Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

no didnt mean never ever I am sure he scored a few in training aswell but I was talking about the premier league. I just think he is a very limited player and think fletcher offer yas a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Boggles wrote: »
    Ronaldo was making 50+ appearances the 2 seasons before Ruud left.

yeah but he didnt look anything like the player he ended up becoming after 50 appearances ,every1 thought he was a one trick pony at that stage.he certainly proved them all wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Oh ok, makes more sense then.

A lot of that comes down to the fact that Fletch is not normal, he just doesnt stop running :D

In Carricks defence I think thats just not what he's asked to do. When say you were talking earlier about tracking runs when the FB isnt there then Carrick will do this but first and foremost he is there to cover the runs centrally and also a lot of what he does goes unseen. Instead of making tackles he will intercept. I just think he's an incredibly intelligent footballer and gets way too much flak on here.

I can't remember where but I know Fletcher highlighted Redondo as one of his favourite players so its fair to say he has modelled himself on Redondos style of play.

I have no problems with carrick at all. He is a player who will link the midfield and the attack and I do think he is a responsible player. He does make many interceptions. His focus is on going forward so it is hard for him to always see where danger is coming from in defence so he wouldn't cover ground like fletcher. In attack he is a very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

redzerdrog wrote: »
    no didnt mean never ever I am sure he scored a few in training aswell but I was talking about the premier league. I just think he is a very limited player and think fletcher offer yas a lot more.

that's funny because I think fletch is limited and ando offers more :D

people tend to forget ando's brilliant games like arsenal in the 1st leg of the CL
    also he has been unlucky with injuries and has had his 1st pre-season with utd this summer

so lets see how ando goes this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I can't remember where but I know Fletcher highlighted Redondo as one of his favourite players so its fair to say he has modelled himself on Redondos style of play.

I have no problems with carrick at all. He is a player who will link the midfield and the attack and I do think he is a responsible player. He does make many interceptions. His focus is on going forward so it is hard for him to always see where danger is coming from in defence so he wouldn't cover ground like fletcher. In attack he is a very good player.

lol. at first I read Redondo as Ronaldo (must be the way my brain is trained to read it) and I was like, what? haha

Yeah I mean its without doubt that they are different players. Fletch is more box to box, a hustler with a lot of selfless work for the team. Carrick will get the ball from the back, start us going forward. I really think we'll only value Carrick properly when he's no longer playing for us.

The carrick bashing wasn't directed at you by the way, its just something thats really pissing me off a lot lately

• Advertisement

anplaya wrote: »
    yeah but he didnt look anything like the player he ended up becoming after 50 appearances ,every1 thought he was a one trick pony at that stage.he certainly proved them all wrong.

I don't think that is an accurate description. Not many football people considered him limited to one trick.

More people were frustrated with Ronaldo at that time as they could see the talent he had. But most coped with the frustration as they knew once he matured he would be more consistant for United.

lol. at first I read Redondo as Ronaldo (must be the way my brain is trained to read it) and I was like, what? haha

Yeah I mean its without doubt that they are different players. Fletch is more box to box, a hustler with a lot of selfless work for the team. Carrick will get the ball from the back, start us going forward. I really think we'll only value Carrick properly when he's no longer playing for us.

The carrick bashing wasn't directed at you by the way, its just something thats really pissing me off a lot lately

I think your right about carrick. He is like many united players, he isn't all over the papers or sky tvs coverage so people don't always appreciate him.

Headshot wrote: »
    that's funny because I think fletch is limited and ando offers more :D

people tend to forget ando's brilliant games like arsenal in the 1st leg of the CL
    also he has been unlucky with injuries and has had his 1st pre-season with utd this summer

so lets see how ando goes this season

opinions-thats what its all about

i have been wrong many times before and i am sure many times come sure up till a year or two ago i taught fletcher and o shea belonged in the championship and they have both more than proved otherwise

I don't think that is an accurate description. Not many football people considered him limited to one trick.

More people were frustrated with Ronaldo at that time as they could see the talent he had. But most coped with the frustration as they knew once he matured he would be more consistant for United.

i dont know about that,a lot of people couldnt see past his stepovers at that stage.he could have either gone one way or the other to be honest with you.fergie was patient with him.

i dont know about that,a lot of people couldnt see past his stepovers at that stage.he could have either gone one way or the other to be honest with you.fergie was patient with him.

I don't know what all people thought but i'm sure most people who know about football were able to see the Players list of abilities. Speaking for myself I saw his talent and recognised all he needed was maturity to help him make good decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Seriously ?

Bar the most bitter hater it was obvious he had amazing talent even when he fooked up with a step over too many.Patience is never required with genius technique.He has it and it will be missed.United will/could actually gain defensively from the right side.It's just the offensive part which is upmost important at an attacking club which imo United will miss and suffer from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Watch Anderson if he plays tomorrow and then tell me he isnt a creative player.

When he gets the ball, he trys to make something happen. That to me is a creative player. Darren Fletcher (dont get me wrong, i do love) doesnt do this.

Exaple: Wigan at home last year, Anderson gets the ball and without even looking up he fires an inch perfect 30 yard ball over the top to put Giggs in who squares to Rooney, goal. Creative.

I don't know what all people thought but i'm sure most people who know about football were able to see the Players list of abilities. Speaking for myself I saw his talent and recognised all he needed was maturity to help him make good decisions.

.i remember being in the pub and fellas were like ronaldo useless this, ronaldo useless that.its a wonder people have short memories.'bitter hater',nothing to do with man united,were talking about the player,where did ya get that out of ?yeah he was frustrating to watch at times,but as i said after 50 games nobody could have seen where he would have ended up,as the best player in the world.

plenty of people have talent at the age , ,doesnt mean theyll make it.i think he was lucky fergie could see past his early fcuk ups and make him into the player he is today,as i said patience.

.i remember being in the pub and fellas were like ronaldo useless this, ronaldo useless that.its a wonder people have short memories.'bitter hater',nothing to do with man united,were talking about the player,where did ya get that out of ?yeah he was frustrating to watch at times,but as i said after 50 games nobody could have seen where he would have ended up,as the best player in the world.

Boggles said Ronaldo was making 50+ appearences for united in each of the two seasons before Ruud left united.

And even though you were talking about his first 50 games for united (Rather than what boggles was talking about) I think you are wrong to say nobody could see how good Ronaldo was going to be. His abilities were obvious and all he needed was time.

I wouldn't be too concerned with what fellas in the pub think about any player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

...where we need energy for 90 minutes which for some reason Ando just cant do. Just on this, what do people think the reason is that Anderson just fades around the 55th minute mark?
    It's a weird one alright. Maybe as he plays more regularly he'll get used to the mindset that's required to slog on when the tank is near empty.

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's a weird one alright. Maybe as he plays more regularly he'll get used to the mindset that's required to slog on when the tank is near empty.

He also gets many small injuries so that would keep him from maintaining a high level of fitness.

He has a huge arse. You try lugging that around for more than 55 mins.

It is however, along with his hair, the source of all his power. Once he utilises this power the world of football will never be the same again.

Boggles said Ronaldo was making 50+ appearences for united in each of the two seasons before Ruud left united.

And even though you were talking about his first 50 games for united (Rather than what boggles was talking about) I think you are wrong to say nobody could see how good Ronaldo was going to be. His abilities were obvious and all he needed was time.

I wouldn't be too concerned with what fellas in the pub think about any player.

ya could say the same about certain other players and they never lived up to that promise.nobody could have seen ronaldo ending up as best player in the world after his first 50 games for united.

im just saying what the fans thought about him when he first signed for manchester united,usually ya get most peoples opinions when yer watchin a game somewhere ie the pub.theres no way you thought hed end up as best player in the world at that time ,from watching his performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

People only have to look at Anderson's appearance record to see that he's not used to playing a long season of games from start to finish. He has been protected in his United career from playing let's say 5 games from start to finish in a row.

• Advertisement

love to see ando go forward more often

when he was at porto is was an attacking midfielder and at utd he's been asked to be an box to box midfielder

that's how i see it anyway

maybe when hargo comes back we could see ando's attacking mentality return

ya could say the same about certain other players and they never lived up to that promise.nobody could have seen ronaldo ending up as best player in the world after his first 50 games for united.

im just saying what the fans thought about him when he first signed for manchester united,usually ya get most peoples opinions when yer watchin a game somewhere ie the pub.theres no way you thought hed end up as best player in the world at that time ,from watching his performances.

Erm yes thats exactly what i thought. I actually though this guy is going to be fifa world player of the year someday but i expected it to happen after he left united.

Liam O wrote: »
    People only have to look at Anderson's appearance record to see that he's not used to playing a long season of games from start to finish. He has been protected in his United career from playing let's say 5 games from start to finish in a row.
    tbh you could say all of the United midfielders (other than Ronaldo) have been protected like that in the last few seasons. Fergie hardly ever names an unchanged midfield these days. Maybe that will change this season, I don't know. Whatever happens hopefully Anderson becomes physically capable of playing a full 90 minutes weak in weak out - anything less is sub standard for a guy his age.

tbh you could say all of the United midfielders (other than Ronaldo) have been protected like that in the last few seasons. Fergie hardly ever names an unchanged midfield these days. Maybe that will change this season, I don't know. Whatever happens hopefully Anderson becomes physically capable of playing a full 90 minutes weak in weak out - anything less is sub standard for a guy his age.

His age could be a factor. Growing pains could stop him training properly and cause his little injuries

Pure speculation on my part.

if ando is such a creative player why has he only 3 assists in his utd career?

Go back one page from your post
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Watch Anderson if he plays tomorrow and then tell me he isnt a creative player.

When he gets the ball, he trys to make something happen. That to me is a creative player. Darren Fletcher (dont get me wrong, i do love) doesnt do this.

Exaple: Wigan at home last year, Anderson gets the ball and without even looking up he fires an inch perfect 30 yard ball over the top to put Giggs in who squares to Rooney, goal. Creative.

As Mikey proved Just because you don't always make the final pass it doesn't mean you can't create.

so he played 1 good pass that led to pass that assisted a goal, this is what makes a creative for you guys. come on surely a creative player has to be more.

sure if van der sar hit a 60yard pass to rooney who then set owen up for goal would he be called a creative player?

maybe fantasy football should start giving points for assisting and assist for a goal

His age could be a factor. Growing pains could stop him training properly and cause his little injuries

Pure speculation on my part.

Sorry to pi$s on your theory a bit :p ...but, apparently, when you're growing you can actually train better and more often because the cell repair is better in growing bodies which makes recovery easier. It gets harder to recover from exercise as you get older.

Hopefully he's just had bad luck with injuries and it's all nothing more significant than that.

so he played 1 good pass that led to pass that assisted a goal, this is what makes a creative for you guys. come on surely a creative player has to be more.

sure if van der sar hit a 60yard pass to rooney who then set owen up for goal would he be called a creative player?

maybe fantasy football should start giving points for assisting and assist for a goal

It really annoys me that whenever someone is questioned everyone points to stats as if thats the only thing that matters.

A lot of the good things in football often are unnoticed or wont be remembered as they may not make the highlight reels or go down as one of the favoured stats.

It really annoys me how a player is questioned and someone posts the stats as if thats the end of argument.

People need to watch more football and stop referring to wikipedia.

• Advertisement

If your using the fantasy football scoring system as a method of judging a players abilities I see no point in continuing a discussion on this particular matter as we are unlikely to find any common ground.

Sorry to pi$s on your theory a bit :p ...but, apparently, when you're growing you can actually train better and more often because the cell repair is better in growing bodies which makes recovery easier. It gets harder to recover from exercise as you get older.

Hopefully he's just had bad luck with injuries and it's all nothing more significant than that.

sorry to piss on your theory but that's kinda wrong ;)

perfect example is petrucci atm,he has gowing pains and had stopped training

he got the pains from training afaik

I was going to say that I'd imagine the age factor will work in his favour. As a young player he should be able to go much longer than the older pros. The challenge maybe just him chanelling his enthusiasm, maybe going a bit more quiet for a few minutes of the game to allow him to have more impact in the 2nd half. I dunno, its just something I find frustrating when he's replaced around the hour mark as it's pretty evident that he's knackered.

Still love him though

Can people stop pissing on each other please :pac:

Growing pains may affect someone to an extent but at Andos age I imagine there aint much more growing to do. We shall see if this season will be any different.

Tell that to Kevin Grogan!

I'm sure what happened that young man is one of the reasons united prefer to focus on a young players ability than over training.

Can people stop pissing on each other please :pac:

Growing pains may affect someone to an extent but at Andos age I imagine there aint much more growing to do. We shall see if this season will be any different.

wasnt really referring to ando but some people dont stop growing until their early 20s

• Advertisement

wasnt really referring to ando but some people dont stop growing until their early 20s

Yeah I got what you were saying mate. I was just pointing out that I dont think its really applicable to Ando as he's at the age where most will stop growing.

Generally, the young kids who come through at an early age are the those that have already developed physically. Its often how they get ahead and are noticed, they tend to be stronger and quicker than the other 99% of kids their age and thats often why they stand out.

Take Macheda for example, he's a beast of a lad for his age but I would very much doubt he will grow much further. I know he's still young and obviously I cant say for sure he wont get any bigger (other than him doing his weights etc) but I doubt he'll have growing pains up till the age of 20.

I think I sorta made that clear :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

nobody could have seen ronaldo ending up as best player in the world after his first 50 games for united.

He isn't the best player in the world though. Messi is and that's a fhact. :D

You mean they couldn't see 3 years into the future ? What kind of pissheads in a pub can't see into the future ?

If your using the fantasy football scoring system as a method of judging a players abilities I see no point in continuing a discussion on this particular matter as we are unlikely to find any common ground.

yeh thats what i was doing alright I am judging his ability on a fantasy football game that i played today for the first time. get a grip ffs.

I am judging him on what I have seen over the last couple of years am not usually one to buy into stats either and I am far to lazy to try look them up on wiki for that matter. Someone else posted he only got 3 assists I will take their word for it, but to me a player with only that amount in a couple of years would that be looked at as creative no matter what way ye try butter it by saying he assisted the assist or some other bollox like that.

Yeah I got what you were saying mate. I was just pointing out that I dont think its really applicable to Ando as he's at the age where most will stop growing.

Generally, the young kids who come through at an early age are the those that have already developed physically. Its often how they get ahead and are noticed, they tend to be stronger and quicker than the other 99% of kids their age and thats often why they stand out.

Take Macheda for example, he's a beast of a lad for his age but I would very much doubt he will grow much further. I know he's still young and obviously I cant say for sure he wont get any bigger (other than him doing his weights etc) but I doubt he'll have growing pains up till the age of 20.

More speculating on my part:)

I only brought it up as Ando was pretty big when he joined united so probably had a growth spurt early. But when he was developing he may have suffered a bit with over training and his body keeps breaking down because of it even a couple of years later.

He does seem to get a fair share of little injuries.

Of course they could just be explained by the fact his fitness is low when he returns and as he plays catch up he gets re-injured a few weeks later...... hmm

actually while you mentioned kiko

utd expect kiko to grow a bit more actually

so he's 6ft atm,wonder how tall he can get

• Advertisement

actually while you mentioned kiko

utd expect kiko to grow a bit more actually

so he's 6ft atm,wonder how tall he can get

Were they talking about height? Or as in him filling out like Ronaldo did.

When we signed him he was tall but pretty thin and he was clearly put on the weights early and became an absolute beast.

Were they talking about height? Or as in him filling out like Ronaldo did.

When we signed him he was tall but pretty thin and he was clearly put on the weights early and became an absolute beast.

height i think mate

idk even know why we're talking about this :confused:

anyway lets change the topic to something we usually always talk about :D

whose going to take the frees

can valencia take frees ?

Seriously man, you don't really think fantasy football is in any way an indicator do you?

Mikey summed it up perfectly in his post.

If you're still looking for stats have a look at the stats of players like Fabregas, Alonso and Xavi. Those type of players often don't lead their teams in assists but are still their creative lynch-pins. That's mostly the type of creativity that Anderson offers United at the moment. Not that i'm saying he is as good as them at it yet.

Since we are continuing
    yeh thats what i was doing alright I am judging his ability on a fantasy football game that i played today for the first time. get a grip ffs.

So would you admit mentioning fantasy football when it comes to looking for opininions on a players ability is pointless.
    I am judging him on what I have seen over the last couple of years .
    to me a player with only that amount in a couple of years would that be looked at as creative

You judgeAnderson by what you have seen but use statistics as back up for your opinion even though you don't buy into statistics, that makes sense.

In fact if you are judging him on what you have seen why are you bringing statistics into at all?

Where is Headshot with a picture of a shovel when I need him.

whose going to take the frees

can valencia take frees ?

Carrick should be sent out after training to practice as he has the ability to strike a ball very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

I think Fletcher should take the frees.
    Is Valencia good at penalties?

:p

Where is Headshot with a picture of a shovel when I need him.

treasure.jpg

Sorry but that argument makes you look like youve never watched football before. Either that or you are trying to piss me off? becuase im not sure if someone who read what i said and thought i said all assists are creative can actually be serious.

Here is what i was talking about that. It is creative. Not too many players would have pulled that off.

What i dont understand is why you have to question our liking of Anderson. Whats it to you if United fans who watch him every week think highly of him?

Too much piss :)

hmm I don't doubt what you say is true. My knowledge comes from combat sports like boxing and muay thai, maybe the different demands of football have a different effect somehow that cause trouble for some young guys who are growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

That was a fantastic pass from Ando there.

He is in my mind probably the best player in the Premiership at cutting through a whole defence by dribbling. He's very very quick when he gets moving and strong enough to hold off most tackles. Unfortunately he doesnt do it often enough for it to be really noticed. He just needs to work on his shooting and the final ball. If he does then there is no doubt he can fulfill his immense potential.

Never mind the tackle at the end haha

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement