Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

papagormo wrote: »
    i wish i wasnt right on that statement.
    thats one contender down blackburn, now stop the other two thanks!

Ah Fergie'll get ould Sammy to lay down for us. No probs there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

before I hit the bed, just like to say iv delighted with this man

1512888042-soccer-pre-season-friendly-manchester-united-v-valencia-old-trafford.jpg

he really has been a superb buy, thought he was great today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Headshot wrote: »
    before I hit the bed, just like to say iv delighted with this man

1512888042-soccer-pre-season-friendly-manchester-united-v-valencia-old-trafford.jpg

he really has been a superb buy, thought he was great today

Class buy. A pinch at 16M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

papagormo wrote: »
    Blackburn will be the bane for the 3 contenders, ye read it here first.

Nope, Tony Cascarino predicted them to take points off all 3 contenders, a few weeks ago - with a win against United. I lol'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

iknow he failed at milan but he was young, hes playin great stuff for bordeux now and he has some skill, if aresnal lose fab theyll go for him i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

iknow he failed at milan but he was young, hes playin great stuff for bordeux now and he has some skill, if aresnal lose fab theyll go for him i reckon

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Cool thread man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

should be in the Man United thread, but yes, Gourcuff should be United's number 1 target this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wat about Carrick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I don't get the big deal about this guy. Have seen him live and on TV a **** load and he has never done anything of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I don't get the big deal about this guy. Have seen him live and on TV a **** load and he has never done anything of note.

He's class. Very clever passer of the ball, very elegant in possession and gets on the scoresheet a lot. Problem is that he went to Milan and was in direct competition with Kaka for his place so ended up on the wing etc.

If and when a top team sign him, people will see just how good he really is.

Also, random thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arsenal won't go near him unless Ramsey's career takes a turn for the worse ala Eduardo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

have to admit, im not actually 100% sold on Gourcouff yet myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

From what I've seen from him, he looks a real talent. Since Italy is pretty much out of the picture, and there's no space in Madrid nor Barca for his position, United have a good chance of getting him for a reasonable fee (say 20-30 mill)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm 50-50 on him as well, I've seen him do great stuff but also be pretty anonymous in games, but haven't seen enough to make a proper assessment.

For anyone thats watched him extensively, what's he like in terms of doing the so-called "basics" of midfield play I wonder? Does he track back, put tackles in? Or is he one of those luxury midfielders that only does the fancy stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Arteta an option no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Trilla wrote: »
    Arteta an option no?

Would love him, I think he's an exceptional player and wouldn't need to settle into the Premiership at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Arteta an option no?

Always seems to get injured. Then again we bought Hargreaves :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Great to see Park getting the winner today, I was jumping around the room when I saw that he was the one with the flying header; not his usual move. Every team could do with a workhorse like Park, he must be a beast on the bleep test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Valmont wrote: »
    Great to see Park getting the winner today, I was jumping around the room when I saw that he was the one with the flying header; not his usual move. Every team could do with a workhorse like Park, he must be a beast on the bleep test.

Agree.

He been playing well since Arsenal game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Agree.

He been playing well since Arsenal game.

Park is shamefully under-rated. He's a total workhorse & can play almost anywhere on the pitch & always takes up good positions when he's off the ball. He very rarely scores though, which seems to go against him in how he's percieved.

Modric is the other obvious central midfield option.

no, he is normally quite wasteful in the final third , this is what goes against him

he has been looking good again lately of course

PHB wrote: »
    Modric is the other obvious central midfield option.

you know we would have to pay through the nose for him though

whats the latest news on Deffour? if any

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'm 50-50 on him as well, I've seen him do great stuff but also be pretty anonymous in games, but haven't seen enough to make a proper assessment.

For anyone thats watched him extensively, what's he like in terms of doing the so-called "basics" of midfield play I wonder? Does he track back, put tackles in? Or is he one of those luxury midfielders that only does the fancy stuff?
    Come on man, grow a set of balls and just put an opinion out there! :p

I haven't watched him 'extensively' but from what I've seen, I think I could watch him a hundred times in Ligue 1 and internationals and I wouldn't know anymore tbh.

His priorities definitely lie on the creative side of things but I have seen him do some of the simple dirty work at times. The real questions for me are - is he going to be too intimidated by the violence of the PL to do his small share of the ball winning? Would he be brave enough to do enough work in the centre of a 442? It's an almost impossible question to answer imo. It's just too much of a difference between where he plays now and where United play. One thing I would be sure about is that he's not the type of player who immediatly jumps out at me with the impression that he would thrive in the PL like, say, Essien did when he was in France. But in the end, taking all his skills and attributes into account, if I was in charge of transfers I would be willing to make the big gamble on him - up to £25m anyway, no point spending anymore on any player imo.
    Arteta an option no?

I like Arteta a lot, he's definitely an option. He's proven in the Prem and he's held back at Everton imho, he could do so much more at United. But the one problem with him is his age, might be hard to get Moyes to sell at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Does anyone think that David Villa would be a risky signing at 40 million? Considering all the goals united have this season anyway, why take the risk on a big name that might not be able for the premier league pressure? I don't see it happening anyway, too expensive for the club at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Valmont wrote: »
    Does anyone think that David Villa would be a risky signing at 40 million? Considering all the goals united have this season anyway, why take the risk on a big name that might not be able for the premier league pressure? I don't see it happening anyway, too expensive for the club at this time.

we will not be forking out 40m on a player, im pretty sure of that.

(not a criticism of you or anyone who suggested it btw)

kryogen wrote: »
    no, he is normally quite wasteful in the final third , this is what goes against him

He's less wasteful when he plays centrally imo. When he's playing out wide and he's trying to shoot/cross he's always at a disadvantage because he doesn't have the pace nor the physical scope to get away from the fullback. He can use his clever movement to more advantage in the centre imo.

Just talking about Park and how cool he is, here's a list of United players I love for their tireless work rate and aggression:
    Rooney
    Fletcher
    Evra
    Valencia
    Park
    It's great having them all in our squad - such hunger they have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

here's my list in no particular order

park
    rooney
    fletcher
    evra
    valencia
    park :P
    berbatov:eek:

• Advertisement

here's my list in no particular order

park
    rooney
    fletcher
    evra
    valencia
    park :P
    berbatov:eek:

This list is perfect. I see no errors in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Pro. F wrote: »
    This list is perfect. I see no errors in it.
    i'm sure everyone agrees:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    we will not be forking out 40m on a player, im pretty sure of that.

(not a criticism of you or anyone who suggested it btw)

Why are you so sure of that ?

Villa is going on 29, for that reason I'd be surprised if we spent £40 million on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kryogen wrote: »

Park is quite possibly the unluckiest player I've ever seen in the final third. His movement and positioning are top class but whenever he gets a good shot on target the keeper seems to make a wonder save and the amount of times I've seen the ball bobble before he shoots is unreal. It's actually hilarious how unlucky he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just a thought, its clear to me that Mame Biram "The One" Diouf took on the form of El Hadji (as we all know he can shapeshift, eg. the beachball, the bobble for Torres, possibly making John Terry slip in Moscow?) and he infact scored that goal against Chelsea. I just hope the FA dont find out.

David Villa is 28. Wouldl be very very surprised to see us spend big money on an old player with no resale value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Park's workrate is top notch , his reading of the game and his ability to find place in and around the box is very good , He is just not a natural finisher and never will be . In the big games his defensive abilities /duties and workrate make him well worth his place in the team .

Osu wrote: »
    Class buy. A pinch at 16M

12m according to saf

there's stories/rumours going around that Rooney limped off after the liverpool match

not sure is it true or not, doubt it tbh, fergie wouldnt keep him on other wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Park is really coming into his own lately and I think it is very much down to the 4-5-1 which United have played.
    He is showing the form that he had before we signed him when he was playing as an attacking midfielder.
    Long may it continue, delighted he got the winner yesterday.
    Almost wish he hadn't, my head is banging in work today :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Headshot wrote: »
    there's stories/rumours going around that Rooney limped off after the liverpool match

not sure is it true or not, doubt it tbh, fergie wouldnt keep him on other wise

He seemed to be walking off comfortably enough, going by the pictures I saw on Sky yesterday. Big smile on his face as well. Hopefully it is just another rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I read the same thing on Ben Hibbs Twitter regarding Rooney's "injury". Hope it's nothing too serious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The Muppet wrote: »
    Why are you so sure of that ?

Villa is going on 29, for that reason I'd be surprised if we spent £40 million on him.

because its a stupid amount of money and i cant see SAF willing to spend that much on a single player. This is without me even getting started on our finances but I'm sure theres no point in going round in circles on this.

I personally think we need to look at what we are best at, and augment that.

I don't think 442 is right for us anymore, not to the extent spending 40million on a striker is the way to go.

451/433 is working for us, and we should stick to that, I think it just needs to be improved to support Rooney that bit more. A creative AMC (Gourcuff) and a left footed winger (Sila, Mata, Di Maria) would give us better balance and speed going forward imo.

Rooney has excelled as a central stiker, I don't really see a need to move away from that - it also compenstates for the relatively weak midfield.

If we were to sign Villa, we'd be going 442, and I don't think we have the central midfielders to support that - Fletcher is really the only one I would truly trust in a 442 and he'd need a top CM beside him - which we don't have (imo) and would cost a fortune to bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Not needing a striker is another reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

keane2097 wrote: »
    Not needing a striker is another reason.

If we don't sign a striker in the summer we need to sign a world class midfielder to replace Scholes who can play beside Hargreaves when he gets back from injury and dump that donkey Carrick.

Vanbis wrote: »
    If we don't sign a striker in the summer we need to sign a world class midfielder to replace Scholes who can play beside Hargreaves when he gets back from injury and dump that donkey Carrick.

Gourcuff as the AMC with Fletcher and Hargreaves supporting him. Carrick, Anderson, Scholes, Giggs backing those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Gourcuff as the AMC with Fletcher and Hargreaves supporting him. Carrick, Anderson, Scholes, Giggs backing those.

I can't really comment on Gourcuff as i've not seeing him play enough times but id be happy with either Modric or Diego of Juventus. I won't be surprised if Anderson is moved on in the summer, i think SAF has lost patience with him this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Vanbis wrote: »
    i think SAF has lost patience with him this season.
    Why?

We have Flecth and hopefully Hargo, i know its not the most creative middle of the park, but when both are fit I would trust them in a 442

we need the creativity to come from the wings in that case, therefore a left sided winger is required, if we are to keep playing the 451 on a regular basis then we need pretty much the same thing imo

i think Anderson needs a run of games, and if we were to have Fletch and Hargo both fit and playing then I would love to see Anderson get a run alongside them

edit-actually, in the games where Ando played alongside Hargo (442 even) he has looked his best imo

Carrick would also look better alongside both of them i think, he would get more time and not have to think about the defensive side at all really, just about picking passes

Scholes would be accomodated nicely too with the energy of Fletch and Hargo meaning he could do the same as Carrick, just pick passes

Ideally an attacking centre mid is needed of course, but I really want to see Anderson get a prolonged run in the team before I write him off, (same as Nani)

if he comes good then its one less signing!

No way we need Villa anymore

We have Rooney who has improved as a striker so much it is like a new signing tbh
    We have excellent back up in Berba (who doesnt whinge and moan when he is left on the bench) and the two of them have shown they play well together
    We have, for another season, Owen, who can be used the way he was this season and he will probably get a couple of important goals along the way
    We have Macheda, and Diouf then as our youth, up front we are set imo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement