Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

kryogen wrote: »
    goal against city means he has a lot of goodwill with me!
    May go down as one of my favourite football moments of all time:
    I was in a pub in town watching that (across the road from Croker on All Ireland Final day), and in the dying seconds I announced to my mates:
    "Michael Owen will score in the next 30 seconds" and started to count out loud.
    I only got to 7.
    Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

any chance you can use that gift of yours in every game from now till the end of the season?

just substitute the name Owen, with Rooney, Berba etc.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

pedant! ;)

Is that like a biped with one leg?

Is that like a biped with one leg?

only you can answer that question

look within young padawan

only you can answer that question

look within young padawan

I'm a uni-pedantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'm a uni-pedantic.

Surely you mean a uni-pedant. ;):D

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Surely you mean a uni-pedant. ;):D

oh nicely spotted!

well played sir :D

I hate you guys.

cartman.jpg

mspaintlolz310.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

is it meant to be a joke?

they are from at most 3 separate conversations, having to repeat myself isnt the same as always saying it, and taking them out of context was just a hero move on your part

take this to pm if you wanna actually take your problem up seriously

(no its not a threat)

Lol you're great craic - I already said twice I didn't want to talk about it anymore and said PM me to discuss it further and you come along then and tell me to PM you if I want to discuss it anymore.

Another blatant snakey-balls attempt to force someone to let you have the last word. That's confirmed it for me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Can I make a quick point about Valencia..

Do professional footballers work hard to make both their feet proficient? Valencia really needs to cause he can do absolutely nothing with his left foot and it's starting to become troublesome for him and the team. He has to cut back onto his right all the time and in doing so often runs into trouble and a few times he's found himself in space for a shot but because it's on his left he can do nothing except run into trouble to get back onto his right. I think professional footballers should at least be able to use their left in some capacity. I've NEVER seen him use it to strike a ball..in fact, Sunday I even saw him play a safe enough pass (with no opposition near him) with the outside of his right boot when anyone else would have used their left.

Some players do, most don't.

Just look at one of the best wingers around - Giggs, his right foot is good for little more than standing most of the time - he does and can use it on occasion but to be fair it is rare. Most players are like this, their stronger foot is the one they use 99% of the time. Valencia can use his to control the ball and play passes - he does do this, but his crossing and shooting will be done with his right, same as it is for the vast majority of players. I think the reason you see it as an issue with Valencia is simply because of the type of player he is and the way he plays - he is pretty much all about getting crosses in so he will always be looking to get it on to his right in order to give himself the best chance of putting a good cross in. If he was a central midfielder I don't think his 'one footedness' would be seen all that much as it would simply be less of an issue (you don't see scholes spraying the ball around with his left much or taking shots but he is still freaking class)

Some players do, most don't.

Just look at one of the best wingers around - Giggs, his right foot is good for little more than standing most of the time - he does and can use it on occasion but to be fair it is rare. Most players are like this, their stronger foot is the one they use 99% of the time. Valencia can use his to control the ball and play passes - he does do this, but his crossing and shooting will be done with his right, same as it is for the vast majority of players. I think the reason you see it as an issue with Valencia is simply because of the type of player he is and the way he plays - he is pretty much all about getting crosses in so he will always be looking to get it on to his right in order to give himself the best chance of putting a good cross in. If he was a central midfielder I don't think his 'one footedness' would be seen all that much as it would simply be less of an issue (you don't see scholes spraying the ball around with his left much or taking shots but he is still freaking class)

I remember George Best used to go on about it and how it was disgraceful that players get paid so much in the modern game and can't even use both feet.

He kinda had a point tbh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

keane2097 wrote: »
    I remember George Best used to go on about it and how it was disgraceful that players get paid so much in the modern game and can't even use both feet.

Salary = increased abilty with two feet? I'd like to see that in graph form please.

He did yeah - i was actually going to mention him. Many managers and team mates of his day though commented on the fact he worked so hard to build up his technique and power with his left foot. So he has a point in that it really is something they should do, and something he himself did so he knows it can be done. However, it does seem his example really is something exceptional, rather than a norm from years back that has been lost.

Again, it would be nice for more pro's to be effective with their weaker foot, but it really isn't all that common. For instance, a player like Ronaldo is considered to be an exception in that he can and does use both feet effectively.

My main point is that Valencia is not being negligent in his duties to United (or Wigan previously) in not putting in the hard hours to improve his left foot, he isn't ignoring work other players are putting in, he is simply basically the same as 99% of footballers - mainly one footed. I think it is more his style of play that makes this noticable, rather than a lack of ability in relative terms to his fellow pro's.

He did yeah - i was actually going to mention him. Many managers and team mates of his day though commented on the fact he worked so hard to build up his technique and power with his left foot. So he has a point in that it really is something they should do, and something he himself did so he knows it can be done. However, it does seem his example really is something exceptional, rather than a norm from years back that has been lost.

Again, it would be nice for more pro's to be effective with their weaker foot, but it really isn't all that common. For instance, a player like Ronaldo is considered to be an exception in that he can and does use both feet effectively.

My main point is that Valencia is not being negligent in his duties to United (or Wigan previously) in not putting in the hard hours to improve his left foot, he isn't ignoring work other players are putting in, he is simply basically the same as 99% of footballers - mainly one footed. I think it is more his style of play that makes this noticable, rather than a lack of ability in relative terms to his fellow pro's.

I wasn't saying Valencia is being negligent, I was making a more general point that players ought to work harder to justify their enormous wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

David Beckham anyone?

He uses his left the ODD time, but his right foot was leathal. Most players work on the weaknesses, he stayed behind to work on what he was good at.

I'd say Valencia is the same. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

any chance you can use that gift of yours in every game from now till the end of the season?

just substitute the name Owen, with the Bulldog, the Skunk, etc.. :)

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

nicklauski wrote: »
    David Beckham anyone?

He uses his left the ODD time, but his right foot was leathal. Most players work on the weaknesses, he stayed behind to work on what he was good at.

I'd say Valencia is the same. :D

Fair point but wonder how many chances he fluffed with his left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

In fairness he fluffed a few with his right too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Giggs is useless with his right aswell,Ronaldo is considered two footedyet Valencia has delivered more noticeable crosses since he joined than Ronnie did during his 5/6 years.

I dont think practicing at this age will strengten his left foot enough unless he doesnt use the right for a long period which is unworkable. Plus when Becks was here the ball was played out to him to cross all the time. The left footed Giggs mainly ran at the right back.

anyone know if TV3 stream the CL games they have on their site? Remember watching the Liverpool Europa game on the 3e site a couple of weeks back. Just remembered I am working lates next week so won't be home to watch the Bayern game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

anyone know if TV3 stream the CL games they have on their site? Remember watching the Liverpool Europa game on the 3e site a couple of weeks back. Just remembered I am working lates next week so won't be home to watch the Bayern game.

*cough* *sniffle* *cough* *sniffle*

Jesus thats a terrible dose you are coming down with there Mitch, ya might want get that checked, sounds like you will be holed up in bed by emm lets say next Tuesday of ya don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

TonyD79 wrote: »
    ,Ronaldo is considered two footedyet Valencia has delivered more noticeable crosses since he joined than Ronnie did during his 5/6 years.

What a rubbish statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Vanbis wrote: »

Yeah, ronaldo is an excellent crosser, with both feet. I don't even see the point being made there.

Ronaldo is the exception though isnt he, he puts in so much work to make himself effective with both feet

Messi anyone? very predominantly left footed

Messi anyone? very predominantly left footed

Messi sprung to mind but he doesnt need his right foot, the man is pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Messi sprung to mind but he doesnt need his right foot, the man is pure class.

Aye, thats the point really. If you're good enough with one foot why bother with the other?

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Aye, thats the point really. If you're good enough with one foot why bother with the other?

Lets be honest Valencia could be alot better if he used his left foot. I think at times he is to predicable but with his pace and strenght he gets away with it.

You would think at a club like Manutd they would encourge and push him to use his left foot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Times must be good when all we can do is have a go at Valencia for not using both feet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

You would thinkthe philosophy would be - if it ain't broke...

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Times must be good when all we can do is have a go at Valencia for not using both feet.

Carrick yesterday, Valencia today and who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Carrick yesterday, Valencia today and who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Rooney is ****

Discuss

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Rooney is ****

Discuss
    Rooney needs to start scoring with his feet. It's a joke that at this stage of his career he's relying too heavily on his heading ability.

Rooney is ****

Discuss

he's not as good as Messi, so yeah, he is ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rooney is ****

Discuss
    He's the one thats for sure

Headshot wrote: »
    He's the one thats for sure

wtf are you on about.

THIS is the one:

Mame_Biram_Diouf_738894i.jpg
    :rolleyes:

wtf are you on about.

THIS is the one:

I really hate this the one ****. Dunno why but it just really annoys me

wtf are you on about.

THIS is the one:

Mame_Biram_Diouf_738894i.jpg
    I was trying to say the one is better, mame is just waiting to strike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I really hate this the one ****. Dunno why but it just really annoys me
    Easily irritated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

He has been very effective this season in the last couple of months his link up play with Berbatov and Rooney has been excellent but he could add a lot more to his game if he used his left foot a bit more.

I think it was West Ham at home where he played a one two and when he got into the box he hit it with his left foot the keeper spilled it and there was a bit of a scramble in the box. We didn't score from it but it caused a few problems id like to see him to that more often. I don't mind him him being very reliant on his right side i just want to see him have a go with the left when its the best option.

Dave! wrote: »
    Easily irritated?

ARE YOU ****ING STARTING TOO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ha, Valencia bashing.

you guys are bored.

basically people want Ronaldo it seems.

you get the out and out winger you needed, and you moan about him not being able to cut inside and hit with his left.

listen, as I've said before in here, Valencia could tell 90% of LBs what he's going to do and they won't be able to stop it if he's on his game.

luckily for you one 5% is Evra, and the other 5% is currently injured on the blue side of London.

i love val, delighted at his progress at utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

SlickRic wrote: »
    ha, Valencia bashing.

you guys are bored.

basically people want Ronaldo it seems.

you get the out and out winger you needed, and you moan about him not being able to cut inside and hit with his left.

listen, as I've said before in here, Valencia could tell 90% of LBs what he's going to do and they won't be able to stop it if he's on his game.

luckily for you one 5% is Evra, and the other 5% is currently injured on the blue side of London.

Is called nit picking when you are top of the league, and progressing in the CL its pretty much all we can do. Life is good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Headshot wrote: »
    i love val, delighted at his progress at utd.

Agreed, wasnt sure about him at the start but I'm warming to him more and more as season goes on.

Valencia has been unreal for us tbh - I'd be amazed to hear anyone complain about him really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Valencia has been unreal for us tbh - I'd be amazed to hear anyone complain about him really.

Anyone other than flahavaj that is. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Not saying he isnt a good crosser of the ball but he didnt cross very often in general play when he was doing the step overs & scoring 42 goals. Im sure Valencia would murder him in the ol opta stats for delivering crosses in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He's played well the last few games after nani took his place for a while. He's been ok up to that considering he's new and needed to settle but nothing more than that really.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement