anything or just something you came up with yourself?

Liverpool had to to re-negiotate their debt with the Royal Bank of Scotland during the week. It was reported that it cost them a lot of money in interest rates and one of the stipulations was that 60 mill had to be paid back immediately.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8170699.stm

oh you've done it now denman.

run. run while you still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Well put.

I think a lot of people are getting blinded by superstars like Rooney, Messi, Aguero, who burst on to the scene as amazing talents at young ages.

Not every player will develop in that way, some will take longer to mature and they should be given that chance. Lucas is a player with potential, but he does have a long way to go before he should be considered automatic first choice. Also, not being a player like Messi, or an automatic first choice player does not make you a bad player.

Two examples would be Carragher and Fletcher. Carragher couldn't hold down a cerntral spot at Liverpool for years - it was only really from 2005, when Rafa gave him the chance at CB and stuck by him that he became the player many people regard as one of the best CB's in the league, that was at the age of 26 (i think).

Fletcher, for United, is not a world class player, but last season he was one of our most important players - the energy, determination and work rate, along with his positioning, tackling and intelligent passing made him a vital part of how our team functioned. I had been one of his biggest critics up to the season before last, but since then he has stepped up his level and I have appreciated what he has brought to United. Not a world class player, but a player United have stood by and allowed to mature into a very competent and important player in our squad.

Not every player is world class by the age of 20, not every player is even good at that stage. Some develop and mature a lot slower, and if a manager is sticking by them, they must see something. Particularly in Lucas' case - given that Rafa has shown no fear in cutting his losses early on a player he doesn't feel is good enough or fitting in.

Carragher couldn't hold down a central spot ... so what ?

He's been a regular for this team for more than decade all across the backline because he is and always has been a bloody good player.

He currently stands at ninth in the all time list of LFC appearances. That's not by accident.

The "he was rubbish for years" story is an awful myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Liverpool had to to re-negiotate their debt with the Royal Bank of Scotland during the week. It was reported that it cost them a lot of money in interest rates and one of the stipulations was that 60 mill had to be paid back immediately.

Interesting
    Would explain why they are going after poulson since he moved to juve for only 9m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Clears throat .

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Carragher couldn't hold down a central spot ... so what ?

He's been a regular for this team for more than decade all across the backline because he is and always has been a bloody good player.

He currently stands at ninth in the all time list of LFC appearances. That's not by accident.

Unbelievable. He didn't call anyone rubbish.

You are reading far too much into what has actually been written.

• Advertisement

Or we bent Real over and they don't want the world to know.

Or we don't want other clubs knowing what we've got to spend.

nobody said he was ever rubbish.

but he did only nail down his preferred centre back spot once rafa came, which is true.

very few players under the age of 22, in the grand scheme of things, are ready to be an established central figure in a top, top team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So you are saying that you believe that the club will swallow up a large chunk of that transfer fee and leave very little to sign a player with?

Only time will tell I suppose..

SlickRic wrote: »
    nobody said he was ever rubbish.

but he did only nail down his preferred centre back spot once rafa came, which is true.

very few players under the age of 22, in the grand scheme of things, are ready to be an established central figure in a top, top team.

The best ones are.

Like Alonso, Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano and Carragher .... to name but a few.

So you are saying that you believe that the club will swallow up a large chunk of that transfer fee and leave very little to sign a player with?

Only time will tell I suppose..

Nah I'll tell.

The gooner is wrong. Just because it happened at United doesn't mean it'll happen here.

We'll spend, very quickly I'd imagine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Gutted Xabi is gone. Loved watching him play and by far the most intelligent footballer we have.

Really hope rafas "we can sign one more player if we want without selling anyone" money is still their and he can combine it with the 30 million from this deal.

Not that gone on Aquillani but again I havent seen him week in week out. Montilivo of Fiorentina seems another decent midfielder but again havent seen much of him.

For quality for quality I would love to see Villa come in but splitting GnT up wouldnt be a great choice.

I dunno really im a bit sad at the minute to think who we can get in. I just hope we get some top quality player(s) in.

Does anyone think we might sign two midfielders ?

The best ones are.

Like Alonso, Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano and Carragher .... to name but a few.

key statement.

once again, carragher was not central until he was 25/26.

alonso joined liverpool at 23 years old.

mascherano was 23 by the time he became anything close to the absolute beast he is now.

gerrard and torres are exceptions, and even gerrard only made his position in the team iron-clad at 21.

Silva....maybe.
    Villa....I wish!

Mata.....I wouldn't say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Aquillani in at 20m and Poulson in at 8m with Lucas out at 6m and Alonso out at 30m could be on the cards if the Lucas rumours are true...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement