Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Kiko strikes again Eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

they call him kiko................

get in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

the boy kiko! real strikers instinct thats what i like to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Similar in a way to rooneys yesterday :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Did they win?

Did they win?

sure did 1-0

beat a very experienced bolton team with alot of 1st teamers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

fair play for the stream, where did you find it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Is the goal worth searching for?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

kmart6 wrote: »
    Is the goal worth searching for?!

i actually say yes, was a great goal, like i said before a real strikers goal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Headshot wrote: »
    sure did 1-0

beat a very experienced bolton team with alot of 1st teamers

Thanks.
    Raging I missed it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

kranjcar for utd!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

mink_man wrote: »
    kranjcar for utd!!!

I look forward to you posting this again in a couple of days time....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

mink_man wrote: »
    kranjcar for utd!!!

Would you please just give over!!!

There i asked nicely :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Missed the game but glad to hear we won... Great result :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Does anyone know the latest on Nani?

• Advertisement

Sorry just had a look, no news :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm sure him coming off at the weekend was just precautionary. If it was in any way serious we probably would have heard about it by now.

Thanks Angel01, he is looking good this year, hopefully he is available more. He still has to find that final ball part of his game, but it took Ronaldo a few years too so hopefully it won't be too far off.

I think this year could be his year and he can step up, there have been signs, if he just becomes consistant and can give that final ball, I will be happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So people, what do we think, in 6-8 weeks time (or whenever) will VDS be our first choice keeper?

Foster has a lot to do, but he seemed at ease over the weekend, obviously he's going to come up against tougher opponents but he looked very relaxed and took everything in his stride, he didn't put one foot wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think if Foster proves himself in the time that VDS is out for, that he would keep his place. I don't think Fergie will drop him for VDS arbitrarily - he will only be dropped if he deserves to be, I reckon.

I think Foster has looked comfortable but obviously he will face better opposition in the future. I think we need to look at a replacement for VDS anyway as he can't continue forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He has a shoulder now like Mel Gibson in lethal weapon, eventually he will need surgery if he doesn't rest it properly.

He rushed back too soon.

Boggles wrote: »
    He has a shoulder now like Mel Gibson in lethal weapon, eventually he will need surgery if he doesn't rest it properly.

He rushed back too soon.

I thought that, he even played in the Portugal game I heard which was silly. As for Foster, his kicking still was not great on Sunday and he needs to work on that part of his game but his shot stopping is as good as your gonna get. He got lost with one cross into the box and it could have been dangerous but overall he put in a decent performance.

So people, what do we think, in 6-8 weeks time (or whenever) will VDS be our first choice keeper?

Foster has a lot to do, but he seemed at ease over the weekend, obviously he's going to come up against tougher opponents but he looked very relaxed and took everything in his stride, he didn't put one foot wrong.

VDS is still our number one for me. Foster was solid on sunday but he had a few hairy moments in pre season and the charity shield, His kicking needs to improve as well. May be he will be ready to take over as number 1 next year.

Any time the ball went anywhere near Foster on Sunday I cringed.

Fergie needs to address the goal keeping situation next summer, and seriously address it to the tune of 20 million if he has to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The Muppet wrote: »
    VDS is still our number one for me. Foster was solid on sunday but he had a few hairy moments in pre season and the charity shield, His kicking needs to improve as well. May be he will be ready to take over as number 1 next year.

The problem being I don't see there being much difference between this year and next year unless he plays enough this year.

This is his chance now, if he doesn't take it I don't think he will ever be Uniteds number 1.

One league game down and he looked decent. Hopefully that gives him some confidence to build on for the next few weeks. You have to remember at the moment he is playing in front of a very patched up defense as well. His kicking needs to improve, but I think he needs to be a bit more vocal as well. I think that will come when he feels more apart of the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Its like Bosnich all over again with Foster's kicking. God, remember how bad his kicks were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I hope that Foster stakes a serious claim for number 1 this year. He looked confident on Sunday, granted his kicking is still a bit dodgy, but he has a beast of a boot on him when he gets it right!

Nice to hear Kiko getting on the scoresheet last night. I seen the Bolton line up and it was a great result for the youngsters.

Hopefully get the match in tomorrow night, have a poxy party (which I dont want to be at :D ) to go to so hopefully can get out uber early and get the second half in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Liam O wrote: »
    not trying to be a prick but can you please stop referring to us as that.

Us?

Meh, it's just used out of convenience, I hate using the word "us", cos frankly...well, see above.

• Advertisement

It is really difficult to get a really good keeper and over the years, this has proved difficult to get someone that we can rely on. PIG's kicking is shocking, Fosters is average to me. I am not sure if Foster can be the number 1. I think we could possibly do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Any time the ball went anywhere near Foster on Sunday I cringed.

Fergie needs to address the goal keeping situation next summer, and seriously address it to the tune of 20 million if he has to!

Me too but that can hardly be his fault in fairness. I'm still not anywhere near convinced but at least he's been given his chance now. I don't see him keeping VDS out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Foster is not good enough to be United's number One. Not good enough by a mile.

Des wrote: »
    Foster is not good enough to be United's number One. Not good enough by a mile.

Des, do you think Fergie would have held onto him for as long as he has, if he didnt think he could be the next number one.

Im not attacking you here, Im just asking honestly. Even after his injuries and loan spells I'm sure some one wanted him full time and Fergie has kept him.

Just a thought ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

nicklauski wrote: »
    Des, do you think Fergie would have held onto him for as long as he has, if he didnt think he could be the next number one.

Im not attacking you here, Im just asking honestly. Even after his injuries and loan spells I'm sure some one wanted him full time and Fergie has kept him.

Just a thought ;)

Well what where Fergies options?

1) Sell him without adequate cover?

2) Hold onto him as a reasonable back-up to VDS, and try and sign a world-class keeper before VDS comes to the end of his tenure?

3)???

Foster is a decent back up keeper at the moment. In a few years with a bit of maturity and experience he could be a top-class keeper. You only have to look at the likes of David James and Manuel Almunia to see keepers who have become consistently better as they age.

Foster isn't good enough to be No1 for United at the moment (or at least he shouldn't be considered good enough) the big issue with keepers is that there are so few of them in comparison to other positions.

In the premier league I'd only really consider Reina, Cech & VDS to be truly world-class.

You've then got a second tier of Given, James, Almunia, Friedal & Cudicini (although he never seems to play, maybe Gomes too) and then a 3rd tier of everyone else. IMO Foster wouldn't even be top of the 3rd tier at the moment.

Ideally you'd like a Buffon or Casillas to come into the team. Given that it's very unlikely to happen I'd like to see us go for someone like Mandanda or Sebastian Frey, who although a little mad in the head is a keeper I really like.

Failing that we could take the football manager route and sign Ustari from Getafe or Ochoa from Americá :D

Iago wrote: »

2) Hold onto him as a reasonable back-up to VDS, and try and sign a world-class keeper before VDS comes to the end of his tenure?

3)???

Foster is a decent back up keeper at the moment. In a few years with a bit of maturity and experience he could be a top-class keeper. You only have to look at the likes of David James and Manuel Almunia to see keepers who have become consistently better as they age.

Foster isn't good enough to be No1 for United at the moment (or at least he shouldn't be considered good enough) the big issue with keepers is that there are so few of them in comparison to other positions.

In the premier league I'd only really consider Reina, Cech & VDS to be truly world-class.

You've then got a second tier of Given, James, Almunia, Friedal & Cudicini (although he never seems to play, maybe Gomes too) and then a 3rd tier of everyone else. IMO Foster wouldn't even be top of the 3rd tier at the moment.

Ideally you'd like a Buffon or Casillas to come into the team. Given that it's very unlikely to happen I'd like to see us go for someone like Mandanda or Sebastian Frey, who although a little mad in the head is a keeper I really like.

Failing that we could take the football manager route and sign Ustari from Getafe or Ochoa from Americá :D

Great post Iago, you should be a mod here ;)

3)???

You left out Schwarzer, best keeper in the league last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

20 million, and buy which keeper?

4 years Foster is with United.

I think if Fergie was going to sign a keeper to replace VDS he would have done so by now.

I think Foster can become one of the best keepers in the league if he's given a good run in the team and I hope he does.

• Advertisement

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

Buffon, will have less than 2 years left on his contract next summer.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

Neuer

We're supposed to be tracking him according to the newspapers

Headshot wrote: »
    Neuer

We're supposed to be tracking him according to the newspapers

:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Neuer
    euer's hero and idol as a child was fellow German and former Schalke goalkeeper Jens Lehmann

Nutball.

Great 'keeper though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Buffon, will have less than 2 years left on his contract next summer.

He's not worth the amount it would take to get him anymore, he is not as good as he used to be in my opinion and there are better options out there. Frey would be a cheaper and better option imo and is 2 years younger.

nicklauski wrote: »

I think if Fergie was going to sign a keeper to replace VDS he would have done so by now.

I think Foster can become one of the best keepers in the league if he's given a good run in the team and I hope he does.

There is no need to replace VDS until he retires or his form dips. Until now he has been excellent and it's very difficult to keep 2 top keepers happy in the one team.

I hope Foster makes the grade too, he shows flashes of excellence but there are also appears to be some flaws in his game, hopefully he can iron them out but it is unlikely he will get much time to do that in the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Des wrote: »
    :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Neuer

Nutball.

Great 'keeper though

Schmeichel wasn't exact an advert for sanity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You've then got a second tier of Given, James, Almunia, Friedal & Cudicini (although he never seems to play, maybe Gomes too) and then a 3rd tier of everyone else.
    Cech and VDS aren't world class imo. They both make too many errors to be called world class. I'd have Schwarzer and Given ahead of both of them.

There is no need to replace VDS until he retires or his form dips. Until now he has been excellent and it's very difficult to keep 2 top keepers happy in the one team.

I hope Foster makes the grade too, he shows flashes of excellence but there are also appears to be some flaws in his game, hopefully he can iron them out but it is unlikely he will get much time to do that in the first team.

Personally, I would be looking at replacing VDS this season, in anticipation of him retiring in the summer. I would prefer to know now if Foster has what it takes, rather than (potentially) wait til next season when we won't have VDS to come in should it go pear shaped.

If we find out this season that Foster isn't good enough, then we can spend the second half of the season looking for a new keeper and playing VDS in nets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

There is no need to replace VDS until he retires or his form dips.

I dont see the logic in this, waiting until he retires/form dips would be a huge oversight.

Fergie needs to be proactive with this, not reactive. I'd much rather he had a replacement bought and settled in before VDS retires which I think is what he is trying to do with Foster. Failing that, I'd prefer he had an experienced keeper lined up and 100% guaranteed to come to United (be it in some sort of pre contract agreement or what ever). I don't think he should scrimp on this purchase either.

He wasnt exactly proactive when Schmeichal retired. He wasn't exactly proactive when Keane retired. I know United had certain levels of success after both those players retired but I think that as the exception and not the rule.

I dont see the logic in this, waiting until he retires/form dips would be a huge oversight.

Fergie needs to be proactive with this, not reactive. I'd much rather he had a replacement bought and settled in before VDS retires which I think is what he is trying to do with Foster. Failing that, I'd prefer he had an experienced keeper lined up and 100% guaranteed to come to United (be it in some sort of pre contract agreement or what ever). I don't think he should scrimp on this purchase either.

He wasnt exactly proactive when Schmeichal retired. He wasn't exactly proactive when Keane retired. I know United had certain levels of success after both those players retired but I think that as the exception and not the rule.
    Incorrect on the Schmeichel issue.

He was too proactive. He signed Bosnich on a pre-contract before Van Der Saar became available that summer.

Fergie has said himself that if he had waited he would have gone for VDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Incorrect on the Schmeichel issue.

He was too proactive. He signed Bosnich on a pre-contract before Van Der Saar became available that summer.

Fergie has said himself that if he had waited he would have gone for VDS.

Yeah, thats true actually. Principle still stands though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement