Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Jackson5.jpg

... At least if we dont win the league this season, we can Blame It On The Boogie!

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Who's that in the top right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anderson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

EVRA---ANDERSON
    VALENCIA--NANI--WELBECK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Jackson5.jpg

... At least if we dont win the league this season, we can Blame It On The Boogie!

Valencia sure knows how to work the camera. :D

• Advertisement

WAYNE ROONEY is planning a goalscoring explosion to justify Sir Alex Ferguson’s decision to make him Manchester United’s main man.

Rooney has been promised a central role up front this season now that Cristiano Ronaldo is no longer at Old Trafford.

The England striker started as he means to go on with an injury-time equaliser in Sunday’s Community Shield shoot-out defeat to Chelsea.

But the 23-year-old aims to justify his new status as the focal point of United’s attack by banging in 25 goals this season.

Rooney said: “It’s a target which I hope I’m going to reach. I’ve always said that I should score more goals and hopefully I’ll do that this season.

“I like to play through the middle and the manager has come out now and said I am going to play there throughout the season so I’m delighted with that. That’s what I wanted.

“I’m not sure whether he will stick to it. He may change his mind and whatever he says goes.

“But I hope he will play me there for most of the season. If I keep scoring goals I will justify it.”

Rooney does not feel any pressure to fill Ronaldo’s boots – despite the Portuguese winger scoring 67 goals
    during his last two seasons with United.

Rooney said: “He was the best player in the world and there were always going to be questions asked when we
    lost him. We’ve signed Michael Owen and Antonio Valencia and we’ll probably play a slightly different style.

“But I have had big expectation on me for the last seven years now.

Whether Cristiano is here or not, I would still have those expectations.

“To be honest, I have never looked at myself being the main man. It’s a team game and about the team, not just me.”

Despite Owen’s arrival at Old Trafford, Rooney looks certain to partner Dimitar Berbatov up front, as he did at Wembley on Sunday.

The pair showed flashes of brilliance together against Chelsea, but Berbatov faded and was replaced by Ryan Giggs for the last 15 minutes.

The Bulgarian upset some United fans last season when his poor penalty in the shoot-out contributed to an FA Cup semi-final defeat to Everton.

But Rooney is backing his strike partner to come good and claims the Bulgarian is a man on a mission this season.

He said: “You can see in training, and in our pre-season games, that he’s looking sharper.

"He's looking more determined, tracking back to help the full-backs.

“A lot of time I get told not to track back and to conserve my energy, stay upfield and save myself for when we are attacking.

“Sometimes when I do track back the manager doesn’t like it.

“But Berbatov is certainly better when he’s full of energy and getting touches of the ball.

"He’s definitely working harder and trying to impress.

He’s a brilliant player. In the first half we played well. In the second half Chelsea came back into the game.

“But there were some good moments going forward and maybe we should have scored more goals.”

Ferguson claims the Premier League will be a two-horse race this season but Rooney reckons it will be a wider contest than that.

He said: “Liverpool had a good season last year, Chelsea will always challenge and with Arsenal you never know, they are unbelievable at times and then at other times they are not quite there.

“I’m sure the same four teams will be the main four again but Manchester City have made a lot of signings so we will have to wait and see what happens there.”

Rooney added: “If we needed more players the manager would have done that but I don’t think we need too many changes.

“We’ve won the league for the last three years and got to the Champions League Final again last season so I don’t think we needed five or six players.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Shamelessy nicked from the same thread on Redcafe:

w6zebt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

w6zebt.jpg

Who's that in top right hand corner?

w6zebt.jpg

Im not a member on Red Cafe :confused: Didnt nick it from there :P

I think i should be though lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cusack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Scholesy you big ginge ya. :pac:

When United lose will Fergie blame it on the boogie?

http://www.football.co.uk/manchester_united/manchester_united_to_make_no_more_signings_this_summer_says_david_gill_rss164917.shtml
    Despite banking £80m by selling Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid two months ago, United have so far spent only £20m on new faces having paid £17m for Wigan midfielder Antonio Valencia and £3m for Bordeaux winger Gabriel Obertan, with Michael Owen arriving on a free transfer.

United manager Ferguson claimed last month that the club had no intention of paying inflated prices in a market dominated by the seemingly limitless funds of Manchester City and Real Madrid.

A move for Lyon forward Karim Benzema, Ferguson's number one summer target, was aborted when Real entry into the race pushed the player's price tag beyond the £35m mark.

And Gill insists that United are happy with their squad after backing Ferguson's stance on the unlikely possibility of further recruitment between now and the closure of the transfer window in 20 days' time.

Gill said: "We're pleased at the moment with the squad we have and a number of young boys are coming through. We have high hopes for Federico Macheda and Danny Welbeck.

"We've also bought in Valencia, Obertan and Mame Diouf from Molde. He will join up with us in January.

"That's where we're at, although it's worth reiterating that people should trust Sir Alex when it comes to what the squad needs. Just because we have a lot of money in the bank, it doesn't mean we have to spend it.

"Do I see things the same as the manager? Very much so. We are not in the market for paying a lot of money for players who are 27, 28 or 29.

"We don't think it's good value. That would be their last contract and at the end of that contract they won't be worth a lot of money, but we're happy to pay significant sums of money for players up to the age of about 25."

Ferguson has admitted that United must alter their style of play following the sale of Ronaldo, who scored 68 goals in his last two seasons at Old Trafford.

United have already been paid the full lump sum of £80m for Ronaldo, contrary to the usual format of fees being paid in instalments over the length of contract, but Gill insists the one-off payment was a key criteria to the deal being struck with Real.

He said: "We insisted on that and we felt it was appropriate, especially given that we didn't want to sell Cristiano he wanted to go. We felt we had a strong negotiating position.

"And given what was going on in the financial world at the time, I much preferred getting the money up front as opposed to worrying about bank guarantees."

I'm disappointed about not getting another CM we're crying out for one but saf must be pretty confident about hargo coming back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Headshot wrote: »
    http://www.football.co.uk/manchester_united/manchester_united_to_make_no_more_signings_this_summer_says_david_gill_rss164917.shtml

I'm disappointed about not getting another CM we're crying out for one but saf must be pretty confident about hargo coming back

Expect a big signing in January should Hargreaves still be struggling. Hopefully its not too late. Is there any possibility the other serbian lad will be playing this season after he arrives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

tomasz_kuszczak.jpg

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

ShaneU wrote: »
    tomasz_kuszczak.jpg
    Hilarious how its easier to put his picture up than to spell his name! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Re.. Rooney interview .

Rooney been played up front and not sacrificed on the wing is music to my ears , Also he may not have been the mainman over the last few season but for me he has always being the talisman for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Ha ha ha those pictures were great. And +1 on the putting up the Pig picture. It is easier alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Fletch thinks we will sacrifice our attack in a bid to play a rigid 4-4-2 this season. Hopefully this isnt the case as our strongest asset is attacking

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_5486042,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

BazBox wrote: »
    Fletch thinks we will sacrifice our attack in a bid to play a rigid 4-4-2 this season. Hopefully this isnt the case as our strongest asset is attacking

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_5486042,00.html

Our strongest asset last season was clearly our defence imo.

Counter attacking football FTW! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Yes, last season the defence were awesome, the 2 seasons before that though our attacking football won us trophies, even Ferguson has said himself that he wants the team to score 100 goals, we cant do that by playing defensively!

Yes, last season the defence were awesome, the 2 seasons before that though our attacking football won us trophies, even Ferguson has said himself that he wants the team to score 100 goals, we cant do that by playing defensively!

we played a rigid 442 in 99 - certainly wasn't defensive. Rigid 442 just means, imo, that we'll have players in proper positions (CMs, Wingers and Strikers) as opposed to free roles, like Rooney and Ronaldo have had, or deep lying forwards like Berbatov was etc.

we played a rigid 442 in 99 - certainly wasn't defensive. Rigid 442 just means, imo, that we'll have players in proper positions (CMs, Wingers and Strikers) as opposed to free roles, like Rooney and Ronaldo have had, or deep lying forwards like Berbatov was etc.

Which will see the wide midfielders getting a lot of crosses into the box ala Beckham and Giggs were that year and hopefully the forwards racking up the goals.
    I think if Rooney & Berba can click this year they could have the same understanding as Cole & Yorke did that year.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yeah that's exactly what I've been thinking.

Formations don't indicate how attacking or defensive a team is, that's the tactics.

I wonder will we play 442 in Europe this season too?

Another thing- is Ferguson calling it 4411 like he always used to? That's a more accurate description imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The season we won the CL we played very defensive in Europe. Remember, the semi against Barca (both legs) and the second half of the final against Chelsea, we were practically playing Catenaccio at that stage.

Imo for the last few seasons we've played defensive in Europe and attacking in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

We're actually not really crying out for another CM. We have plenty to choose from with Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Scholes, Giggs, Gibson and the eventual return of Hargreaves. We're spoilt for choice there imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Lads any news on Evans' injury??? he has pulled out of the NI match tonight (let's hope it's just a fortunately timed two-day knock ;)) That would be a blow with Vida still out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Lads any news on Evans' injury??? he has pulled out of the NI match tonight (let's hope it's just a fortunately timed two-day knock ;)) That would be a blow with Vida still out :(

Northern Ireland reduce Manchester United's defensive issues by sending Jonny Evans back to the club

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1206063/EXCLUSIVE-Northern-Ireland-reduce-Manchester-Uniteds-defensive-problems-sending-Jonny-Evans-club.html
    Nigel Worthington has come to Manchester United's rescue by agreeing to let Jonny Evans return to Old Trafford for treatment, rather than risk aggravating a slight ankle injury against Israel at Windsor Park tonight.
    With Nemanja Vidic already ruled out of Sunday's opening Barclays Premier League game with Birmingham, United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was eager to safeguard Evans' fitness and ensure he was able to continue alongside Rio Ferdinand at the heart of the champions' defence.

Evans has trained with the rest of the Northern Ireland squad ahead of their World Cup warm-up game, but Worthington went along with a request from United and allowed the Belfast youngster to fly back to Manchester this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Archimedes wrote: »
    We're actually not really crying out for another CM. We have plenty to choose from with Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Scholes, Giggs, Gibson and the eventual return of Hargreaves. We're spoilt for choice there imo.
    wat we need is a midfielder who can score 20 goals a season like lampard and gerard

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Are people still calling Gerard a midfielder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

You might have him in that Tosic fella. Scored two in the 3-1 win over South Africa.

You might have him in that Tosic fella. Scored two in the 3-1 win over South Africa.

Please dont encourage Headshot.

fu'cking told ye :P

I see he's divided some utd fans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Nah he hasn't divided opinion, Headshot just has a considerably larger man-crush on him than the rest of us :)

• Advertisement

Boggles has carrick and iv tosic ;)

Ahhhh....I see, I see. How cute.

Nah he hasn't divided opinion, Headshot just has a considerably larger man-crush on him than the rest of us :)

Indeed - Mr Alan has Torres, Headshot has Tosic.

TAKE THAT ALAN!

Mitch had a huge man crush on Dong and he's heart was broken when he left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Are people still calling Gerard a midfielder?
    well he's certainly not a striker , attacking midfielder

• Advertisement

According to a report in the Manchester Evening News, reigning Premier League champions Manchester United are considering making a move for Schalke goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.

The Red Devils are in the market for a new goalkeeper due to the expected retirement of Edwin van der Sar at the end of this campaign. Back-up glovesman Ben Foster has been unable to impress so far whenever called upon.

The 23-year-old Neuer appeared to be on his way to Bayern Munich earlier this summer, but the transfer eventually collapsed due to Schalke's hefty asking price. However, United manager Alex Ferguson appears to be ready to match Schalke's €20 million price-tag.

Ferguson reportedly considers Neuer as the perfect replacement for Van der Sar and would be more than happy to add the German international to his squad with immediate effect in order to give him the chance to adapt to English football before taking over from the Dutchman next term.

we do need a goalie the other 2 just wont cut it

Thats a very gay sentence.

here more about it
    UNITED could be looking to step up their pursuit of another senior goalkeeper with Schalke's Manuel Neuer on the radar.

Ben Foster picked up an injury in the Community Shield against Chelsea last Sunday that forced him to withdraw from the England squad.

While Fabio Capello's party were in Amsterdam for the friendly with Holland tonight, the 26-year-old Reds' keeper was back at Carrington making sure he'd be fit to face Birmingham this Sunday in the Old Trafford opener to the Premier League.

Foster is expected to win his minor battle to open the campaign as Sir Alex Ferguson's number one choice in goal with Edwin Van der Sar KO'd for eight weeks after surgery on a broken finger suffered against Bayern Munich in a pre-season penalty shoot-out.

Van der Sar's misfortune at the start of what is set to be his final season before retiring and now Foster's eve-of-term scare has highlighted the Reds' need for substantial back-up and an extra body when the Dutch veteran quits next summer.

Polish international Tomasz Kuzczak has been given the clear indication that he is third in line behind Van der Sar and Foster when the full senior department is fit and that his English club rival is seen as Fergie's choice as the future number one. Kuszczak might not be keen to hang around for another season after this one even if his patience lasts that long.

It all leaves goalkeeping coach Eric Steele's senior unit vulnerable to injury and explains why United could be mulling over their keeper dossiers despite having Tom Heaton and youngster Ben Amos also up their sleeve.

Special

German sources indicate the Reds have already been monitoring Schalke's highly-rated 23-year-old.

Neuer was wanted by Bayern Munich during the summer but Schalke blocked their Bundesliga rival's interest, though they did say that `crazy money' might force a rethink.

Neuer snubbed Bayern at the end of the season saying: "My current Schalke deal expires in 2012 and I'm planning to stay here at least until then. I'm not considering leaving Gelsenkirchen in order to join Bayern, even though they are a special team for every player."

Bayern later claimed the goalkeeper did want to join them but they backed off from further interest and will go into the new German season with the two keepers' already at the Allianz Arena.

But Neuer is making a big name for himself in Germany.

The 6ft 4ins Gelsenkirchen-born keeper helped Germany win the UEFA Under-21 championships in Sweden during the summer when they beat Stuart Pearce's England side 4-0 in the final.

He was also promoted to the full national squad where he won his first cap on a tour of Asia in June.

In 2007 he was rated the best keeper in the Bundesliga and then in 2008 was ranked the top keeper in the Champions League.

The `crazy' cash that could trigger a sale by Schalke is understood to be around £25m.

United are unlikely to shell out that kind of money for a goalkeeper. But if Schalke were to soften their stance at some point the Reds might be prepared to consider Neuer as a valuable addition to the squad.

Positionally I wouldn't say he plays as an AM when he plays as Torres' partner for Liverpool - he plays as a second striker in those instances, like Rooney does on occasion.

Nani came on for the last 20mins for Portugal tonight; so seems like he'll be available for selection against Brum this weekend.

My crush was clearly on Manucho, the black Pele.:D

Nah - it would probably have been Rossi - first reserve team player to really catch my eye when I got MUTV, was gutted he didn't get a chance at United.:(

Thats a very gay sentence.

lol

missingtime you got a sick mind

Dong Fangzhuo was a superb player for utd,just unlucky not too succeed

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

My crush was clearly on Manucho, the black Pele.:D

Nah - it would probably have been Rossi - first reserve team player to really catch my eye when I got MUTV, was gutted he didn't get a chance at United.:(

My first was Terry Cooke, from the same crop as Beckham, Scholes at al. Sensational debut in a 4-0 win (against Bolton I think), then faded into obscurity.:(

flahavaj wrote: »
    My first was Terry Cooke, from the same crop as Beckham, Scholes at al. Sensational debut in a 4-0 win (against Bolton I think), then faded into obscurity.:(

oh - that lovely backheeled 1-2 followed by a peach of a cross to the outstretched leg of Ryan Giggs. NNNNNNIIIIIICCCCCCCEEEEEEE

Ever play Champ Man back in the day - some United legends that never were:

Bojan Djordjic.
    John Curtis
    Phil Mulryne
    Erik Nevland

All those players were world beaters within a couple of months for United back in the day. Remember Phil Mulryne ripping norwich apart in pre-season one year and the oppo manager saying that if Beckham left we had an even better prospect in Phil. Oh well.

David Heally would be another one - really thought he was gonna make it.

and David Jones recently enough - i'm sure i'd have had posts on here saying he was going to be our captain in the future....

Oh well lads...

Always wondered why he didn't get more first team opportunities. Thought he was class.

Was gutted when Danny Murphy left Liverpool...one of my favourite players.

Most recently Alonso...

/wipes tear from eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

oh - that lovely backheeled 1-2 followed by a peach of a cross to the outstretched leg of Ryan Giggs. NNNNNNIIIIIICCCCCCCEEEEEEE

Ever play Champ Man back in the day - some United legends that never were:

Bojan Djordjic.
    John Curtis
    Phil Mulryne
    Erik Nevland

All those players were world beaters within a couple of months for United back in the day. Remember Phil Mulryne ripping norwich apart in pre-season one year and the oppo manager saying that if Beckham left we had an even better prospect in Phil. Oh well.

David Heally would be another one - really thought he was gonna make it.

and David Jones recently enough - i'm sure i'd have had posts on here saying he was going to be our captain in the future....

Oh well lads...
    Chris Casper, John O Kane, Ben thornley

God be with the days

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement