Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Vanbis wrote: »
    Its not guaranteed he will playing in the Premier League next season yet.

Obviously but the signs are positive. United representatives met with Villa representatives in January and apparently there was a positive response also Villa has as soon as last year has spoken out about his appreciation for United and Arsenal. Last week he statede he doesnt want to consider his future until after the World Cup so for me he already has formed the thoughs in his head and since Jan has been locked away in his brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Obviously but the signs are positive. United representatives met with Villa representatives in January and apparently there was a positive response also Villa has as soon as last year has spoken out about his appreciation for United and Arsenal. Last week he statede he doesnt want to consider his future until after the World Cup so for me he already has formed the thoughs in his head and since Jan has been locked away in his brain.
    If we paid over 20m for him I'd be really pissed off. I'd prefer Silva and Mata out of that team tbh, but only because they are a lot younger than Villa. No chance Of getting him cheap either because he has said that if he leaves it'll be to help Valencia's debt issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sigh.

This is just since Saturday.

I don't want to derail the thread anymore, just a retort to the idea that I was posting baseless lies.

Carry on.

lol

kryogen got pwn'd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Liam O wrote: »
    If we paid over 20m for him I'd be really pissed off.

I'd have thought that 20M for Villa would be an absolute bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

£20million would be a bargin but if Manutd pay anything like the figures of £40million plus his wages and images rights its going to be one expensive transfer for a 29yr old.

he's 28 and I don't like the idea of buying him for £30-40m when he'll be at the top of his game for 3 or 4 years max imo. Maybe 1 or 2 years ago I'd feel better about it but it doesn't seem like a good deal from where I am atm. City will probably go for him which means an inflated price is a given.

he's 28 and I don't like the idea of buying him for £30-40m when he'll be at the top of his game for 3 or 4 years max imo. Maybe 1 or 2 years ago I'd feel better about ot but it doesn't seem like a good deal from where I am atm. City will probably go for him which means an inflated price is a given.

Agreed, better value a couple of years ago but he will be 29 this December so still young enough to get another great 4yrs provided he scores the goals and the transfer fee may well involve add on's if we win the Premier League, Champions league. I think he would be a good signing just not sure if there is any truth in the rumours.

Current Strikers > Rooney, Berbatov, Owen, Diouf, Macheda, Wellbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

we've been linked with silva again, we did make an offer a couple of seasons back, so there seems to be genuine interest there I think, out of interest what position would he fit in at utd ?

Headshot wrote: »
    we've been linked with silva again, we did make an offer a couple of seasons back, so there seems to be genuine interest there I think, out of interest what position would he fit in at utd ?

Left wing

Yeah i remember that story and seems to have croped up again of late, maybe more truth in that then Villa.

I think he would play just behind Rooney in a 4-5-1 formation?

I'd much rather Manutd spent £40million on Frank Ribery then David Villa. I dont think scoring goals has being a problem but we need a more creative spark in the midfield

I really like the look of James McCarthy at Wigan, why SAF didn't try harder for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Left wing

does he play left wing for Valencia ?

he seems to be always up near villa, possibly an AM, (just in behind villa)

hardly ever see him on the left.

If we paid over 20m for him I'd be really pissed off. I'd prefer Silva and Mata out of that team tbh, but only because they are a lot younger than Villa. No chance Of getting him cheap either because he has said that if he leaves it'll be to help Valencia's debt issues.

you have to be kidding he has a good 3 years left in him and he's hungry and determined. 20m would be a steal. He could also link up with both Rooney and Berbatov.
    Left wing

See the Silva issue for me is different I dont think he would fit into a traditional United set-up... whereas Mata or Hernandez even Jordi Alba would be very very interesting players for genuine attacking width. Wouldnt mind Silva but he would bring more questions than answers.

Anytime i've watched Valencia play he is always seems to play just behind Villa as a AM. I thought Mata and Vicente play on the LM?

hardly ever see him on the left.

Plays there for Spain afaik, he would need a lot of cover to play him centrally and with Giggs close to retirement I feel he could slot in there nicely
    you have to be kidding he has a good 3 years left in him and he's hungry and determined. 20m would be a steal. He could also link up with both Rooney and Berbatov.
    I said when we were buying Berba that Villa was a much better option for that kind of money but for 3 years of top play to play £30-40m is not good value. £20m would be great but the type of numbers the media are talking are numbers that a GK, a CM and a striker could be bought for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Mata plays on the left.

Silva on the right and on occasions moves in behind Villa especially if Jaoquin comes on.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Anytime i've watched Valencia play he is always seems to play just behind Villa as a AM. I thought Mata and Vicente play on the LM?
    Jesus you havnt seen them in ages so Vincente has only played 3 times this season. Mata and Pablo Hernadez or Jordi Alba play on the flanks.

Ive seen every Valencia game this season and last, including Eurpoa league/UEFA Cup... Silva plays behind Villa ahead of Banega/Albelda in a formation like 4-2-3-1 or a 4-2-2-1-1 the 3 in that attacking midfield are flexible and shift plenty of times but traditionally Silva has always played in this position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sigh.

I don't want to derail the thread anymore, just a retort to the idea that I was posting baseless lies.

Carry on.

What exactly is wrong with agreeing to differ and moving on over an opinion, If there was a little more of that here we wouldn't have as much tit for tat nonsense and thread derailments imo.

Jesus you havnt seen them in ages so Vincente has only played 3 times this season. Mata and Pablo Hernadez or Jordi Alba play on the flanks.

I know Vicente has only played 3 times this season. Twice in La liga and once in the cop del ray if you want to be specific about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Muppet wrote: »
    What exactly is wrong with agreeing to differ and moving on over an opinion, If there was a little more of that here we wouldn't have as much tit for tat nonsense and thread derailments imo.

It's fine in moderation I suppose. I've just noticed it an awful lot over the last while from this particular person who seems to use it as a ploy to get the last word/invalidate arguments against him.

Like I said, I don't want to derail the thread any more, the last post was just in response to being told I was posting baseless lies.

If you want any more clarification on the issue go ahead and PM me about it I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It's fine in moderation I suppose. I've just noticed it an awful lot over the last while from this particular person who seems to use it as a ploy to get the last word/invalidate arguments against him.

Like I said, I don't want to derail the thread any more, the last post was just in response to being told I was posting baseless lies.

If you want any more clarification on the issue go ahead and PM me about it I suppose.

Fair enough, we'll agree to differ so.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Muppet wrote: »
    Fair enough, we'll agree to differ so.;)

That wasn't even funny the first time, and that was yesterday ;)

I knew there was a reason I stayed away from the sports forums for so long... gues ill go back in hibernation...... Until Villa signs for UNited then ill never be off this page.

Torres the transvestite (turn up volume)

:DLoL:D

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=106504156046383&ref=mf

Some more........

Thursday Nights at 8 o' Clock (turn up volume)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=106505579379574

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

redout wrote: »
    Torres the transvestite (turn up volume)

:DLoL:D

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=106504156046383&ref=mf

That's f*cking hilarious - best laugh I've had today.. love the fact that the dude has even gone to the effort of playing the music on the keyboard (or at least pressing the demo button!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

redout wrote: »
    Some more........

Thursday Nights at 8 o' Clock (turn up volume)

'Thursday Nights, on Channel 5' is what was being sung on Sunday, in the pubs and the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love that Torres song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sigh.

Carry on.

is it meant to be a joke?

they are from at most 3 separate conversations, having to repeat myself isnt the same as always saying it, and taking them out of context was just a hero move on your part

take this to pm if you wanna actually take your problem up seriously

(no its not a threat)

kryogen wrote: »

take this to pm if you wanna actually take your problem up seriously

(no its not a threat)

Now, that's fightin' talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Them chants are classic :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Always thought that Torres was a bit of a 'goldilocks' alright and why he wasn't sent off on Sunday for his antics I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Always thought that Torres was a bit of a 'goldilocks' alright and why he wasn't sent off on Sunday for his antics I'll never know.

because she knoes how to charm the ref

because she knoes how to charm the ref

He'd be like that bird in the Yorkie ad getting booked.

im personally happy he didnt get sent off now

it would just have given them another excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He'd be like that bird in the Yorkie ad getting booked.
    Sorreee, oh've already goh' a boyfrieeend !

Dave! wrote: »

You press the keys on keyboard too hard dude:D

Dave! wrote: »

*turns and looks lovingly at Stevie G, who responds with a big smile for his bit of crumpet*

now its perfect :D

lollers

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23032010/58/champions-league-power-rankings-united-top.html

EUROPEAN POWER RANKINGS

1. Manchester United - 23.00

2. Bordeaux - 22.75

3. Barcelona - 21.97

4. Real Madrid - 21.34

5. Arsenal - 20.81

6. Benfica - 20.55

7. Internazionale - 19.72

8. Chelsea - 19.58

9. PSV Eindhoven - 19.11

10. Porto - 18.57

11. Lyon - 18.54

12. Fiorentina - 18.32

13. Bayern - 17.46

14. Anderlecht - 17.06

15. Salzburg - 16.92

16. Twente - 16.91

17. Shakhtar - 16.90

18. Sevilla - 16.90

19. Ajax - 16.77

20. CSKA Moscow - 16.55

21. Panathinaikos - 16.24

22. Roma - 16.16

23. Valencia - 16.06

24. Fenerbahce - 16.00

25. Werder Bremen - 15.90 (*)

26. Milan - 15.80

27. Liverpool - 15.33 (*)

28. Galatasaray - 15.15

29. Brugge - 15.14

30. Marseille - 14.82

31. Lille - 14.71 (*)

32. Olympiacos - 14.69

33. Juventus -14.56 (*)

34. Hapoel Tel-Aviv - 14.54

35. Rubin - 14.45

36. Sporting Lisbon - 13.83

37. Hamburg - 13.73

38. Fulham - 13.53

39. Everton - 13.50

40. Athletic Bilbao - 13.28

41. Wolfsburg - 12.87

42. FC Copenhagen - 12.67 (*)

43. Stuttgart - 12.58

44. Unirea Urziceni - 12.13 (*)

45. Standard Liege - 12.07

46. Villarreal - 11.67 (*)

47. Atletico Madrid - 10.20 (*)

48. Hertha Berlin - 8.50

HOW IT WORKS

Scores are based on points per game in domestic league, Champions League and Europa games.

Domestic points per game are multiplied by the league coefficient - either 3.5, 4, 4.5 or 5 - with teams in stronger leagues getting more credit.

League coefficients:

5 - England, Italy, Spain.

4.5 - Germany, France, Portugal, Netherlands, Russia.

4 - Belgium, Greece, Poland, Turkey, Ukraine, Scotland, Romania.

3.5 - Cyprus, Switzerland, Israel, Denmark, Austria.

Champions League victories are counted as three points for a win. They are all multiplied by a coefficient of 5. Matches in the group stage and beyond are counted.

Europa League victories are counted as three points for a win. They are all multiplied by a coefficient of 4. Matches in the group stage and beyond are counted.

(*) Asterisked teams have been relegated from Champs League to Europa League and had their formulas adjusted to reflect the amount they have gained or lost in Europe since then.

Example: Manchester United

69 points from 31 Premier League games = 2.2258 points per game

Multiplied by league coefficient of 5 - 2.23 x 5 = 11.12

19 points from 8 Champions League game = 2.38 points per game.

Multiplied by Champions League coefficient of five - 2.38 x 5 = 11.88

Total score = 11.12 + 11.88 = 23.00

Eurosport

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_6049396,00.html

Park Ji-sung has revealed he snubbed the advice of former boss Gus Hiddink to join Manchester United.

The South Korean star was the hero on Sunday as his diving header sent the Red Devils top of the Premier League with a 2-1 win over arch-rivals Liverpool.

The Old Trafford success puts United in the box seat to land an unprecedented fourth straight league trophy and manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been keen to praise the 29-year-old, who also netted in the win at title rivals Arsenal in January.

"He is one of our most effective players and he has been for a long time," said Ferguson of Park, whose winner against the Reds reiterated his ability to rise to the big occasions.

"He doesn't make a fuss about it but I wouldn't like to be without him these days."

Betrayed
    Ferguson would have never had the chance to utilise Park's skills had Hiddink got his way over the Asian icon's future when he was in Holland.

The South Korea skipper's rise to prominence came from his time under the Dutchman at PSV Eindhoven but the former Kyoto Purple Sanga performer risked the wrath of his former boss by choosing to join United in 2005 for £4million.

"When I made my mind up for Manchester I felt that I had betrayed Hiddink," admitted Park, who followed his heart rather than Hiddink's counsel to stay in the Netherlands for another season.

"I knew that Hiddink wanted me to stay, so I found it difficult."

not great news about Rooney here, though id rather he didnt aggrivate any problem he has

Rooney was limping heavily as he left Old Trafford on Sunday after the victory over Liverpool, leading to suggestions that he might have aggravated the injury that has dogged him this month.

United’s players were given a day off on Tuesday, bar those reporting for treatment. Rooney was not among those seeking the attention of the club’s medical staff but with crucial gaes against Bayern Munich and Chelsea next week, it is understood that Sir Alex Ferguson is considering resting his 33-goal top scorer at the Reebok.

Related Articles
    Wayne Rooney raises fitness worries
    'Park not just bought to sell shirts in Far East'
    Neville: Beckham will be back ‘within a few months’
    Ferguson: Rooney to blame for injury
    Injury worry for Rooney and Fabregas
    Sport on television Ferguson has challenged his players to win all of their remaining games in order to secure the club’s 19th league championship.

Midfielder Paul Scholes admits that the game against Chelsea on April 3 is the one being viewed as the pivotal fixture within Old Trafford.

Scholes said: “The game against Chelsea next week is going to be massive and we need to win that one, but it’s not the only important match. To secure the title, we’ll probably need to win every game. It’s a tough task, but we can do it.”

Michael Owen, who underwent surgery to repair a detached hamstring on March 8, has confirmed that he will not be fit until pre-season training due to the severity of his injury.

Owen said: “I’m on crutches for six weeks and not allowed to do anything, so I am definitely out for the season.

“I’ll be back in a United jersey, though, because I’ve got another year left on my contract here and have the option of a third as well.”

then again there are other articles saying he will be playing so who knows

• Advertisement

and lastly a full article on mickey owen talking of extending his stay, guardian link wont open for me for some reason, again, so make do with goal

Michael Owen Eyeing New Deal At Manchester United
    Striker could stay for a third season...
    By Zack Wilson
    Mar 23, 2010 1:28:41 PM

Michael Owen has revealed that he could soon extend his stay at Old Trafford by signing a new contract which should keep him at Manchester United beyond the end of next season.

The 30-year-old's current deal expires at the conclusion of the 2010-11 season but the injury-prone forward is currently considering the possibility of a third season with the Red Devils.

"I'm just looking to next season now," said Owen, according to The Manchester Evening News.

"I've got another year left on my contract here and have the option of a third as well. I've had a great time at United and I am really looking forward to being back next season."

Meanwhile, Owen's recovery from his hamstring injury continues now that he has been ruled out for the rest of the season.

"I had the operation two weeks ago so I'm going to be on crutches for six weeks now," he explained.

"I'm not allowed to do anything on it for six weeks, so I am definitely out for the season."

The striker had netted nine goals in 34 appearances this season before sustaining the injury in the League Cup final win over Aston Villa at Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

9 goals in 34 appearances ,how many as Sub ,

Not bad for 3rd choice striker

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    9 goals in 34 appearances ,how many as Sub ,

Not bad for 3rd choice striker

he cant have started more the 11 or 12 games surely

he has played 90 minutes only a couple of times also i think

I am happy enough with his contribution this season, he got some important goals

goal against city means he has a lot of goodwill with me!

(against my better judgement ;))

also the goal in carling cup final.

for player bought on free we have be happy at what he done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Can I make a quick point about Valencia..

Do professional footballers work hard to make both their feet proficient? Valencia really needs to cause he can do absolutely nothing with his left foot and it's starting to become troublesome for him and the team. He has to cut back onto his right all the time and in doing so often runs into trouble and a few times he's found himself in space for a shot but because it's on his left he can do nothing except run into trouble to get back onto his right. I think professional footballers should at least be able to use their left in some capacity. I've NEVER seen him use it to strike a ball..in fact, Sunday I even saw him play a safe enough pass (with no opposition near him) with the outside of his right boot when anyone else would have used their left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Can I make a quick point about Valencia..

Do professional footballers work hard to make both their feet proficient? Valencia really needs to cause he can do absolutely nothing with his left foot and it's starting to become troublesome for him and the team. He has to cut back onto his right all the time and in doing so often runs into trouble and a few times he's found himself in space for a shot but because it's on his left he can do nothing except run into trouble to get back onto his right. I think professional footballers should at least be able to use their left in some capacity. I've NEVER seen him use it to strike a ball..in fact, Sunday I even saw him play a safe enough pass (with no opposition near him) with the outside of his right boot when anyone else would have used their left.

You do know he wil score a 30 yard cracker with his left foot this weekend now.

Valencia does use his left foot, very rarely, about once a month tbh :)

it is a problem, and i hope he does work on it, but it hasnt hurt the team yet so im ok with him

there are a couple of other very one footed players in the league also

baffles me tbh, cant understand how a professional footballer could be so advers to using his weaker foot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

killwill wrote: »
    You do know he wil score a 30 yard cracker with his left foot this weekend now.

I know for a fact that won't be happening.

kryogen wrote: »
    Valencia does use his left foot, very rarely, about once a month tbh :)

He must do an awful lot of hopping so.

• Advertisement

He must do an awful lot of hopping so.

pedant! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement