Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,457 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The Muppet wrote: »
    Like a head shop.

You can add Howard to your list of player we have sold them.
    oh yeah, forgot about him, wish we'd have kept him :( Never thought he was all that bad when he was here, he had a great first season anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

id agree that if be surprised if either club did anything to damage the relationship they have, especially when you consider how young Rodwell is, its hardly like we would be tapping up an established World Class player, so would it really be worth damaging relations over a player who could still go either way imo

we consistently get linked to him becuase he is young, english and possibly the type of player we will need now or in a couple of years, couple that with the fact that we do have a good business relationship with Everton and you have got yourself an easy rumour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Liam O wrote: »
    oh yeah, forgot about him, wish we'd have kept him :( Never thought he was all that bad when he was here, he had a great first season anyway.

I don't know why he was sold, he'd be a good player to have in the United squad, Maybe Fergie didn't like Howard cursing at him :D

he didnt really handle the pressure well apparently

shame though, he turned into a very good keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Fergies rage about the Porto goal I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Fergies rage about the Porto goal I think

That's the big one too i think. I think after that match he was gone in Fergie's mind.

not necesarily though, very hard to blame Howard for that result tbh, well its probably easy to have him as the scapegoat but its harsh to blame us going out on him imo

all the noises i heard coming out of OT at the time were about him lacking a little confidence and not being able to cope with the pressure of being at such a high profile club

i think it was a shame cause he has alot of ability as a goal keeper , wouldnt swap VDS for him at the time, but if he had been able to cut it at the club the position would have been solved for 10-12 years

Analysis: If Manchester United Fail To Win Champions League And Premier League This Year, Will It Be Time To Replace The Veterans?
    Elderly spine of United's team comes under the spotlight

Matt Monaghan
    25-Mar-2010 3:34:00 PM

In a sport that places an emphasis on youth and speed, Sir Alex Ferguson has still kept faith in 35-year-olds Gary Neville and Paul Scholes, as well as Ryan Giggs, who turned 36 in November. This trio are all over a decade older than Wayne Rooney, Antonio Valencia and Nani.

The hands of time don’t stop for anyone, however, and question-marks exist about the veterans' ability to compete at the top table again next year if they ink the one-year contract extensions handed to them.

With Rio Ferdinand, Park Ji-sung, Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic all 28 or older, a failure to secure either Champions League or Premier League glory could lead to barbs about the age of the squad.

Indeed, for the meeting with AC Milan, widely considered the team most in need of an injection of younger players, the average age of the Italians at 28.8 was only 0.4 higher than that of United’s.

Former Red Devil Lee Sharpe, 38, was a player at the club when he witnessed the first-team debuts of Giggs, Scholes and Gary Neville. He competed with Giggs for the left-wing spot and has nothing but praise for his achievements.

He said: “Nothing surprises me about Ryan Giggs. He has been superb again this year and is still such an important player for the club.

“To still see him playing at the highest level and sweeping up the awards is a sign of his dedication. He always looked after himself and that shows now.”

As United have swept all before them in recent years, close rivals Chelsea have been criticised for becoming too long in the tooth. Those barbs were out again as they were dumped out of the Champions League by Inter Milan.

Goal.com UK Chelsea correspondent Alex Dimond acknowledged the age of the United squad, but noted that their mentality to lift trophies puts them above their London counterparts.

“I think Manchester United do risk falling into that particular trap in the next year or two, but the real decisive problem for Chelsea recently has been that the likes of Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and John Terry have more historic experience of big game defeats than victories,” Dimond said.

“It would make sense for Sir Alex to go out and buy players he believes can replace the old guard but only consider fully replacing those veterans when the silverware actually begins disappearing.”

Andy Mitten, who started the United We Stand fanzine sold outside Old Trafford since 1989, has written for FourFourTwo magazine for 10 years and has a column in The Manchester Evening News. He believes space can still be found for Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes as long as a gradual influx of young players supplements them.

He said: “I think Sir Alex will look at each case individually and judge whether that player can be useful to him next season. Gary Neville might not get a new contract, but Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs have both been excellent this season.

“It won’t matter if United don’t sweep up the trophies this season. This summer he will still buy a few young players to make gradual changes at the club, but you have to have players like Giggs around.

“Ferguson won’t let United get too old, he won’t let it happen. He can make very difficult decisions when he needs to and can be very cynical.

“All the talk in pre-season was about Ben Foster beating Edwin Van der Sar. Foster performed badly when given his chance, and now Van der Sar looks better than ever in net. Even though he is 39.”

Ken Montgomery was the chief football writer for The Sunday Mirror for 30 years and is now the executive secretary of the Football Writers’ Association. He is convinced Ferguson will never hand out contracts as charity, and that the elder statesmen merit their place next season.

“You cannot buy experience in football. I don’t think Sir Alex would give the players another year if he didn’t think they are useful,” Montgomery said.

“Gary Nevile in particular has impressed in the last month and now there are calls he could be back in the England squad. No matter what happens until the end of the season, their experience will be vital in the future.”

raises some worthy points i guess

Wayne Rooney fails to train for Manchester United ahead of Bolton trip

by Will Swanson. Published Thu 25 Mar 2010 10:11, Last updated: 2010-03-25

Wayne Rooney fails to train for Manchester United ahead of Bolton trip According to reports, injury concerns are increasing for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney as they prepare for their clash with Bolton Wanderers at the weekend.

The Independent says Wayne Rooney has not trained at Manchester United since Sunday's win over Liverpool.

The paper claims the striker may still be troubled by the knee problems which have been affecting him for nearly a month.

Rooney was seen limping heavily as he walked around the Old Trafford touchline an hour after Sunday's win against Liverpool.

Although he did not need medical treatment on Monday, he missed training sessions on Tuesday and yesterday and seems unlikely to play for United at Bolton on Saturday lunchtime.

:(

Rooney knee worry for United
    March 25 2010 at 09:19AM Get IOL on your
    mobile at m.iol.co.za

Manchester - Manchester United will not take any risks on the fitness of Wayne Rooney in their quest for Premier League and Champions League glory.

Rooney produced another fine goalscoring performance for United on Saturday in their 2-1 victory over Liverpool at Old Trafford, but the striker limped off, causing concern for both club and country.

It is widely regarded that England have a chance of glory in the World Cup finals in South Africa, but only if Rooney is fit.

There are fears at United, which will worry England coach Fabio Capello, that Rooney's niggling knee injury is getting worse.

That being the case, Sir Alex Ferguson may opt to rest the striker for this Saturday's Premier League clash away to Bolton Wanderers.
    Continues Below ↓

With a Champions League quarterfinal against Bayern Munich coming up and a potential title decider with Chelsea on the horizon, United will want to make sure Rooney is available for those clashes.

The former Everton ace is in the form of his life and cannot stop scoring, having hit 33 goals this season. He is well on course to beat the 42 goals scored by Cristiano Ronaldo two seasons ago.

Meanwhile, Darren Fletcher, who was so influential in United's victory over Liverpool, believes the Old Trafford fans can play a major role in the club's quest for a 19th league title.

The atmosphere at the Theatre of Dreams has often been criticised but there was plenty of noise at the weekend.

Fletcher said: "The fans have been through it so many times before as well, and they understand about patience in games and when to get behind the team. They can play a big part between now and May.

"This club's all about breaking records and setting the standard, so we want to make it four titles in a row. That would be our 19th overall. It would be a great achievement to have won the most championships in English football." - The Independent

more of the same really

• Advertisement

Mr Alan linked this on another thread, its where the Rodwell rumours from last night came from apparently

http://forum.raotl.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153384

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

United fans believe everyone secretly wants to go there, especially when any interest has been shown. They don't need encouragement, plus would Moyes bring him on after supposedly just finding out that he had been meeting with another clubs representatives?

He has been immense when he's been brought on in the big games recently, he offers so much skill going forward it seems slightly perverse that many times its been mentioned that he may be moving backwards. Long term with Jagielka, Heitinga and Fellaini, I can't see him being restrained to defensive duties. He can do that as well later in the game or when needed.

Earlier in the season he was playing every game and often in important roles with responsibility. Now we've got many of them back, he's been freed up to be more creative. It does make you think what it'll be like, when Fellaini finds that form and when Billy is more settled and involved.

Moyesy said he picked up an hamstring strain in training Tuesday and was a bit surprised at him galloping along down the line like that, but he's been on the bench for a few games now so its not like he's been dropped or anything is it.

But I've got a mate who's a United fan and he keeps telling me that Rodwell is there player next season aswell, and he seems to think for between 8-10 million, but he ain't got a clue, i don't think he's going anywhere but if he was to go it would be for more than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I initially thought Rodwell would end up as a Rio-type CB, but the level of ability he has shown in the final third of the pitch in recent weeks makes me think he is too talented to be held back. His finishing is good, his ball control, passing and vision too look good, and what age is he? 18? 19? He could go on to be a world class box to box midfielder. I would like to see him snagged up the way Smalling (who isnt filling me with confidence at Fulham) was.

have people on here said he obviously secretly wants to join us?

read the posts, when it came up last night it was approached with skepticism tbf

dont appreciate the insinuation actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm having trouble reading your articles kryogen, can you italicize them please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Voltwad wrote: »
    United fans believe everyone secretly wants to go there, especially when any interest has been shown.

Nice start to your post - generalise and insult.

Read any thread or comments on foreign based players such as Villa, Silva, Benzema, Ribery etc - no one says that want to join United. We say there is a chance we could get them, not that we are a first choice for them.

But go on, continue having a go at United fans. off you pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He's exactly the type of player we seem to like to pick up over the last few years.

Has been extremely impressive any time I've seen him so I'd love to see him signed.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I initially thought Rodwell would end up as a Rio-type CB, but the level of ability he has shown in the final third of the pitch in recent weeks makes me think he is too talented to be held back. His finishing is good, his ball control, passing and vision too look good, and what age is he? 18? 19? He could go on to be a world class box to box midfielder. I would like to see him snagged up the way Smalling (who isnt filling me with confidence at Fulham) was.

aye, the same re: Smalling, every time i see him, he seems to be making errors, he is young of course and does have potential, hopefully he can realise it at the club

on Rodwell, his being English would make him more appealing also with the rules on that gonna get stricter in the future, he obviously has bags of potential also and if they do come to an agreement, for not ridiculous money (!) it could be a great piece of business

Wouldnt see Moyes letting him go so easy tbh, and the lad hasnt exactly come out and said he wants to join either, i reckon its just paper talk for the most part

kryogen wrote: »
    have people on here said he obviously secretly wants to join us?

read the posts, when it came up last night it was approached with skepticism tbf

dont appreciate the insinuation actually
    Should've said a lot of United fans, apologies.

Should've said a lot of United fans, apologies.

you're still talking rubbish. You won't find a lot of United fans saying foreign players have United as a first choice. Domestic based players would be different, there would be a perception that United would be seen as one of the very best to play for in the minds of English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish players minds - along with Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

raises some worthy points i guess

Giggs Scholes and Neville are still in the team on merit , Neville is the one most likely to go but he is playing well at the moment, he made the run to give Valencia the space for his cross on Sunday, I think all 3 will be there next season and don't have a problem with it.

I'm also sure Fergie has his plans for their eventual replacements in place. which will be difficult.

you're still talking rubbish. You won't find a lot of United fans saying foreign players have United as a first choice. Domestic based players would be different, there would be a perception that United would be seen as one of the very best to play for in the minds of English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish players minds - along with Liverpool.
    I'm sure you know supporters of other clubs that think the sun shines out of their arses as well. Personal experience the last while are things like "Ah nothing but our feeder club" or "Nice job keeping Rodwell warm for us".

no problem at all with them being there next season, and i think for the most part replacements have been brought in, some havent hit the high's yet and some have shown plenty of promise

cant imagine Fergie being sentimental tbh, he never has been in the past

I'm sure you know supporters of other clubs that think the sun shines out of their arses as well. Personal experience the last while are things like "Ah nothing but our feeder club" or "Nice job keeping Rodwell warm for us".[/QUOTE]

has this been on here?

I'm sure you know supporters of other clubs that think the sun shines out of their arses as well. Personal experience the last while are things like "Ah nothing but our feeder club" or "Nice job keeping Rodwell warm for us".[/QUOTE]

has this been on here?
    Didn't say it was and also apologized for making a generalisation. What more do you want from me? (Apart from Rodwell :pac:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm sure you know supporters of other clubs that think the sun shines out of their arses as well. Personal experience the last while are things like "Ah nothing but our feeder club" or "Nice job keeping Rodwell warm for us".
    Please quote said posts if you've found them in these parts.

Didn't say it was and also apologized for making a generalisation. What more do you want from me? (Apart from Rodwell :pac:)

just wanted clarification

hmmm, well if you are offering i wouldnt mind Arteta? maybe Fellani?

Please quote said posts if you've found them in these parts.

Does it need to be in these parts? He said United fans (in general) not just the ones on here - and we are a more intelligent bunch on here so we are to be sure.;):p

ManUtd.com
    Owen Hargreaves will start full training with United's first team, and Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to get the 29-year-old involved in the title run-in.

Hargreaves pulled on the red shirt for the first time in 18 months for United's Reserves' 2-0 win over Burnley last week, but he will not line up against the Clarets again tonight for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side.

Instead, Sir Alex wants to get the midfielder involved more with the first team and hopefully back into action again soon.

"Owen won't play for the Reserves tonight," the boss told ManUtd.com on Thursday morning.

"He’s going to be training with the first team and we’ll see where that takes him. We’re keen to get him back involved because he’s an experienced player and will be a valuable addition for us in the run-in, when having a strong, fit squad is vital."

It's a significant step for Hargreaves, who has not played first-team football since September 2008 after undergoing double knee surgery to cure a tendonitis problem.

The Reds midfielder was not registered to play in the Champions League knockout rounds, but if his step up in training with the first team is successful then he could be available for United's remaining league fixtures.

Not playing tonight being billed as good news. I'm dubious about that to be honest - he won't be involved vs Bolton at the weekend, nor Munich on Tuesday, so there really isn't a good reason for him not to be involved for the reserve side tonight. He needs the match practice imo, so I am unconvinced that his non-inclusion tonight is a good thing or a sign that he is progressing positively.

gotta say i agree Mitch, cant see what would be negative about him getting another run out in the reserves, i mean he is going to have to play some reserve games before he will be ready for first team action anyway

Maybe i am being too negative, but him being pulled from a game he could have gotten some real match practise in to do some more training doesnt inspire confidence in me

And with all the articles recently about how he still has pain and all that

i dunno

• Advertisement

gotta say i agree Mitch, cant see what would be negative about him getting another run out in the reserves, i mean he is going to have to play some reserve games before he will be ready for first team action anyway

Maybe i am being too negative, but him being pulled from a game he could have gotten some real match practise in to do some more training doesnt inspire confidence in me

i dunno
    not sure how to react to the pain issue really. I'm not sure if it is an actual issue.

It could simply be that his knees will always be sore when playing football - but if his knee isn't becoming worse or more damaged then it is just a case of managing the pain so that he can play. It really depends on what is causing the pain, and what is may signify.

yeah, just the CT part of the brain is telling me, maybe they are putting out the stories that he may never be pain free to soften up the blow when he announces he has to retire unable to make a full recover due to the chronic pain that is not responding to injections :)

I guess we should all just wait and see anyway, try not to jump to conclusions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

aye, the same re: Smalling, every time i see him, he seems to be making errors, he is young of course and does have potential, hopefully he can realise it at the club

In fairness to Smalling this is his first season in the Premier League and has made a big step in short space of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Will be slightly worried for Hargreaves if he isn't included in the squad for the weekend. I know it's a long shot.
    If anything he should be playing tonight. Even 60 mins tonight would have been great for him.

nicklauski wrote: »
    Will be slightly worried for Hargreaves if he isn't included in the squad for the weekend. I know it's a long shot.
    If anything he should be playing tonight. Even 60 mins tonight would have been great for him.

After reading he will need injections to cope with the pain it would make you wonder if he will ever get back to the level he was at before this all started.

It will be interesting to see how many minutes he gets tonight for the reserves. I still think its a bit early for the first team return but you never know. I wonder if SAF regrets not including him in the Champions league squad?

Also in regards to the Rodwell story i would say it is all crap to be honest. I can't imagnine Kenright going behind Moyes back and letting Rodwell talk to Manutd about a summer move.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Not playing tonight being billed as good news.
    but him being pulled from a game
    If anything he should be playing tonight.
    Vanbis wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how many minutes he gets tonight for the reserves.

Ummmm.....

• Advertisement

After reading he will need injections to cope with the pain it would make you wonder if he will ever get back to the level he was at before this all started.

It will be interesting to see how many minutes he gets tonight for the reserves. I still think its a bit early for the first team return but you never know. I wonder if SAF regrets not including him in the Champions league squad?

Also in regards to the Rodwell story i would say it is all crap to be honest. I can't imagnine Kenright going behind Moyes back and letting Rodwell talk to Manutd about a summer move.

He's not playing tonight though. Fergie said he pulled him out so he could train with the firsts.
    Pointless. He SHOULD be playing tonight.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Giggs Scholes and Neville are still in the team on merit , Neville is the one most likely to go but he is playing well at the moment, he made the run to give Valencia the space for his cross on Sunday, I think all 3 will be there next season and don't have a problem with it.

I agree strongly with this.

Neville has been the source of constant derision from many here and elsewhere dispite having played very well over the last few weeks imo.

There's a chance that this pain is the reason why he's being kept out of reserve games perhaps...

Maybe they'll wait till he approaches full fitness through first-team training to put him through the pain of Reserve games.

Wishful thinking perhaps...

He's not playing tonight though. Fergie said he pulled him out so he could train with the firsts.
    Pointless. He SHOULD be playing tonight.

Oh i didn't know that, not really good news. Its strange not even to give him 45minutes. I wonder if they plan on including him in the first team squad for saturday?

We may hear more about it from the press conference in the morning.

I wonder if they plan on including him in the first team squad for saturday?

To my mind that would be the only way him not playing for the reserves tonight could be turned into a positive, but I can't see it happening tbh.

Fingers crossed all the same.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    To my mind that would be the only way him not playing for the reserves tonight could be turned into a positive, but I can't see it happening tbh.

Fingers crossed all the same.

I agree, hopefully he is included. I wouldnt be surprised if SAF has him in mind for the Chelsea game on April 3rd.

Even if he came off the bench for the last ten minutes of the game at the weekend would be great. Get him a bit of confidence and let him kick on from there.

But as was said, fingers crossed.

When does the squad get announced?

Even if he came off the bench for the last ten minutes of the game at the weekend would be great. Get him a bit of confidence and let him kick on from there.

I would say that is exactly what SAF has in mind for him.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    When does the squad get announced?

Not sure but i would assume tomorrow at press conference we may hear a bit of news about the team for Bolton. I hope he doesnt go making wholesale changes either. Always a tough game home or away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I dont believe the excuse SAF gave there for him not playing in the reserves. Surely after just 45 mins of a reserve game he is in no way ready to feature for the first team? Reserve games are exactly what he needs before he's ready for the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

According to Richard Steadman Hargo had the worst knees he'd seen in 35 years hopefully they're sorted now. Like most have said already i can't see why he's not getting some more game time in the reserves tonight. The Owen Hargreaves that last played for us would be a great asset to have for the run in but after 18 months out i don't see how he'll be able to have too much of an impact for the remainder of the season other then a few late appearances from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,708 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

some thing is rotten in the state of hargo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Headshot wrote: »
    some thing is rotten in the state of hargo

Ya, his knee cartilage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

O'Shea was on RTE last night seemingly and said he has asthma.

“Without a doubt I was worried it would affect my career. There's a bit of an embarrassment factor as well, before games when you are in a dressing room with friends and teammates and you have to pull out a little blue inhaler and take a puff.
    “Everyone is saying ‘what's he doing, what's he taking there?' but it's something you have to get over, really.” “It's kept me out of games,” the Waterford man admitted. “My advice to kids would be not to be ashamed of the inhalers that are there to help you and to make sure it (asthma) is just a small thing in your way.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I am baffled why the medical team at Old Trafford allowed his move from Bayern to go through. It was known at the time that he had issues (Maybe not to the extent that they spiralled to) and we still went and forked out £18million for him. Don't get me wrong he is a good footballer but it's been a disaster. He's made less than 30 appearances for UTD.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement