Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

VDS's form already dipped. Last season he wasn't as good as the season before. I expect that decline to continue.

Foster imo is going to be United's first choice keeper by the time VDS gets back. I think all he needs is a run of games to iron out some problems, and he'll be top class. I really do believe he'll probably be England's keeper in the World Cup, and to be honest, if he hadn't gotten injuried, he woulda pushed VDS last year.
    The real question I have over Foster is, can he stay fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

PHB wrote: »
    VDS's form already dipped. Last season he wasn't as good as the season before. I expect that decline to continue.

Foster imo is going to be United's first choice keeper by the time VDS gets back. I think all he needs is a run of games to iron out some problems, and he'll be top class. I really do believe he'll probably be England's keeper in the World Cup, and to be honest, if he hadn't gotten injuried, he woulda pushed VDS last year.
    The real question I have over Foster is, can he stay fit?

What are you basing that on?

I have seen every second of Foster and he makes me cringe, I have zero confidence in him. United the past couple of years have used VDS to great effect with a back pass to rebuild an attack, I don't want the ball going anywhere near this Bamby on Ice!!

Also Capello has already came out and stated more or less that James is his number one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Boggles wrote: »
    What are you basing that on?

I have seen every second of Foster and he makes me cringe, I have zero confidence in him. United the past couple of years have used VDS to great effect with a back pass to rebuild an attack, I don't want the ball going anywhere near this Bamby on Ice!!

Also Capello has already came out and stated more or less that James is his number one

Am I the only one who thinks he was excellent against Birmingham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

keane2097 wrote: »

he was very good,made a superb save from benitez but still makes me cringe all the time

fans saw him in the community shield and look how dodgy he was then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

You left out Schwarzer, best keeper in the league last year.

You're right I did. He's tier 2 in my book and had an incredible season last year, was a key reason that Fulham did so well and Middlesborough were relgated.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Cech and VDS aren't world class imo. They both make too many errors to be called world class. I'd have Schwarzer and Given ahead of both of them.

Needless to say I disagree with this.

I grant you that Cech hasn't come back as strong as he was before his injury, but I genuinely believe that's temporary and the more games he has the more subconciously comfortable he will become. I can see him getting back to his best, and at his best he is genuinely one of the best keepers in the world.

VDS has waned and is in the twilight of his career. It's fair to say that he's probably not world class any more, but he certainly was up until the last season or so. He's still a very good keeper, but he has been at the top of the world and played for some of the best teams in the world. As such I think he will be remembered as world-class.

Schwarzer & Given have never been truly world-class. Both excellent keepers and more than capable of producing phoenomenal performances on their day. Neither of them will be remembered as world-class in years to come though. They've won nothing of note with their respective teams, they've pretty much spent their careers playing for mid-table or relegation threatened sides. I don't see them as world class at all, and there's no way I'd rather have either of them in net in place of Cech although VDS is getting debatable at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    20 million, and buy which keeper?
    Headshot wrote: »
    Neuer

We're supposed to be tracking him according to the newspapers

20 million for Neuer? Asenjo went for €5 million :eek:

He's a good keeper, but Asenjo looks quality.

If we aren't willing to pay €5million for one of the best young keepers, then Fergie is happy with Foster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

any reports on the tracking of Neuer have been talking about an offer in the region of £7million...and for a keeper who has been superb in his early career and is showing plenty of potential to get even better, i say snap him up right now...even if we loan him back to Schalke until the end of the season and let VDS play out his last season as no.1 keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I thought Foster did very well against Birmingham too. Granted he does look nervous when a back pass comes his way, but with more games that nervousness will go.

I hope he proves a lot of people wrong. :D

I dont think Cech will ever be the same keeper again. Is it for medical reasons he still wears the srum cap or is it his choice? If it's his choice it's all in his head!
    You coul see in the Charity Shield that even his defenders are nervous when there is a 50-50 ball. Nani's goal is a prime example, I honestly think that Terry could have cleared that shot and he caught Cech in the corner of his eye and wouldn't kick out in case he caught him.
    This is the same John Terry who threw HIS head in places were others wouldnt put a boot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

keane2097 wrote: »

He was. A few people hae said it here too.

I think Joe Hart is a brilliant young keeper. I reckon he is a head of Foster in Capellos plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think Joe Hart is a brilliant young keeper. I reckon he is a head of Foster in Capellos plans.

Don't think there's much evidence of this. Hart was called up last week after Foster dropped out injured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I also like Hart, have been impressed with him any time I've seen him.

I'm not giving up on Foster just yet, but Hart would be a good one for the future if needed.

Dave! wrote: »
    I also like Hart, have been impressed with him any time I've seen him.

I'm not giving up on Foster just yet, but Hart would be a good one for the future if needed.
    City reject. In goal for United. Could never happen could it :D

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1132255_foster_ready_to_step_up_for_united
    BEN Foster aims to extend Edwin van der Sar's first team absence after overcoming his Wembley woe in the Community Shield.

United's veteran flying Dutchman has been Sir Alex Ferguson's unchallenged first choice since he was signed from Fulham in 2005.

But in his final campaign before his expected retirement Van der Sar now faces the battle of his Old Trafford life.

The 38-year-old suffered a broken finger and bone in his left hand during the pre-season Audi Cup penalty shoot-out with Bayern Munich in Germany.

Surgery has KO'd him for at least eight weeks and handed the initiative to 26-year-old Foster.

"I was happy with my contribution especially after last week. I was disappointed with my personal performance at Wembley," said Foster after the Birmingham win.

"It was good to bounce back and get a clean sheet. The most important thing was to get the three points but to get a clean sheet as well was good for me.

"I have got to give it all I have got now. Unfortunately, Edwin has suffered his injury and will be out for a period of time.

"I have to do what I can in the time that he is out and when he is back and fit again I have to hope I have done enough to stay where I am. The game against Birmingham was a tough match in the end. We had plenty of chances and should have made it a bit more comfortable than it was.

United defence

"Both defences played really well. We were happy with three points and a clean sheet.

"I was busier than I expected it to be. The first match is always going to see everyone up for it and you expect a few scares but we looked quite tired in the second half particularly late on and we made it more difficult for ourselves than it should have been."

United have been plunged into an early season defensive crisis with Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic missing the Birmingham opener with injuries. Both will miss tomorrow's match at Turf Moor against Burnley.

Jonny Evans is also set to be out of the visit to the Premier league newcomers. He was forced off on Sunday with an ankle problem.

Gary Neville and Rafael are both still unfit for action but Wes Brown came on as a sub on Sunday.

But Foster doesn't believe personnel disruptions will weaken the Reds.

"The players who came into defence are great," he added.

"John O'Shea and Jonny were fantastic. Fabio on the right is playing beyond his years. He is a fantastic talent.

"We have the players who can come in and do a job just as well as the others can."

Jesus lads I would be more comfortable with Joseph Fritzel taking my sister to the cinema than having Hart in goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

You can't really judge Foster until he's at least played a half dozen more games in the PL. He may have been dodge against Chelsea but he looked assured versus Brum. And another thing, don't goalies usually develop as opposed to being instantly world-class? Give the guy a chance to prove himself at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fister

Best. Typo. Ever.

At least if he doesn't make it as a 'keeper, he could always go into the pr0n business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You can't really judge Fister until he's at least played a half dozen more games in the PL. He may have been dodge against Chelsea but he looked assured versus Brum. And another thing, don't goalies usually develop as opposed to being instantly world-class? Give the guy a chance to prove himself at least.

This plus 1 million, jesus chirst some of you on here talking absolute rubbish in relation to Manchester United.

'we should sign a 20 million keeper' go back to the Liverpool thread.

RasTa wrote: »
    'we should sign a 20 million keeper' go back to the Liverpool thread.

Or we could just spend the 20 million like we did before on 4/5 shocking keepers.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Or we could just spend the 20 million like we did before on 4/5 shocking keepers.

Orrrr....we could allow Foster a chance to prove himself. And this means a proper chance. Not one game in a pre-season match and start saying he's dodgy, give him a run and maybe we dont need to spend any money!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

why does it have to be one or the other - why not spend wisely on a quality keeper, if we are going to buy him.

Neurer for instance seems to be rated at 7 to 10 million.

I'm sure most keepers in world football could be got for far less than 20 million. I could only see the established ones going for those prices and beyond and we simply aren't going to sign someone like Buffon or Casilas.

If we were going to spend the cash, we should spend big on a midfielder. CM should be the priority imo.

Or we could trust our manager who has touted him as a future England number one and actually give the guy a chance.

Or we could get a new keeper after one bad game.

Hmmmmmm.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Orrrr....we could allow Foster a chance to prove himself. And this means a proper chance. Not one game in a pre-season match and start saying he's dodgy, give him a run and maybe we dont need to spend any money!?

Finally!!! Someone that agrees :D

p_larkin99 wrote: »

He has his chance now.

My main problem with Foster is his attitude, the only time he is vocal is when he himself has made a mistake and he has a go at another player, deflecting blame.

I'd love to be proved wrong and Foster becomes the undoubted number 1, but having an even semi dodgy goaly costs leagues and has cost us league in the past, United can't allow him too much time to prove himself, it's the one position on the pitch there is no real time afforded to.

why does it have to be one or the other - why not spend wisely on a quality keeper, if we are going to buy him.

Neurer for instance seems to be rated at 7 to 10 million.

I'm sure most keepers in world football could be got for far less than 20 million. I could only see the established ones going for those prices and beyond and we simply aren't going to sign someone like Buffon or Casilas.

If we were going to spend the cash, we should spend big on a midfielder. CM should be the priority imo.
    Or we could trust our manager who has touted him as a future England number one and actually give the guy a chance.

Hmmmmmm.

Because I remember vividly the disaster of that posion position between Smeichael and VDS.

I it cost a measely 20 mill not to go back to those dark times, than so be it!

As Foster being touted as a future England number one, meh. James, Green, Robinson.

Lets just say he is not walking on the shoulders of giants.

Some of the youngsters headed out on loan.
    Tom Cleverley is the latest United player to join a lower-league side on loan.

The midfielder, 20, will play his football at Watford until 3 January 2010. It's Cleverley's second loan spell as a Red – last season he made 15 appearances for Leicester City in League One.

Cleverley may find himself lining up against two of his United team-mates in the Championship. Defender Danny Simpson will ply his trade at Newcastle United until 18 January, while Tom Heaton will keep goal on a three-month loan at Queens Park Rangers.

Elsewhere, midfielder Danny Drinkwater will play his football this season at League One side Huddersfield Town.

Sorry if it's been posted already.

• Advertisement

Because I remember vividly the disaster of that posion position between Smeichael and VDS.

I it cost a measely 20 mill not to go back to those dark times, than so be it!

As Foster being touted as a future England number one, meh. James, Green, Robinson.

Lets just say he is not walking on the shoulders of giants.

If the right player costs that much then fine.

However, i don't think we need to spend it till next summer, so for this season I would be quite happy to see Foster given a proper chance to show what he can do. You may have cringed every time the ball went near him on Sunday, but that has nothing to do with his performance on Sunday. He collected virtually every cross fine, when he came out he collected or punched well. He had a good game, and if he played to that level every week we'd be fine. The odd dodgy kick, but very few keepers in football will be as good with the ball at their feet as VDS so we have to be realistic there.

I hope Fergie gets it right with regards the keeper this time, but he was unlucky before.

Bosnich was a top keeper (within the PL) when we signed him - his attitude and drug habbits caught him. Barthez was considered to be one of the best in the world. Mad as a hatter, and made some high profile mistakes, which we never really gave him a chance to recover from. fergie panicked imo. Howard was very promising, and has shown at Everton that he is an extremely capable keeper. Fergie panicked there too imo. Taibi was just quite poor, a mistake made there alright. Carrol was a good quality back up keeper, should never have been more but Fergie panicked with Howard (imo).

nicklauski wrote: »
    Some of the youngsters headed out on loan.

Sorry if it's been posted already.

Good moves for Cleverly and Drinkwater - hopefully they will progress.

Not sure what to make of the Simpson loan, surprised he hasn't been sold to be honest.

Heaton is decent quality, unlikely to get much game time at QPR though.

Good moves for Cleverly and Drinkwater - hopefully they will progress.

Not sure what to make of the Simpson loan, surprised he hasn't been sold to be honest.

Heaton is decent quality, unlikely to get much game time at QPR though.

Surprised you left out the legend that is Andy Goram in your list of Goal Keepers there Mitch!
    :p:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

I hear Possebon cant even get a game in Portugal atm

I dont understand the thinking behind that loan move,shouldve loaned him out to a championship side

Should have been a clause that he must play 80% of the games if he is fit. Would have been an idea.

Hopefully he can get that injury out of his head and push on. He hasn't been the same since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

If the right player costs that much then fine.

However, i don't think we need to spend it till next summer, so for this season I would be quite happy to see Foster given a proper chance to show what he can do. You may have cringed every time the ball went near him on Sunday, but that has nothing to do with his performance on Sunday. He collected virtually every cross fine, when he came out he collected or punched well. He had a good game, and if he played to that level every week we'd be fine. The odd dodgy kick, but very few keepers in football will be as good with the ball at their feet as VDS so we have to be realistic there.

I hope Fergie gets it right with regards the keeper this time, but he was unlucky before.

Bosnich was a top keeper (within the PL) when we signed him - his attitude and drug habbits caught him. Barthez was considered to be one of the best in the world. Mad as a hatter, and made some high profile mistakes, which we never really gave him a chance to recover from. fergie panicked imo. Howard was very promising, and has shown at Everton that he is an extremely capable keeper. Fergie panicked there too imo. Taibi was just quite poor, a mistake made there alright. Carrol was a good quality back up keeper, should never have been more but Fergie panicked with Howard (imo).

I agree with all of this especially the bolded parts

Should have been a clause that he must play 80% of the games if he is fit. Would have been an idea.

Hopefully he can get that injury out of his head and push on. He hasn't been the same since.

i know Iv hated boro and Pogatetz with a passion since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I hear Possebon cant even get a game in Portugal atm

I dont understand the thinking behind that loan move,shouldve loaned him out to a championship side

the thinking behind it was probably something along the lines of it will be easier to flog him to a Portuguese side after the loan rather than to an English club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

the idea of hating a club because of 1 perons actions is a little silly Headshot, no?

Then why not send him to Lisbon on loan with a view to a permanent deal. Keep relations sweet, ya know :D

Mr Alan wrote: »
    the idea of hating a club because of 1 perons actions is a little silly Headshot, no?

you always ask me that question and I always give you the same answer

Most people on this forum seem to hate Hull because of Phil Brown and any team Neil Warnock manages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you always ask me that question and I always give you the same answer

wat was that again? (genuinely)

Then why not send him to Lisbon on loan with a view to a permanent deal. Keep relations sweet, ya know :D

probably keep them sweeter by not trying to offload him on to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Iago wrote: »
    Needless to say I disagree with this.
    I grant you that Cech hasn't come back as strong as he was before his injury, but I genuinely believe that's temporary and the more games he has the more subconciously comfortable he will become. I can see him getting back to his best, and at his best he is genuinely one of the best keepers in the world.

VDS has waned and is in the twilight of his career. It's fair to say that he's probably not world class any more, but he certainly was up until the last season or so. He's still a very good keeper, but he has been at the top of the world and played for some of the best teams in the world. As such I think he will be remembered as world-class.

Schwarzer & Given have never been truly world-class. Both excellent keepers and more than capable of producing phoenomenal performances on their day. Neither of them will be remembered as world-class in years to come though. They've won nothing of note with their respective teams, they've pretty much spent their careers playing for mid-table or relegation threatened sides. I don't see them as world class at all, and there's no way I'd rather have either of them in net in place of Cech although VDS is getting debatable at this stage.
    But it doesn't matter how you think players are going to be remembered or what clubs they are at. It only matters how good they are at the moment and what sort of potential you think they have. Ok so you think Cech can recover his pre-injury form. He's taking his time doing it but, sure, it might happen. However, right now it's incorrect to say Cech and VDS are as good as Given and Schwarzer imo.
    He has his chance now.

My main problem with Foster is his attitude, the only time he is vocal is when he himself has made a mistake and he has a go at another player, deflecting blame.

I'd love to be proved wrong and Foster becomes the undoubted number 1, but having an even semi dodgy goaly costs leagues and has cost us league in the past, United can't allow him too much time to prove himself, it's the one position on the pitch there is no real time afforded to.
    Might as well just wait and see Boggles. He's going to be playing for a few weeks now with VDS' injury and his game could well improve during that time, just getting used to the pressure and finding his form. He improved so much between the Chelsea and Birmingham games he deserves a chance to try and prove himself worthy. I hope he gets at least two good runs in the team this season then we can decide if he's good enough or not in time for the summer window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Pro. F wrote: »
    Might as well just wait and see Boggles. He's going to be playing for a few weeks now with VDS' injury and his game could well improve during that time, just getting used to the pressure and finding his form. He improved so much between the Chelsea and Birmingham games he deserves a chance to try and prove himself worthy. I hope he gets at least two good runs in the team this season then we can decide if he's good enough or not in time for the summer window.

Agree with most you say here apart from the two good runs. If he performs well enough now he should stay in the team, if not well then we can't go putting him during the season if VDS is fit, and Foster failed this time round. Sink or Swim time I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    LADS!

Got my United jersey (at 2 for my mates) from www.yoursoccershirts.com today.

Cost me €25.50 including postage, name, numbers and patch.

They are not fake, they are the real thing. 100% perfect. My mates who i also bought the shirts for came to get them and they were blown away by the quality.

http://i31.tinypic.com/23ue9ht.jpg
    Colour doesnt look the best on this cuz i had the flash on, its actually the correct colour.
    http://i25.tinypic.com/15xty88.jpg
    Had to give a close up of the sleeve with is 100% accurate, also the prem champs patch.
    http://i32.tinypic.com/73h1tv.jpg
    Not sure if you can see the patterns on the fabric on the back, really nice.
    http://i32.tinypic.com/2hge1kj.jpg

Pics are too huge to so i had to just link.

Thanks for that.

http://www.bornprosper.com/cart/detail.asp?id=1437

Was gonna get one from here for 16€ but seeing as you're convinced your one is real, i may just go for it:)

How long since you ordered it btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Agree with most you say here apart from the two good runs. If he performs well enough now he should stay in the team, if not well then we can't go putting him during the season if VDS is fit, and Foster failed this time round. Sink or Swim time I'm afraid.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. I just don't know if Fergie will not pick VDS when he returns, no matter how well Foster is playing. It's a tricky one. Either way, I trust Fergie to make the right choice on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

VDS has to be first choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Hmmmmmm.

In fairness Sir Alex could hardly say he didn't think he could be England's number 1. As was said above, it's not as if he has much competition.

I think Foster was a punt on a keeper who might turn out to useful. But I get the feeling that Foster will never really make it as number one at United. Short term stop-gap maybe his limit. He is too error prone. Forget about pre-season mistakes, I am thinking of when he was on loan at Watford. He was very poor on crosses (think of last season against Sunderland), poor distribution and prone to handling errors. He got away with it because it was Watford and he had plenty of opportunities to pull off eye catching saves. But at United where he might have 3 things to do in a game, I wouldn't trust him at all.

The English media always play up any young keeper and ignore their mistakes, hoping that they turn out to be the new Gordon Banks, but in reality they never make it. I'd add Foster to the list of the likes of Chris Kirkland, Rob Green, Ian Walker etc. Decent for a mid table team but no higher than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

http://www.bornprosper.com/cart/detail.asp?id=1437

Was gonna get one from here for 16€ but seeing as you're convinced your one is real, i may just go for it:)

How long since you ordered it btw?

It took 10 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Shirt looks quality Mikey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

i think we need a player like modric or arshavin anyone agree?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

i think we need a player like modric or arshavin anyone agree?
    To be honest, I think Rooney would be great in midfield. Maybe I'm just crazy though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

To be honest, I think Rooney would be great in midfield. Maybe I'm just crazy though.

I've always thought Rooney would make a great attacking midfielder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement