Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Headshot wrote: »
    Iv seen his reserve games,u21 championship(serbia's best player) and preseason games ,im a fan of tosic and i think in time he's going to be a great player for utd,people tend to forget he isnt hasnt even played in england for a yr,just 8 months

Fair enough, I've only seen his goals from reserves and a few clips on youtube of him playing underage for Serbia, and he does look impressive in some clips. I just don't think he will cut it at premiership level and especially not against the stronger teams.
    I look forward to seeing a bit of Llajic and Diouf in January.

Maybe time will tell with Tosic and I'm perhaps being a bit too hasty in writing him off, but I can only hope that he does prove me wrong ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Tosic looks like a good prospect but so far that's all he is for me. He's looked tidy in the games i've seen him, good crosser, decent touch/shot. I still think he needs to get tougher. But i'm def willing to give him a few seasons to do so. I expect the players that arrive in jan to be at the same stage as Tosic was last year when he signed. Any more than that and it's an added bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anybody know did nani play for portugal yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Positionally I wouldn't say he plays as an AM when he plays as Torres' partner for Liverpool - he plays as a second striker in those instances, like Rooney does on occasion.

Nani came on for the last 20mins for Portugal tonight; so seems like he'll be available for selection against Brum this weekend.
    Anybody know did nani play for portugal yesterday?

if you ever bothered to read the thread rather than spam it.... pah.

if you ever bothered to read the thread rather than spam it.... pah.

Mitch your getting me confused with Boggles ;-)

Mitch your getting me confused with Boggles ;-)

Thats rather harsh on Boggles....

Thats rather harsh on Boggles....

boggles knows im only joking

mitch you having the thursday blues ?

boggles knows im only joking

mitch you having the thursday blues ?

Yep - wish it was friday. could fall asleep at my desk here. ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus Christ these negative sweeping statements about the majority of the United team really get up my hole!!!

My statements weren't sweeping, they were about specific players and a specific part of the team.

And they weren't about the majority of the team either, which imo is absolute class in nearly every position including cover. Just to be clear, imo: Strikers - top class first choice and good enough cover plus great youth. Wings - loads of potential and plenty of numbers. Back four - maybe best in the world plus real quality back ups and some great youth potential. GK - good first choice and now make or break for the under-study.
    Carrick shouldn't be first choice??? Well you know what since he came to the club he has been and he and we have done exceptional, but sure fook it lets drop him and get someone else in, for shíts and giggles!!!
    Since he's come to the club we have also had no regular, quality player on the left wing (or opposite wing to Ronaldo) so does that mean that the likes of Park and Hargreaves and Nani are the reason for our success? No of course not. The reason for our succes was our defence and our strikers and Ronaldo.

I know Carrick is very useful against the lower PL teams who sit back and only defend and beating them is why we win the league. But he doesn't do anything in those games that a quality CM couldn't do just as well plus the rest. Fabregas, Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Essien, Sneider (sp?), L Diarra - to name a few off the top of my head - could all have a similar effect as Carrick on the smaller teams but they are all much better players with more rounded skills that are able to do a proper CM's job of keeping possession and creating when under pressure as well. Carrick can't do this. Imo he should not be first choice at United.
    Fooking hell, this perception that the grass will be greener if we get in a tanned midfielder with an exotic sounding name to flap around the midfield really grinds my gears.

Kleberson - World Cup Winner
    Djema Djema - African Player of the Year
    Veron - Current South American footballer of the year

Carricks baby toe nail has played better for United then those 3. But sure lets get in the next "big thing" to replace a player that waves his hips when he scores!!!
    Yeah sure, the next player we get in could turn out to be the next Djemba, Veron or Kleberson or he could turn out to be the next Cantona, Vidic, Ronaldo or Evra. There is no reward without risk.

And to say that the criticism Carrick gets is because he isn't exotic enough is bollox.
    If it is not broken don't fooking fix it.
    How can you look at the game last Sunday and say that it isn't broken? How can you look at the big games in Europe over the last two seasons - where we have had to play ultra defensive football because we have a CM who can't hold onto possession - and say it's not broken? Yes we've had success but we've been playing like a defensive Italian team. Imo if we got in one quality CM to partner Anderson/Scholes/Giggs in the big games we could start playing like Manchester United again.

We need a replacement for Scholes, Anderson is it. He is just gone 21, a year younger when the ginger one made his breakthrough at United. I'm the biggest critic on here of Anderson but I am willing to give him time because he has the potential.
    I have no problem giving Anderson his chance. It's Carrick/Fetcher I would like to replace in the first team.
    Also there is no one else out there available that is any better than what we have, and no I'm not willing to Spunk the Ronaldo money on Di Rossi.
    I don't really disagree with you there Boggles. At the moment there aren't that many good CMs available that would suit us and di Rossi, even if he is available, might not be worth the risk. I'm not saying that we can get a centre mid but we do need one. Hopefully the team ticks along this season and we have some success (i do think we have a chance in the league) and then next summer somebody will become available. Then we'll have a truly great team imo.

Listen lads I know i've started this argument again by disagreeing with Archimedes (i think it was) last night. We've all argued about it loads of times on here. I don't want to be wreckin yer heads anymore about it. I promise i won't start the argument again in the future. I'll only throw in my tupence worth if everybody else is arguing about it.

eurosport are saying foster and brown are back for the birmingham match

it seems evans is a doubt

• Advertisement

eurosport are saying foster and brown are back for the birmingham match

it seems evans is a doubt
    JOS in at centre back? I think he'd be up to it. Brown at full back since he won't be that sharp maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

YOuTune is a poor judge of outfielders. It has to be even worse than that for 'keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

He looks impressive enough. But then again how many players have looked world class on youtube :D

I dont know if Fergie will dip into the market again, I think it's unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

TonyD79 wrote: »

A couple of those saves make him out to be a bit of a clown keeper who got lucky on the night ... especially the one where he came out with his feet and the ball rebounded off the attackers chest and marginally wide - made a lot of saves with his feet - not sure if that's a good or bad thing?

By all accounts he is superb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

That moment where he comes sliding out with his legs on around 50 seconds is pretty pathetic, should be a bread and butter catch for a keeper really if he goes in with his arms. He looked a bit afraid of getting hurt in that video, which you can't be if you want to make it as a keeper.

I think its a bit early to be giving up on Ben just yet anyway, he has a chance for the next 6 weeks or so to get regular football, if by the end of it he still hasn't found any consistency maybe then it will be time to look else where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The '99 FA Cup semi final with Arsenal is on MUTV now...memories!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The '99 FA Cup semi final with Arsenal is on MUTV now...memories!
    Is it repeated later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

back to ex fm players for a sec: vanden borre joining pompey on season long loan. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5488900,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Is it repeated later?

Just had a look and I don't think so, but they are running some other classic matches. They're only half hour highlights but good fun to watch.

Skud wrote: »
    back to ex fm players for a sec: vanden borre joining pompey on season long loan. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5488900,00.html

Manu connection here?

Manu connection here?

lads were talking about it earlier. He plays for our competition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

lads will vidic be fit for the birmingham game this weekend?

or will Johnny Evans play instead?

What do ye reckon?

Jayob10 wrote: »
    lads will vidic be fit for the birmingham game this weekend?

or will Johnny Evans play instead?

What do ye reckon?

vidic is out and evans is a doubt

read on redcafe.net that Dunphy predicted Manu would finish 3rd this year. Any one have links to his article/interview online?

Find it funny considering he was all for Ronaldo being sold guess he thought we would naturally buy Ribery as his replacement. Was reading all the skysports pundits. Most of them predicted Chelsea/Pool title yet made Owen best buy & to score plenty of goals .They also asked where would all the goals Ronaldo provided now come from......:confused:

• Advertisement

read on redcafe.net that Dunphy predicted Manu would finish 3rd this year. Any one have links to his article/interview online?

Find it funny considering he was all for Ronaldo being sold guess he thought we would naturally buy Ribery as his replacement. Was reading all the skysports pundits. Most of them predicted Chelsea/Pool title yet made Owen best buy & to score plenty of goals .They also asked where would all the goals Ronaldo provided now come from......:confused:

putting money on utd to win as we speak

reading redcafe atm

reserves and youth forum wouldnt touch any other forums

it seems we're really after the Italian youngsters atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Manu connection here?
    read on redcafe.net that Dunphy predicted Manu would finish 3rd this year.

Please stop that.

before I head off for the night ill share this

its already been posted in the 09/10 jersey threads

thanks to that poster

20% off everything at elverys!

Bargain Alerts

I got the new utd away jersey for 44 euro

Please stop that.

Manulicious then???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Pro. F wrote: »
    I have no problem giving Anderson his chance. It's Carrick/Fetcher I would like to replace in the first team.

I would agree. I dont rate Carrick at all tbh, often disappearing in big games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'm not going to go back to a post I made a while ago here but I reckon Fletcher is going to have a massive season this year.

And like Boggles, I agree that it's actually mind-numbing the amount of muck that is talked about our current squad and all these potential superstars we should buy. Also anyone that points to the Charity Shield game to say that our midfield is in bother should give up fairly lively. A) it's a nothing game B) We had two very good midfielders up against possibly the best three pronged midfield in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I ordered the new home jersey off this crowd, comes to about €20 and you can pay by paypal. Will update when I get it
    http://www.thefootballshirt.com/

if it's good I hope they get the away one too

Also anyone that points to the Charity Shield game to say that our midfield is in bother should give up fairly lively. A) it's a nothing game B) We had two very good midfielders up against possibly the best three pronged midfield in England.

A) Doesn't matter that it's nothing game since we were trying to win it and we fielded what a lot of people think is our best pair of cms along with a strong team in most positions. You could definitely say that it shouldn't be looked at because it's the first game of the season - I used it as an example because it was so recent and fresh in the mind. I also used other more important exemples.
    A) How do you not see that Chelsea's midfield were struggling in defence with their new formation? They were giving us loads of time and space on the ball and Carrick and Fletcher still couldn't hold onto possession. We gave up the ball more and more as the game went on and let Chelsea play their way back into it. We just relied on our defence and counter attacking, which is a muck way of doing things imo.
    So what if the opposition have a strong midfield? That's not an excuse for us to play sh!te.

Some people seem to accept that the biggest teams will have better midfields than us - why the hell should we not have a better midfield than them?

Some people seem to accept that the biggest teams will have better midfields than us - why the hell should we not have a better midfield than them?
    QFT

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Because we've got a better defence than them and you can't have it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

How deep / advanced were the midfield pair playing v Chelsea? (didn't catch the game) I'd hope that Carrick would chip in with a few more goals, he's a sweet striker of the ball.

danny simpson joined newcastle:
    http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1754493,00.html

no surpises really, wasn't playing that much on loan at blackburn

Skud wrote: »
    danny simpson joined newcastle:
    http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1754493,00.html

no surpises really, wasn't playing that much on loan at blackburn

newcastle will screw him up like they did to Rossi

• Advertisement

How deep / advanced were the midfield pair playing v Chelsea? (didn't catch the game) I'd hope that Carrick would chip in with a few more goals, he's a sweet striker of the ball.

Fletcher seemed the one to be getting forward a bit more. Carrick didn't seem to be trying to get in the box or ahead of the play. I wouldn't criticise him for that though because it held our shape and meant we weren't exposed too much on the counter. I missed about the first 10 minutes of the game, just started watching and Nani scored, so I didn't see if we did our all out mad attack from the whistle. Maybe Carrick got forward in that opening period.

And we've 80million to spend in order to improve our midfield - we CAN have it all if we really wanted.

Also, I wouldn't say our defence is all that much better than chelsea's. Up front we are comparable too, imo.

We should have a better midfield, one better at taking on the best teams in Europe without relying on negitive tactics, counter attacking and soaking up the pressure. We should have a squad capable of making other teams change to stop us, they don't need to.

Every time we come up against the biggest sides, it is always about how we'll deploy in order to stop them. Do you ever really see a top side change their style to contain us? Did it look like Barcelona thought ling and hard about a plan to stop Giggs, Carrick and Anderson. I don't think so.

Of course, people will ask who is out there that we could go for - i don't know, but i'm not paid millions a year to know. What I do know is that it seems apparent to myself that we change our midfield combo's to counteract the best when we play them, they don't do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bosingwa---Carvalho--Terry---Cole

is AT LEAST as good as....

Brown/Rafael---Ferdinand--Vidic---Evra/O'Shea

tbh

Fletcher seemed the one to be getting forward a bit more. Carrick didn't seem to be trying to get in the box or ahead of the play. I wouldn't criticise him for that though because it held our shape and meant we weren't exposed too much on the counter. I missed about the first 10 minutes of the game, just started watching and Nani scored, so I didn't see if we did our all out mad attack from the whistle. Maybe Carrick got forward in that opening period.

i don't even have a problem with them getting forward in that respect, i was very annoyed at the fact they stood off so much at the end of first half and for the second half. Carrick I expect it of, kinda, cause he never really presses as quickly as I would like, but i'd have expected Fletcher to be quicker to close down. We invited chelsea on to us way too much.

But that's crucial - there's no point spending 80 mil for the sake of spending 80 mil. Ferguson isn't going to waving the cheque-book around to pay inflated prices for inflated players.

We have a number of young players who will be expected to step up and at this stage it's better the devil you know. All the best midfielders are already with clubs they don't want to leave so all that's left it risky signings or young players - we already have plenty of young players and fergie doesn't want to risk it on others.

Mr Alan wrote: »

tbh
    I'm not going to argue because it'll boil down to opinion/stats but the amount of clean sheets kept by United last season should answer that question itself.

We were level on goals conceded with Chelsea in the league last season so fair enough you've found the closest example but generally our back four are very stingey so we're certainly up there for defensive quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

our back four are very stingey so we're certainly up there for defensive quality.

true enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Woah

Mr Alan wrote: »

tbh
    Vidic is a lot better than Terry. The rest are about equal defensively imo. Our first choice keeper is much better than theirs. So, imo, Vidic + VDS makes our defence better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Liam O wrote: »
    I ordered the new home jersey off this crowd, comes to about €20 and you can pay by paypal. Will update when I get it
    http://www.thefootballshirt.com/

if it's good I hope they get the away one too

Great site, ive bought about 5 jerseys from there, all perfect quality.

They will be getting the away jersey, soon.

Manchester United have the best defence in the world. I guess people have forgotten last season already. Rio and Vidic is the best central defensive partnership in the world. Evra is right up there. Right Back would be so strong and so deep if it wasnt for injuries but even so we have always got a great option there. 3 of our defenders could have won player of the season last year and the other 1 was up for young player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement