Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Louis Saha's wages were cinsiderbaly cut when he was injured for the long-term before he went to Everton wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

is hargreaves out till december now??
    i thought it was october.. so frustrating
    if he's out till december he's not going to feature really next season coming back from such a long time off he's gonna keep picking up those stupid niggly injuries players always get when they come back...

do people think hargreaves could be done altogether? they seem to be very quite about him not much updates and when there is an update it always seems to be bad news. i'm starting to get worried:(..
    maybe i'm just overreacting cause i'm sick in bed and bored...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Boggles wrote: »

The one that got away was Diego but he was courted since Christmas by Juve.

Christmas 2 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Harpy wrote: »
    is hargreaves out till december now??
    i thought it was october.. so frustrating
    if he's out till december he's not going to feature really next season coming back from such a long time off he's gonna keep picking up those stupid niggly injuries players always get when they come back...

do people think hargreaves could be done altogether? they seem to be very quite about him not much updates and when there is an update it always seems to be bad news. i'm starting to get worried:(..
    maybe i'm just overreacting cause i'm sick in bed and bored...

There has been nothing said on Owen Hargreaves.

December was when someone thought he was due back i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    There has been nothing said on Owen Hargreaves.

December was when someone thought he was due back i think.

i only saw the headline on yahoo a few days ago "hargreaves come back delayed" thats all i saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

mink_man wrote: »
    i only saw the headline on yahoo a few days ago "hargreaves come back delayed" thats all i saw

Ahh ****, can you find a link?

by the way, i think it is ****ING FANTASTIC your a google user! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I think this is probably where the Hargreaves story came from.
    Owen Hargreaves could be out for almost half the season after he suffered a setback in his rehabilitation process.

The Canadian-born midfielder had to undergo surgery on both knees to cure a tendinitis problem last September but was expected to make a return to training with his team-mates in Munich, where Manchester United will compete in the Audi Cup.

According to The Mirror, there has been a complication concerning his recovery. Apparently, this has forced the 28-year-old to remain in Colorado, USA, under the care of the renowned knee surgeon Dr. Richard Steadman.

Sir Alex Ferguson had earlier said, "[A] conservative estimate [for Hargreaves’ return] would be September."

However, there are doubts if the player will make a first-team comeback before Christmas, while there are lingering fears that the player may never make a full recovery.

"Hargreaves won't be playing because he's still recuperating in America,” said the Scot before the Red Devils’ opening Audi Cup encounter against Boca Juniors.

"We hoped he'd be joining us here but we can't rush him. He's had a major operation on both knees and that's a serious business. He won't be rushed back and he's young enough for us not to need to do that."

Hargreaves joined the red half of Manchester in 2007 from Bayern Munich for a fee of around €19.5 million. He has made only 25 league appearances in the red jersey so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anyone know what number Valencia is getting or what he was wearing against Valencia(the team!!)? On the United website he is down as 25 but so is Simpson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

s_carnage wrote: »
    Anyone know what number Valencia is getting or what he was wearing against Valencia(the team!!)? On the United website he is down as 25 but so is Simpson.

he has worn 25 in all his appearances so far - so i would imagine it is his number.

Anyone else thinking one reason we may not be signing Silva is cause we'll probably have Ljajic arriving in January? I know it would be too much to expect Ljajic to have an impact this season, but maybe next season - and that could be Fergie's thinking. He seems to play a similar game to Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

It will be interesting to see Ljajic play. He is supposed to be the better of the two (Tosic being the other) players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Anyone else thinking one reason we may not be signing Silva is cause we'll probably have Ljajic arriving in January? .

Possibly.

On the other hand, we already have 6 wingers including Ljajic and 4 strikers. Where are you going put Silva?

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Possibly.

On the other hand, we already have 6 wingers including Ljajic and 4 strikers. Where are you going put Silva?

From what I have seen, Ljajic isn't really a winger. He would be like Silva has been, or Nasri and Rosicky have been used - players who can play on the wing, and who have been blooded there, but players who are AMCs at heart. Silva certainly isn't really a winger anymore - he plays centrally off Villa for Valencia.

Both Silva and, imo, Ljajic would probably be players who would deployed in Ronaldo-esque roles. Starting on the wing but with the freedom to roam around and come centrally to use their creativity and passing skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ahh ****, can you find a link?

by the way, i think it is ****ING FANTASTIC your a google user! :P

It's a pitty we don't have more of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mitch I thought you were unsure about Ljajic arriving in jan

Headshot wrote: »
    mitch I thought you were unsure about Ljajic arriving in jan
    I am, but all the reports suggest that he is, so I said probably, not certainly.:pac:

I still think he could have problems getting a work permit in January, unless he gets a senior cap from Serbia before then.

Both Silva and, imo, Ljajic would probably be players who would deployed in Ronaldo-esque roles. Starting on the wing but with the freedom to roam around and come centrally to use their creativity and passing skills.

Exactly my point, he would start on the wing (I don't see Rooney or Berbatov being dropped for him). We already have 6 players to start in those positions.

Does Fergie think its worth paying £30+ million when we already have 4 strikers and 6 players? With 4-4-2, that would be 10 players for 4 starting slots, and in those 10 players, I'm not even counting Welbeck or Diouf.

Its not worth it, unless he decides some of his current crop aren't good enough... which he hasn't done yet.

Exactly my point, he would start on the wing (I don't see Rooney or Berbatov being dropped for him). We already have 6 players to start in those positions.

Does Fergie think its worth paying £30+ million when we already have 4 strikers and 6 players? With 4-4-2, that would be 10 players for 4 starting slots, and in those 10 players, I'm not even counting Welbeck or Diouf.

Its not worth it, unless he decides some of his current crop aren't good enough... which he hasn't done yet.
    So basically that is a quantity over quality argument?

jebus I cant wait to see Ljajic play

looks pretty special I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

going a bit off topic here but is there a good United Supporters Club in Dublin North ?

• Advertisement

So basically that is a quantity over quality argument?

No, its not that argument at all. We have 10 players who can play in those positions. Fergie obviously believes in their quality/potential or they wouldn't be at the club.

Vidic out for 2 weeks: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5477844,00.html :(

ffs

no preseason behind him or anything

No, its not that argument at all. We have 10 players who can play in those positions. Fergie obviously believes in their quality/potential or they wouldn't be at the club.

Vidic out for 2 weeks: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5477844,00.html :(

Doesn't stop any of wishing he would think differently.

Personally, I don't like Park as a winger - he just isn't good enough in the final third in his passing shooting or crossing. Tosic is another I am simply not sure of. I don't think he has the pace or balance required for someone so small. Who are the other wingers? Nani, Valencia and Ljajic are the ones I can think of, if you are including Ljajic as a winger. Who is the 6th, my mind is drawing a blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think Fletcher has a better goal scoring record than Park.

Checking the stats there he played more games last season than the previous 2 combined!

Has he signed a new contract?

Times reporting United are sniffing around Silva and Ribery.

Doesn't take a genius to work out we are lacking top class on the left, although we have plenty potential.

Wonder will Ferguson address it in the next 25 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Personally, I don't like Park as a winger - he just isn't good enough in the final third in his passing shooting or crossing. Tosic is another I am simply not sure of. I don't think he has the pace or balance required for someone so small. Who are the other wingers? Nani, Valencia and Ljajic are the ones I can think of, if you are including Ljajic as a winger. Who is the 6th, my mind is drawing a blank.
    I'd agree with you re Park. For all his endeavour he offers very little creatively and little or no goals.

Aidric wrote: »
    I'd agree with you re Park. For all his endeavour he offers very little creatively and little or no goals.

From what I have seen in preseason. Valencia could be seen as a replacement for Park. In that he offers great running, he tracks back and tackles well, while also being able to go past people and put in great crosses. Whether he can add the goals to his game that Park also lacks remains to be seen, but overall he is a much better version or Park imo.

Also, realised the other day that despite losing Ronaldo, we still have the biggest show boater in the league. Evra loves it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Doesn't stop any of wishing he would think differently.

Obertan?

I'm in 2 mins over getting a left winger. I'd like to give Nani another chance and Tosic a few games but if Nani continues to be crap and Tosic doesn't step up we would be fairly fooked tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I myself am a big fan of Park. I appreciate the fact that he offers little in the way of goal scoring talent but he does have a tendancy to do the dirty work.

I can see Valencia being a starter and offering more creativity but against sides lower down the league or when Ferguson wants to tie up a game or shut a team out Park possibly being the preferred option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd love to see Evra and Valencia play on the same wing at some stage this season. 2 of the best athletes in the league!

I too would like to give our junior left wingers a chance, at this level don't think we can be afforded to, looks like we will have no choice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I would love to see an Evra-Fabio on one wing and Rafael-Valencia on the other wing combination... the 4 little lads just going absolutley gung ho...

Was quite impressed with Owens pace in getting into those goal scoring positions the other night, we know he can finish and will finish so not worried he didnt get on the scoresheet.

Getting extremely excited for the new season, very confident in the new squad to win the prem.However, I have no doubt that Fergie will make a significant bid for a player in the next few weeks, whether its accepted or not is questionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

only1stevo wrote: »
    I would love to see an Evra-Fabio on one wing and Rafael-Valencia on the other wing combination... the 4 little lads just going absolutley gung ho...

Was quite impressed with Owens pace in getting into those goal scoring positions the other night, we know he can finish and will finish so not worried he didnt get on the scoresheet.

Getting extremely excited for the new season, very confident in the new squad to win the prem.However, I have no doubt that Fergie will make a significant bid for a player in the next few weeks, whether its accepted or not is questionable.

That's a recipe for disaster! Both Evra and Fabio can get caught out by a quick winger when they go forward, would leave too much space behind Evra on that wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

That's a recipe for disaster! Both Evra and Fabio can get caught out by a quick winger when they go forward, would leave too much space behind Evra on that wing.

Agreed, I forgot to mention only if we were trouncing a team etc..

john o shea is coming to train in tipperary town on sunday (part of the irish team)

might get him to autograph my man utd commemorative jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

john o shea is coming to train in tipperary town on sunday (part of the irish team)

Im assuming Gibson will be there too?

Get Mcshane to sign it too!

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Im assuming Gibson will be there too?

Get Mcshane to sign it too!

ahh forgot about Gibson,thanks p_larkin

he should be there alright

Mcshane :D

no chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

He's not in the squad for the Community Shield??? :confused:

nicklauski wrote: »
    He's not in the squad for the Community Shield??? :confused:

forgot about the Community Shield

I think he'll be missing that

forgot about the Community Shield

I think he'll be missing that

Who the hell will play in defence in this match then? Bit of a crisis already with all our RB's out and now Vida, will it be Fabio at RB?

Who the hell will play in defence in this match then? Bit of a crisis already with all our RB's out and now Vida, will it be Fabio at RB?

im going to find out is oshea travelling to tipp

ill be back with an answer in a while

im going to find out is oshea travelling to tipp

ill be back with an answer in a while

I hope Fergie pulls out O'shea of the Irish squad tbh. Its just a friendly match and with all the injuries we have we cant afford the risk of another one. We play Sunday and then the following Sunday so **** playing him in a meaningless friendly match for Ireland.

I hope Fergie pulls out O'shea of the Irish squad tbh. Its just a friendly match and with all the injuries we have we cant afford the risk of another one. We play Sunday and then the following Sunday so **** playing him in a meaningless friendly match for Ireland.

screw you :P

I want to meet oshea

the man who has a better strike rate than torres ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

How long is raf out for? SAF didn't mention his injury at the press conf today

Its the biggest farce ever having an international break the wednesday before the League starts, What was wrong with the other two months after the season ended to have this matches!!!
    Hopefully no United players will be involved in any of them, no offence Headshot, if they got injured there would be murder!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

screw you :P

I want to meet oshea

the man who has a better strike rate than torres ;)

Sure there is no comparison Headshot. O'Shea has won 4 PL titles and a CL whereas Torres hasn't won either.

Sure there is no comparison Headshot. O'Shea has won 4 PL titles and a CL whereas Torres hasn't won either.

What is it with United fans liverpool fans and thinking that the above response proves anything?

It's completely retarded.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

he kicks the ball better than Torres

kick kick kick the ball

nicklauski wrote: »
    Its the biggest farce ever having an international break the wednesday before the League starts, What was wrong with the other two months after the season ended to have this matches!!!
    Hopefully no United players will be involved in any of them, no offence Headshot, if they got injured there would be murder!!

Yeah I agree its bloody stupid. I mean, at least with the Scottish match thats a qualifier so by all means Fletch should go play but to have friendlies.

Its not Headshots fault though, no need to kill him if we get an injury!!

How long is raf out for? SAF didn't mention his injury at the press conf today

Yeah weird, he's said who's out and so Rafael wasnt mentioned there so must be fit:

Injuries hit United's defence

Sir Alex Ferguson has multiple defensive selection problems ahead of Sunday's Community Shield clash with Chelsea at Wembley.

Wes Brown (thigh), Nemanja Vidic (calf), Gary Neville (groin) and Edwin van der Sar (hand) are all missing from the squad that travels to London this weekend.

"Everyone is fit apart from Wes, Vidic and Neville," Sir Alex confirmed to the press on Friday.

"Gary has done a bit of training and he is coming along fine, and I expext Wes to be fit for the Birmingham match.

"Vidic has pulled his calf and is another week or two away, while Edwin's injury is a bad one. He's out for 8-10 weeks, of course. So my first selection dilemma for Sunday is in goal. It is not an easy one for me.

"If you look at the games Ben and Tomasz have played, Tomasz has actually had more to do and more saves to make as he did on Wednesday [against Valencia]. So it's a little bit of a dilemma and I'll speak to them both about it."

Sir Alex says the Community Shield is normally the final step in assessing his players' fitness, but this year says his squad is already at a good level and he expects a good performance.

"In the past I've treated the Community Shield as a barometer for fitness and giving players some minutes on the clock. But this year I'm not looking at it like that.

"All the players are at a good level fitness-wise and everyone should be able to give a good account of themselves. And when you play Chelsea, pride comes into it and the players want to win.

Yeah I agree its bloody stupid. I mean, at least with the Scottish match thats a qualifier so by all means Fletch should go play but to have friendlies.

Its not Headshots fault though, no need to kill him if we get an injury!!

poor auld headshot gets the blame for everything

Im just loving Valencia at the moment. Some good mentions for a few of the young uns too

Boss salutes wing wizard

Sir Alex Ferguson singled out Antonio Valencia for special praise, after the Ecuadorian laid on two goals in an impressive home debut.

The summer signing from Wigan Athletic crossed for Wayne Rooney and Tom Cleverley to bag the telling goals against Valencia, and generally caught the eye for his robust, direct approach at both ends of the pitch.

“The important thing for me was Valencia’s performance, I thought he was very, very good,” Sir Alex told MUTV. “He’s got great balance and he’s got power and speed. Coming to our club, he’s immediately taken the challenge well and with purpose, so we’re very pleased with what we’ve seen so far.”

While Valencia’s contribution merited special praise, Sir Alex could also reflect on a string of fine performances as his side deservedly edged an entertaining game. A glut of young talents hinted at a bright future, while the Reds’ forward line created chances with promising regularity.

“It was an opportunity to play a lot of the younger players,” he said. “Tom Cleverley scored, Darron Gibson had two fantastic shots from outside the box – he showed his power tonight, which is pleasing – and Ritchie De Laet and Fabio gave excellent performances.

“I also thought Macheda’s movement in the last third was fantastic. For a 17-year-old, he’s something special. Michael (Owen) showed marvellous movement. He should’ve scored four, but he was unlucky with the first one that he just chipped it over the goalkeeper’s shoulder and by the post. He deserved at least one of them."

• Advertisement

I'd throw De laet in RB to be honest. He had a good game the other night, keep him going.

It's alright Headshot, you know we dont mean it :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement